Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

hi all & congrats on bumps,
    ive been following this thread since the start but have been a bit shy about posting as i am clueless about most things baby .but since ye have started chatting about buggies ive decided to finally give it a shot.......im the expert on this one ,ive spent at least two hours everynight since november looking at the damn things(bought my car online in a day)i loved the cosatto they are so cute ...took my hubbie to see it in a shop and he made it his mission to try to kick the wheel off it(ill admit the wheels are a bit flimsy....honestly you cant take him anywhere:eek:) baby elegance seem lovely very light(dont know if that is a good or bad thing ,but they looked very stylish too and cheap for a travel system...im seriously thinking about getting this one) next up was the maclaren saw one of thoose and decided to give it an aul push(seemed lovely till i realised it wasnt for sale it belonged to another customer....turns out you cant take me anywhere either)we left the shop fairly soon after that and havent had the courage to go back looking again since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

kildareash wrote: »
    I know there are some people who need them, but for a lot of people who are prescribed anti-d's often changing other factors in their life, such as diet or exercise or talking to a counsellor can help.

It's so true, I've seen it time and time again. Or also if you're depressed re different situations, often talking about it -whether it's a counsellor or friend- can help, I know it does for me. Anti-d's should be LAAAASSSTT resort. Same thing with diet & lifestyle for kids that supposedly have ADHD. Actually don't get me started on all that, it's a can of worms for me!!
    ive been following this thread since the start but have been a bit shy about posting as i am clueless about most things baby.

Welcome mmmn.chicken! When ya due?
    I have it on my to do list to start really confronting what the hell I'm going to get for baby for the big stuff. When we told OH's mam about fact baby is boy from the scan, she said she was going to start getting us stuff soon. I want to be able to tell her what I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Can't believe some doctor offered a 20 something week pregnant lady anti-d's. Crazy!!

Anyone else getting nose bleeds?? i get them near once a day now and tthe phlegm in the back of my throat is back :(

But in good news, Asos have 25 percent off for students today woo!

BTW here is my bi weekly belly picture. I am getting huge!! Everywhere!

[IMG][/img]245weeks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Welcome mmmn.chicken :) most of us are pretty clueless when it comes to baby stuff ;)
    At least now we have a better idea of the clothes part :D So everyday & night baby should have a nappy & a vest to start with & then either a daytime babygro or nighttime sleep suit (which are both full arms & legs) or a little outfit in the daytime...is that right?
    Now what about hats...how long do babies wear hats for? Is it weather dependant or do they always have a hat until a certain age? There should be a leaflet on all this stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Hell yes! Leaflets! I need hundereds of them - I have a tonne of questions on everything. How do you know if they have eaten enough? Is it possible to feed them too much? And how often should they be fed? And winding/burping, how do you know if you are doing it right? What if you can't get them to burp? What about changing? How do you change a nappy? Do you use wipes or not? What about baby powder? Do you need nappy rash cream? How often do you bath them? Do they need a special baby towel?
    Do they need any cleaning products/creams/lotions or potions? What temperature should their room be? What temperature should they be? How long should they sleep? How often? What do they wear in bed? Do you put a blanket over their grobag/sleepsuit? Do you put a vest on under it?

*deep breaths Kash, deep breaths*

Welcome chicken, jump right in!

You made me laugh out loud at the image of you pushing someone elses buggy around :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Welcome chicken! Congrats on your pregnancy, your post made me laugh.

Girls, I ended up winning 2 tickets to the baby fair on face book! Yay me!
    Now to convince hubby to come with me. He'll have to, or I might go a bit mad buying stuff.

If anybody see's cow print baby clothes, like a baby grow or vest, reasonably priced, let me know please! Hubby's a farmer, so I think it would be cute.

