Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AXA Raheny 5 miler 29/1/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

3 stars (average)
    Very very enjoyable day out.Managed to do it in 43.26 which im delighted about after my prediction of 45 mins.Felt comfortable enough all the way round and would have no hesitation in doing it or any similar race again even with dodgy knees:).I raised a few bob for a nominated charity so delighted with myself.Goody bag was excellent alright i agree.Well done to all who participated and organisers great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Well organized race and great goodie bag, had a stinker of a race though :(

Does anyone know links to previous results for Raheny 5 since 2005 or 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

Might marking KM's on the course for us metric hounds be too radical?

Then it would have to be called the "Raheny 8K, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    stipes212 wrote: »
    Then it would have to be called the "Raheny 8K, no thanks.

8.05k ;) wouldn't have quite the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

First time doing this race, first time running a 5miler too. shortest run race i have done before was a half marathon so i didn't have a clue what pace to run. finished 37.09 with even enough splits so happy with that. Cracking goodie bag to top it all off, i think the weather work in my favour too :) .

P.s : that woman on the M.C loves the sound of her own voice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Rovers2001 - 45:00
    Tunguska - 26:15(wildly optimistic but what the hell)
    Petermijackson - 30:59 (Provided I get the all clear from Physio tomorrow)
    7mile-29.29.
    pconn062: I'm going to got out on a limb here and say sub 32, but more than likely it will be around 32.30
    Plodder: 33:59 (hoping to knock nearly a minute of last week's XC)
    claralara: 37:29 34:47
    Average_Runner 36:10 (not fully fit yet so expect low 36)
    RayCun - 32.29 (unlikely, but what the hell)
    PWEI - 32:30 (will be very very dissappointed if I don't)
    Nerraw - 29.29 (optimistic)
    ecoli - 27.25 (wait for me at the finish Tunguska if you hit that time so I can shake your hand)
    cwgatling - 28:59
    Name Changed - 38:00
    martyoo - 34:00 (fingers crossed)
    RoverHogan - 29.XX (hopefully)

Absolutely delighted with my race yesterday - approx 7 and a half minutes off my PB from the race series 5 miler in the park 6 months ago. Fantastic organisation again. Already looking forward to next year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

3 stars (average)
    7mile-29.29.
    pconn062: I'm going to got out on a limb here and say sub 32, but more than likely it will be around 32.30
    Average_Runner 36:10 35:42
    ecoli - 27.25 (wait for me at the finish Tunguska if you hit that time so I can shake your hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

4 stars (good)
    claralara wrote: »
    7mile-29.29.
    Average_Runner 36:10 (not fully fit yet so expect low 36)

Absolutely delighted with my race yesterday - approx 7 and a half minutes off my PB from the race series 5 miler in the park 6 months ago. Fantastic organisation again. Already looking forward to next year! :)

God that`s amazing! Well done! What`s your secret??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

4 stars (good)
    First time doing the race yesterday. Really enjoyed it despite the weather. 36:08 for me which is a PB by 1:40. Serious goody bag and great organisation. Will be back next year. Only thing I was unsure of was which corners were meant to be taken on paths and which were people taking short cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    7mile-29.29.
    Average_Runner 36:10 35:42
    RayCun - 32.29 32.24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

4 stars (good)
    Having a problem finding results. Can anyone help? Thanks. Ed.

3 stars (average)
    Results are here

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

4 stars (good)
    Great race, well organised. This is the 2nd time that I've done this race, last year being the first. The atmosphere & encouragement that you get from the spectators is second to none. This was the main reason that brought me back again.

I also set a new PB over 5 mile this time round with 37:05 taking 1:49 off last years time of 38:54 so I'm chuffed with that.

