Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Mammamia17 wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

My daughter & I have just moved from Meteor to Tesco Mobile (I've got the LG Optimus & she has the Samsung Y Pro) We're both on the 18 month €25 contract and they have been activated. Before the numbers were ported yesterday we had internet access on the phones but since the transfer we can't get on.....do we need to do something with the phones or should I ring customer care??
    Thanks

Hi there

You probably need our data/MMS settings. See here for an automated tool to send settings to your phone. If your phone isnt covered by the automated tool, manual Android settings are also available on this page

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

regards
    Paul

Tesco is 089 isn't it? How do people find coverage?

Hi there

We have identical coverage to O2.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7 malc77

Paul- Please forgive my dumb question! - I CAN get O2 (and Tesco) coverage for calls and texts on my old Nokia phone (not a Smartphone) with O2 and Tesco SIMs I use -Does that mean I should also get coverage with a dongle -(I don't know if I need 3G or would 2G suffice)??
    Malcolm.
    Hi Malcolm

We operate on O2's radio network so we have identical coverage to them.

If you cant get O2 coverage then you wont have Tesco Mobile coverage. The maps sometimes can be a little in variance with on the ground reality so its always best to test coverage yourself with a SIM (in dongle ideally). You can get a free SIM here.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/free-international-sims.aspx

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mammamia17

Hi there

You probably need our data/MMS settings. See here for an automated tool to send settings to your phone. If your phone isnt covered by the automated tool, manual Android settings are also available on this page

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul.....I reset the phone & it seems to be ok now!!

malc77 wrote: »
    Paul- Please forgive my dumb question! - I CAN get O2 (and Tesco) coverage for calls and texts on my old Nokia phone (not a Smartphone) with O2 and Tesco SIMs I use -Does that mean I should also get coverage with a dongle -(I don't know if I need 3G or would 2G suffice)??
    Malcolm.

Hi there

2G coverage for voice and text (and EDGE data) is different to 3G coverage so having one does not guarantee the other.

EDGE on 2G is usable for getting emails and light browsing but for video and sizable downloads it would be much better to have 3G coverage.

Its difficult for me to say anything about your precise location. Testing yourself before committing to anysizable spend is always the best course of action.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 jfinlan

Hi Felim

Yes you get this text when in the UK but not NI (need to 100% check this). Were you in NI or close to the coast in North West UK.

We do offer All Ireland rates when calling ROI numbers from NI. When you call other numbers from NI its roaming rates.

Alll our roaming information is here on the website.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/using-your-mobile-abroad.aspx

regards
    Paul

Hi Paul

This is all very confusing. I want to sign up for the Tesco unlimited calls offer which expires at the end of this month. But I work a bit in Northern Ireland and I have a deal with O2 where my NI calls are included in my minutes, plus it doesn't cost me to receive calls.

When I talk to Tesco Mobile, I get told different things. Some say NI isn't considered as roaming. Others say it is. You say that it isn't considered as roaming but the link you provide doesn't mention anything about this. I just talked to someone in Tesco Mobile today and the roaming rates they gave me were higher than on the website (they said 13c to receive, 42c to make calls back to the Republic) so now I'm totally confused.

The bottom line is - if I can make calls to the South of Ireland and receive calls for free whilst up North (in other words, if it's not treated as roaming), then I'm in. Some people at Tesco tell me I can, others say I can't. It would be nice if someone told me in writing what the exact situation is.

Since my only option when I'm up North would be to log onto the O2_UK network (as Tesco doesn't show up as a network when roaming - I have a Tesco UK card and when I'm back down south, I have to connect to O2_IRL), I suspect that I will incur roaming charges when up North.

Can you please clarify this for me once and for all?

jfinlan wrote: »
    Hi Paul

This is all very confusing. I want to sign up for the Tesco unlimited calls offer which expires at the end of this month. But I work a bit in Northern Ireland and I have a deal with O2 where my NI calls are included in my minutes, plus it doesn't cost me to receive calls.

