Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

RoverJames wrote: »
    Which one?

Act of Kalanisi, I've only 3 euro on him but at 16/1 not so bad! Some of the lads put 20 quid or more on from winnings they got yesterday, that will be a nice lump!

Jemmy wrote: »
    Act of Kalanisi.........

:o

I reckon the ground is to firm for him, best runs are on good to soft or softer again, best of luck anyway. although he won on firm on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

:o

I reckon the ground is to firm for him, best runs are on good to soft or softer again, best of luck anyway.

Could be, I'm only going to lose 3 quid so not worried all a bit of fun! Put an each way on Balgarry too, sure I haven't a clue!

You can send me tips for tomorrows cheltenham :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Are you really looking to drag that back up?
    That wasn't flirting, I've known him over 5 years he was slagging me! ;)

No, I don't really care TBH. A little hypocritical of you to be complaining about something one day and *appearing* to be doing the same the next, but that's just my opinion. I have no idea how long you know anybody on here if at all.

Carry on, as you were.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nothing hypocritical about it at all, one comment slagging me about appreciating rugby players compared to a continued few days of it constant double meanings directed specifically to one or two people is a different story altogether. ;)
    If that was flirting I must seem like I'm flirting with girls and all :eek:

Whatever tickles your pickle!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    No, I don't really care TBH. A little hypocritical of you to be complaining about something one day and *appearing* to be doing the same the next, but that's just my opinion. I have no idea how long you know anybody on here if at all.

Carry on, as you were.;)
    Nothing hypocritical about it at all, one comment slagging me about appreciating rugby players compared to a continued few days of it constant double meanings directed specifically to one or two people is a different story altogether. ;)
    If that was flirting I must be flirting with girls and all :eek:
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Whatever tickles your pickle!;)

Let's not go here again

LIGHTNING wrote: »

We had a very talented driver who nearly won the F1 championship and again most Irish people wouldnt know that.

Eddy Irvine?

Surely most Irish folk know about Eddy :)
    I lol'd when he said he'd rattled Ronan Keetings Mrs in days gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Senna.

That was a great film! Such a shame he went before his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Not really,the Irish team won the A1GP championship and sure nobody knew that.

We had a very talented driver who nearly won the F1 championship and again most Irish people wouldnt know that.

Anybody who ever watched the BBC's coverage knows that Eddie Irvine was only Irish when he lost....

Was it Ralph Firman who raced for Jordan under an Irish license?

And looking on wikipedia brings this:
    In 2007, Firman, along with Daisuke Ito, won the Japan Super GT GT500 class championship with the Aguri Suzuki co-owned ARTA team. Firman and Ito won the championship before the final race of the season, a first in the series' competitive history.
    That's interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dartz wrote: »
    Anybody who ever watched the BBC's coverage knows that Eddie Irvine was only Irish when he lost....

Which is no worse than a selection of people in Ireland claiming Rory McElroy is Irish when he wins something to be fair.

draffodx wrote: »
    Which is no worse than everyone in Ireland claiming Rory McElroy is Irish when he wins something to be fair.

Let's not get carried away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Let's not get carried away now.

Edited ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I adore F1, to an almost unhealthy extent. I'm glad not a huge amount of people in Ireland like it, I'd get really annoyed if people casually followed it and just said 'Hamiltons the best' as most people I know do.

I can't wait for Bavaria City Racing in Dublin, because for that weekend, EVERYONE will be an F1 fan, and yet probably won't watch the races either side of it.

Not really I remember talking about him when he was doing really well and nobody knew who he was. Motorsport doesn't have any real public showing here in Ireland, which is a shame as we have so many talented drivers in all areas of Motorsport.

That's weird, all the F1 races were on terrestrial TV back then, we had to endure Peter Collins shouting "right up his gearbox" over and over again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Yup our man, famously punched in the face by Senna.
    Probably the man to ask this so here it goes.

My friend is doing the motorbike track training in Mondello soon. He was told the other day that for track days bikers need an extinguisher, full one piece suit, race legal helmet, gloves & boots.

Is that true? An extra 2k he said it'd cost him to get that sort of gear if he wants to do trackdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

BDJW wrote: »
    Maybe the nation has some good taste?! :pac:

To be fair, in the last 5 years or so rugby has inherited a lot of eejits who are only supporting it as they think it's the cool thing to do, and they all drive me mad :mad:

I know what you mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Johntegr wrote: »
    Probably the man to ask this so here it goes.

My friend is doing the motorbike track training in Mondello soon. He was told the other day that for track days bikers need an extinguisher, full one piece suit, race legal helmet, gloves & boots.

Is that true? An extra 2k he said it'd cost him to get that sort of gear if he wants to do trackdays.
    Doesn't sound right to me at all, none of the car track days or training days need race gear. As far as I am aware as long as you have normal road leathers you should be OK.

