Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUDGET 2012

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would like to think that after a life time of tax paying work, I would not have a medical card taken off me .
    And not be put in the same bracket as tracksuit Tom who has been to feckin lazy to lift his arse out of bed since he was thrown out of school.

I also think that any person who has all their stamps payed through working, and is unfortunate enough to get layed off should also not be charged .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anotherducky

Rumours surrounding this budget are really getting me down...i.e.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1124/1224308056484.html

Can't believe this "sugar tax" on soft drinks looks like a runner. I don't drink a huge amount of Coke/Pepsi etc. but I'm pretty sure it's expensive enough as it is. Why should I, as a non obese person, pay extra for a whiskey/rum/vodka and coke down the pub when it already costs 8-10 quid because some people don't exercise?

I feel like I’m being discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Can't believe this "sugar tax" on soft drinks looks like a runner. I don't drink a huge amount of Coke/Pepsi etc. but I'm pretty sure it's expensive enough as it is. Why should I, as a non obese person, pay extra for a whiskey/rum/vodka and coke down the pub when it already costs 8-10 quid because some people don't exercise?

Now, the part that annoys me is why should we take this from a Minister who himself is obese?

FG are not introducing this tax to curb obesity - they are doing it simply to raise funds to pay off debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Poor you.
    First world problems thread >>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

Will Pepsi Max and the like still get this tax thrown on? No sugar and all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

what a load of c0ck. I train 6 days a week, but I don't have the best diet. F*cking nanny state. I'll fight tooth and nail to prevent this affecting me!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Biggins wrote: »
    You can get the likes of Tescos' and Dunnes own brand bread for 60 to 70 cent.
    In some stores however, they (for obvious reason) sell out fast and your left with the standard priced bread which retails for €1.50 upwards.

Tesco beans and spagetti, 29 cent a can, tesco bread 70 cent. Unfortunatly I cycled 14k with these in my bag on my back and the bread wasnt square anymore. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    ...the bread wasnt square anymore. :(

:D

Hate when that happens. I try my best to avoid that situation but once in a while I still get squashed bread by the time I get home! :(

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

In the past, when they reduced the vat rate the amount of vat they collected actually increased, not decreased.

a year or 2 ago when they increased vat from 21% to 21.5%, they found that tax take DECREASED.

If they put up vat by 2% to 23% I can guarantee they will collect less vat than if they left it at 21%. Plus our shops + businesses will suffer, with knock on effects, like a domino. The only people to gain will be Northern shops + online sellers abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

4 cent increase per litre of fuel - added
    % increase for Car Tax - added
    Carbon Tax Increase - added
    Water tax - added
    Property Tax - added
    VAT icreased by 2% - added

...sigh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Wow.... I don't know what to say about that post.

I had to reread it to be sure, but your major complaint with this is that an alcoholic drink which you are willing to pay €8-10 for will now cost a few cents more? Judging by your post, you don't even know how much your spirits and coke costs you to start with, so I'd imagine you won't even notice the difference.

Have a look at the bigger picture, rather than how this small tax will affect you personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wrecks1971

What sort of changes to the way redundancy is calculated will be changed in the budget ??

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

d-gal wrote: »
    The people giving out about the SW are honestly a joke. We have the highest SW in the EU. There is going to be the very small minority that need it more than others but imagine what the other countries are like!

Some of the sob stories are ridiculous. 'I have applied for 250 jobs this week' - that's bullsh1t. I run my own business and I looked over the amount of CVs I got handed in for 2011 - 14! I have only ever got 1 person willing to do an internship to get some experience

We have one of the highest costs of living in the EU. Do you disagree that our SW is disproportionate to the cost of living?

When my company advertised a single basic post through fás we received 400 CVs in one day and had to take the ad down on day 3 because we were swamped.

I suppose some of you heard U-turn Enda might be addressing the nation before the actual Christmas Late Late Show?

A major turn off! His speech writers are currently working on the excuses and propaganda reason for the broadcast.
    Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/enda-may-use-toy-show-slot-for-speech-to-nation-2947299.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    4 cent increase per litre of fuel - added
    % increase for Car Tax - added
    Carbon Tax Increase - added
    Water tax - added
    Property Tax - added
    VAT icreased by 2% - added

...sigh...

And that is only for this year - we have more budgets like this on the way for the next few years.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

whens it being released?

whatislife wrote: »
    whens it being released?

The budget?
    December 6th. Reading in the Dail at 3pm.

Then the fun begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I thought the Public spending cuts were being announced on Monday 5th December and Taxation changes on Tuesday 6th December?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

chasm wrote: »
    I thought the Public spending cuts were being announced on Monday 5th December and Taxation changes on Tuesday 6th December?

That's in 2012.

TishyO wrote: »
    That's in 2012.

No it was announced for the 2012 Budget, which is this budget.

http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-to-be-announced-over-two-days-289762-Nov2011/

• Advertisement

No it was announced for the 2012 Budget, which is this budget.

http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-to-be-announced-over-two-days-289762-Nov2011/

Ok I read that wrong last week, thought it was for 2012. Sorry

TishyO wrote: »
    Ok I read that wrong last week, thought it was for 2012. Sorry

I had to go check because i'm on strong meds at the moment and thought i may have imagined reading it lol

I had to go check because i'm on strong meds at the moment and thought i may have imagined reading it lol

We might all need some of them last week, god knows what else they are going to throw at us. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

We have one of the highest costs of living in the EU. Do you disagree that our SW is disproportionate to the cost of living?

Yes I do disagree. We have the highest SW in the Europe. Prime example is look at the UK, they get less than half of what people in Ireland get. Imagine living in London on that, one of the most expensive cities in the world!
    Ireland is not that expensive, plenty of countries which are much more expensive in their main cities (Prague, Geneva, Oslo, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna, Helsinki). None of these countries are getting the entitlements compared to us.

Advertisement