Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

caught Zoey kicking on video camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

javagal wrote: »
    caught Zoey kicking on video camera!
    Cool! My daughter caught a glimpse of our little one moving about today, she was totally amazed! Even hubby hasn't seen that!

Quick question girls, there seems to be alot of conflicting ideas on what I can or cannot take for a cold. I have a bad cough and am generally smothered with...well....a snotty nose!

I was under the impression that I can take PARACETEMOL not PANADOL. And it's ok to take Manuka honey in hot water ( my dr said honey was fine, but googled if Manuka was safe and most said yes!) but a friend told me that she was told PANADOL and NO HONEY!!

Confused......

Help?

honey is fine my doctor told me.
    paracetamol and panadol are the same thing i thought, just different brands?
    i was told any brand of paracetamol is fine as long as its not the active fast or extra strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I was always told panadol.even when I've had very bad headaches,and when I was in icu when preg with ds1 (I had pneumonia) I was just given panadol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

See I was told honey was fine but not Manuka honey: saying that I've googled it and can't see why they said no Manuka!! Panadol/paracetamol afaik are the same: and you can take that and it doesn't affect baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Panadol is a brand name, paracetamol is the active ingredient in it (and in many other drugs, like Lemsip Original, and Hedex Original)

And paracetamol is considered to be fine during pregnancy (there is some recent research to say it can affect a baby boys fertility, but just one study so far, and not widely publicised).

As for honey, as long as it's not straight out of the hive, it should be fine. I've had it a lot so far, and both the hospital and the docs have said it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Silly had an awful cold last month, I took just plain paracetamol, I was taking manuka honey in hot water but when went to the chemist they advised against all honeys but particularily manuka as it is not pasterurised, what they did tell me to take and I found it good was either ribena or mywadi( or any cheap diluet orange/blackcurrent drink) made up with boiled water, its worth trying? also halls sucky sweets are ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Silly try ginger tea - piece of ginger peel, cut into pieces, add hot water and 1 teaspoon of regular honey, leave for few minutes and then drink when still really warm - then bed and next morning you will be better - my friend recommended it years ago, my doc said it is safe and I tried when my cold was getting worse and it helped.

I had great weekend and horrible day today, not only my boss was really upset whole day today and was making comments to everybody about everything, then when I get home my OH was in bad mood as well and everything I done was wrong - inc dinner!
    they both behave like they are pregnant and they have mood swings.

I'm so angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I had a persistent cough while doing cycles & early in this pregnancy, both the clinic & doc advised Manuka honey...was never told not to take it later in pregnant but it hasn't come up since so can't give you a 100% on it.
    Like others I believe paracetamol & panadol to be the same thing!
    I quit aspartame before getting pregnant & I have to say its one of the best things I ever did! It's in everything (cordial was my main drink) but I feel so much better now it's not in my system! Worth looking into it if you have a lot of it like I did :)

Saurelin I hope tomorrows better: and if my OH complained about dinner (if I ever cooked it!) I'd probably dump it on the bin: temper is a bit frayed these days though!! But tomorrow another day and hopefully they both are less like hormonal pregnant people tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Kash wrote: »
    Panadol is a brand name, paracetamol is the active ingredient in it (and in many other drugs, like Lemsip Original, and Hedex Original)

And paracetamol is considered to be fine during pregnancy (there is some recent research to say it can affect a baby boys fertility, but just one study so far, and not widely publicised).

As for honey, as long as it's not straight out of the hive, it should be fine. I've had it a lot so far, and both the hospital and the docs have said it was fine.

Oh feck!!! I`m having a boy and I`ve taken parecetamoml at least once every day - I have chronic migraine. In the past I`ve had to be given morphine. I vomit for days, lose my sight, speech and some movement - I thought te trauma of these things would be worse. :eek: I`m really freaked out now, I was told it was absolutely safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

theg81der wrote: »
    Oh feck!!! I`m having a boy and I`ve taken parecetamoml at least once every day - I have chronic migraine. In the past I`ve had to be given morphine. I vomit for days, lose my sight, speech and some movement - I thought te trauma of these things would be worse. :eek: I`m really freaked out now, I was told it was absolutely safe.

The migraine is almost certainly worse - I know exactly how they feel, and for you to be in so much pain cannot possibly be good for the baby. I read about the study when I had my first pregnant migraine, and I literally lay there on the bed clutching my two untaken panadol with my eyes streaming from the pain trying to decide if I should take them. Eventually I came to the same conclusion you did - the pain and distress had to be worse.

But it was one study, and the study has been called into question since. Some experts appear to be scaremongering (probably to fund more research) and others say to take the findings with a pinch of salt.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol#Adverse_effects
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11711243

Please don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Mink wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't be watching them either, in fact my midwife said to me it's best not too. And really she's right as it is dramatised to make for good telly. As I've said before the show does tend to show the real drama births or unusual births and you don't see all the "run of the mill" ones. It's nowhere near as bad as the American One born!

But I love watching the wee babies finally getting born and seeing the family together for first time, always chokes me up.

If you think One Born is bad I should introduce you to one of my dearest friends. She told me at the weekend she would prefer a c-section if she ever had kids, because she's heard "they take away everything and you get your figure back quikcer." Honest to god, she had no concept that it was in fact major surgery.
    But the icing on the cake was when she said that a natural birth was undignified! I just had to laugh at her then.
    notsobusy wrote: »
    Also I was looking at prams and buggies today on the internet and I am now totally confused!!!
    We are buying 2nd hand as we just can't afford new and I have no idea what to buy. Looking at getting a second hand travel system but then read that baby shouldn't spend too long in the car seat! How long do they need to be flat for until travelling in the car seat becomes ok?

The physio at our ante-natal class last week talked a little bit about this. She said its affecting kids a few years later, and they're seeing this now. But I never like seeing babies in them, they always looked hunched over and uncomfortable.

We bought one of these second hand on adverts recently
    http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-ultima-9-in-1-mpx-chassis-mimi/259918700/type-i/

I've a bad back anyway, and I thinking I won't be able to lift the car seat out of the car onto the wheels as its quiet heavy even without a baby in it, so I'll just put the pram bit in the boot and use that for the first few months and then get an insert for the pushchair to make it cosier. That's the plan anyway, don't know if it'll work tho! Probably end up putting my back out in a supermarket car park someday trying to get the car seat out of the car because I'll get fed up dragging everything in and out of the house.

theg81der wrote: »

I've had to make that decision more than once this pregnancy: one study isn't conclusive: I had to be given pethidine last time I was in... not something they would normally give untill you were in labour... had to take Zantec when my eosphogus was getting torn with vomiting: the risk of not taking them far outweighs the risk of taking them. I really would not worry even in the slightest. Your doc wouldn't let you take them if they were at all concerned. Seriously don't be worried!

Kildareash your friend makes me laugh: although I'm not sure I entirely disagree with the undignified comment :p

I'm getting the Baby Elegance Beep its really light and has the pram attachment or can attatch car seat if I'm just running into the shops. Plus I like red ;)

cyning wrote: »

I'm getting the Baby Elegance Beep its really light and has the pram attachment or can attatch car seat if I'm just running into the shops. Plus I like red ;)
    I'm so jealous of all of ye who have decided on what buggies ye are getting.
    I haven't a clue!!! That one looks very suitable exept I think I would need bigger wheels for the country roads here...although the roads ate quite dangerous do I doubt I would be walking on them, almost killed a woman with a buggy the other day- turning a sharp bend on narrow road, you have to keep in by ditch as you can't see if there z's something coming against you, so I turned the corner and bamb! There's a woman with a buggy on the bend, and I'm heading straight for her, thank god there was nothing coming the other way as there was some serious swerving going on.

Anyway. So I wasn't going to get the pram attachment, as I have a Moses basket and crib so I won't need it in the house for baby to sleep in. I was just going to get a buggy that I can fit a maxi cosi car seat into.

So, the story is now that a new born shouldn't be in those car seats unless in the car?? Confused. Do I would be buying this pram attachment for, going for walks for like the first 8 weeks??
    So say if I'm going to the shopping centre for a nose around, I put baby in maxi cosi, go to the shopping centre, take baby out and put into pram and walk around, then take baby out of pram and into maxi cosi for spin home? How long do I have to do this?

I got the quinny buzz, delighted with it, it's sturdy and easy to push.

I never knew any of this about car seat. main reason I got the quinny is because i thought it would be handy to just take seat from car and slot into buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I'm sure as long as you're not leaving baby in the car seat for hours on end, it's fine.
    Not sure how long babies need to lie flat for, must look into that one myself. I'm just planning on using the pram because I know I'll do myself an injury trying to lift the carseat in and out of the car.

I hadn't planned on getting everything in one set, just I seen the ad and it was too good to leave behind. On the m&p website I can buy an overnight mattress for the pram for €21 and use it as a Moses basket. People have told
    Me ill still need a second Moses basket for downstairs but to be honest, I just think thats unnecessary spending that we can't afford.

Wld have loved a red pushchair too...don't know why I just love red ones!

Off out for late lunch with himself now. Had a lovely couple of days together. Wish he wasn't going back to work tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Oh wow lads all this talk of buggies and prams and travel systems has me winded! I'm getting some aul third hand buggy thing off a friend of ours, I haven't even seen it yet, but it will do whatever it is! As for car seat...we don't have a car at all so that solves that (although SO is trying to sort out lessons and the like now, I don't see there being a fully licensed driver in the house before the autumn anyway the way things are going!) Eh...what's the story so if you need to travel with baby in a taxi to docs appointment say? Is it safe to just keep them in your arms? Either that now or there'll be a lot of walking in my future! Also, what's this about having to keep baby lying flat? First I've heard of that, but then again, I know nothing! I actually hadn't even thought about it til I saw ye all freaking out here!
    In other news, I'm back to the doctor later this afternoon over that palpitations/faintness/shortness of breath thing I was telling ye about before, there's been no let up in it at all...I'm actually fully sick of being pregnant now!
    (pulls out own hair and cries for half an hour over something she can't remember what it was - yay hormones!)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I've seen a 2nd hand silver cross 3D buggy that I like, you can turn the buggy part into pram with some attachments but it's a soft bottom not a firm. wonder does this matter.....

Looking at 2nd hand moses basket aswell so not so worried about using the pram bit in the house.....

If I get back to work which I would say would be as soon as I can!!! Baby might have to be left in the pram bit....I work for myself so would be able to check every few minutes etc....but that's only if my mum can't take he/she for the few hours! Also depends on how busy I will be....oh so many thoughts and options!!!!

It's not safe to travel with a baby in your arms in any vehicle but it is not illegal to travel that way in a taxi although I know some taxi drivers wouldn't take you...I'm sure others would. Depending on how you plan to get home from the hospital you may find you need a car seat for them to let you leave! Worth looking into whether someone can lend you one for the few times you might need it. The main thing is not to buy a car seat secondhand unless you are 100% certain it hasn't been in any type of accident.
    Many pushchair parts on travel systems are not suitable until the baby is 6months old which I find weird as many babies don't last 6 months in the pram part...so what do you do in the meantime? As for overnight sleeping in the pram...it has to be suitable for that, it's not just the mattress that matters...the pram itself has to be well ventilated and will state whether it's suitable for overnight sleeping if it is :) If you are getting a pram suitable for overnight sleeping but don't want to drag it to bedroom for night sleeps...we were recommended to get a crib as they last a little longer than a moses basket!
    The car seat is fine for zipping to the shops etc but not as a pram replacement... however you can buy pushchairs (not travel systems that I know of) that are suitable from birth and are much cheaper than the travel system. It might be a better option if the budget is tight as they are lighter & more convenient than the travel system option.
    It's a minefield of options & I think after lots of research, we have decided on the uppababy...it's pricy enough but meets all our need which includes suitability for rougher terrain & I like how high up the baby sits compared to other models. It's also adjustable for a second should one come along in the future & a child should fit in it for as long as they need unlike the likes of iCandy models.
    We have a friend with the baby elegance ego (a great priced system) who loves it although at 5.5months their little girl has outgrown the car seat but she might have done that with any group 0 car seat :)
    I wasn't dealing with any wheels that might get a puncture...half way around a 5km walk in the rain with a baby & a dog...getting a potential puncture was a non starter for me :D so that ruled out a collection of systems.
    We were advised if you were a city dweller who only travel on pavements - the Sola by mamas & papas was a good system - didn't suit us but might help others!
    Good luck as it is probably one of the harder decisions to make :)

• Advertisement

Just incase ye didn't hear the radio ads, if you register with sma you get a free ticket to the baby fair in Dublin/cork.
    The tickets are €10 each, so getting one for free is a help!
    I just registered and I get a welcome pack sent in the post, and I already recieved an email with the code for the free ticket that can be used on ticket master.

smanutrition.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Depending on how you plan to get home from the hospital you may find you need a car seat for them to let you leave!
    :O seriously?! But they can hardly keep me captive til SO learns to drive! haha. walking home it will be then! That's really rattled me now so it has!

The thing I like about the beep is the wheels are the rubber ones that can't get a puncture but but you can change them for the pumped ones if you want: it's an extra €40... Plus you can change mattress on pram part to make it suriw for overnight sleeping. I'm just going to get Moses basket though.

I was told not more than two and a half hours in the car seat in mothercare and the nursery supplies store.

Sitting waiting for doctor again... I feel like I never leave the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm going to interject in amongst all the buggy/car seat talk (I have absolutely no good advice to add as I'm as lost as everyone else)...

I'm having a boy!!!

Had our big scan today, all is perfectly normal. No mistaking it's a boy. He had his legs spread and was waggling his junk around :D I'm delighted (would have been either way) but I was dreading OH telling his mam as it's all boys in his family. She took it well and she said sure it's only your first haha.

Finally looks like a proper little baby now, all formed and everything. Very cool seeing the spine, little feet, face and the different chambers of the heart pumping.

He's sizing up 5 days behind my dates but sonographer said that at this stage, as long as it's within 2 weeks it doesn't matter & still totally normal.

:O seriously?! But they can hardly keep me captive til SO learns to drive! haha. walking home it will be then! That's really rattled me now so it has!

So I have heard...not you being held captive but the needing a car seat! Now there must be exceptions to that rule for people who don't have cars & intend to walk home (as long as they regarded it as a walkable distance) but if you needed to get a taxi they might insist on it. I didn't mean to freak you out so please don't let it rattle you just check the next time you see the midwife :)
    Another option might be if you buy a system like the baby elegance ego or beep it comes with a car seat but is still in the reasonable price bracket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just see can you borrow a car seat even just for taking him home. When I went to collect my sis and her new baby, I left the car seat in the car just a tiny bit up the road from hospital (Rotunda). They wouldn't let us even carry him to the car, I had to go back and get the car seat and bring it up, any babies leaving the hospital have to be in a car seat. Don't worry about it though, you'll have ages to sort out borrowing one. I'm sure someone will offer to drive ye home!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Mink Delighted on your wee boy..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Mink - congrats! Another boy - yay!!!

Silly - thanks for that link - though it doesn't work for me because it keeps telling me my due date isn't in the scope... boo. And of course I'm having a complete meltdown about it! Bawling and the likes! I would love a ticket for free - esp as I'm bloody broke!

Had a rough couple of weeks so every little thing is setting me off - my good friend lost her baby (they had had ivf so it's an extra really horrible time, though a miscarriage at any time is horrendous), my uncle died, we got our mortgage application refused and I realise that as I've been reducing my hours to finish my phd I'm not entitled to maternity benefit - and because I started my phd 3 weeks after my 23rd bday (as opposed to being under 23) I don't qualify for student credits to add to my case for maternity benefit. On top of that I've only a few more weeks to finish a very shoddy phd so to say I'm a wreck is a bit of an understatement! The only thing that's keeping me going is thoughts of my little girl!!

My OH is treating me to dinner tonight - let's hope I manage to eat my dinner without a meltdown, bloody pregnancy hormones ;)

Mink wrote: »
    I'm having a boy!!!

Had our big scan today, all is perfectly normal. No mistaking it's a boy. He had his legs spread and was waggling his junk around :D I'm delighted (would have been either way) but I was dreading OH telling his mam as it's all boys in his family. She took it well and she said sure it's only your first haha.

Congratulations Mink :) another boy in the mix!
    Delighted all is well & that's the thing with boys...if they have their legs apart on the scan it becomes pretty obvious :D It is really nice to start seeing all their little features...I'm really looking forward to having a 3d scan done & seeing our little clay baby :)
    I had a similar thing with my family as my brother has two girls so both my parents & brother would have liked a boy but I'm delighted either way :) we hope to have another so they can cross their fingers for that one ;)

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    I was told not more than two and a half hours in the car seat in mothercare and the nursery supplies store.

Sitting waiting for doctor again... I feel like I never leave the place!!

That sounds similar to what we were told (in less direct manner) - on a 3hr journey to allow them a decent stretch about half way before putting them back in. It's a decent amount of time to cover most journeys etc that you might need to do in a car seat :)

I hope the docs goes well for you today...my partner was ill a few years ago & we were back & forth to the docs the whole time but we have a great relationship with our doc now as a result so it has it's long term positives ;)

Advertisement