Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Yeah but it was only a week or two ago statistics were released showing that crime overall had fallen. I don't know why that is. Though these armed robbery type crimes are on the up, overall crime is down for some reason. And its prob those statistics shatter would use to justify not lifting recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Yeah but wasn't shatter meeting with the commissioner today to discuss the new task force to deal with all the tiger kidnappings and armed robberies lately? probably will just mean a few promotions to be signed off but ya never know

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

I would reckon that the robberies are the result of the large drug capture a while back, now they are getting squeezed for the money to pay for it just a thought, so as soon as they have the money i would say the robberies will subside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Maybe to a certain extent but I highly doubt every single one is all because of lost drugs, the most recent one in Raheny was done with knives, hardly a weapon of choice for a criminal gang with access to major fire power, id say that one was done by someone very close to home

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toptrumps

.............tumbleweed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

my god, is there ever going to be any movement again..... crazy to think it will be 5 years next may when i applied... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i was wondering

how do panel members feel about, if they got a call to start training tomorrow, that they would be on severely reduced salaries then when they first applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mick3001

Personally man I dont think I could do the job for 23k or whatever the number stands at now.
    It would be just such a huge step down in wage for me that I think my family and friends would probably have me committed to an asylum!

But, I would love to do the job so much that it would still be a huge temptation and id have a preety big decision to make!

net pay as of 1/1/11 according to GRA website calculations is 396.97 for a newly attested garda

after 17 years you will earn 579.52 net

that really is poor money

what do panel members think?

even on the wage i earn in an entry level position on the bottom payscale, id still be taking a financial hit in joining AGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I took the decision to remove myself from the panel, just couldn't do it. Financial commitments, family commitments, the thoughts of leaving my well paid 9 to 5 job among other things influenced it. It's a shame but realism has to outweigh the heart !

• Advertisement

I wonder how many more are in the same boat graciefacey

what once was a good paying job is no more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 newposter12

WilcoOut wrote: »
    I wonder how many more are in the same boat graciefacey

what once was a good paying job is no more

There's no doubt new rates are criminal,old pay rates were great especially for those for whom AGS was their first ever job.It's still a secure job though,a garda knows that he/she will have a job to go to tomorrow.Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost in private sector and counting since 2008 ,not one complusory redundancy in public sector.

There's no doubt new rates are criminal,old pay rates were great especially for those for whom AGS was their first ever job.It's still a secure job though,a garda knows that he/she will have a job to go to tomorrow.Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost in private sector and counting since 2008 ,not one complusory redundancy in public sector.

Well not till after the Croke Park agreement is finished 2014, then we will see what happens, they cant touch anything at the present time till after that anyway.
    Minister for Expenditure & Reform Brendan Howlin said that as long as Croke Park continued to deliver savings and reforms, there would be no pay cuts or compulsory redundancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 newposter12

bluetop wrote: »
    Well not till after the Croke Park agreement is finished 2014, then we will see what happens, they cant touch anything at the present time till after that anyway.

That's true but I can't see them making frontline workers jump ship and even if they did it would be gardai on the higher end of the pay scale.

That's true but I can't see them making frontline workers jump ship and even if they did it would be gardai on the higher end of the pay scale.

If they done that it would make no sense, they would have to promote others to fill the gap, which would mean an increase of wages for the next person so no savings there to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

McCoy wrote: »
    my god, is there ever going to be any movement again..... crazy to think it will be 5 years next may when i applied... :(

Hi to everyone frustrated, bored stiff and still waiting on the panel.

Just remember we are still on the panel, nobody has told us officially to forget about it yet. We have to keep this thread alive people an stay positive, keep fit and be ready to redo the medical and pct. Things could change quickly in the new year depending on retirements. Its the only way to deal with the torture of not knowing whats going to happen.

This is the career we want so we cant give up hope now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 beingrealistic

Redno,I was also on the panel I say 'was' because there isn't going to be recruitment.I would say like myself 99.9% of panel have already moved on.
    Shatter has said that numbers will be let drop to AT LEAST 13,000 and even if they were to be left at 13,000 that allows for little/no recruitment.I seen one article where Shatter said those guards who are over 50 wont be in a rush to retire,they would have left before pension cut.

Whether you were on the panel or waiting to apply both viewpoints are very bleak,such is the goverments endeavour to cut garda numbers when they do recruit in three to four years it'll be on such a tiny scale it'll be like the moratorium was never lifted.Shatter doesnt know when embargo will be lifted aka a politicians way of saying not in the near future!

Its harsh but its out of our control,best of luck to those that were on panel and those who will apply in future campaigns,ciao!

Redno,I was also on the panel I say 'was' because there isn't going to be recruitment.I would say like myself 99.9% of panel have already moved on.
    Shatter has said that numbers will be let drop to AT LEAST 13,000 and even if they were to be left at 13,000 that allows for little/no recruitment.I seen one article where Shatter said those guards who are over 50 wont be in a rush to retire,they would have left before pension cut.