When I talk to Tesco Mobile, I get told different things. Some say NI isn't considered as roaming. Others say it is. You say that it isn't considered as roaming but the link you provide doesn't mention anything about this. I just talked to someone in Tesco Mobile today and the roaming rates they gave me were higher than on the website (they said 13c to receive, 42c to make calls back to the Republic) so now I'm totally confused.

The bottom line is - if I can make calls to the South of Ireland and receive calls for free whilst up North (in other words, if it's not treated as roaming), then I'm in. Some people at Tesco tell me I can, others say I can't. It would be nice if someone told me in writing what the exact situation is.

Since my only option when I'm up North would be to log onto the O2_UK network (as Tesco doesn't show up as a network when roaming - I have a Tesco UK card and when I'm back down south, I have to connect to O2_IRL), I suspect that I will incur roaming charges when up North.

Can you please clarify this for me once and for all?

Hi Jfinlan

I cant speak for TM UK but when using a TMI sim in the north calls to normal ROI fixed and mobiles are treated same as if made in ROI.

International and non geographic numbers are treated as roaming and received calls are treated as roaming.

For any other queries please visit our Talk To forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1542

or send a PM to our Care reps here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/priva...newpm&u=554494

They will be able to help you

regards
    Paul

Hi Jfinlan

I cant speak for TM UK but when using a TMI sim in the north calls to normal ROI fixed and mobiles are treated same as if made in ROI.

International and non geographic numbers are treated as roaming and received calls are treated as roaming.

For any other queries please visit our Talk To forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1542

or send a PM to our Care reps here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/priva...newpm&u=554494

They will be able to help you

regards
    Paul

So, when I go up North, which network do I choose or do Tesco Mobile IRL have a deal with O2 UK, whereby O2 UK in NI is considered part of the TM IRL network?

James

So, when I go up North, which network do I choose or do Tesco Mobile IRL have a deal with O2 UK, whereby O2 UK in NI is considered part of the TM IRL network?

James

Hi James

Yes, we only roam on O2 UK in UK and NI and we have a special arrangement with them that allows us to do all ireland rating for normal ROI mobile and fixed calls. It is not part of the TM IRL network though and other calls outside of normal ROI mobile and fixed numbers will be treated as roaming as mentioned above.

To note also we have launched data roaming in the UK and NI this am with a flat rate of 30c per MB (billed in KB). Our website will reflect this later.

regards
    Paul

Hi James

Yes, we only roam on O2 UK in UK and NI and we have a special arrangement with them that allows us to do all ireland rating for normal ROI mobile and fixed calls. It is not part of the TM IRL network though and other calls outside of normal ROI mobile and fixed numbers will be treated as roaming as mentioned above.

To note also we have launched data roaming in the UK and NI this am with a flat rate of 30c per MB (billed in KB). Our website will reflect this later.

regards
    Paul

Sounds great! So, if I sign up for the new TMI unlimited deal and use my phone up North just for making calls back south, I'll still only have to pay EUR 35 per month? If this is definitely the case, then I'm signing up. Can I take your word here as being the definitive word because some of the customer service people at TMI say this isn't the case?

• Advertisement

Sounds great! So, if I sign up for the new TMI unlimited deal and use my phone up North just for making calls back south, I'll still only have to pay EUR 35 per month? If this is definitely the case, then I'm signing up. Can I take your word here as being the definitive word because some of the customer service people at TMI say this isn't the case?

Yes , that is the case. You need to make sure you call ROI numbers using +353xxxx to make sure they come from your inclusive units when in the North. Dont use any other NI shortcodes to call ROI numbers as these will be seen as international roaming calls.

Also if you use the +35348xxxx code that allows you to call NI numbers as ROI national numbers then these will come from your units also. If you use +44 to call NI numbers these will be international roaming calls.

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

Great! Final question: if I send texts from NI to an Irish mobile, would this be included in my unlimited package too?

Great! Final question: if I send texts from NI to an Irish mobile, would this be included in my unlimited package too?

Yes, when using +3538xxx as the destination number

regards
    Paul

Thanks! I'm signing up!

