Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Morgans

Reliable enough to go out on a limb on betfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Have it on a fairly reliable word that the Fly wont run this year :(

Seems like you're the only one? Price is unchanged on the exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

I actually don't think Fly will make it, sure he only made it once so far. He ran a lot last year so don't like the fact we didn't see the horse yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Morgans wrote: »
    Reliable enough to go out on a limb on betfair?
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Seems like you're the only one? Price is unchanged on the exchanges

I have done so myself, but yeah I see hes price is rock solid on BF, the info is from a chap working in the stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

I have done so myself, but yeah I see hes price is rock solid on BF, the info is from a chap working in the stable.

I'm sure if this was the case that Mullins and his cronies would be lashing into the price?

I know a person who rides out for the yard and he said he never hears anything ever. Very close knit supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Have it on a fairly reliable word that the Fly wont run this year :(

Was that a "won't run" or a "things are not looking good"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Huntey wrote: »
    I'm sure if this was the case that Mullins and his cronies would be lashing into the price?

I know a person who rides out for the yard and he said he never hears anything ever. Very close knit supposedly.

Yeah i heard this aswell. Guy i know had a couple of horses with Mullins a few years back. He always says Mullins wouldnt tell you the right time of day it was if you met him at the races. Only ever told him about his horse and how he expected it to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Morgans

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    [/B]

Yeah i heard this aswell. Guy i know had a couple of horses with Mullins a few years back. He always says Mullins wouldnt tell you the right time of day it was if you met him at the races. Only ever told him about his horse and how he expected it to run.

That's the kind of trainer I'd like to have horses with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Is champion chase getting the pricewise treatment tomorrow?

Wishful Thinking is blue across Oddschecker

I've beaten Segal on price of his Gold Cup & Champion Hurdle picks but I want nothing to do with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The ante post markets are a bit of a joke for the first 5 or 6 in the betting for most races.
    Would'nt you think one of the bookies would stick their neck out and take a chance and offer decent ante post prices.
    Most of the horses priced up at the top of the beting now will be bigger on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

robbie1977 wrote: »
    The ante post markets are a bit of a joke for the first 5 or 6 in the betting for most races.
    Would'nt you think one of the bookies would stick their neck out and take a chance and offer decent ante post prices.
    Most of the horses priced up at the top of the beting now will be bigger on the day.

Ladbrokes are really taking the piss with their prices. I know they're going Non runner/No bet on the big 4 races but they've murdered the prices as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Is champion chase getting the pricewise treatment tomorrow?

Wishful Thinking is blue across Oddschecker

I've beaten Segal on price of his Gold Cup & Champion Hurdle picks but I want nothing to do with this one

I cant figure this selection at all.

I cant figure this selection at all.

Once again he's picking a big priced horse for the sake of picking a big priced horse. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot barge pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Once again he's picking a big priced horse for the sake of picking a big priced horse. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot barge pole.

I think Tom Segal has earned a little bit more respect than this

Nope, don't see the sense here either.

On one hand you can argue he was never gonna tip a 10yo at 5/2 or an 11yo at 9/2 & ignoring those 2 the race looks wide open. However Wishful surely needs further & hasn't looked at all at home over 2n this year & was slammed by Finian's Rainbow

Someone on Betfair tipped Forpady at 50/1 last night. While he's not one for me I'd be on him at 50s before Wishful Thinking

I'm talking specifically about his Cheltenham ante-post selections. Don't take it so personally Richie, unless you're a relation of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

in fairness he has, and his selections are longshots for a reason, he is selecting against the common opinion..

Bet365 appear to be NRNB on the championship races

aidankkk wrote: »
    he is selecting against the common opinion..

Not necessarily what a "value" tipping column should be about

Some of the best value bets you'll have are actually at shorter prices. Backing a 6/4 shot that should be evs gives you way more juice than backing a 20/1 shot that should be 14s. I consistently make most money year in year out in the period October-December punting horses at relatively short prices, often 1st time out interspersed with a few decent ew bets

In fairness to Segal he has to tip "something" as the ante post column is flagged up to readers way in advance. Quite often you get the definite impression he doesn't fancy anything at a double figure price but punters who know nothing about "value" will complain if he tips a jolly. I said on another thread that this was quite obvious last year when he tipped Captain Cee Bee in the champion chase & while I haven't read today's column I'd be suspicious this is more of the same tbh

Not necessarily what a "value" tipping column should be about

[\Quote]

By this I mean that obviously if you are confident your opinion is, on average, more accurate than the general public's you should finish ahead in the long run

It's just that big price does not necessarily => best value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I've just been watching the RPTV ante-post preview of the Champion Hurdle. I can't believe that Tom Segal put up Oscars Well for this one eek.gifeek.gif!!! That horse won't come within an ass's roar of winning a Champion Hurdle.