Whether you were on the panel or waiting to apply both viewpoints are very bleak,such is the goverments endeavour to cut garda numbers when they do recruit in three to four years it'll be on such a tiny scale it'll be like the moratorium was never lifted.Shatter doesnt know when embargo will be lifted aka a politicians way of saying not in the near future!

Its harsh but its out of our control,best of luck to those that were on panel and those who will apply in future campaigns,ciao!

I know what your saying being realistic but until I get a letter through the door or a phonecall to say its not going to happen I will not give up hope.

Maybe your right it might never happen but when they do start recruiting again we should be ready to go barring a repeat pct and medical. If they scrap the panel after all this it will be an absolute disgrace and a total waste of money but nothing surprises me anymore in this country.

redno.3 wrote: »
    I know what your saying being realistic but until I get a letter through the door or a phonecall to say its not going to happen I will not give up hope.

Maybe your right it might never happen but when they do start recruiting again we should be ready to go barring a repeat pct and medical. If they scrap the panel after all this it will be an absolute disgrace and a total waste of money but nothing surprises me anymore in this country.

Why would it be a total waste of money, at the present time by not taking on recruits they are saving money, so thats a no brainer for them for a start

No Garda recruitment on horizon

The rate of Garda retirements is running well ahead of expectations but recruitment is unlikely to start again until 2014 at the earliest because a key end-of-year target under the terms of the EU-IMF bailout has been missed.

The number of members of the force was to have been cut to 13,000 by the end of 2012 but remains at 13,440.

Minister for Justice and Defence Alan Shatter yesterday pointed out that under the terms of the EU-IMF programme, Garda numbers must fall to “at least” 13,000.

He said it was possible numbers might fall below that level and he could give no assurances on when Garda recruitment might start again.

“The last Garda graduation was in March-April 2011 so we still have a force of a relatively young age,” he told the Oireachtas Select Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality.

Mr Shatter was responding to questions from Niall Collins TD (FF) who pointed out that Garda training took two years from the initial point of recruitment to graduation.

Numbers were being run down at the same time that Garda stations were closing. Communities were very worried and he urged Mr Shatter to begin Garda recruitment again next year.

Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan said last week that he would not like to see Garda numbers fall below 13,000.

No recruitment drive

While unable yesterday to say definitively how many Garda members would retire next year, some of the figures set out by Mr Shatter suggested any new recruitment drive would not occur in the near future.

In the Garda budget for 2012, the commissioner had made provision for the payment of 375 retirement lump sums.

However, the year had seen 470 retirements, leaving a force of 13,440; far above the 13,000 target for 2012 in the bailout conditions.

Mr Shatter said the offer of more favourable pension arrangements for public servants who retired before the end of February had resulted in some Garda members retiring who otherwise would have stayed on.

There were 1,200 Garda members with 30 years of service who were entitled to retire, although there was no indication a significant number of these were about to retire, Mr Shatter said. However, sources said with 2012 having seen a spike in retirements, the rate of departures next year was likely to be slower.

“Everyone who was of a mind to go early is now probably gone,” said one source.

Numbers in force

It means that by the end of next year, numbers in the force will still not be down to 13,000 from their current level of 13,440.

With Mr Shatter pointing out that the force might be allowed to fall below 13,000 members, it would mean numbers had between 12 and 18 months, perhaps longer, to continue falling before the Government would be forced to step in and begin recruitment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Why would it be a total waste of money, at the present time by not taking on recruits they are saving money, so thats a no brainer for them for a start

No Garda recruitment on horizon

The rate of Garda retirements is running well ahead of expectations but recruitment is unlikely to start again until 2014 at the earliest because a key end-of-year target under the terms of the EU-IMF bailout has been missed.

The number of members of the force was to have been cut to 13,000 by the end of 2012 but remains at 13,440.

Minister for Justice and Defence Alan Shatter yesterday pointed out that under the terms of the EU-IMF programme, Garda numbers must fall to “at least” 13,000.

He said it was possible numbers might fall below that level and he could give no assurances on when Garda recruitment might start again.

“The last Garda graduation was in March-April 2011 so we still have a force of a relatively young age,” he told the Oireachtas Select Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality.

Mr Shatter was responding to questions from Niall Collins TD (FF) who pointed out that Garda training took two years from the initial point of recruitment to graduation.

Numbers were being run down at the same time that Garda stations were closing. Communities were very worried and he urged Mr Shatter to begin Garda recruitment again next year.

Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan said last week that he would not like to see Garda numbers fall below 13,000.

No recruitment drive

While unable yesterday to say definitively how many Garda members would retire next year, some of the figures set out by Mr Shatter suggested any new recruitment drive would not occur in the near future.

In the Garda budget for 2012, the commissioner had made provision for the payment of 375 retirement lump sums.