Er, well, when I said I was signing up, I meant I would attempt to sign up. I tried before when this offer was first announced.

First time, I used my business bank account and put first payment through my business laser account. Your finance department helpfully responded to say 'we cannot process your order at the moment'. There was money in the account and I have a good credit rating. They told me to phone customer care if I had any queries but of course customer care know nothing about how the finance department operate.

I then applied using my credit card for both the first payment and the direct debit. I got through the first stage and they then asked me for scans of my last 3 credit card bills. I had 5 working days to get them sent. I was away from home at the time but planned sending them within the 5 working days (one of the days was a bank holiday). They then got back in less than 5 working days to say 'too late'.

The offer was since extended and I've now tried 3 times with my credit card (on which I only owe 30 euros) and have got rejected without any explanation. I'm going to try again now using PayPal in case that works. I know from talking to your customer care people that lots of people are having this problem and no one can tell them why. Whoever it is working in your finance department is losing a lot of business for Tesco Mobile.

Is there anything you can do or do you also not know how this mysterious finance department works?

UPDATE: I tried to apply again and now it tells me it can't process the order at all. Now I can't even get as far as getting a helpful rejection letter from your finance department. I tried using Internet Explorer, in case Chrome was causing glitches in the data entry but same result. Can you help me at all?

Er, well, when I said I was signing up, I meant I would attempt to sign up. I tried before when this offer was first announced.

First time, I used my business bank account and put first payment through my business laser account. Your finance department helpfully responded to say 'we cannot process your order at the moment'. There was money in the account and I have a good credit rating. They told me to phone customer care if I had any queries but of course customer care know nothing about how the finance department operate.

I then applied using my credit card for both the first payment and the direct debit. I got through the first stage and they then asked me for scans of my last 3 credit card bills. I had 5 working days to get them sent. I was away from home at the time but planned sending them within the 5 working days (one of the days was a bank holiday). They then got back in less than 5 working days to say 'too late'.

The offer was since extended and I've now tried 3 times with my credit card (on which I only owe 30 euros) and have got rejected without any explanation. I'm going to try again now using PayPal in case that works. I know from talking to your customer care people that lots of people are having this problem and no one can tell them why. Whoever it is working in your finance department is losing a lot of business for Tesco Mobile.

Is there anything you can do or do you also not know how this mysterious finance department works?

UPDATE: I tried to apply again and now it tells me it can't process the order at all. Now I can't even get as far as getting a helpful rejection letter from your finance department. I tried using Internet Explorer, in case Chrome was causing glitches in the data entry but same result. Can you help me at all?

Hi Jfinlan

Please contact our care team here with your details. They will follow up for you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=554494

regards
    Paul

Hi Jfinlan

Please contact our care team here with your details. They will follow up for you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=554494

regards
    Paul

Thanks for getting back Paul. Yes, when the finance department bounce back my order, they also tell me to contact the care team but when I talk to your care team, they can't tell me what the problem is. They tell me the finance department won't answer their questions either. I only went here with it as a last resort. I've tried another application using Internet Explorer and PayPal for the first payment. I have to just guess what the problem is as no-one will tell me. It's the only time I've ever had any problem buying online or setting up a direct debit. It's very frustrating and your customer care team tell me there are other people with the same problem. There's no point in me contacting them again as they'll tell me they know nothing and they can't help me. And, needless to say, there's no point in me contacting the finance department as they don't talk to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

Tesco mobile...?

VINCWM wrote: »
    Tesco mobile...?

VINCWM>> I'm not sure if that question is addressed at me and indeed I'm not even sure what the question is, though I think the answer is 'yes'.

PAUL>> I emailed that link with my new reference number but I presume I'll get the same answer I get from all your care team 'we can't help you and finance won't talk to us'.

I'm not the only one with this problem from what I am told. I've put thousands through O2 and would like to switch to Tesco but it seems I'm blocked at every hurdle. Once they accepted my offer but asked for credit card statement scans but didn't give me the 5 working days they promised for me to send them. Now I fear I'm on a blacklist (even though I've done nothing wrong!).

