Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I believe in Kevpants" (S&SS Off Topic thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Thought he was doing MMA now? Or did he cut that short after the back surgery?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Dathai wrote: »
    Thought he was doing MMA now? Or did he cut that short after the back surgery?

I think he got a thousand shades of ****e kicked out of him :pac:!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

dylbert wrote: »

that a bit vague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

that looks terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Just watched some lad bench a band assisted 230kg raw. At 89kg B/W.

IPO March 3 FTW>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

The worst spotter in the world, and a total dick head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSTWcMdkWMA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If that's a high school weight room they'd want to lock the door so you can't access it with supervision unless you know what your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

8 years old with a best snatch of 50kg.

sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Looking forward to seeing footage from this. Great line-up but with no Z I can't see the log press record being broken again.

http://www.arnoldstrongmanclassic.com/competitors.html

Looking forward to seeing footage from this. Great line-up but with no Z I can't see the log press record being broken again.

Bjornsson is gonna have that. Some vids from last week..........

squod wrote: »

Apparently Bjornsson has dropped down to 175kg for the Arnold's. The man is a monster for 24! I really hope Lalas takes it & you have to fancy him after his performance at the worlds. It's between him & Pounstone for the Giant DB for reps anyway. Misha looks like a serious competitor also. I would imagine his poor performance at the WSM was down to trying to make the Russian Olympic lifting team last year.

Richard Looney from Carlow is competing in the novice event. Second year in a row that we've had Irish representation at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Random question lads, are most of ye following already existing programs eg 5x5 or ones ye have made yourselves?

No real reason, just curious!

I think Poundstone thinks he is captain America :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

OM Jayus! :eek:
    http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/02/meet-the-man-who-squats-905-raw/

Not bad for a guy in only his 2nd ever meet!

Ray: I was wanting to hit a thousand, but they didn’t have enough 100lb plates.
    Me: What?? Would you have called it, if they had it?
    Ray: Oh yeah! I would have tried it. That’s my goal at Nationals. I want to do 1000 pounds.

Ray: Oh yeah! I would have tried it. That’s my goal at Nationals. I want to do 1000 pounds.

Holy **** that's class!

Yeah I liked his reason for doing 5 sets of 5 with the same weight.....he cant fit any more on the bar!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Nice squat there. Esp given how rushed it is.

...and now to be my traditional c*nt self.

He doesn't pull 2x bodyweight or bench 1.5x. Long way to go before he's one of the "greats". And claiming he'd try 1,000 is like me claiming I'd give 300 a go if I had the plates. Doesn't matter until you do it and that squat didn't look 90% easy!!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Nice squat there. Esp given how rushed it is.

...and now to be my traditional c*nt self.

He doesn't pull 2x bodyweight or bench 1.5x. Long way to go before he's one of the "greats". And claiming he'd try 1,000 is like me claiming I'd give 300 a go if I had the plates. Doesn't matter until you do it and that squat didn't look 90% easy!!

Very true but not bad for a beginner!

Very true but not bad for a beginner!

He's lifting since he was 15/16 years old and played top level college football and NFL trials, even tho it's only his second PL meet, I wouldn't call him a "beginner" tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

He's lifting since he was 15/16 years old and played top level college football and NFL trials, even tho it's only his second PL meet, I wouldn't call him a "beginner" tbh.

This.

Quite clever if you were trying to make a name for yourself. Train til youre hitting relatively big numbers. When youre confident hit the meet, shock the crowd, internet sensation.

Cynical I know haha

On a semi related note, in general how do a novices gym lifts translate to their 1st few competitions? In other sports I know it can take some people a while to do replicate with the spotlight on them what they can do in training.
    Is it a similar thing in powerlifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭aria1

On a semi related note, in general how do a novices gym lifts translate to their 1st few competitions? In other sports I know it can take some people a while to do replicate with the spotlight on them what they can do in training.

I did my first meet in Jan and PR'd each lift by 5Kg. I think if you've done your research beforehand and get the prep right, adrenalin and the buzz give you a good push.

It depends. If you always max in the gym and aren't a skillful lifter you may not hit as much in comp. If you're training a long time and are use to the buzz of some form of competition, you'll be ok.

Dunno if any of you follow Brittany, but she's a fitness model / athlete.
    She's also really hot and has some insane training diary videos.

Posting this because it's the latest one and she's coming up to competition soon. Documents her day from 4.30 to midnight with two training sessions and her working day.

Built a strongman type log during the week. Not bad for a first effort. Handles are an issue. Got some good advice from former U90s champion. Trying it out Sunday I think.

20rpu8z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭COH

squod wrote: »
    Built a strongman type log during the week. Not bad for a first effort. Handles are an issue. Got some good advice from former U90s champion. Trying it out Sunday I think.

I sincerely hope you have health insurance :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Yeah, I'm probably stating the obvious but for sure; a first comp can throw you off your best.
    My own experience: was squatting XYZkg for like 7x3 the week before the comp and only came out with that weight +5 kg. Only got my opener, like.
    Forget what my bench training ended at but I "should" have been able for 15kg more than I came out with. Only got my 2nd att.
    Deadlifts went "okay" in that I PR'd for my bodyweight (and within 5kg of my all-time) but got red flags on my 3rd lift for letting the bar descend a little when grinding out the lockout. I obviously didn't have the strength either way but it's an example of something I wasn't really aware of / should have known. Nearly got penalised for shorts showing under my singlet too.

Basically I didn't really lift what I would normally have thought I could. I wouldn't put it down to "spotlight" at all, more like between cutting water weight til the previous day and warming up right across several hours on the day and doing more draining max effort attempts in the one day than I was used to.

Might have another go at that April one, doing a few weeks of programmed squatting in case the whim properly takes me.

Advertisement