Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭GIMP

Hi Paul

Any progress in getting the slow data issue resolved? Speeds again tonight unusable, I have had to wait until I had a wifI connection just to be able to post here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

GIMP wrote: »
    Hi Paul

Any progress in getting the slow data issue resolved? Speeds again tonight unusable, I have had to wait until I had a wifI connection just to be able to post here!

Are you in Dublin GIMP? I was there for the weekend and the speed was terrible! However, back in Wexford its grand again!

Zhane wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin GIMP? I was there for the weekend and the speed was terrible! However, back in Wexford its grand again!

Yes Zhane in Dublin, been really poor now for about a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

I purchased a new PAYG phone yesterday but I have been unable to register it on the Tesco Mobile site today: "There was a problem registering your details, please try again later". The error message is rather generic and unhelpful, so I can't tell if the problem is at my end or Tesco Mobile's.

I'm also having trouble signing up to the main Tesco website too: "Sorry, we couldn't register your details", so is there a general problem with Tesco's servers or is there something wrong with me? :(

Hi Felim

Best to contact customer care here - there is no generic issue presently so it could be soething local to your account but its hard to tell without details. Might best to give them a quick call on 1749

regards
    Paul

GIMP wrote: »
    Hi Paul

Hi GIMP

I am not convinced what you are seeign is caused by our acknowledged issue which is more of a bottleneck. It should not be unusable but rather slower at peak times. I still think there is something else affecting you. Have you ever tried an O2 SIM for your service? Do you get the same issue?

We are working hard to get the bottleneck issue resolved this week.

I will update here later in the week.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

HI Paul
    Ok did comparable test just now, Tesco result ping 2313ms, down 0.15mb, up 0.01mb. O2 result 150ms ping, down 1.30mb, up 0.15mb. Same device same location.

Ok thx GIMP

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Hi Paul,
    For the past week or so I have been having Internet connection die completely on occasion in Dublin Town Centre. Toggling data sync, or mobile internet on/off, have no effect. Only a reboot will fix the issue.
    Happened earlier this afternoon :(
    On a Galaxy Nexus running stock 4.0.4, Tesco PAYG. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Hi Paul, my data connection goes to almost unusable in the evenings. I pm'd you my location there two weeks ago. I cannot get speedtest to load and pages take an age to load. Any estimate on when it will be fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Hi Paul

I tried using data on and off for the past few days and performance is now bordering on unusable. I was in Connolly station tonight and got weak performance and it died as I headed north on the train, even though I was in areas of strong signal coverage (HSPDA)

Location | Download | Upload | Ping
    Connolly Station | 137kbps | 299kbps | 631ms
    Malahide Station | 183kbps | 12kbps | 648ms

Attempts were made at Clontarf Road and Howth Junction stations to run a speed test and it failed due to server unreachable. I gave up after Malahide as the data performance was so poor that I could no longer access the internet at all. The tests were attempted between 20:10 and 20:30 this evening. Browser performance has generally been sluggish, and as other have commented here, the browser appears to hang (in my case a forced stop is needed to get it going again. No issues with this though on my Wifi at home)

Paul, I appreciate that your engineers are doing their very best and all that can be done is being done. However, these issues and previous network outages involving the data centre flooding and other miscellaneous events are giving customers enormous cause for concern, and ultimately undermining confidence in the network. I appreciate that Tescomobiles products are highly competitive and represent terrific value for money. However it doesn't matter how much air time / text messages / data we get for our Euro's if the network lacks the resilience to make these services consistently available.

I've been with O2 since it was Digifone way back in the late 90's and I have experienced for more glitches and gremlins since I moved to Tesco 6 weeks ago than I did in all the time I was O2 / Digi. I have no immediate plans to move from Tesco because I want to see how things pan out in the short term. However, I'm watching events closely as are a lot of my friends who want to port to Tesco, but are waiting to see if the gremlins finally get ironed out. And hopefully they will be....

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know guys. I apologise for the current issue we are having. I am told it will be resolved over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Is the 3g region in Galway City very small?
    I've been on Tesco mobile for about 6 months and its very hard to get hsdpa.
    We're not that far out from town, right by the racecourse in one of the main business parks.

I notice Vodafone users around me in the office usually have full bars hsdpa connection. I'm "lucky" in that I sometimes get 1 bar here but more often it falls back to Edge. Other parts of the building seem to get edge all the time on Tesco mobile

Don't know anyone off hand with an 02 connection since Tesco is on the 02 network

Just wondering if you are aware of any black spots around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

My data speeds are about 220kbps down and up the last few days in Dublin city center.

