Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If Kildare are to make the breakthrough this has to be the year for it. You'd have to feel the Early and Doyle will be on the wane after this year, i think its the strongest panel Kildare have ever assembled, nearly 2 players for each position save for a couple of must haves in the team. Hopefully Seanie will have a part to play in it all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If Kildare are to make the breakthrough this has to be the year for it. You'd have to feel the Early and Doyle will be on the wane after this year, i think its the strongest panel Kildare have ever assembled, nearly 2 players for each position save for a couple of must haves in the team. Hopefully Seanie will have a part to play in it all

Earley has had little or no involvement over last year and a half tbh, cruciate as far as I know. Now he is apparently getting back to business but I have to say he has been an absolute legend that puts himself on the line year in and out if he announces retirement fair play to him. Doyle I think has a year or two left though he is super fit and I can't see him wanting to hang boots up anytime soon!!

I don't think this is the year Kildare HAVE to win it but they need to take a step further..

God I'm really excited bout Offaly game now

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Earley has had little or no involvement over last year and a half tbh, cruciate as far as I know. Now he is apparently getting back to business but I have to say he has been an absolute legend that puts himself on the line year in and out if he announces retirement fair play to him. Doyle I think has a year or two left though he is super fit and I can't see him wanting to hang boots up anytime soon!!

I don't think this is the year Kildare HAVE to win it but they need to take a step further..

God I'm really excited bout Offaly game now

CILL DARA ABÚ
    would that make Kildare favourites for the Leinster?
    Or simply the most dashing team all in white?

Or does what you have to say have ANYTHING to do with the title which is about a certain player looking to make a controversial club transfer across county boundaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Or does what you have to say have ANYTHING to do with the title which is about a certain player looking to make a controversial club transfer across county boundaries?
    Jesus mate relax. He was simply answering a question put forward by someone else.

Jog on munchkin your not a mod so wind your neck in!!!

• Advertisement

Also he isn't looking to be transferred little man he transferred a few days ago so shows what you know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Also he isn't looking to be transferred little man he transferred a few days ago so shows what you know
    :confused: As far as I know the transfer hasn't gone through yet. The CCCC are looking for clarification from the CAC as it seems that the only reason the CAC upheld Johnston's appeal was because neither the Cavan board nor Cavan Gaels objected. That's ridiculous if it's true.

no he has not

the appeals committee found in his favour (regarding the 10 day rule) and forwarded that to the CCC to be ratified.

The CCC though is still sitting on their options.
    And it still remains that the CCC does not regard him as living in Kildare nor the transfer in itself coherent with the GAA ethos.

So the question is - how do you square the 2 contrasting positions.
    A) one rule says that a player should be granted a transfer automatically after 10 days if nobody objects (period - regardless of the merits of your case or not - you could transfer from Donegal to Dublin and live in Derry if nobody objects)
    B) another rule says that you must have permanent residence or family links to effect a transfer

The only way I can see them square the circle is to formally grant the transfer and then the same day rule the transfer out of order and revoke it.

EDIT:
    heres ALL transfers which have been granted in the past months and indeed years.
    http://gaa.ie/clubzone/transfers-and-sanctions/transfers-archive/
    No Seanie Johnson or Sean Mc Seain as he is in irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Seanie Johnston is on the brink of sealing his transfer from Cavan Gaels to Kildare club St. Kevin's after the Central Appeals Committee (CAC) advised the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to rubberstamp the move.

KFM Radio reports that the CAC have informed the CCCC they can give the switch the go-ahead after the CCCC had sought clarification from them following their decision to uphold the player's appeal against their refusal to allow the transfer to take place.

The CCCC had turned down the transfer request on the grounds of residency and ethos before the CAC last week gave the green light to the transfer because there had been no formal objection by either Cavan Gaels or the Cavan county board within 10 days of the application.

If the CCCC follow the CAC's instruction at their next meeting on Tuesday, Johnston could yet play for Kildare in this year's championship. Under new GAA rules, however, Johnston cannot line out for the Lilywhites until he has represented his new club St. Kevin's in the local championship. This makes him ineligible to play for the Lilywhites in their Leinster SFC quarter-final against Offaly on June 17 as St. Kevin's won't be in championship action again before then.

He just needs a championship match now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Championship match could be tricky. Kevins were drawn against sarsfields the other day but that prob wont be played until after the inter county campaign. They have a league match in about two weeks but that isnt good enough as far as I know

He could tog out for the hurling club, Coill Dubh, but they dont have a Championship match until the end of June, which is the same weekend Kildare play their second match (providing they beat Offaly). So its possible that he could make his debut in that match, which will be more than likely against Meath

• Advertisement

Seanie Johnston is on the brink of sealing his transfer from Cavan Gaels to Kildare club St. Kevin's after the Central Appeals Committee (CAC) advised the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to rubberstamp the move.

KFM Radio reports that the CAC have informed the CCCC they can give the switch the go-ahead after the CCCC had sought clarification from them following their decision to uphold the player's appeal against their refusal to allow the transfer to take place.