I really don't see the point in him tipping a big priced horse just for the sake of tipping a big priced horse. The fact that Oscars Well is now only 16/1 for the Champion Hurdle is purely down to Segal tipping it. He should be at least a 33/1 shot for the Champion Hurdle, considering his form so far this season.

Off memory he was tipped at 16/1 and doesn't seem to have twitched since, would be very surprised if he was even in top three

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Off memory he was tipped at 16/1 and doesn't seem to have twitched since, would be very surprised if he was even in top three

I think it was 20/1, Ladbrokes cut their 25/1 NRNB the day before

I can actually see where Segal is coming out of with Oscars Well as I said here and here

A lot of people seem to be tipping OW on the basis of Neptune horses having a reasonable record in the Champion. However I reckon it's very doubtful that OW is an Istabraq, Hardy Eustace or Peddlers Cross. On the other hand I do believe the race is wide open if The Fly doesn't make it in top form

mdwexford wrote: »
    Sprit Son and Zarkander would be the two I like the most at the moment although it is worrying not to have seen them.

Don't be too worried neither ran in England until after Christmas last season.

I am going to get rightly stuck into Zarkandar on payday, can't believe Nicholls is considering putting him in a handicap as a prep, he must have really come on since last year to throw him in a handicap giving a few decent looking prospects some weight. He will need to have improved a stone to have a handy race in a handicap and be competitive in the big one.

Given what Premier is saying, it's very very interesting that Flat Out is entered in Naas this weekend and in the Betfair Hurdle, he will hardly end up in the Champion, will he?:eek:

Can't have Grandouet given he ended up on the deck twice in the last 5, unlucky in Aintree but it's enough reason for me.

I think it was 20/1, Ladbrokes cut their 25/1 NRNB the day before

I can actually see where Segal is coming out of with Oscars Well as I said here and here

A lot of people seem to be tipping OW on the basis of Neptune horses having a reasonable record in the Champion. However I reckon it's very doubtful that OW is an Istabraq, Hardy Eustace or Peddlers Cross. On the other hand I do believe the race is wide open if The Fly doesn't make it in top form

Not sure how you do your fancy url hocus pocus but I said in the pricewise antepost thread he had quoted 16/1 but Ladbrokes were 20/1 NRNB.

Can't see it with Hurricane Fly, Unaccompanied, Binocular, Spirit Son, Grandouet and Zarkandar all in the race.

I think the most ridiculous price of all is Binocular at 10's. Unless they put an engine in when he had that breathing operation then he won't be winning any Champion Hurdle.

I would not rule Binocular out with the breathing op and given what happened two years ago, plus he may well get treated earlier this year for his "allergy" :pac:

Do me a favour mate and ask him the targets for Samain and Flat Out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I would not rule Binocular out with the breathing op and given what happened two years ago, plus he may well get treated earlier this year for his "allergy" :pac:

Neither would i, there is a reasonable chance that last years first 2 who were well clear of the rest wont be running, and this will give him a great chance against more or less unproven horses, if he can return to form...

His festival form is very good in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

If the current market leaders turn up Binocular will be lucky to be in the first five home. Third string from the Henderson 2 milers as it is.

He was never the superstar he was made out to be, a very good horse all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

I hope the fly gets there this year I think this years champ hurdle will be a cracker and I want to see the fly in the thick of it..it's the only way we'll know how good the newbies are!
    Can't wait..
    Anyone any comments on cinders and ashes for the supreme novices?

• Advertisement

He was never the superstar he was made out to be, a very good horse all the same though.

An absolute pig of a horse imo, you'd never know which one would turn up but always runs well at Cheltenham.

Gave me my best day when bookies had Go Native at 28/1 for the Fighting Fifth!!:D

Advertisement