2 Questions too.

1 - Can I turn off data roaming on the iphone with tescomobile.

2 - What is the data speed limit with tescomobile at the moment?

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    My data speeds are about 220kbps down and up the last few days in Dublin city center.

2 Questions too.

1 - Can I turn off data roaming on the iphone with tescomobile.

2 - What is the data speed limit with tescomobile at the moment?

Hi there

1. We don't have data roaming yet but when we do yes there is an option to turn off data when roaming. This will need to be switched on when you return to Ireland. Some phones recognise international roaming as different to national roaming like most Samsung androids but the iPhone doesn't do this yet.

2. Official capped speeds are 2mbps down and up. We have a current bottleneck issue that we hope to alleviate through a change on Friday.

Regards
    Paul

Solyad wrote: »
    Is the 3g region in Galway City very small?
    I've been on Tesco mobile for about 6 months and its very hard to get hsdpa.
    We're not that far out from town, right by the racecourse in one of the main business parks.

I notice Vodafone users around me in the office usually have full bars hsdpa connection. I'm "lucky" in that I sometimes get 1 bar here but more often it falls back to Edge. Other parts of the building seem to get edge all the time on Tesco mobile

Don't know anyone off hand with an 02 connection since Tesco is on the 02 network

Just wondering if you are aware of any black spots around here

Hi there
    I will look into this
    Regards
    Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Hi Felim

Best to contact customer care here - there is no generic issue presently so it could be soething local to your account but its hard to tell without details. Might best to give them a quick call on 1749

regards
    Paul

I just tried to register a new SIM also and keep getting the same error message as Felim - "There was a problem registering your details, please try again later"

malachy47 wrote: »
    I just tried to register a new SIM also and keep getting the same error message as Felim - "There was a problem registering your details, please try again later"

Hi there

Can you please contact customer care on this either via our website or on 0894200000

Regards
    Paul

Hi there

Can you please contact customer care on this either via our website or on 0894200000

Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I did contact customer care and got a helpful reply, although it only brought me to the next issue. Customer Care says that the registration was in fact successful, despite no confirmation screen or email to that effect. Quite the opposite in fact, if you recall the error message.

They asked me to do a login and if I had forgotten my password to simply to a new password request. The password I thought I used did not work at login, so I did a password request and got a confirmation that a new password would be emailed as well as SMS'd to me. Despite two attempts no SMS or email has been received. And yes I checked spam/junk etc. But that both the SMS and email never arrived and the fact it told me registration failed initially seems to indicate that the registration system is not working as it should.

Am now awaiting Customer Care's reply to this latest issue. It behoves you to rectify this situation as my (and probably others) calls are going via my old carrier when they could have gone via Tesco mobile were it not for these glitches. So you're losing money.

Hi Paul,

I did contact customer care and got a helpful reply, although it only brought me to the next issue. Customer Care says that the registration was in fact successful, despite no confirmation screen or email to that effect. Quite the opposite in fact, if you recall the error message.

They asked me to do a login and if I had forgotten my password to simply to a new password request. The password I thought I used did not work at login, so I did a password request and got a confirmation that a new password would be emailed as well as SMS'd to me. Despite two attempts no SMS or email has been received. And yes I checked spam/junk etc. But that both the SMS and email never arrived and the fact it told me registration failed initially seems to indicate that the registration system is not working as it should.

Am now awaiting Customer Care's reply to this latest issue. It behoves you to rectify this situation as my (and probably others) calls are going via my old carrier when they could have gone via Tesco mobile were it not for these glitches. So you're losing money.

Please ask care to make sure your ported number is the active number for your contact details. This is likely the issue. The password does not get emailed it gets smsd. Apologies ilI would do this myself for you but I am not in the office.

Regards
    Paul

Please ask care to make sure your ported number is the active number for your contact details. This is likely the issue. The password does not get emailed it gets smsd. Apologies ilI would do this myself for you but I am not in the office.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for your help Paul. My number is 089 as per SIM and my original 086 number has not been ported (yet) as I can't get by registration to port it :(

As for the password being SMS'd only, I don't doubt you, just that the "password request sent" screen says it goes via both routes!

P.S. SMS is working fine on my phone. I just sent myself a test message.