However, the year had seen 470 retirements, leaving a force of 13,440; far above the 13,000 target for 2012 in the bailout conditions.

Mr Shatter said the offer of more favourable pension arrangements for public servants who retired before the end of February had resulted in some Garda members retiring who otherwise would have stayed on.

There were 1,200 Garda members with 30 years of service who were entitled to retire, although there was no indication a significant number of these were about to retire, Mr Shatter said. However, sources said with 2012 having seen a spike in retirements, the rate of departures next year was likely to be slower.

“Everyone who was of a mind to go early is now probably gone,” said one source.

Numbers in force

It means that by the end of next year, numbers in the force will still not be down to 13,000 from their current level of 13,440.

With Mr Shatter pointing out that the force might be allowed to fall below 13,000 members, it would mean numbers had between 12 and 18 months, perhaps longer, to continue falling before the Government would be forced to step in and begin recruitment again.

That is a death knell if I ever saw one :(:(
    The sinister minister :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

this government, being as backward as they are, may decide to recruit just when you'd least expect it.... just when its least economically feasible... kind of "ye want bad government ???? I'll show ye bad government" ... unlikely I know but I'm clutching at straws here

this government, being as backward as they are, may decide to recruit just when you'd least expect it.... just when its least economically feasible... kind of "ye want bad government ???? I'll show ye bad government" ... unlikely I know but I'm clutching at straws here

This government cant do anything without approval from europe, thats the bottom line.

13,000 gardai in the good times was probably more than enough but not now. Ah whatever, more waiting and wondering!

its pretty farcical to be fair, only in this country would a panel of however many people it is be left to sit and rott after such a long, expensive and arduous recruitment process. I know of course the economic factors make it impossible to recruit at the moment, but I do really feel that at least a phone call or letter is deserved at this stage, I'm sure there are people who have actually put their lives on hold for over four years now. I don't feel that I'm owed a career for being on the panel nor have I ever felt that way, just a simple acknowledgment is all.

its pretty farcical to be fair, only in this country would a panel of however many people it is be left to sit and rott after such a long, expensive and arduous recruitment process. I know of course the economic factors make it impossible to recruit at the moment, but I do really feel that at least a phone call or letter is deserved at this stage, I'm sure there are people who have actually put their lives on hold for over four years now. I don't feel that I'm owed a career for being on the panel nor have I ever felt that way, just a simple acknowledgment is all.

I have put my life on hold anyway. I'm lucky I have a job at the moment and it pays the bills just about. Very frustrating but what can ya do?

redno.3 wrote: »
    I have put my life on hold anyway. I'm lucky I have a job at the moment and it pays the bills just about. Very frustrating but what can ya do?

The wages in the full time is not going to be much better than what you are getting now, especially as they will have trimmed off all the extra's for the new members, plus the retirement package will be the same trimmed for new entrants, best do your homework before you even intend to sign up when ever that will be.

The wages in the full time is not going to be much better than what you are getting now, especially as they will have trimmed off all the extra's for the new members, plus the retirement package will be the same trimmed for new entrants, best do your homework before you even intend to sign up when ever that will be.

Believe me I have done my homework bluetop. Its not actually about the money for me, its the career I want. Are you on the the panel as well yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Hey all, very quiet on here. Has anyone gotten a letter recently to state they were no longer on the panel for any particular reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

kdarragh wrote: »
    Hey all, very quiet on here. Has anyone gotten a letter recently to state they were no longer on the panel for any particular reason??

Hi kdarragh, I am on this tedious panel and have not received any letter to say I was no longer on the panel. Lot of pressure put on Shatter lately and hopefully he will get the boot from his post as he is deluded as to what is going on. Heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 G man 69

For ages the government have been saying ,it's upto the Troika to decide on when theres going to be recruitment.
    People this is NOT true. Its the government who decide, Europe just oversees our finances, they don't decide how money is spent.
    HSE went 100's of millions over budget, doctors and consultants being recruited all the time, education went over budget, teachers still being recruited, Social welfare millions over budget, very little cuts to that and sooo on.
    Troika don't give a damn about how many Gardai, teachers, doctors, soldiers etc etc we have, they just want to see "improvements" on how funds are spent.
    Commissioner has shown that he can make cuts and this looks good to Shatter, then Shatter looks good to his boss, thats what its all about. Its about those at the top keeping their positions, nothing more.
    Have you seen any cuts to the number of polititians we have????? NO, none and have Europe said anything?????NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Hey Ladies and Gents, finally some concrete news! They are set to take down a "select few" from the panel by the end of the year. I contacted the Gaurd who looked after recruitment in my area. He doesn't know the details about what is meant by a "select few". As far as he's concerned its set in stone that recruits will be down by 2014. The Commissioner has been pushing recruitment since mid 2012 (obviously behind closed doors). Are many people still interested??

Advertisement