It's been a few years since I was in the bike scene, however an extinguisher?! That can't be right. Nowhere on a bike to keep an extinguisher.
    Race legal helmet will be the same as an everyday helmet, they all pass the same tests. Full one piece leathers doesn't sound right either, they may have changed it, but you used to only need 2 piece leathers which zip together. Gloves, boots and helmets are all standard everyday equipment.
    When I had a bike, I wouldn't get on it without all my gear....helmet, back protector, jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. It's just not worth the risk otherwise

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I remember watching the rugby in the 80's and 90's with my Dad, amazing the way it's changed, played it for a year or two as well.

Got to go to my first match ever last year (Leinster H Cup semi final) it was amazing) and might (fingers crossed) end up at the game this weekend in London if the gods smile on me.

It's had a massive impact on children in recent years, apparently the GAA are struggling as a result.

That aside, it wasn't my wishbone bushes the NCT fuppers failed, it was the actual ball joint itself,the rubbers were split etc, so the correct part has now been ordered :)

How the previous NCT didn't clock it is beyond me.

There is no consistency with them as far as I can see!!

Stheno wrote: »

It's had a massive impact on children in recent years, apparently the GAA are struggling as a result.............

In very few areas are the GAA struggling due to kids taking up rugby, there's a GAA club in the vast majority of parishes throughout the country, there are few rugby clubs in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In very few areas are the GAA struggling due to kids taking up rugby, there's a GAA club in the vast majority of parishes throughout the country, there are few rugby clubs in comparison.

Not sure I'd agree with you there, in the context that the IRFU have had a campaign for several years to develop rugby throughout the country and are targetting youngsters more, I came across a few articles on it over the past couple of years.

It's more that recent successes in the 6N and HC have propelled rugby forward in terms of publicity and the IRFU have the system in place to exploit that, and are province based as opposed to county based if that makes sense, so they are attracting far more levels of interest as a result and diminishing interest/involvement in GAA.

Even this week the group of people I was working with were discussing involving their kids in sports, and rugby was well ahead of GAA for them.

Might be just my perception, but I do remember reading about it at one point last year.

Not sure I'd agree with you there...........

I have no doubt more kids are playing rugby now than 20 years ago :)

My point was that there are relatively limited opportunities for kids to play rugby throughout the country rather than GAA. Despite what you read and despite what the IRFU are up to there is still a GAA club in most parishes in the country and very few rugby clubs in comparison.

I have no doubt more kids are playing rugby now than 20 years ago :)

My point was that there are relatively limited opportunities for kids to play rugby throughout the country rather than GAA. Despite what you read and despite what the IRFU are up to there is still a GAA club in most parishes in the country and very few rugby clubs in comparison.

True and that's a very fair point, but the publicity that wins in recent years has generated massive payback and interest in the game for the IRFU and their having the structure to deal with it is probably going to increase our potential in the future.

Have to admit I'm not a fan of the GAA and their very (imo) pariochial structure :)

Have to admit I'm not a fan of the GAA and their very (imo) pariochial structure :)

If you lived in the middle of nowhere and had a few kids playing GAA locally and another one wanting to play rugby 10/15 miles away you might have a different view :)

If you lived in the middle of nowhere and had a few kids playing GAA locally and another one wanting to play rugby 10/15 miles away you might have a different view :)

Of course, but that's the dynamics that influence decisions.

Everyone I was talking to this week in relation to it were Dublin based, so they'd loads of choice, and for several it came down to the percieved risk of injury, and serious injury at that.

From the non rugby fans, their perceptions were that it was an ultimately dangerous sport when considering the options.

Doesn't seem to be putting off the rising membership though :)

I have next to no interest in either tbh :
    If I had kids I'd be more worried about them falling off their bicycles than being injured playing either football, hurling or rugby. Whichever took their fancy would be what would be the main factor imo not what I'd prefer them to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

That's weird, all the F1 races were on terrestrial TV back then, we had to endure Peter Collins shouting "right up his gearbox" over and over again :pac:

".....racing in anger at the Monaco Grand Prix....."

I have next to no interest in either tbh :
    If I had kids I'd be more worried about them falling off their bicycles than being injured playing either football, hurling or rugby. Whichever took their fancy would be what would be the main factor imo not what I'd prefer them to play.

we discussed this week, rugby is possibly the most stringent in terms of preventing injuries due sadly to previous injuries.

I unlike you am interested in sport, I follow GAA to chat about it, but don't like it as a sport as my PE teacher in school injured a player who subsequently died in the late eighties, whilst having played rugby I'm aware of the precautions.

Personal bias at play

I unlike you am interested in sport.......

I never said I wasn't into sport ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Don't forget the 'rate of attrition', another line that he had to say a couple of dozan times a race.

Just going back to Senna, I have a vhs copy of the San Marino grand prix somewhere, recorded live on the day. Hard to believe its 18 years, the memory is so clear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement