Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIS for the second time-waiting time still 20 weeks?Mod warning post 437

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Finally got through on the phone after 25 mins. Was speaking to a very nice lady. My claim is with a deciding officer I should hear within the week whether they will require more info or award it.

I got the letter on Friday. Claim has been sorted. I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

sent in my renewal 5 weeks ago and have heard nothing back. should i be worried ?

sent in my renewal 5 weeks ago and have heard nothing back. should i be worried ?

When is your renewal date? I wouldn't worry. Mine wasnt lodged on the first Thursday of the new period but it was lodged the following Monday and all back to normal since.

renewal date was 8th of may.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    When is your renewal date? I wouldn't worry. Mine wasnt lodged on the first Thursday of the new period but it was lodged the following Monday and all back to normal since.

I'd send them an email. Maybe it's with a deciding officer. My renewal was 23rd of may.

rang today. bloke i spoke to said it was with a deciding officer but was surprised it was taking this long

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jean1958

Has anyboby heard of a new rule regarding children over 18 who are still in school. I sent in a letter from the school stating my son will be in full-time education till June 2014, but we were assesed at the income level for 2 children, instead of 3. When I rang yesterday I was told to get another letter in September and send in to FIS and we will be re-assesed. I searched the SW site but no mention about a new rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jean1958 wrote: »
    Has anyboby heard of a new rule regarding children over 18 who are still in school. I sent in a letter from the school stating my son will be in full-time education till June 2014, but we were assesed at the income level for 2 children, instead of 3. When I rang yesterday I was told to get another letter in September and send in to FIS and we will be re-assesed. I searched the SW site but no mention about a new rule.
    That isnt a new rule that was always the case.If a child is over 18 and a renewal is sent in while the child would be on summer break a new cert needs to be sent into them when the child returns in September.Same thing for a child in college.

Thanks, when I rang the girl I was talking to said it's a new rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mom 77

Jean did they say will you get the payment for your son back dated .? what was your renewal .date?

Our renewal date 26th June, but I have to send in another letter from the school in September and we will be reassesed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Shazza 1982

FIS was supposed to be renewed by last Thursday, instead a social welfare inspector is calling to my house. She says it is quite common and was very nice on the phone, I have nothing to hide however I am still a little nervous :( Has anyone else had a visit from an inspector re their FIS claim?? Please share experiences !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Albert X

FIS was supposed to be renewed by last Thursday, instead a social welfare inspector is calling to my house. She says it is quite common and was very nice on the phone, I have nothing to hide however I am still a little nervous :( Has anyone else had a visit from an inspector re their FIS claim?? Please share experiences !!

Are you related to the person you work for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Shazza 1982

No :D Is that a reason

No :D Is that a reason

It is one of only 3 reasons that I know of that it goes to an inspector, the other 2 are having income from renting and a partner being self employed. maybe they have changed the rules though.

An Inspector called to me a few years ago. He just asked a few questions and everything was fine, a nice man in fairness. I'm just an ordinary paye worker nothing else to declare.

inspector called to me last yr no reason given just to make sure all was still same, annoying having them call as it delayed my claim just make sure after they call to ring fis to see if their report is sent back as without this your fis will take longer to be renewed, nice man who called to me tho, he also calld to my workplace to ensure i do 19hrs,

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cayhol

Does anyone know how long it takes once its with the deciding officer?

Or does anyone know if there is much of a backlog at the moment?

• Advertisement

Please does anyone know,renewal was due today and nothing there :-(

cayhol wrote: »
    Please does anyone know,renewal was due today and nothing there :-(

It's a mixed bag at the moment, some people are getting their renewals right away, others are waiting 7 weeks.

If your claim is in before it runs out most claims are getting processed without a break in payment and the rest are processed with only 1 weeks break. Anyone waiting longer its usually because they have failed to provide all the details, there is another DSP claim pending , its gone to the inspectors or the claim wasnt sent in before the renewal date.
    If everything is in order then the majority are processed within a week of it stopping.

we sent in all the information well in advance so hopefully we Will get it by next week x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 overthepond

I wondered if anyone knows the current waiting times for new FIS claims.

I am an EU citizen and my wife is non-EU. My wife started working in March 2013 (which she is entitled to under EU law) and we made the application for FIS in early
    July 2013 after my wife received her Stamp 4 (Residency card).

I am self-employed and sent extensive details of my earnings and expenses.

Am I right in assuming that the FIS payment will be backdated to the application date (not the date when my wife started working) as my wife needed a Stamp 4 to make a FIS claim and her right to work is only recognised from that date by Irish law?

Since my wife is on a zero-hours contract her hours differ from week to week. Last week she worked around 24 hours. This week though it looks like she may work 18
    hours. Will this be a problem as it will be over 38 hours a fortnight?

My wife's work is seasonal and is expected to finish in early October. If it turns out to be less than 3 months and the application for FIS is still pending could
    the claim be disallowed?

Thank you in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

Hi,

How long before your renewal date should you receive renewal application in the post. My renewal date is the start of September

This is a new claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 foxlyn1234

I could be wrong but when you are self-employed you are not entitled to FIS, I know it is your wife who is applying but you are seen as one as you are married. I know when my husband applied for it a few years ago we were denied. I was not working so I don't want to send you a negative reply. Someone who has similar employment as you and your wife is best suited to answer your queries, sorry

Does anyone know the wait time now? My renewal date is today and the thoughts of repeating the long wait as last years scares me to death. The feedback over recent months saying the waits is short is great. Has anyone received FIS this week and their renewal was this week or last week?
    Thanks

Hi foxlyn1234

They shouldn't have denied you a few years ago. As a couple you need to work more than 38 hours a fortnight, but you can do self-employment in addition. Money earned from self employment will be taken into account when calculating your entitlement.

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

• Advertisement

Hi foxlyn1234

They shouldn't have denied you a few years ago. As a couple you need to work more than 38 hours a fortnight, but you can do self-employment in addition. Money earned from self employment will be taken into account when calculating your entitlement.

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

It looks like foxlyn wasn't working and her spouse only had self employment so it was correct that they were refused.

@foxlyn1234
    there is a very small waiting time ,FIS claims are being processed the week they are expiring so in many cases the applicant doesn't miss a payment(no gap) others that haven't issued in time are going in with a 1 week break in payment.
    There is the usual delays if the application isn't fully completed/missing paper work,other welfare claim needed to be processed first or if it needs to be sent to an inspector but the majority of claims are processed with a week of expiry.

Advertisement