Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AXA Raheny 5 miler 29/1/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Do you know what the idea behind this is? I've never run this before but would all the runners not hit a big wall of walkers a mile or two into the race?

Nah, they are well spread out and are told to walk on the footpaths. I have done this race the past two years and it has never been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Nah, they are well spread out and are told to walk on the footpaths. I have done this race the past two years and it has never been an issue.

Ah grand was just wondering, walkers are not known for always doing what they're told!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I presume it keeps the road closed for a shorter time too.

Re training for this. I was half hoping to hold my 5km pace into this race. I'm doing 5 * 1km reps. Should I extend this to 6 * 1? Or break it down into 1 mile reps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Going to give this a go...

First race in 6 months, and only 3rd time running since the half in Clontarf last year, and two busted Achilles tendons, 30 missed races and 100 missed training sessions....

Also first post in ART in the same time frame...

A lot riding on 29th January...

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »

Re training for this. I was half hoping to hold my 5km pace into this race. I'm doing 5 * 1km reps. Should I extend this to 6 * 1? Or break it down into 1 mile reps?

Hmmm, well I would have thought if you could hold your 5k pace for 5 miles then your 5k pace is probably too soft? Your five mile pace should be closer to your 10k pace, maybe try putting a recent race result (5 or 10K) into Mcmillan and see what you get for a suggested 5 mile time? Mile reps at your 5 mile pace would be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

brilliant, will reg for this tomorrow, need to step up the marathon training...... ;-)

as a novice and first race in a very long time what time should i be aiming for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

pconn062 wrote: »

Hmmm, well I would have thought if you could hold your 5k pace for 5 miles then your 5k pace is probably too soft? Your five mile pace should be closer to your 10k pace, maybe try putting a recent race result (5 or 10K) into Mcmillan and see what you get for a suggested 5 mile time? Mile reps at your 5 mile pace would be useful.

Not sure if it's soft. I was wrecked after it. But I was coming off low mileage but was a fast course etc.

More aspirational target for Raheeny. The McMillan target looks a bit soft. That said, I've never ran a 5 mile race. Just seeing is there any key speed workouts I could do in weeks before the race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Not sure if it's soft. I was wrecked after it. But I was coming off low mileage but was a fast course etc.

More aspirational target for Raheeny. The McMillan target looks a bit soft. That said, I've never ran a 5 mile race. Just seeing is there any key speed workouts I could do in weeks before the race?

My take

Initially Try a session faster than race pace e.g 10-12 by 400 at 5k pace with 1 min rest. or 5 by 1k at 5k pace with 2 min rest. (for speed) Do first one if no sessions done yet.

Same week do say 7 miles continous 5% slower than race pace (for strenght). Dont go out to fast. Go out slighly slow and finish close to race pace.

As the race nears do sessions at race pace. e.g 8 by 1k at RP, 5 by 1 mile at RP. 3 mile continous at RP.

Keep your long runs and do easy runs apart from that.

4 stars (good)

Oh no I don't mean your 5k race pace is soft, I meant that if you think you could hold your 5k race pace for 5 miles then you could probably achieve a quicker 5k race pace. But T-runner is much better at this than me so you should probably listen to him! :) Might rob a few of those sessions as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All,
    Started back training for this event last night. Slow jog for 2.5miles. 26mins (slow is the word...lol)

What type of training can you guys recommend in order to hit a 5mile 40mins pace?

Cheers
    Darren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    Hi Darren with only 2.5 weeks left to the race, there's not alot you can do. Two things I'd suggest is just run as often as you can in a controlled/easymanner and maybe twice a week at the end of your run do a few strides 3/4 x 20 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bundo1965

HI

I have registered for the Raheny 5 mile on the 29th January, but I am unable to register my two children for the children's races. Would anyone know whether this can be done on the day?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am in for this myself. First 5mile race ever so finishing will be a pb :P Would love a sub 29 but not sure of it after missing a few days this week out sick (back tonight). McMillan says 29 dead based on my 5k race a few weeks back but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

3 stars (average)
    I did this race years ago maybe 15 years:) anyway decided to do it again this year.Im doing 7km jogs at 38 mins respectfully is this an acceptable run to a decent finish time maybe 45 mins?Obviously the course is a bit longer than this but im inexperienced as to what training to do so have measured a course that im comfortable with and doing this three times a week alon with other physical training i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    rovers2001 wrote: »
    I did this race years ago maybe 15 years:) anyway decided to do it again this year.Im doing 7km jogs at 38 mins respectfully is this an acceptable run to a decent finish time maybe 45 mins?Obviously the course is a bit longer than this but im inexperienced as to what training to do so have measured a course that im comfortable with and doing this three times a week alon with other physical training i do.

All finish times are acceptable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

4 stars (good)
    This was my first proper race last year and it was a really enjoyable one. Great organisation and a brilliant atmosphere. Did just under 38mins last year but could struggle to get under 40mins this time out as last week was my first week running since November. No matter, I`m just glad to be back on my feet and am looking forward to the race. Good luck to all taking part. Ed.

3 stars (average)
    Bundo1965 wrote: »
    I have registered for the Raheny 5 mile on the 29th January, but I am unable to register my two children for the children's races. Would anyone know whether this can be done on the day?

I had a look at the AAI report from last year
    There are two kids’ races before the main event – an 800m event for 8-12 year olds and a mile race for 13-16 year olds. Former European junior 1500m champion, Colin Costello was the inaugural winner of this race.
    The first three boys and girls past the post in each race will receive prizes while all finishers will be presented with a medal. Entry is just €5. These races begin at 2.15 and 2.30 respectively.

I presume its the same this year, with entries taken before the race.

3 stars (average)
    As far as i know no entries accepted on race day although i could be wrong.Does anyone know where you go to collect race number and where start point is please?

3 stars (average)
    rovers2001 wrote: »
    As far as i know no entries accepted on race day although i could be wrong.Does anyone know where you go to collect race number and where start point is please?

No entries on the day, and online registration closes Saturday, according to quotes above.
    Here's a GPS track of the route. The start and finish are on All Saints Park, the number collection is at the school on All Saints Drive, and there are (usually) changing rooms in the GAA club opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    Just registered and looking forward to it, hopefully the wind stays the fcuk away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Bambaata wrote: »
    Am in for this myself. First 5mile race ever so finishing will be a pb :P Would love a sub 29 but not sure of it after missing a few days this week out sick (back tonight). McMillan says 29 dead based on my 5k race a few weeks back but we'll see.

Bet you a tenner you'll go 29 plus. See... can't beat that sort of motivation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

4 stars (good)
    cant wait for this. first race of the year and first time running the Raheny 5m, have heard nothing but good things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm in. First race since DCM (disastrous string of races before that!).

5 mile PB is a soft 42:25 - I have demons to lay to rest! :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4 stars (good)
    I'm in too - we'll see how this one goes! Will be annoyed if I don't break 40 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bencon

Does anyone know what the situation is with parking for this race, i'll be coming from City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 expato

Loads of options. Park at back of Supervalu in raheny (down slope). short hop to pick up number. Park in the church. Park in the Library (need to be early). Park along the road up from Black banks. First two options are best. Raheny is good for parking and the Shamrock folk do things well you will be ok. (I am not a member) Have a dry run tomorrow night and do the Winter League you wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I think its call a time, eh time.......

Tunguska - 26:15(wildly optimistic but what the hell)

3 stars (average)
    tunguska wrote: »
    I think its call a time, eh time.......

45 mins I be delighted esp with my knees:-)can't do it without them:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Rovers2001 - 45:00
    Petermijackson - 30:59 (Provided I get the all clear from Physio tomorrow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭7mile

4 stars (good)
    Rovers2001 - 45:00
    Petermijackson - 30:59 (Provided I get the all clear from Physio tomorrow)
    7mile-29.29.

Advertisement