• Advertisement

Hi there
    I will look into this
    Regards
    Paul

If it helps I will pm my exact location, still on edge here.
    I'll take a wander outside from the office to see if its ok outdoors
    (Ballybrit Business Park at the moment in one of the big multinationals)

Thanks for your help Paul. My number is 089 as per SIM and my original 086 number has not been ported (yet) as I can't get by registration to port it :(

As for the password being SMS'd only, I don't doubt you, just that the "password request sent" screen says it goes via both routes!

P.S. SMS is working fine on my phone. I just sent myself a test message.
    Can you PM me your 089 number please.

Btw you don't need to register to port. Care can do this over the phone. In fact we don't have an option to port via self care. You can submit your port equest from the normal part of the website not in the registered area

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 39 n3lly

I'm looking forward to seeing if the internet issues will be resolved in the coming days (I know you said Friday Paul).

I've had a few friends ask me what Tesco have been like since I switched over (2 months ago). And I've had nothing but praise for them, customer service has been great, coverage for phone calls and sms has been fantastic, not a single dropped call.
    However I haven't been able to recommend the service to them purely down to the data speeds (even with the great rates). I did another speed test out in Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove area this afternoon and (i could upload the test results screenshot if you want) but i had a ping of 690, down:80kbps and up of 60kbps.

I'm not complaining again as I know you're working on it and appreciate that but the second the data issues are resolved I'll have no reason not to advise people to join tesco.

But for the time being I haven't been able to use the phone (galaxy s2) to it's potential outside of a wifi area.

Here's hoping things pick up :)

n3lly wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing if the internet issues will be resolved in the coming days (I know you said Friday Paul).

I've had a few friends ask me what Tesco have been like since I switched over (2 months ago). And I've had nothing but praise for them, customer service has been great, coverage for phone calls and sms has been fantastic, not a single dropped call.
    However I haven't been able to recommend the service to them purely down to the data speeds (even with the great rates). I did another speed test out in Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove area this afternoon and (i could upload the test results screenshot if you want) but i had a ping of 690, down:80kbps and up of 60kbps.

I'm not complaining again as I know you're working on it and appreciate that but the second the data issues are resolved I'll have no reason not to advise people to join tesco.

But for the time being I haven't been able to use the phone (galaxy s2) to it's potential outside of a wifi area.

Here's hoping things pick up :)

Ok thx for the feedback. Will update more tomorrow after the change goes in

Solyad wrote: »
    If it helps I will pm my exact location, still on edge here.
    I'll take a wander outside from the office to see if its ok outdoors
    (Ballybrit Business Park at the moment in one of the big multinationals)

Thx that's enough. Will be back in a day or so

Thanks... hang on... weird one.
    My Arc S was recently upgraded to ICS and was set to GSM.
    If i set it to WCDMA preferred it always drops to GSM, I guess the signal is weak around here
    If I set it to WCDMA only I get 0 to 1 bar Hi speed (its still pulling data quicker than edge) but not sure what happens now if I lose 3g completely and it cant drop back to GSM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Internet has been dreadfully slow the last 3 days in particular today i cant even send an email on my phone it wont send, i cant sync any photos via dropbox or box, everything else about Tesco Mobile seems to be good but im a bit concerned about the reoccurring Internet trouble they seem to be having, when is this going to be resolved once and for all can you tell me please.

Thanks

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Internet has been dreadfully slow the last 3 days in particular today i cant even send an email on my phone it wont send, i cant sync any photos via dropbox or box, everything else about Tesco Mobile seems to be good but im a bit concerned about the reoccurring Internet trouble they seem to be having, when is this going to be resolved once and for all can you tell me please.

Thanks

Hi Jonny, you will see I have answered this in the last few posts. There is a change going in tomorrow that should help alot
    Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

I purchased a Top-Up for my newly acquired Nokia C1-01 and attempted to apply it to my account using menu option Tesco Mobile > Top up > By Voucher but the voucher number field will only accept nine digits whereas a voucher number is twelve digits. I have applied the voucher by other means now but wonder if I'll be able to use the built-in option next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

I'm roaming in the UK on the O2 network but haven't received a text message from Tesco Mobile informing me of roaming rates, roaming options, contact numbers etc. which I am used to getting with an Irish network SIM card when roaming in the UK or a UK network SIM card when roaming in Ireland.
    • Should I have received this information automatically?
    • Are there options to reduce costs when roaming?
      • Meteor have the same rates when roaming in Europe as at home
      • Vodafone (IE and UK) have Passport
    • Where can I find this information from Tesco Mobile?

Advertisement