It's all a bit Kafkaesque. If you can sort it out, that would be wonderful...

Thanks for getting back Paul. Yes, when the finance department bounce back my order, they also tell me to contact the care team but when I talk to your care team, they can't tell me what the problem is. They tell me the finance department won't answer their questions either. I only went here with it as a last resort. I've tried another application using Internet Explorer and PayPal for the first payment. I have to just guess what the problem is as no-one will tell me. It's the only time I've ever had any problem buying online or setting up a direct debit. It's very frustrating and your customer care team tell me there are other people with the same problem. There's no point in me contacting them again as they'll tell me they know nothing and they can't help me. And, needless to say, there's no point in me contacting the finance department as they don't talk to anyone.

Hi there

There is a point in following up as I have people lined up to go through this in detail. I can only help at this point if you pass your details through. I cant tell you what the problem is unless we can get your details to review.

Apologies for the inconvenience here.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

VINCWM>> I'm not sure if that question is addressed at me and indeed I'm not even sure what the question is, though I think the answer is 'yes'.

PAUL>> I emailed that link with my new reference number but I presume I'll get the same answer I get from all your care team 'we can't help you and finance won't talk to us'.

I'm not the only one with this problem from what I am told. I've put thousands through O2 and would like to switch to Tesco but it seems I'm blocked at every hurdle. Once they accepted my offer but asked for credit card statement scans but didn't give me the 5 working days they promised for me to send them. Now I fear I'm on a blacklist (even though I've done nothing wrong!).

It's all a bit Kafkaesque. If you can sort it out, that would be wonderful...

Hi jfinlan

I appreciate this is frustrating and expecially seeing as you are trying to give us business.

I can assure you I have people lined up to take a look at this.

I cannot discuss inidividual accounts here but we will get back to by Priviate Message

regards
    Pau

Hi jfinlan

I appreciate this is frustrating and expecially seeing as you are trying to give us business.

I can assure you I have people lined up to take a look at this.

I cannot discuss inidividual accounts here but we will get back to by Priviate Message

regards
    Pau

Hi Paul

I sent you a private message with my new ref no. and my phone number.

JF

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Let the Fourm know how you get on.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Let the Fourm know how you get on.

Still haven't heard anything. The only good news is I haven't been automatically rejected... (yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mordyl1

Solyad wrote: »
    Is the 3g region in Galway City very small?
    I've been on Tesco mobile for about 6 months and its very hard to get hsdpa.
    We're not that far out from town, right by the racecourse in one of the main business parks.

I notice Vodafone users around me in the office usually have full bars hsdpa connection. I'm "lucky" in that I sometimes get 1 bar here but more often it falls back to Edge. Other parts of the building seem to get edge all the time on Tesco mobile

Don't know anyone off hand with an 02 connection since Tesco is on the 02 network

Just wondering if you are aware of any black spots around here

Did you get this resolved with tesco...have same issue in this area. I've never seen anything but Edge connection on phone...

Hi Paul

I messaged you with my reference no. and I also messaged customer support but haven't heard anything. Only good news is I haven't been rejected yet but as it's getting near the end of the month, I'm worried I'm going to miss the deadline...

Sorted! Thanks for sorting it out Paul. They emailed me with a contract...

Sorted! Thanks for sorting it out Paul. They emailed me with a contract...

No problem, apologies for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Grainne2012

Good morning Tesco mobile.
    Well, its the same recurring problem with webtexts again - can't use the service, page is giving me :

"Application error

An unexpected error has occurred. Please contact your system administrator."

Can you please report the problem again, and let me know when it will be back in action? Also noticed that the list of webtexts sent is no longer viewable, and the datestamps are a full day behind, still.

Thanks.

Since posting, the whole web UI is down, with the following message:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Hi all I've just ordered tesco mobile today.
    35 pm for unlimited everything.
    It's only a month contract so I can leave if I like.
    I've been told there is a limit on download speeds. Is it really bad?
    I use forums, and youtube mostly.
    Will it have much effect on it?

Advertisement