Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Mamaheidi you really have had it rough the last few weeks so allow yourself the meltdowns when you need them :) our best friends would have been due 3 weeks after us after many failed IVF attempts but miscarried early on & it was tough on all 4 of us so I kinda know how you are feeling!
    Getting a phd is incredibly hard work at any point in life so that on top of everything else will be quite an achievement but you can do it :) one sentence at a time if needs be!
    Surely you can fiddle the dates if need be :) but I can't see why you should be outside the limits as we are all within weeks of each other & July is hardly far from April when the event is on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Mamaheidi I hope you enjoy your special dinner tonight!! I don't have any problems as big as those but I think I'd have a meltdown too.

I screamed and growled at a parked car with no one in it today. Was in a parking garage before my scan and managed to get my car into an awkward space only to find that I couldn't get out. I would have been able to before getting preg, but not a hope now. I really cursed at that stupidly parked car beside me. There was a man walking past only to see me with my arse wedged between two cars growling like a lion.

I don't know what I'd be like if I had real stresses going on!

Oh sorry Mink but that did make me giggle as I could see myself doing exactly the same thing! Someone always has to walk by at the wrong times don't they :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Congrats Mink on your little boy. Even though I don't want to find out, I'll be having a good look at my anomaly scan on Saturday!

Hope the dr goes well for you cyning.

Mamaheidi - put in any date you want, it won't matter, or just say you already have a child, you don't need to enter any due dates then. €10 is €10! Not to be sniffed at!
    My heart goes out to you with all that's going on with you...your little girl will make everything make sence!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Thanks Ladies!

Mink I just burst out laughing at your story - thanks for that!

And I'm not afraid of fiddling dates but the bloody thing just won't work at all for some reason - I made up a child but still no joy! And the strange thing was once I put in my Oh's details with an imaginary child his went through straight away! I think I'm cursed today! I've sent them an email so hopefully I'll get one soon. I'm looking forward to going & if it's free then even better ;)

Thanks again ladies - I'm usually strong enough to deal with most things but hormones are driving me nuts! Luckily I've the best OH ever & am going to be a mammy soon so no matter what else happens I'll have that to cling to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Yay Mink!!
    More boys for our many girls to have crushes on in years to come. :)Delighted for you!

We bought the Britax B-Smart 3 travel system, which included the car seat and has the option of being a pram, with baby lying flat, or a buggy, with the babyu sitting up, and can face foward and back.

I'm glad it's bought, because otherwise I would have had to buy this beautiful thing and the car seat seperately : http://www.mothercare.ie/cosatto-stroller-yo-limited-edition-go-lightly-preorder-march-delivery.html

It's just so pretty!!

Mamaheidi, I am sure even with pregnancy hormones & one thing from your list you would be fine :) but without being pregnant that's a pretty tough time to go through so with added hormones you deserve a nice treat with your other half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

The boys are fighting back! Congrats mink :)

Feck sake, trying to buy the baby and pregnancy fair tickets on ticket master... Seems to be sold out!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Congrats Mink!!!

• Advertisement

silly wrote: »
    Feck sake, trying to buy the baby and pregnancy fair tickets on ticket master... Seems to be sold out!!?

Whoa, sold out???
    I just tried doing it on the sma site and it won't work so I was wondering if they just ran out of the freebies.
    But now you can't even buy them?
    Now that I can't have them, it makes me really want to go :o

Mink wrote: »

Whoa, sold out???
    I just tried doing it on the sma site and it won't work so I was wondering if they just ran out of the freebies.
    But now you can't even buy them?
    Now that I can't have them, it makes me really want to go :o

I can't get SMA to work but went into ticketmaster & I can get paid tickets no problem :) silly what did you tell SMA to get it to work?
    On ticketmaster I searched pregnancy & up popped cork & dublin...could reserve tickets for Dublin but I want a free one :)

So I put in a date with my partners name within the running time of the promotion (21 April - like I would be walking around the RDS with a week to go :rolleyes: ) & it worked so I guess it's a database error!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Ah Kash that pram is so pretty,, dh would kill me if I even suggested it though !!

TwoMums2Be wrote: »

I can't get SMA to work but went into ticketmaster & I can get paid tickets no problem :) silly what did you tell SMA to get it to work?
    On ticketmaster I searched pregnancy & up popped cork & dublin...could reserve tickets for Dublin but I want a free one :)
    I just put in my name, email and my correct due date! Then I was put through to a further section to add my address etc.
    I got an email with the baby fair code.