Kash I'm hoping the what to expect 1st year book will answer some of this stuff...maybe I should buy it soon just in case it doesn't :)
    The buggy thing made me laugh too...we have become buggy stalkers...seeing what brand it is as they zoom by! Not yet got the nerve to ask anyone what they actually think of their buggy :)
    Our friend said we should just ask as she regularly has random strangers ask how old her little girl is & then size up clothes against her to see if they will fit the intended recipient :D

silly wrote: »
    Welcome chicken! Congrats on your pregnancy, your post made me laugh.

Girls, I ended up winning 2 tickets to the baby fair on face book! Yay me!
    Now to convince hubby to come with me. He'll have to, or I might go a bit mad buying stuff.

If anybody see's cow print baby clothes, like a baby grow or vest, reasonably priced, let me know please! Hubby's a farmer, so I think it would be cute.

Oh who did you win them off? That's super!
    In my search for brights I came across a cow print outfit...I will look it up later & get back to you :) remind me if I forget as baby brain is in full force :rolleyes:

Kash that post is classic!!
    I'm hoping when baby comes it goes click and I'm like "duhh"
    Silly I have a cow print baby grow set from mothercare I can post a pic of if you like!

Kash wrote: »
    Hell yes! Leaflets! I need hundereds of them - I have a tonne of questions on everything. How do you know if they have eaten enough? Is it possible to feed them too much? And how often should they be fed? And winding/burping, how do you know if you are doing it right? What if you can't get them to burp? What about changing? How do you change a nappy? Do you use wipes or not? What about baby powder? Do you need nappy rash cream? How often do you bath them? Do they need a special baby towel?
    Do they need any cleaning products/creams/lotions or potions? What temperature should their room be? What temperature should they be? How long should they sleep? How often? What do they wear in bed? Do you put a blanket over their grobag/sleepsuit? Do you put a vest on under it?

*deep breaths Kash, deep breaths*

Welcome chicken, jump right in!

You made me laugh out loud at the image of you pushing someone elses buggy around :)
    Oh em gee.....

Ahm.... Alot of these things baby will tell you themselves, by caring their head off!
    I think, of I remember correctly, they are to drink 4oz every 4 hours at the start...not sure how you'd know when breastfeeding though. Baby's will not drink if they are not hungry though.
    You'll know if a nappy needs changing....
    Don't use sudo cream unless they actually have a rash, best to use vasalene, to keep their bottom waterproof!
    Burping is easy, either rub their back in circular motions, or tap lightly. Or a trick my mom thought me yrs ago if you lie baby back and then to sitting up position and do that motion nice and slow for a short while, a burp will come. I actually do this to myself when I have trapped wind and I need to burp, hubby thinks I'm crazy, lying down and sitting up and lying down and sitting up..but it works!

Hats are only worn outside or if the house is cold afaik.
    Heat leaves the body through the head so that's why people put hats on. The hospital is usually very warm, so I wouldn't think you needed one there. One for going home though.

For the grow bag - I don't think you need a blanket and a gro bag. The gro bag should be warm enough, and a vest underneath is all I would put on, although again, it all depends in the house!
    I'm not going to bother with a grow bag. A baby gro and a blanket should be fine.

You would usually have special baby towels for babies, with hoods, they are all I would use at the start, first 2-3 months anyway. Some people bath every night, some every second night. For the first 4-6 weeks I would prob just use water but you can get mild johnsons stuff for bathtime, some can have lavender which relaxes baby....all part of routine too, bath baby before bed..they will then know that particular smells means sleep time I.e lavender.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Writing all this on the phone is not easy, there are probably loads of wierd auto corrects!

Love the bump java! I think I may still be slightly bigger, but not far off! Yay!

