Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stoner wrote: »
    I see that the Philips core led 4.5 w is now giving 345 lumens at 3000K A big increase in the 180 they had before and the 270 lumens on the market last year.

These are non dimable would fit that price range and are available in warm white.

Note that the warmer many of these lamps are, the less lumens available. That's why early ones, and street light leds look a little cold and blue, to max the output.

How would those lumens compare to a 50W 12v halogen do you think?
    I need to swap out a few spots for my brother and he doesn't need dimmable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

josip wrote: »
    How would those lumens compare to a 50W 12v halogen do you think?
    I need to swap out a few spots for my brother and he doesn't need dimmable
    Not as good 12v can get 600 to 900 lumens

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sirlion

I'm in the process of renovating my home and am going to be putting LED downlights in the kitchen.
    I've been trying to research which are the best type to get but am a bit overwhelmed by all the information out there.....

Can anyone recommend what type would be good for a kitchen?

I'm also considering getting some LED strips to put under the kitchen cabinets as an extra.
    This lighting would just be for decoration and not to light the area. Ideally I would like the LED strips that can change colour.
    My idea would be to have these connected to a normal light switch. All of the light strips I have seen come with a power supply that you plug into a socket so I dont know if I could get them connected up to a light switch.
    Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is do I need to get a particular type of LED strip? Or any other extra equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Hi I'm looking to replace the overhead bulbs in the house with LED bulbs. They are nearly all your regular incandescent "bayonet" bulbs, which I believe are called B22d? Can I just get some of these? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Intifada, at the price of those bulbs, CFL are probably a better bet...
    Can anyone recommend some "warm" non-dimmable GU10 LED bulbs.

I put some Phillips 5w in the kitchen and they are perfect but looking for something a little warmer for the hallways and other living areas

Budget €5 -€10 per bulb

the osram 5.3w GU10 are great, very warm light and actually brighter than the 50w halogens that they replaced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Those aren't for single bulbs, e.g. the £14.99 for 'LE 4.5W G45 B22 Bayonet LED Bulb' is for 5 of them.

Those aren't for single bulbs, e.g. the £14.99 for 'LE 4.5W G45 B22 Bayonet LED Bulb' is for 5 of them.
    sorry only realised that after I had posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Has anyone ever installed the phillips hue system? Was looking at a job today, just a small one but the customer has bought a phillips hue kit, all looks very straight forward and someone else will be doing the programming. Im really wondering what happens with the light switch does it get bypassed or does the customer just leave it in the on position? I had a quick look at the website but its more about how great the product is.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 peterwhit

the osram 5.3w GU10 are great, very warm light and actually brighter than the 50w halogens that they replaced!

from what I can find, your quoted osram bulbs(1) emit about 350 lumens, versus an osram 50w halogen(2) emitting 620 lumens. I have the latter in my house and am looking into replaceing them, but not if they're half the brightness!

(1) ***.osram.*om/osram_com/products/led-technology/lamps/professional-led-reflector-lamps/parathom-par16-advanced/index.jsp?productId=ZMP_1070846

(2) ***.osram.*om/_apps/products/product_details_tab.jsp?productId=ZMP_57738&classificationId=GPS01_1027732&coid=28578

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

As an update to this thread. Check the 10 Pack GU10 6W LED Beautiful Warm White Colour 50w Replacement for Halogen bulb with New Chip Technology with 2 Year Warranty [Energy Class A+] sold on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

has anybody got any of the latest prices for the phillips 4w gu10 led??????

if i remember correctly eurosales were doing them for €11 each,

are they still supplying them at that price or cheaper or has anyone sourced them cheaper from anywhere else???

steve

unless the philips 4w have improved since I bought 13 of then from eurosales a few years back for the family home, they wouldnt be my bulb of choice (I am actually looking at selling the philips if anyone is interested (I plan on replacing them with Osram5.3w). I have osram 5.3w in the apartment I am in now and the light output is different league...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

unless the philips 4w have improved since I bought 13 of then from eurosales a few years back for the family home, they wouldnt be my bulb of choice (I am actually looking at selling the philips if anyone is interested (I plan on replacing them with Osram5.3w). I have osram 5.3w in the apartment I am in now and the light output is different league...
    They have improved a good bit. From about 180 lumens to 345

Recently bought a couple of cool whites from Eurosales for 11 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭amandstu

I understand the low voltage bulbs are better .

So is it a professional job replacing an old incandescent light bulb with a new low voltage led bulb.?

Do I need to put a transformer in the circuit (I am very amateur and so may be off base here) ?

Would it be simpler to just buy a 220v led bulb if I am just putting it in the one spot?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

amandstu wrote: »
    I understand the low voltage bulbs are better

Incandescent can be.
    So is it a professional job replacing an old incandescent light bulb with a new low voltage led bulb.?

A competent DIYer may be capable of doing this work. If in doubt get an electrician.
    Do I need to put a transformer in the circuit (I am very amateur and so may be off base here) ?

This is required for some lights such as a 12 volt downlighter.
    Would it be simpler to just buy a 220v led bulb if I am just putting it in the one spot?

Generally, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks ,2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Anyone ever buy from LED Vista? Placed on order almost 3 weeks ago now and it's still listed as 'processing' and they don't answer emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

lgk wrote: »
    Anyone ever buy from LED Vista? Placed on order almost 3 weeks ago now and it's still listed as 'processing' and they don't answer emails.
    I have ordered from them a few times never had any issues with bulbs or delivery, they are a little more expensive but found the bulbs to be good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wouldn't agree that low voltage is better. Mains LED are a lot less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent good quality 230v gu 10 led bulb,I'm replacing the ones I have because the light out of them ain't great,any advice would be great,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

did u read the sticky on LED's at top of this forum?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent good quality 230v gu 10 led bulb,I'm replacing the ones I have because the light out of them ain't great,any advice would be great,cheers.

Phillips dimmer led gu10 bulbs. great bulbs and you save a fortune over the years. uses 10 times less electricity than regular 50 watt

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/6x-Phillips-LED-5-5w-dimmable-lamp-/271756653011?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3f45f571d3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Robus 4.5W LED blubs (equivalent of 35-40W halogen), installed some recently very happy with them. From the likes of meteor electrical they are €8 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

Looking at changing out the 50w gu10 halogens in my kitchen and hall, but was holding off because the 4w led replacements didn't appear to offer as much light (we have 8 gu10's in the kitchen).

I see that Ikea now have a 6.5w version of their ledare gu10 bulb that's rated at 400l, but can't find any reviews online for them. Does anybody here gave experience of these bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was thinking of ordering but Light output: 240 Lumen, would these be not be that bright and cant see on box is that 3 or 4 watt ?

cletus wrote: »
    Looking at changing out the 50w gu10 halogens in my kitchen and hall, but was holding off because the 4w led replacements didn't appear to offer as much light (we have 8 gu10's in the kitchen).

I see that Ikea now have a 6.5w version of their ledare gu10 bulb that's rated at 400l, but can't find any reviews online for them. Does anybody here gave experience of these bulbs?

Don't know about the Ikea ones but we have the 8W Philips Master LEDs that are rated at 430lm. They were slightly, but noticeably, dimmer than the 50W halogens when we swapped them out. We very rarely dim the LED spots now, whereas we used to dim the halogens occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

Changing to low voltage requires an LED driver and some basic electrical knowledge. Always turn off the power at the consumer unit just in case as electrical installations can have the mains voltage wired through the celing light meaning that when the switch is off you can still have 240v at the light regardless. If you're unsure get a sparks in.

IMO LV voltage LEDs are unnecessary. You're adding another component i.e. the driver which increases overall potential error in the circuit. Get a good quality mains LED and you're sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I replaced 3 halogen GU10s in a single spotlight fitting with 4W LEDs, but the light switch started buzzing.

If I put one of the halogens back in the buzzing stops (so that's how I've left it for now). There is a dimmer on the other switch for this fitting, but I never actually dim the lights and its the non-dimmer switch that's buzzing - any ideas?

Advertisement