Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AXA Raheny 5 miler 29/1/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    antomagoo wrote: »
    Very good race, excellent goodie bag, hit 3 stars instead of 4 by accident, oops. If a mod could fix that please, that would be great :o

Fixed, added 1 to 4 star and deleted the 3 star. Your name doesn't show up, but don't vote again.
    martyoo wrote: »
    How did ya get on Ray?

32.25 on the watch (and 5.02 miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    Plenty of junk food in the goodie bag alright. The strawberry protein drink was nice. A well organised race, bit turnout of 2,500, apparently they may have to cap number in future years. Despite the rain conditions were good, not to cold and no wind. Tea and biscuits were a welcome treat afterwards.

Target was sub 30, which I just about got with 29:58, was 30:02 last year. Would have expected more of an improvement but sub 30 was the goal. The hill at mile 4 was tough, as usual. Slightly annoying with people starting further up the field that they should have, but what can the organisers the do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

4 stars (good)
    I 'gave up' on mass participation events after the 2010 Great Ireland 10K in Phoenix Park, and was attracted to this one cos of the time of year and an assumption there'd just be a couple of hundred. When I saw the list on Friday, I was gob-smacked.

I started well back (behind the woman pushing the 3 wheel buggy ;)) and was overtaking people all the way. By the 3 mile mark on Mount Prospect Avenue, that was no longer an issue.

Surprised to read the 30m runner complaining about the hill on Watermill Road. I would have thought that wouldn't be noticed by youse greyhounds :p.

Finished over a minute inside my target, so very pleased with that. I took great pleasure being part of this event, running over familiar roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

4 stars (good)
    Loved it. New PB of 32m10 on the garmin and had an epic struggle with a guy I know from my gym going for the same time. Great atmosphere and well-organised. Had more than my fair share of chocolate biscuits! Will do it again next year. Well done Raheny!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

4 stars (good)
    Loved this race. It was the first time i ran it. Not sure what my time was, as i accidently stopped my watch during the 2nd mile. The goodie bag was like nothing ive seen before. I would definately agree with 5 minute pens as even though i ran around 40 minutes, the first couple of miles were awkward with pushing and shoving, and I even saw a poor girl tripped and fall...But loved it, and loved the weather....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I was not impressed with the goodie bag! I'll end up like a beach whale after eating all that!

Fantastic race that was excellently run in my opinion. It was my first time doing it and certainly not the last. My best for 5 mile was the Frank Duffy 5 mile last year which I did in 37:43. With the rain today, I thought I'd be around 39. I did it in 36:23 which is easily my pb. My Garmin clocked that course at 4.97 miles though, I think the first mile was short. I was deliberately running on the outside and wide the whole time to lengthen it. Anyway, I loved it. Great race.

I've uploaded the route anyway.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/145594760

This comes up every year. This course is not short people who cut the corner at the petrol station before mile two. the course is measured along the road so if you cut that you are running short the course itself is spot on and has been for 28 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    Great race, great course, this was my first time doing it. I think congestion could be a problem if the entries gets any bigger but I thought it was a great, fast course. I saw someone in a boards AC singlet and kind of pointed at them like an idiot and said "Boards"! Apologies to however that was, I'm normally more coherent that that!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

4 stars (good)
    Great race, well run, perfect conditions, super goody bag (normally don't care) and smashed PB. Any idea when official results will be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

4 stars (good)
    Did this race today, really enjoyed it - was hoping for 50 mins, and I came in at 47.39 :D was delighted with it. lovely race & what a goody bag :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bazzaroo

4 stars (good)
    Excellent event, v surprised at the numbers however officials played a stormer. After 1 mile congestion was not an issue. Well done Shamrocks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4 stars (good)
    Big PB for me today - Garmin died on the start line so no splits or any of that, but crossed the finish line with 38:30 on the clock. Considering my previous PB was 40:13, I am chuffed :) My 4th time doing this race, always a good one.

Someone has done a disappearing act with my caramel buttons though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

4 stars (good)
    really enjoyed todays race. Very well organised, great goodie bag. Delighted with my time of 36.23.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OldDogHardRoad

4 stars (good)
    Great race, thought the conditions would make it worse than it was, so a bit over dressed. The start was the usual manic, dodging people and parked cars.

Aiming for sub 36, so very happy with my 35.05 watch time.

Will take some time to work my way through the highly calorific goodie bag.

Anyone know if the chip time was start and finish or just finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Dermo09 wrote: »
    Any idea when the official results will be posted ???

Have a look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/6783904907/in/set-72157629086163673/

...and scroll down (they are not on yet, it's a little slow, hopefully tomorrow or so):

Results: appear at the timing company www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?pageType=1&id=4539 and www.rahenyshamrock.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Took a whole 1 second off my time from last year. The target was a same time as last year, so happy enough. Only been back on proper speed sessions for about a month, so happy enough with it. The first three miles were all steady 5min's but then lost a bit of ground and places alone the coast road and into the last mile. Raheny set the standard for club races, great stewarding on the course. 25m59s on my clock.

Might marking KM's on the course for us metric hounds be too radical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

emerald007 wrote: »
    Took a whole 1 second off my time from last year. The target was a same time as last year, so happy enough. Only been back on proper speed sessions for about a month, so happy enough with it. The first three miles were all steady 5min's but then lost a bit of ground and places alone the coast road and into the last mile. Raheny set the standard for club races, great stewarding on the course. 25m59s on my clock.

Might marking KM's on the course for us metric hounds be too radical?

Wow, well done! Yes, Kms are planned to get over in about 10 years or so :), I reckon although still very conservative, it'll probably follow a similar trend as in the UK, little by little the metric system will get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

A0 wrote: »
    Have a look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/6783904907/in/set-72157629086163673/

...and scroll down (they are not on yet, it's a little slow, hopefully tomorrow or so):

Results: appear at the timing company www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?pageType=1&id=4539 and www.rahenyshamrock.ie/

These lads are usually fairly reliable with the photographs being uploaded quickly after races - think the start of the photographs are here . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/sets/72157629086163673/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    I can't see how anyone could give this any less than 5 stars, fantastic race in every way.

For the guy who measured 4.97, my Gamrmin did too but I know the course is exactly 5 miles from all the years I have done it. My problem seems to be that the Garmin lost signal turning onto syblill hill rd just before the 2 mile marker. I noticed that my pace dropped after I turned and it turns out the Garmin shows my pace droppping from 6 min/mile to 10 min/mile for 30 seconds as I simultaneously leap over the rooves of 10 houses to cut the corner :pac: I'm not superman so it shows you how wrong a GPS watch can be.

31.32 for me, nearly 90 seconds off last years time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Brilliantly run event as always, even with all the confusion that went with my entry at number pickup.
    Assigned number on my email - gone
    Assigned number on the sheet - gone
    New number assigned just in time so hope was it would be grand, and it was.

38:22 PB by 1 second :D
    My Garmin didn't start for my splits are off but it's something like
    7:23 / 7:27 / 7:47 / 8:06 / 7:37
    My usual mental slip on mile 4, need to address this somehow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Great race, great course, this was my first time doing it. I think congestion could be a problem if the entries gets any bigger but I thought it was a great, fast course. I saw someone in a boards AC singlet and kind of pointed at them like an idiot and said "Boards"! Apologies to however that was, I'm normally more coherent that that!

That was myself, I think I had a similar incoherent reply :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)
    Well done Raheny for a 5 star race. Great fast course, well organised and marshalled. And a fantastic goody bag at the end, it puts a lot of other races to shame.

I took 2:20 off my PB, finished in 28:32 by my garmin, so very happy with the first race of 2012:D

a sligthly blurry photo of one of the boards ac crew - not sure who :confused: - but you are flying! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/6784506589/in/set-72157629086163673

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    The Hammer wrote: »
    a sligthly blurry photo of one of the boards ac crew - not sure who :confused: - but you are flying! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/6784506589/in/set-72157629086163673

Thanks for that
    I had lost concentration and didn't realise the finish was only around the corner so put the foot down, finished with a bit in the tank.
    Was that you shouting, I got a shout along the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Well done to all runners today, Looks like another well organised race, doggy hip at the moment :( sorry I missed the race..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Woddle wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    I had lost concentration and didn't realise the finish was only around the corner so put the foot down, finished with a bit in the tank.
    Was that you shouting, I got a shout along the finish?

Unfortunately - wasn't me ... just looking through the photographs to see if I could spot myself. This is the only boards ac vest I managed to see .. I managed a 35 min today - happy enough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

3 stars (average)
    Great race, well organised. First time doing this event and for the most part enjoyed it. Was really annoyed by the fool who ran right across in front of me to get up on the path going out onto Watermill Road. Tripped me and messed me up totally. I guess it happens at all races, i was just unlucky this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭7mile

4 stars (good)
    Great race i have to say. Very well run and the goody bag was very generous. Well done to all concerned. l had targeted 29.29 so was delighted with 29.31. Nearly made it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic race in spite of the weather. 5 out 5 from me.
    Superbly organised and the cup of tea after was delicous.
    Best Goody Bag Ever:)

35.47 for me, not a PB but 4th in my age group (there are some advantages to being old:p)
    Well done to all on here who did it, great results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

3 stars (average)
    Woddle, Wally Runs said hello too, like you say not the place for a deep conversation. Delighted with the day. It made missing the drinks do for the DCM 2011 worthwhile!

Advertisement