I'll be back again next year to try & go quicker again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ment

4 stars (good)
    Great race - weather did not even get me down - great goodie bag,

however i would love to see some sort of streaming of runners - under 30 minutes, under 35 minutes, under 40 minutes etc as I was at the back (first time to run this race) and probably lost a minute or two just trying to get by other runners :(

ran it in 36.07 which i am very happy with as i've only started to run again recently but if I had been up the nearer the front I think under 35 minutes would have been very possible....its a fast course for sure compared to say the Aware run in the park.

Anyway sounds like I am giving out whichi am not...........delighted really .....I will just be a little bit smarter next year as to where I start ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

I didnt do the race yesterday but did go along to watch.

I noticed on the results page; almost 160 runners below the 30 min mark.....that is some going for a club race.

I personally would consider 30 min to be great going, 5 x 6min miles......

I remember I did the adidas 5 mile a few years back and ran 31,50 and was inside the top 100.

Am wondering, in the terms of strength in depth if this was the highest standard of any 5 mile run in Ireland.....cant be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

34:46sec. Not bad.
    Always brilliantly organised by Shamrocks. I think they might have to cap the numbers soon enough though.
    Great value for money race. Well done all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Runner7777

Ran the race yesterday and have been training hard and aiming for a PB which I got and I am delighted with. Its disappointing that the independent published times are from the gun rather than from the chipped times. I know that people can get caught up in times etc but its getting to the stage were one in every 4/5 races in the dublin area has some sort of time or distance discrepency. I know that these races take a lot of planning and hard work but surely getting the distance and timing right is essential. The race yesterday was €20 which is on the higher scale of race prices so I would expect the chipped timing to be bang on. In the last 12 months I have seen some fairly bad mistakes at races... the clonliffe 5K just before christmas was 80-100M short and the BHAA irishtown 5Km last year was 400M short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Runner7777 wrote: »
    Ran the race yesterday and have been training hard and aiming for a PB which I got and I am delighted with. Its disappointing that the independent published times are from the gun rather than from the chipped times.

Its standard for the results of a race to be from the gun.

3 stars (average)
    Runner7777 wrote: »
    Ran the race yesterday and have been training hard and aiming for a PB which I got and I am delighted with. Its disappointing that the independent published times are from the gun rather than from the chipped times. I know that people can get caught up in times etc but its getting to the stage were one in every 4/5 races in the dublin area has some sort of time or distance discrepency.

This is not a discrepancy. The official times are gun times. Chip time is useful information for you as a runner, but your time is the time when you cross the finish line, your position in the race is the position you crossed the finish line in.

That has to be the way it's run. The race organisers need to know immediately who won each prize, they can't be hanging around for a chip that mightn't even work. And the runners competing for those prizes have to know that if they finish in front of someone, they've beaten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Don't think it would have hurt anyone to publish the gun time first followed by the chip time.
    The race series and Dublin marathon used this format in the Independent previously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

Don't think it would have hurt anyone to publish the gun time first followed by the chip time.
    The race series and Dublin marathon used this format in the Independent previously.

My own view would be that there's only 5 or 6 people trying to win this race, and maybe 10 or 12 trying to get a place; out of 2500 participants.

Ergo, 99.5% of people running are competing against themselves and trying to get a PB.

Personally, it would bother me much if I came 150th or 165th.....at that point its the time that matters; and everyone can see what your chip time is on the results page.

Thats just my own view of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Runner7777

I know but last years times were from the chip. At least keep it consistent.

3 stars (average)
    Tombo2000 wrote: »
    My own view would be that there's only 5 or 6 people trying to win this race, and maybe 10 or 12 trying to get a place; out of 2500 participants.

I'm pretty sure there were prizes in a number of categories - first men and women, M40, W40 etc, and possibly team prizes?
    There's no harm in publishing both times, if available, but gun time is the official time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there were prizes in a number of categories - first men and women, M40, W40 etc, and possibly team prizes?
    There's no harm in publishing both times, if available, but gun time is the official time.

first ive heard about the gun time being the official?my chip time is 28.20, paper this morning 28.27, i now which one im taking!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I really enjoyed the race yesterday. The turnout was wonderful despite the very gloomy conditions. Fair play to all the volunteers who gave their time to help out, especially all the marshalls who had to brave the rain for a couple of hours. My highlights included seeing the numerous supporters cheering enthusiastically along the route; running past the junction with Brookwood Avenue, where I live; watching the geese fly overhead on Mount Prospect Avenue; running by the sea for a km or so; the excellent goody bag; and the very warm and tasty cup of coffee afterwards in the GAA hall!