So I went onto ticket master, I requested one paid ticket and one sma ticket with the code, and it just kept telling me that there was nothing that matches my request etc.

Damn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Congrats on your little man Mink!!!! The boys are fighting back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Mink: that made me laugh so much sorry :p and yay a boy!!

Mamaheidi thats an awful lot to go through: I hope things start improving a bit for you. And that dinner was lovely.

Doc's was fine today: I love hearing babs heartbeat! Still a little faster than it should be, but then my heartrate is too so that's to be expected. I'm 40 different kinds of sick of blood tests: I'm back to looking like a druggie with the bruises again!

I bought nightdresses for labour today in Penny's: showed hubbie there: he sat down laughing at them (and thus me!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

lol Cyning what are they like, Cyning i know you have to get your bag ready early,
    but when are the rest of ya.s planning on starting your own hospital bags? prob do mine before my exams in May,one less thing to worry about,
    108 days woo!

Glad your docs appt went well cyning. Going to bring himself to my next docs appt coz he hasn't heard the heartbeat yet!

I get paid monthly so I'm going to start picking up a few bits every month. Probably start in a few weeks. I feel like I don't have much to get but then I look at the list. Be nice to see a few ticks beside things!
    Seen the cutest scratch mits on amazon - one said 50% mum and the other had 50% dad on it.

I started wearing nightdresses since the bump appeared. The band on my pj bottoms used to ride up onto my bump during the night and it was getting uncomfortable. Don't know myself since I switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Hi Ladies,

Cyning fingers crossed for you all time :)

Mink congratulation :)

Mamaheidi, poor you, maybe there is something that can be done for maternity leave? Ask in social welfare they are really helpful (sometimes)

my boss was much nicer today but that didn't reduce work load ;-) sometime I wish there is a chance to work less hours while pregnant - 10 hours a day it's getting harder

hubby on the other hand is really difficult, I hope it is only work related.

Anyway - 2 days to weekend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

According to a friend of mine who had a baby last year they didnt ask her at all about a car seat leaving the local maternity, wuhoo!

In other news, was back at the doctors again today for a follow up visit with those symptoms I described in a previous post, she jumped straight to suggesting anti dependants?! I declined and asked for a blood test like another poster recommended (something about needing a simple vitamin b supplement I think) so will be heading back for that next week. I'm not too happy about the doctors suggestion to be honest, surely that stuff couldn't be good for baby? Anyone here with any experience of it? Also, I know a few of you mentioned ye experienced similar things, did ye mention it to your own doctors? This is literally my second trip to this gp, its not like shes too familiar with me or anything, just find it weird she would straight away suggest anti dependants to a pregnant lady without any further investigation! (yes I realise the irony in staying awake worrying about this!)

Wow, she seems to be jumping the gun a bit there, Nyquist! I suppose it depends on the specific anti-depressant, but I know there are significant risks with taking some types during pregnancy - and as far as I know, if you are already on them and then get pregnant, you need to carefully weigh up the risk to the baby if you continue and the risk to the mother if you stop. I certainly wouldn't be taking them for the first time during my pregnancy.

I'm going to start picking up a few things this weekend - I put together a list from the essentials thread over in Newborns and have got all excited. But I am still not sure what the difference is between a sleepbag, a baby gro and a vest!

I also have no idea about the hospital bag, but I was 2 months premature when I was born, so I want to do that sooner rather than later! Just in case little miss takes after her Mummy :)

Kash wrote: »
    But I am still not sure what the difference is between a sleepbag, a baby gro and a vest!

a baby grow has long sleeves and legs, it buttons up the front and down each leg ( to put on and take off easily) http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=babygros&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=13

A vest goes on over the head - and has short sleeves, no legs, and 3 fasteners underneath to tie, easy to put on nappies with these, as you don't have to take them off. http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=babygros&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=2

A grow bag is like a blanket really , or like a pillow case! It fastens at the shoulders and the baby goes into it like a...dress, but with the ends closed, if you know what I mean. They can sleep in these afaik, as it's like a blanket that will not fall off them at night. http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=baby%20gro%20bags&sa=N&biw=320&bih=416#i=6

Not sure if those links will work, as I'm on this through my phone.

a baby grow has long sleeves and legs, it buttons up the front and down each leg ( to put on and take off easily) http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=babygros&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=13

A vest goes on over the head - and has short sleeves, no legs, and 3 fasteners underneath to tie, easy to put on nappies with these, as you don't have to take them off. http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=babygros&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=2

A grow bag is like a blanket really , or like a pillow case! It fastens at the shoulders and the baby goes into it like a...dress, but with the ends closed, if you know what I mean. They can sleep in these afaik, as it's like a blanket that will not fall off them at night. http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=baby%20gro%20bags&sa=N&biw=320&bih=416#i=6

Not sure if those links will work, as I'm on this through my phone.

Silly, I think I love you :)

So, it turns out I already have one grow bag (aka a sleepsuit?) Yay!
    I'm going to be a total genius at this motherhood thing :rolleyes:

javagal wrote: »
    but when are the rest of ya.s planning on starting your own hospital bags?

I think I'm going to have mine ready at the end of May so will be 2 months before due date just in case I go early (touch wood I won't)
    kildareash wrote: »
    I started wearing nightdresses since the bump appeared. The band on my pj bottoms used to ride up onto my bump during the night and it was getting uncomfortable. Don't know myself since I switched.

Ooh I might do this, I'm finding PJ bottoms harder and harder to get into properly.
    In other news, was back at the doctors again today for a follow up visit with those symptoms I described in a previous post, she jumped straight to suggesting anti dependants?! I declined and asked for a blood test like another poster recommended (something about needing a simple vitamin b supplement I think) so will be heading back for that next week. I'm not too happy about the doctors suggestion to be honest, surely that stuff couldn't be good for baby? Anyone here with any experience of it? Also, I know a few of you mentioned ye experienced similar things, did ye mention it to your own doctors? This is literally my second trip to this gp, its not like shes too familiar with me or anything, just find it weird she would straight away suggest anti dependants to a pregnant lady without any further investigation! (yes I realise the irony in staying awake worrying about this!)

I would report the doctor. I think it's absolutely disgusting that they would try to prescribe you anti-d's without going through all other options, investigating nutritional aspects etc. Anti-depressants are so full of horrendous side-effects, you really have to be very careful with them and sure of what you're doing.

Now not to get all conspiracy-theoryish but the pharmaceutical companies do make it somewhat of a vested interest for GP's to prescribe their drugs. My friend is a doctor and she went to a conference on pharmaceuticals and the drug companies really wined and dined them, it was just all sales pitch for their individual product.

When I go to my GP's, all I see is pens and stationary and other bits and bobs with Lexapro written all over it, the sales man had paid a visit!
    A grow bag is like a blanket really , or like a pillow case! It fastens at the shoulders and the baby goes into it like a...dress, but with the ends closed, if you know what I mean. They can sleep in these afaik, as it's like a blanket that will not fall off them at night.

Can you put newborns in these grow bags or do you have to wait til they're maybe a month or three months old?

Kash - you made me laugh! I too am gonna be a genius at this ;) I learned a couple of weeks ago the vest / babygro difference. But now I'm confused at what they wear and when they wear it. Like, does a baby wear a vest all the time - even under a babygro / a little outfit like a dress? And at night do they wear the vest, babygro and wrapped in the sleeping blanket!? And is there a difference between the day babygro and the night babygro!?

I'm so utterly clueless! I think my OH thinks I'll know all this by instinct or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Baby wears a vest all the time,under all their clothes,in their first few weeks some people prefers to keep baby in babygro's all day and night a it's sometimes easier with all the pooing and spewing,I never did I always dressed them. But generally babygro's are for night time. You will all. Get the hang on it,it a huge adventure

NyquistFreak - I agree with Mink - it's disgraceful that she should offer to prescribe something like that on just your second visit. I'm not very familiar with anti-depressants or the side-effects but I'd be a little wary of beginning them now, mid-pregnancy all the same. It might be different if your body was used to them previous to the pregnancy. Is there another doctor at the practice you could visit?

I think a sleepsuit is the same as a baby gro. Not a gro bag.

When I had my daughter, she was in a sleepsuit/baby gro with vest day and night for the first few days I suppose. But it's good to get babies into a routine of "night clothes" and "day clothes" so even if you want to keep them in a baby gro during the day, try to change them into another one for bedtime, and change again in the morning.

• Advertisement

According to a friend of mine who had a baby last year they didnt ask her at all about a car seat leaving the local maternity, wuhoo!

It always amazes me that when docs jump for the prescription pad when you describe a set of symptoms.

I agree with Mink, I think you should report that doc. Can't believe a doc was about to prescibe you some. Had she even looked at you, I don't mean examination but seen your bump or read your file?
    I know there are some people who need them, but for a lot of people who are prescribed anti-d's often changing other factors in their life, such as diet or exercise or talking to a counsellor can help.

Well done to you for asking for the blood test. Hope you get some answers soon.

Advertisement