Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 PW Draft *Discussion thread - voting info post 2048*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Some really clever picks going in this round. Early doors obviously but Cactus Col has a nice look to his card so far. Williams and Gordy are a good pick as a team or indeed a singles guys.

Happy to be 8th next time, being at the top leaves the temptation to pick some of the bigger names that mightnt necesarily give the best matches. Some of the very big stars are actually hard enough to book too as theyre so well known or have feuded with everyone alredy or are hard to find a suitanly big star to pitch them against.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

So good, he had to say it twice:pac:

Bloody 3G conection!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    Some really clever picks going in this round. Early doors obviously but Cactus Col has a nice look to his card so far. Williams and Gordy are a good pick as a team or indeed a singles guys.

Happy to be 8th next time, being at the top leaves the temptation to pick some of the bigger names that mightnt necesarily give the best matches. Some of the very big stars are actually hard enough to book too as theyre so well known or have feuded with everyone alredy or are hard to find a suitanly big star to pitch them against.

cant say im not happy with 4th but I kinda agree, atleast a bit later you can make a plan knowing who will be gone. Personal preference will play a big role in the top few drafted so although there are obviously quite a few guys id be very happy with getting ive no idea who im going to pick despite such a good draw. 2 guys in mind atm, just hoping that 2 other guys that are argueably bigger names go in the first 3 picks cos honestly I dont think id do them justice booking wise despite their stature/obvious awesomeness. Wont influence it but do kinda hope Volt gets a better draw in the next round, he's this years D2D so far, kinda fitting with him being the boards.ie R-Truth though... I've got a kid called Jimmy in one of my classes (4 years old de qualifies him to be lil jimmy) maybe ill get him to do the draw for me next time :P

cant say im not happy with 4th but I kinda agree, atleast a bit later you can make a plan knowing who will be gone. Personal preference will play a big role in the top few drafted so although there are obviously quite a few guys id be very happy with getting ive no idea who im going to pick despite such a good draw. 2 guys in mind atm, just hoping that 2 other guys that are argueably bigger names go in the first 3 picks cos honestly I dont think id do them justice booking wise despite their stature/obvious awesomeness. Wont influence it but do kinda hope Volt gets a better draw in the next round, he's this years D2D so far, kinda fitting with him being the boards.ie R-Truth though... I've got a kid called Jimmy in one of my classes (4 years old de qualifies him to be lil jimmy) maybe ill get him to do the draw for me next time :P

Pretty sure I can call the seven picks that'll go ahead of me, leaving two or three names that'll fit in nicely on my card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

It's frustrating that I'll essentially be getting leftovers again but as long as Walt doesn't take my back-up I think I might be okay.

Pretty sure I can call the seven picks that'll go ahead of me, leaving two or three names that'll fit in nicely on my card.

Id be confident of guessing the first 6 but the order I really couldnt say. There is always a surprise though, for instance I doubt many expected Sheamus to be the no.1 draft overall despite his irishness

Id be confident of guessing the first 6 but the order I really couldnt say. There is always a surprise though, for instance I doubt many expected Sheamus to be the no.1 draft overall despite his irishness

True but even then he first two rounds have eliminated guys like Punk, Seamus and mybe Cena that people might have badly wanted. As you say the order of choice will be interesting if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

11th? Hmm. I can give up on getting a massive name, but a lot of big names will last that long, hopefully. :o

CMpunked wrote: »
    11th? Hmm. I can give up on getting a massive name, but a lot of big names will last that long, hopefully. :o

as i kinda eluded to before people in your area of the draft people might get saved by the fact we are already 2 rounds in and perhaps some names wont get picked cos they wont fit the plans people have already started to think up around the few guys they already have and thus could be available a lil later than expected. Your Andre draft was a steal for you though and could help you here if you dont get the main eventer you want I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

That's the exact problem I'm looking at, I can take so many huge names that I'd be stupid not to take, but can I get them to feud with Del Rio correctly? While there are other names that would be late picks next round that are a better fit!

I just realised that i picked Cena and Hogan last year and now have inadvertently chosen their early career counterparts. :rolleyes:

Your right BH, that seems like a very clever set up with the two stip rounds at the beginning. Where in previous years people would just go and grab those BIG names and then work the rest of the rosters around them. But now their already picked names have to be considered now. Great move BH!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I know it's just the luck of the draw but I'm really feeling the effects of an uneven playing field. Any chance in future years we could take away the randomness for say, the first two rounds?

I just realised that i picked Cena and Hogan last year and now have inadvertently chosen their early career counterparts. :rolleyes:

Your right BH, that seems like a very clever set up with the two stip rounds at the beginning. Where in previous years people would just go and grab those BIG names and then work the rest of the rosters around them. But now their already picked names have to be considered now. Great move BH!

I did something, yes i'll take credit go me.

ill be honest that was only something I thought of while observing the past 2 rounds but had wanted to move up the deceased wrestler rd for sure so that everyone could get a big name in it.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I know it's just the luck of the draw but I'm really feeling the effects of an uneven playing field. Any chance in future years we could take away the randomness for say, the first two rounds?

If the general consensus was that this should be the case and I was still running the draft i'd atleast argue the case to D2D (assuming he is too), Flah brought this up and as I said to him I did too in a previous year but most liked the random nature of the draw and tbh so do I*

*once you dont get screwed in the draw like there is a CONspiracy going on that is

I did something, yes i'll take credit go me.

ill be honest that was only something I thought of while observing the past 2 rounds but had wanted to move up the deceased wrestler rd for sure so that everyone could get a big name in it.

Aye it's a much better idea than having it late last year. Just looking at some big dead names left that would benefit anyones roster, unlike last year were people ended up with some real duds

If the general consensus was that this should be the case and I was still running the draft i'd atleast argue the case to D2D (assuming he is too), Flah brought this up and as I said to him I did too in a previous year but most liked the random nature of the draw and tbh so do I*

*once you dont get screwed in the draw like there is a CONspiracy going on that is
    To be honest I dont think it needs to be changed. It's frustrating getting low numbers early on, but one match doesn't win this thing, it's the whole card. I know a PPV with a great selection of mid card matches would get a higher vote than a one match show

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Got my phone connection working so shouldnt be any trouble making my pick when its time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Looking in on it I think randomness is great, but to even it up you need to do it in 2 round increments. No reason why it should be possible for a top 5 pick right the way through. Draw the randoms and then do the opposite order the next round and then every 2nd round randomise it again is what I'd do tbh...

Was anyone else having o2 phone internet problems yesterday/this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Sorry bout the delay having internet probems at home and in work at the mo so should have my pick up tonight sorry again lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

ah damn it no.20 in such a vital round cant complain so much since got no.1 last time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

To be honest I dont think it needs to be changed. It's frustrating getting low numbers early on, but one match doesn't win this thing, it's the whole card. I know a PPV with a great selection of mid card matches would get a higher vote than a one match show

Also, doinf a flip of numbers could be rough on people who get drawn in the middle; the random draws may be tough on people but i do think its the fairest way...

Liam O wrote: »
    Looking in on it I think randomness is great, but to even it up you need to do it in 2 round increments. No reason why it should be possible for a top 5 pick right the way through. Draw the randoms and then do the opposite order the next round and then every 2nd round randomise it again is what I'd do tbh...

Exactly my suggestion earlier. You stil have the craic of the draws every couple of rounds but also a more even distribution of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Exactly my suggestion earlier. You stil have the craic of the draws every couple of rounds but also a more even distribution of talent.
    Except stip rounds through that out the window as it allows you to get people you can't normally which means going first in the stip round vs. going last in the 10th round (making these up obviously) will have a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Still having trouble deciding who to pick for this round, especially with being able to fued them against anyone having first pick next round

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice. I was hoping for my first top ten draw this year and landed number two. Spoiled for choice now on who to go for but what a delicious problem. :D

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Walter hasnt been online since 6pm, doesnt look like we're gonna make any progress tonight

• Advertisement

He has until 4am, he'll post before then for sure.

Advertisement