Well done the Shamrocks!

3 stars (average)
    This was quoted last time the chip/gun time distinction came up.
    For interest, the relevant rule on chip timing is IAAF Rule 165.24 from the current IAAF Competition Rules.

24. The use of Transponder Timing Systems approved by IAAF in events
    held under Rules 230 (races not held completely in the stadium), 240
    and 250 is permitted provided that:
    (a) None of the equipment used at the start, along the course or at the
    finish line constitutes a significant obstacle or barrier to the
    progress of an athlete.
    (b) The weight of the transponder and its housing carried on the
    athletes’ uniform, bib or shoe is not significant.
    (c) The System is started by the Starter’s gun or synchronised with
    the start signal.
    (d) The System requires no action by an athlete during the
    competition, at the finish or at any stage in the result processing.
    (e) The resolution is 1/10th of a second (i.e. it can separate athletes
    finishing 1/10th of a second apart). For all races, the time shall
    be read to 1/10th of a second and recorded to the whole second.
    All read times not ending in zero shall be converted and recorded
    to the next longer whole second, e.g. for the Marathon, 2:09:44.3
    shall be recorded as 2:09:45.
    Note: The official time shall be the time elapsed between the
    firing of the starting gun and the athlete reaching the finish line.
    However, the time elapsed between an athlete crossing the start
    line and the finish line can be made known to him, but will not
    be considered an official time.
    (f) Whilst the determination of the finishing order and times may
    be considered official, Rules 164.2 and 165.2 may be applied
    where necessary.
    Note: It is recommended that judges and/or video recording(s)
    also be provided to assist in determining the finishing order.

I record chip time in my records, because that's how long it took me to run the race. But that's not the official time.
    Put it like this - the most important thing for the race organisers to know is not how long it took me to run the race. It's what position I finished in. They really have to know the order in which people crossed the finish line. Second most important thing is knowing the time when people crossed the finish line (and they know when the gun went off). Knowing what time people crossed the start line is a distant third, but that's the basis of chip time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    This was quoted last time the chip/gun time distinction came up.

I record chip time in my records, because that's how long it took me to run the race. But that's not the official time.
    Put it like this - the most important thing for the race organisers to know is not how long it took me to run the race. It's what position I finished in. They really have to know the order in which people crossed the finish line. Second most important thing is knowing the time when people crossed the finish line (and they know when the gun went off). Knowing what time people crossed the start line is a distant third, but that's the basis of chip time.

Thats cleared that up :) What a class race yesterday, 5/5 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

4 stars (good)
    It would be great if it was possible to get a Chip time position as well as your crossing the line position. I crossed the start line 1minute 23 Seconds after the start time. I rank 1019 with my clock time of 40.55. I would love to know where my chip time of 39.32 ranks....would i be in the top 1000... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Dermo09 wrote: »
    It would be great if it was possible to get a Chip time position as well as your crossing the line position. I crossed the start line 1minute 23 Seconds after the start time. I rank 1019 with my clock time of 40.55. I would love to know where my chip time of 39.32 ranks....would i be in the top 1000... :)

Dermot, check this out http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?login=&password=&is_domenica=-1&nextRaceId=&dpbib=&dpcat=&dpsex=&id=4539&pageType=1&servizio=000&locale=1040#

Type in dermot on this line Cognome o Pettorale o Società

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

4 stars (good)
    Thanks JosDel, but I think that only gives the positions of where i finished when I came over the line, (total, Male/Female, Category)... I dont think it has my my chip time position unfortunately...

Advertisement