The CCCC had turned down the transfer request on the grounds of residency and ethos before the CAC last week gave the green light to the transfer because there had been no formal objection by either Cavan Gaels or the Cavan county board within 10 days of the application.

If the CCCC follow the CAC's instruction at their next meeting on Tuesday, Johnston could yet play for Kildare in this year's championship. Under new GAA rules, however, Johnston cannot line out for the Lilywhites until he has represented his new club St. Kevin's in the local championship. This makes him ineligible to play for the Lilywhites in their Leinster SFC quarter-final against Offaly on June 17 as St. Kevin's won't be in championship action again before then.

He just needs a championship match now!
    Is that a quote from a news source? If so then where?

The independent has a different take on things, saying the CCCC is adamant that the transfer in principle is not possible, even if the 10 day rule says that he should be given the transfer despite it being against the GAA ethos + he hasnt moved in the first place.

I'd post the article if it'd make any difference, but at this stage posting facts on this thread is useless as it gets lost in flaky opinion about the transfer or ability of managers (or county team form and betting odds), so I will just watch the second half of the hurling instead.

CCCC is meeting today according to one of the national newspapers and should have a decision on the appeal today.

EDIT, if this isnt successful and goes to an appeal it doesnt mean that Seanie cant play in the championship at a later date.
    I'll not bother posting the exact rule wording that would illustrate this, seeing as my previous postings regarding such distractions as concrete facts and the actual rules in effect were so worthless and unimportant in the past on this thread.

actually, theres another interesting article in one of the daily newspapers that finds a link between the case of a decomposing snail in 1928 and Seanie Johnsons case.

Ironic isnt it.
    Dead Snail = relevant to thread.
    Majority of postings so far != relevant

Not that it is possibly relevant to a thread on Seanie Johnsons transfer, heres the article on Seanie Johnsons transfer with aforementioned dead snail.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0605/1224317294985.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Finally, case closed as transfer is complete. Please Mods does this mean the thread can be closed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Finally, case closed as transfer is complete. Please Mods does this mean the thread can be closed now?

Where did you hear that please ?

Where did you hear that please ?
    KFM reported that the transfer was granted supposedly.
    I find it baffling that basically a player can play for whoever they want no matter where they live so long as their club and county don't object. By the looks of it, this rule supercedes the permanent residency rule.

After all this hype, Johnston will be under massive pressure to perform and will probably get a lot of stick from opposition fans for a time. I honestly can't see him becoming a great player for Kildare. He had a terrible year as Cavan captain last year and I can't remember the last time he performed against a big team (the way great players like Forde and Browne did).
    It'll also be interesting to see what happens if/when McGeeney leaves and whether he'll still be 'living' in Kildare in a few years time.

Newstalk also was reporting it as being a done deal.

This morning one of the national papers mentioned that they expected this outcome and outlined their reasoning for it. Very interesting insight into gaa politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

KFM reported that the transfer was granted supposedly.
    I find it baffling that basically a player can play for whoever they want no matter where they live so long as their club and county don't object. By the looks of it, this rule supercedes the permanent residency rule.

After all this hype, Johnston will be under massive pressure to perform and will probably get a lot of stick from opposition fans for a time. I honestly can't see him becoming a great player for Kildare. He had a terrible year as Cavan captain last year and I can't remember the last time he performed against a big team (the way great players like Forde and Browne did).
    It'll also be interesting to see what happens if/when McGeeney leaves and whether he'll still be 'living' in Kildare in a few years time.

It's a sad day for the G.A.A. that this kind of thing has started.
    I believe that Johnston's form last year was down to him and a few others having no faith in the training and system of play that was going on at the time. It likely contributed to the fall out. I still can't fathom why the CCB didn't sit the whole panel and officials down and iron things out in-house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Technically yes the thread can be closed. Will wait for more media outlets to confirm that it is a done deal first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I find it baffling that basically a player can play for whoever they want no matter where they live so long as their club and county don't object.

Well it was obviously within the rules of the game so its the rules that need tightening up. Id love to know how often this happens in cases that are not as high profile as this.

I think there is scope for a rule to say you must be playing in a club for a complete season or something before you are eligible for the county team. Could be a remedy for this type of thing in future, although London and New York would need an exception

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Technically yes the thread can be closed. Will wait for more media outlets to confirm that it is a done deal first
    the indo mentions it now too but I wouldnt go on their word till an official source can be accredited with making an announcement

I'm sure Kildare fans and Cavan fans still want to discuss this tbh, why are u looking for it to be closed? Your from Dublin what would it matter if this is closed or not to you?

I'm sure Kildare fans and Cavan fans still want to discuss this tbh, why are u looking for it to be closed? Your from Dublin what would it matter if this is closed or not to you?
    jaysus, it'd be a start if the actual transfer and related matters were discussed on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Looks like the transfer has been finalised so not much point in keeping this thread open in my view. Very few of the posts have been on topic. Not sure what is left to be said on the subject - its a sad outcome for the GAA, puts massive pressure on the lad to deliver for Kildare now and also puts pressure on Kildare themselves - but if Kildare end up winning sam they won't care that the move might have been against the ethos of the game etc etc.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Looks like the transfer has been finalised so not much point in keeping this thread open in my view. Very few of the posts have been on topic. Not sure what is left to be said on the subject - its a sad outcome for the GAA, puts massive pressure on the lad to deliver for Kildare now and also puts pressure on Kildare themselves - but if Kildare end up winning sam they won't care that the move might have been against the ethos of the game etc etc.

Ethos of the game my arse tbh.. Cavan acted the bollix with the lad then the gaa board treated him like crap too, it's terrible treat the players that make gaa money in inter county matches and the like are treated like ****.. Where's the interest to keep the game alive??

And to add no pressure on seanie or Kildare why would there be?

At first I didn't want this transfer to happen but seeing the small minded country talk gaa ethos crap being talked about here makes me want seanie to be a star..

Was told by a senior panel member that Johnston is training harder than anyone else with fitness etc, so more luck to Johnston.

Can I ask an honest question, GAA ethos in 2012 who gives a bollix?

The way posters are talking with gaa ethos etc we look like a completely out of touch organisation way behind times.

I'm as county proud as any man but **** me I'm getting wound up with the ****e being thrown around this thread..

I do think the gaa are responsible for this mess, as usual shows level of amateur behaviour in croke park, and while it's an amateur organisation they certainly don't seem to be short of a few bob..

Rant over sorry guys

examiner seem 100% certain that it has indeed been approved
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling-debut-not-on-cards-as-kildare-wait-on-johnston-196423.html

would trust their reports far more than radio stations who have consistently jumped the gun and been wrong at nearly every stage in this saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ethos of the game my arse tbh.. Cavan acted the bollix with the lad then the gaa board treated him like crap too, it's terrible treat the players that make gaa money in inter county matches and the like are treated like ****.. Where's the interest to keep the game alive??

Said I wouldn't post on this topic again but the above really annoyed me. How exactly did Cavan "act the bollix" with Johnston? How did the "gaa board", as you refer to them, treat him "like crap"?

I'm presuming its Cavan "gaa board" you are referring to but your post is so poorly put together that I'm struggling to understand parts of it.

The thread should be locked because the amount of mis-informed, incorrect tripe being spouted is getting beyond a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Don't see how you can say that Cavan acted the bollix - he was dropped by the manager and decided to try his luck with Kildare and from what posters have been saying here they agree with the manager's decision (despite the fact that manager has moved on). By all accounts Cavan dresssing room is a happier place now that Seanie has moved on but it could be a cracking move for Kildare and could get the county over the line in terms of winning the all-ireland.

And to add no pressure on seanie or Kildare why would there be?
    Because they are genuine contenders and like it or not this case has got a lot of media attention which puts more pressure on the team and Johnston to deliver. Kildare supporters will have to grow a thick skin too as this will be used as a stick to beat ye with all summer.

At first I didn't want this transfer to happen but seeing the small minded country talk gaa ethos crap being talked about here makes me want seanie to be a star..

Was told by a senior panel member that Johnston is training harder than anyone else with fitness etc, so more luck to Johnston.
    Doesn't surprise me at all to be honest, I've seen the guy train and he's an animal for training - that was never an issue with him.

Can I ask an honest question, GAA ethos in 2012 who gives a bollix?
    I for one do - if we don't have our ethos the game is bollixed - do we now say fúck the rules and any lad who is dropped or is playing for a weaker county can pick and choose his new county. Pride of place/parish etc is what the gaa is built on and if we loose that I'll follow the soccer all year.

The way posters are talking with gaa ethos etc we look like a completely out of touch organisation way behind times.

Disagree but we do need to have a look at the contradictions throughout the organisation but that's another day

I'm as county proud as any man but **** me I'm getting wound up with the ****e being thrown around this thread..

I do think the gaa are responsible for this mess, as usual shows level of amateur behaviour in croke park, and while it's an amateur organisation they certainly don't seem to be short of a few bob..

Couldn't agree more with you - they have made a dog's mickey out of this from start to finish.

Rant over sorry guys

Don't worry this thread brings out the worst in all of us :D

Dark Knight, I may have asked this before but here goes:
    Let's say Kildare don't win Leinster or the All Ireland this year. Now lets say Johnny Doyle thinks that the only way he'll have a chance to win some silverware before he retires (as he is getting on a bit) is to switch to Dublin. He puts in a transfer request to a club in Dublin despite not moving from wherever he's living now. Would you support him in moving given that you don't seem to care about the ethos of the GAA?

I'm not for a second suggesting that he would do this, this is simply a hypothetical question I'd like Kildare posters supporting this move to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did Kerry begrudge Taidgh Kinnelly when he came back from Oz? No. He played 2 games and really made a difference to the team in their quest.

Doylers won't switch counties, maybe one of the younger lads will. They're all fairly happy with how things are run in the camp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement