Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Jerseys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

One main sponsor is enough for G.A.A. teams. Some of the French football & Rugby league jerseys look terrible plastered with so many sponsors. It does look very tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd prefer to have a horrible jersey and more money to put into development of young players and better facilities for existing ones.

Some of the preoccupation with optics and superficialities in this thread is surprising to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

keane2097 wrote: »

Some of the preoccupation with optics and superficialities in this thread is surprising to say the least.

It's a thread about how jerseys look...:rolleyes: It would be surprising in a thread about underage structures alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's a thread about how jerseys look...:rolleyes: It would be surprising in a thread about underage structures alright.

Obviously I'm not talking about people commenting on how individual jerseys look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to have a horrible jersey and more money to put into development of young players and better facilities for existing ones.
    I would be worried that the introduction of a second sponsor will mean a reduction in income for a number of counties. There are only a limted number of companies with the funds available and willing to sponsor county teams, a small number of high profile teams will each pick up a second sponsor, leaving less competition to become the main sponsor of other counties, never mind their second sponsor. Dublin are obviously the hottest property in terms of attracting sponsors and it is likely a company looking to use GAA sponsorship as a way of advertising may choose to become Dublins second sponsor, rather than Carlows, for example, main sponsor. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. There is already a lot of competition for company sponsorship from other sports without the GAA turning on itself.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Dublin are obviously the hottest property in terms of attracting sponsors and it is likely a company looking to use GAA sponsorship as a way of advertising may choose to become Dublins second sponsor, rather than Carlows, for example, main sponsor.

They must not be that hot because Vodafone are dropping their sponsorhip of the Dublin teams in August/September. It just depends on how far they get in this year's championships. Actually Vodafone were a last minute sponsor for Dublin there a few years back after Arnotts pulled the plug. Same as Chill Insurance for Cork. A last minute deal. County boards/teams are having trouble finding one sponsor, let alone several sponsors to cover their jersies.

The Kilkenny County Board have only signed a further two year deal with the Glanbia (Avonmore) to sponsor the Kilkenny teams. I thought more like a 5-10 year deal would be more appropriate considering Kilkenny's recent success.

I was talking to a delegate who attended Congress. He reckons that you will probably end up seeing the main sponsors & partners of the Hurling & Football Leagues and All-Ireland Championships - i.e. Eircom, Supervalu, Etihad, Ulster Bank, Centra, Guinness, Electric Ireland, Cadbury and maybe some of the older ones, such as AIB & Bank of Ireland on the county jersies, as most counties are struggling to find and hold on to even one main sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can someone tell me how much the new jerseys are out in the O'Neills outlet in Ballymount, can't remember since I was out there last and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trip.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how much the new jerseys are out in the O'Neills outlet in Ballymount, can't remember since I was out there last and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trip.

They were €40.00 in the O'Neills House of Sport factory outlet. But, since then O'Neills increased the price of the jersies in the shops & on the O'Neills website from €60.00 to €62.00 in February. So, I assume they maybe €42.00 now in the factory shop.

I bought two new jersies at the end of January at €40.00 each.

Any luck?

I came across this seller on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Your-County-GAA-Jersey-/261205997903?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item3cd117394f#ht_790wt_932

He has got some bottle to sell the jersies at 90.00 Euro a pop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

EIRE1922 wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Your-County-GAA-Jersey-/261205997903?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item3cd117394f#ht_790wt_932

Why would anyone pay that? You can buy direct from O'Neills. Even if I was living abroad, I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly €30 extra so I get the normal version instead of the international one. Would anyone ever notice it's missing a stripe?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

If people are stupid enough to buy it from whoever that is, then more power to them.

I agree. Sure, you can pick them up for 40.00/42.00 each at the factory shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd be more concerned he's left out counties in Connacht and Munster from his list of counties
    surely it shouldn't matter if its O'Neills or Azzurri shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Limerick wearing blue at Croker today

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Offaly away jersey is a serious jersey..

743701.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BreakingBadLad

There's a new Monaghan GAA Jersey launching on Thursday this week following the renewal of Investec's sponsorship through to the 2015 season.
    link here: http://www.monaghangaa.ie/2013/05/new-new-new-our-new-jersey-will-be-available-to-view-on-our-new-website-www-monaghangaa-ie-next-thursday-evening-830pm/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Connorzee wrote: »
    Offaly away jersey is a serious jersey..

743701.jpg

I concur but it's about time

Everything up to this point has been rank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gerpurcell

What will they have for the Wicklow Longford game this weekend?

I dont believe ive seen these teams in an away kit, has anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

gerpurcell wrote: »

longford have a white shirt

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    longford have a white shirt

Both Wicklow's and Longford's change of jersey is white.

http://wicklowgaaonline.com/2010/06/17/cavan-v-wicklow-time-to-stand-up/

Wicklow do have the option of a gold jersey with blue trim or a provincial jersey of green as a third choice. Longford would also have the choice of wearing provincial green. Something similar to the O'Neills Saint Patrick's Day 'green range' of jerseys.

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/go-green-2013/go-green-county-jerseys/wicklow-gaa-green-jersey.html

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/leinster/longford-gaa/longford-gaa-green-jersey-2013.html

By right Longford should wear white as they are the visiting team and Wicklow should wear blue as they are the home team, so to speak. The G.A.A. however, seem to insist on both teams changing when a clash of jersey colours occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Both Wicklow's and Longford's change of jersey is white.

By right Longford should wear white as they are the visiting team and Wicklow should wear blue as they are the home team, so to speak. The G.A.A. however, seem to insist on both teams changing when a clash of jersey colours occurs.

When Cavan played Longford in 2011 qualifiers in Cavan, Cavan wore white and Longford wore their usual blue jersies.

But the previous year Cavan played Wicklow in the championship in Cavan and Cavan wore blue with Wicklow wearing white.

There are plenty of other instances of this - that is what led me to believe it was decided by a toss of a coin :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BreakingBadLad

New Monaghan home (white) and away (blue) jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

That Monaghan jersey is nice - could never be seen in one :D but nice jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

gerpurcell wrote: »

Last year Longford wore blue vs Laois who wore white when the 1st round of the championship was played in Pearse Park.

This is the jersey I'd imagine Longford will be wearing on Sunday as the away team -
    http://www.oneills.com/gift-ideas/county-collection/longford-gaa-white-jersey-2012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Up close picture of it on the Monaghan GAA website. Seems to have a similar chequered pattern on the sleeves as the Dublin and Galway shirts.

http://www.monaghangaa.ie/

Dublin and Galway have hexagons, it's Meath who have a checkered pattern like that

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if it was anything other than one team in blue and the other in white.

The other solution would be to do what was done in 2001:

INPHO_00050839.jpg

Advertisement