Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Banty for Cavan maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Roy Keane was always a team player, as he showed many times with the best example being against Juventus in 1999 when despite being ruled out of the final he played a Captains role to ensure his team reached the final. There is no comparison with Johnston who wants to jump ship, turning his back on his club and his county.

And as much as I dont like the Gaels, it is more likely Seanie is the problem, not the rest of the team.

As for giving the guy credit, I did give him credit where it was due, I also critised him where I felt that was due.

I can't talk for Cavan Gaels players, my point is that sometimes winners are awkward and abrasive. A team is made up of all sorts of personalities, its up to the manager to gel them all together for the common cause.
    What I do not understand is, if as has been stated earlier, Seanie was a good trainer and possibly went the extra mile, why was he dropped from the panel.
    Its up to a Manager to sort issues and get around personalities, the easy option for the manager is to get rid of a problem player, but thats the lazy way out. Seanie Johnson is too good a forward to be dropped, unless he was not training properly, which by all accounts was not the case
    From an outside perspective it looks as if it was Val's way or the highway, and imo you cannot have a panel of 30 robots doing exactly what the manager wants, to my mind that does away with natural talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Banty for Cavan maybe?
    might be a good call there.. would imagine banty could restore team morale, i imagine morale is so low after the league campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Hammar wrote: »
    James Kavanagh and Eamon O Callaghan are very good forwards
    Mikey Conway has the potential to be a very good player.
    Tomas O Connor is a decent enough targetman and Alan Smith is a good enough player.
    None of them offer the scoring threat of Johnston.
    Seanie would start on any team in Ireland,including the big three,Kerry,Cork and Dublin.
    He would in his hoop.

His championship scoring statistics don't exactly mark him out as a superstar.

One point from play last year. 0-6 in 2010, 0-5 in 2009. Gooch he is not. He's a reasonably good inter-county standard player who wouldn't be in the top 30 forwards in the country based on his form since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Banty for Cavan maybe?

banty is a hero in cavan already ....he has dragged meath to div 3 and didnt exactly need an extension for the trophy room in monaghan either :P
    but no thanks to him manage us we're bad enough already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin wrote: »
    What were you right about? Cavan are still in Division 3 so you were wrong there.

And, as I've said numerous times, Johnston is not the best player Cavan have produced in years. I'd take Gearoid McKiernan over him any day.
    There has been a lot of bull talked on this thread but this beats all.

I haven't been able to write a decent response to all this as I'm away and on my mobile but will write up my views Sunday.

As for the above being bull, could you expand on your opinion please. I said it because IMO McKiernan has more dedication and commitment in his little finger than Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I can't talk for Cavan Gaels players, my point is that sometimes winners are awkward and abrasive. A team is made up of all sorts of personalities, its up to the manager to gel them all together for the common cause.
    What I do not understand is, if as has been stated earlier, Seanie was a good trainer and possibly went the extra mile, why was he dropped from the panel.
    Its up to a Manager to sort issues and get around personalities, the easy option for the manager is to get rid of a problem player, but thats the lazy way out. Seanie Johnson is too good a forward to be dropped, unless he was not training properly, which by all accounts was not the case
    From an outside perspective it looks as if it was Val's way or the highway, and imo you cannot have a panel of 30 robots doing exactly what the manager wants, to my mind that does away with natural talent.
    I said Johnston was training hard on his own but by all accounts he can be disruptive when training with the rest of the panel, not just with the county but with his own club as well. I am not going to repeat things I have been told but the stories I have heard would constitute "not training properly" imo. Again you seem to be suggesting that the problem is not with Johnston, it is with everybody else, this is not true.

I haven't been able to write a decent response to all this as I'm away and on my mobile but will write up my views Sunday.

As for the above being bull, could you expand on your opinion please. I said it because IMO McKiernan has more dedication and commitment in his little finger than Johnston.
    Johnston has more class and guile in his little finger than McKiernan.

Dedication and commitment will only get you so far, Johnston is ten times the player McKiernan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Dedication and commitment will only get you so far, Johnston is ten times the player McKiernan is.

Leave Mckiernan out of this he is one of a few up and coming players in cavan that there would be high hopes for.

celt262 wrote: »
    Leave Mckiernan out of this he is one of a few up and coming players in cavan that there would be high hopes for.
    I didn't bring him in to it!