• Advertisement

TwoMums2Be wrote: »

Oh who did you win them off? That's super!
    In my search for brights I came across a cow print outfit...I will look it up later & get back to you :) remind me if I forget as baby brain is in full force :rolleyes:
    won them off hey baby , one of the shops that will be at the fair.
    If you could find that link that would be great!Cheers.

javagal wrote: »
    Silly I have a cow print baby grow set from mothercare I can post a pic of if you like!
    Yes please! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Thanks for the replies girls, that's exactly what I was thinking. I asked about anemia or if it was a blood sugar thing (diabetes on anti sides of my family) or if it had anything to do with the fact that I'd gone from being very active (cycling about 8km a day which I've given up now) to not very active at all, she just told me to go book myself in for my blood test upstairs and brought in the next patient. My moneys on iron or vitamin deficiency anyway, will keep ye posted, cheers for the feedback!

NyquistFreak I thought Iron went you first said, are you taking any?

Silly here are those pics, Sorry if theyre huge, the little bum is also kinda like udders lol!! My stepdad bought it,he's a farmer too!

2012-03-22140031.jpg
    2012-03-22135946.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Nyquist that's crazy: that doc should be given a slap around the head with a medical book! Palipitations/faintness and dizziness can be "normal" in pregnancy but can also be anaemia etc. Plus if you have a history of diabetes in the family you are at greater risk of getting that/ having b12 deficincies and thyroid problems: they are all endocrine issues and all incredibly common during pregnancy. I'm so glad you told her you wanted bloods done! And anti depressants are really not the answer during pregnancy

Kash I have all those questions running around my head too: you are definately not the only one!!

Welcome mmmn.chicken: we are definately not all experts here! When are you due?

Java nosebleeds have totally stopped for me: haven't had one in about a month I'd say!

I plan on making all baby's food when the time comes to spoon feed, I refuse to waster money on jars when making food is just as easy and much better for baby.
    So I have had my eye on this in mothercare and it was over 100euro, wonder should I get this while its on sale..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babymoov-A001004-Bebedelice/dp/B002APLROG/ref=sr_1_38?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1332424209&sr=1-38

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

ive been following this thread since the start but have been a bit shy about posting as i am clueless about most things baby .but since ye have started
    chatting about buggies ive decided to finally give it a shot.

mmmn.chicken, that made me laugh! Congrats on your pregnancy. When u due? You'll see from reading the thread that most of us first timers are learning as we go!
    Kash wrote: »

Did you read my mind???? All those questions just swirl around in there. Some days I feel this poor baby is going to rear itself. Boyfriend is probably even worse than I am. I'd say I'll have my sister and mam's headwrecked with questions.

javagal wrote: »
    I plan on making all baby's food when the time comes to spoon feed, I refuse to waster money on jars when making food is just as easy and much better for baby.
    So I have had my eye on this in mothercare and it was over 100euro, wonder should I get this while its on sale..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babymoov-A001004-Bebedelice/dp/B002APLROG/ref=sr_1_38?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1332424209&sr=1-38

Plan to do the same Java, the smell of those jars make me feel sick. But I just bought a food processor in Aldi a few weeks ago for €40. A friend of mine recommended the Annabel Karmel book of baby meals. Can't remember the exact title now.

Edit: Sorry Java should have read it all and not just looked at the pic. That sounds great. Warms bottles and everything!

Java, that looks good - especially if you can get it for half price.
    We have a tiny blender already, so I'm not sure I need a new machine - at least not yet. But I think you are dead on with making your own, we'll probably do exactly the same when the time comes.

Silly, thanks for the attempt at answering my questions :D I could easily keep going! I think you are right though, the baby will quickly teach me what she likes/needs and what she doesn't. I'll learn!

silly wrote: »
    won them off hey baby , one of the shops that will be at the fair.
    If you could find that link that would be great!Cheers.

In my search to find ticket giveaways I found you...your SMA ordeal pointed you out :) Cork would be handy enough for us but I'm taking my folks to Cirque Du Soleil that weekend so it has to be Dublin for us :) I have now entered two comps to get tickets so fingers crossed!
    I will look it up as they had all sorts of cute stuff...Javagal that's a pretty cute set, must look out for it next time I'm in Mothercare :)

• Advertisement

I too am starting to get moderately freaked out about now knowing what to do with a new baby. I more or less know & have read about it & had it said to me. But I want to be more certain before the day comes so I'm not freaking out.

Will see if can find some good little How To videos on Youtube etc. I saw two on whatsupmum.ie & they were pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I'm sitting here deciding what to have for dinner! There's feck all food in the house so it's probably going to be a take away.....I'm starving and I can't decide what to eat at all.....I'm thinking of going to a posh take away and getting their posh burger because I think that's what I want but can I justify spending 12euro plus a 15 minute drive.....The local pub do a lovely burger but they don't do take away :( oh my......I am so lazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

MINK! Congrats on having a boy :)

notsobusy wrote: »
    I'm sitting here deciding what to have for dinner! There's feck all food in the house so it's probably going to be a take away.....I'm starving and I can't decide what to eat at all.....I'm thinking of going to a posh take away and getting their posh burger because I think that's what I want but can I justify spending 12euro plus a 15 minute drive.....The local pub do a lovely burger but they don't do take away :( oh my......I am so lazy....

If it's what you want then go right ahead & get it :) sometimes we have to indulge baby desires ;) I really want chips from the take away where I grew up but it's 2.5hrs away :rolleyes:

Oh girls I am so pissed off. My iphone got snatched out of my hand when I was waiting for the train. I'm normally so vigilant about not risking it getting it stolen and I just dropped my guard. Little fecker scumbag whizzed past me and legged it and no one saw.

It's not so much the phone it's just I've never been robbed and I was so upset. I then had to sit through a long packed train ride trying to keep it together til I got to my car at the station. I just felt so angry and violated, my hand was bleeding afterwards from whatever way he snatched it - don't even remember getting cut!

500 odd euro down the drain! Plus anyone who has an iphone will know that it's hard to live without once it's gone!!

OH has been very sweet to me to make me feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Mink wrote: »
    Oh girls I am so pissed off. My iphone got snatched out of my hand when I was waiting for the train. I'm normally so vigilant about not risking it getting it stolen and I just dropped my guard. Little fecker scumbag whizzed past me and legged it and no one saw.

It's not so much the phone it's just I've never been robbed and I was so upset. I then had to sit through a long packed train ride trying to keep it together til I got to my car at the station. I just felt so angry and violated, my hand was bleeding afterwards from whatever way he snatched it - don't even remember getting cut!

500 odd euro down the drain! Plus anyone who has an iphone will know that it's hard to live without once it's gone!!

Oh Mink thats awful: have you reported to guards? (The gardai can request from the network after to see if its been used with what number) Had you find my iphone activated? . If so at least you can lock and erase it so whoever has it can't use it. Ring network and bar it aswell. At least you know the little fecker won't be able to use it then aswell.

If you have house insurance most of them will cover phones outside the house aswell might be worth ringing? It doesn't have to be a specified item, and alot of policies have a lower excess for things like that too.

I know I'd be lost without mine :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

thats lousy mink ,im sorry, have a look at getting it blocked at least that will give you some satisfaction.

Mink, you poor thing - getting mugged is a horrible experience, and especially something like the iPhone, it becomes so constant. What sort of scumbag robs a pregnant lady for **** sake. :(

Had you 'find my iphone' activated? You can send them a nasty message and then brick the phone, and the police can use it to locate the place it was taken to.

Mink wrote: »

Oh my god, that is such a horrible thing to do! I hope karma bites him in the ass and something bad happens him.

Like said before, block it and call the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Omg Mink, that's awful. What a horrible thing to somebody. I just hope he gets what he deserves.

Anybody any idea where to get a reasonably priced maternity swimsuit? I've seen a few online but am afraid to buy as they are mostly non-returnable and I'm not exactly the same size in everything I try on... I'm not that near a mothercare either so I'm wondering if anybody has any other ideas?

Advertisement