• Advertisement

Who would you drop from our panel for Johnston??

Who would you drop from our panel for Johnston??
    Karl Ennis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

A decision is expected tomorrow night from Portlaoise. Hopefully putting an end to this saga once and for all!

so 4 days later and still no word? I thought it was being sorted this week?

Karl Ennis.

Can't disagree there if I'm honest :)

I am fearful for alan smith tbh so much talk of him not performing in years past but he is a fabulous footballer and has shown in Galway game how dangerous he is. He caused Galway lots of trouble in first half.

bruschi wrote: »
    so 4 days later and still no word? I thought it was being sorted this week?
    Cavan CB stood in his way yet again, I've no idea what happens now.

You would think Cavan cb would try let this happen graciously rather than dragging feet over it.. They could do without all this now and spend their time replacing new manager IMO anyways

How many times have you seen Johnston play live? I've watched him now for several years in League and Championship games.

There's no doubting he is a tremendous footballer who can turn any game. I saw him do just that in 2010 against Wicklow in the qualifiers. He came onto the pitch and scored six fantastic points. Three Wicklow men couldn't mark him at one stage.

That said, the important part of this is that he's a tremendous footballer, on his day. If things aren't going his way, he'll stand there, hands on hips and do little else. He won't win dirty ball. Alot of the time he won't even compete for it. I've grown tired of being at games with the missus (who's not from Cavan) listening to her whinge about Johnston's lack of effort when the chips are down.

McKiernan, on the other hand, has class and determination. A friend of mine from Meath (where they've produced a few good footballers over the years) was with me at the Cavan Sligo league game and he couldn't believe the maturity McKiernan showed on the pitch for a 22 year old. He made a one handed catch at one stage which had the crowd on their feet.

I'd suggest you watch Johnston live a bit more before you make such bold assertions, as you obviously haven't been doing so from your views given above.

Yes, Johnston will produce a match winning performance at some stage if he plays for Kildare, I just wonder will McGeeney have the patience to wait for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Cavan CB stood in his way yet again, I've no idea what happens now.

source?

or source to how they stood in the way the last time? As far as I was aware, they just had concerns over the validity of Johnstons claims he was living in Kildare, which they are quite right about.

How many times have you seen Johnston play live? I've watched him now for several years in League and Championship games.

There's no doubting he is a tremendous footballer who can turn any game. I saw him do just that in 2010 against Wicklow in the qualifiers. He came onto the pitch and scored six fantastic points. Three Wicklow men couldn't mark him at one stage.

That said, the important part of this is that he's a tremendous footballer, on his day. If things aren't going his way, he'll stand there, hands on hips and do little else. He won't win dirty ball. Alot of the time he won't even compete for it. I've grown tired of being at games with the missus (who's not from Cavan) listening to her whinge about Johnston's lack of effort when the chips are down.

McKiernan, on the other hand, has class and determination. A friend of mine from Meath (where they've produced a few good footballers over the years) was with me at the Cavan Sligo league game and he couldn't believe the maturity McKiernan showed on the pitch for a 22 year old. He made a one handed catch at one stage which had the crowd on their feet.

I'd suggest you watch Johnston live a bit more before you make such bold assertions, as you obviously haven't been doing so from your views given above.

Yes, Johnston will produce a match winning performance at some stage if he plays for Kildare, I just wonder will McGeeney have the patience to wait for it.
    I watched him against Kildare in Newbridge in a qualifier a couple of years ago, only for a late Mick Foley goal, Johnston nearly beat us on his own that day. He was kicking points from every angle of St. Conleth's Park that day.

He is the best that Cavan have and they don't want him. More fool them!

bruschi wrote: »
    source?

or source to how they stood in the way the last time? As far as I was aware, they just had concerns over the validity of Johnstons claims he was living in Kildare, which they are quite right about.
    Todays Irish Daily Star.

Can't disagree there if I'm honest :)

I am fearful for alan smith tbh so much talk of him not performing in years past but he is a fabulous footballer and has shown in Galway game how dangerous he is. He caused Galway lots of trouble in first half.
    Smith is very hit and miss. On his day he is unstoppable but them days are few and far between IMO. He needs to be more consistent.

• Advertisement

Smith is very hit and miss. On his day he is unstoppable but them days are few and far between IMO. He needs to be more consistent.

I seen him kick 11 points in open play vs leixlip a few years ago. Hit and miss maybe but a lethal finisher.

Karl is a sound lad met him before but yes if I'm honest is definitely expendable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

According to the leinster leader we will hear the decision on the 23rd of this month. http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/date-set-for-johnston-appeal-1-3733329
    Johnston has more evidence this time round (toll reciepts) etc. Our local radio station said quote" According to their sources there was no objection by Cavan CB" Honest to god after hearing Johnston on kfm saying he wants to play football with st.kevins and Kildare. Would the wise thing not be to let him off and let him be at this stage.
    On another note. How does the motion passed today effect Johnston? Is it the previous years club championship or current? Or does it effect him at all considering his transfer was put in before todays motion was passed?

The wording of this motion is as follows per the website:-

That the following be adopted as a New Rule in Chapter 6
    O.G.
    Eligibility for Inter-County Teams
    A Player shall have played in Club Championship with
    a Club in a County in the previous or current year to be
    eligible to play in any Inter-County Competition with that
    County, save as provided for in Rules 6.6 and 6.7.

Make of that what you will. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Please let it be over!!!!

I watched him against Kildare in Newbridge in a qualifier a couple of years ago, only for a late Mick Foley goal, Johnston nearly beat us on his own that day. He was kicking points from every angle of St. Conleth's Park that day.

He is the best that Cavan have and they don't want him. More fool them

Change a couple of years ago to 4 years ago. That game was 2008. Cavan scored 1-15 that day. Johnston scored 6 points of that, 3 from play and 3 from frees. I was at that match and you must be easily impressed if you thought he had a virtuoso performance that day. He was decent but Johnny Doyle was easily the best player on the pitch.

And your basing your high opinion of Johnston on the once you have seen him play live? Again, I'd suggest that you are easily impressed.

Also, have you ever seen Gearoid McKiernan play? You are giving opinions on him and Cavan yet it appears you haven't seen them play since 2008.

I've posted my thoughts on Andrews going and Cavan football in general here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78146190#post78146190

Ha ha ha I wasn't wrong about Val though, was I ? Even the Cavan players old and new saw through him, which was my main point !!!!!

Yes, these highly successful Cavan lads that have beaten Wicklow, Antrim an d Fermanagh in the last six years. Sure they should be competing for All-Irelands!

Change a couple of years ago to 4 years ago. That game was 2008. Cavan scored 1-15 that day. Johnston scored 6 points of that, 3 from play and 3 from frees. I was at that match and you must be easily impressed if you thought he had a virtuoso performance that day. He was decent but Johnny Doyle was easily the best player on the pitch.

And your basing your high opinion of Johnston on the once you have seen him play live? Again, I'd suggest that you are easily impressed.

Also, have you ever seen Gearoid McKiernan play? You are giving opinions on him and Cavan yet it appears you haven't seen them play since 2008.
    Johnny Doyle is the best player on the pitch in most matches. ;)

And yes I've seen McKiernan play 3 or 4 times and he is good but not anywhere near as good as Jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes, these highly successful Cavan lads that have beaten Wicklow, Antrim an d Fermanagh in the last six years. Sure they should be competing for All-Irelands!

They should have been able to beat Offaly when leading by 4 points and also a man up at home but my Cavan friends told me that the decisions from the sideline lost that game for them. That's the same Offaly team that lost to Tipperary to keep Cavan up by the way.
    Do you honestly think there was improvement from your last League campaign, honestly now ?

• Advertisement

They should have been able to beat Offaly when leading by 4 points and also a man up at home but my Cavan friends told me that the decisions from the sideline lost that game for them. That's the same Offaly team that lost to Tipperary to keep Cavan up by the way.
    Do you honestly think there was improvement from your last League campaign, honestly now ?

What decisions from the sideline cost Cavan the game?

I was at that game and Cavan were terrible in the second half. Offaly were woeful and Cavan should have beaten them. It was hugely disappointing but it was down to the players more than anyone else IMO.

No, I don't think there was any improvement but I do think that young players got vital playing time and Cavan moved towards a more professional panel.

If Terry Hyland did take over, I'd happily see him drop every player from the era pre this year and concentrate on playing only U21s from last year and this year and the others coming through. It's not because of the different management that Cavan have beaten only 3 poor sides (Antrim, Fermanagh and Wicklow) in six years of Championship.

People can keep their head in the sand if they like but management isn't the problem in Cavan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement