Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUDGET 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

What utter shit. Administration is just as important as frontline services.

edit: referring specifically to the civil service here

really? so is that why we have 8000 'administrators' within the HSE with nothing to do, are they being kept there in case there's an administration crisis that their skills will be required???

there was me thinking sections of our public service was hopelessly overstaffed and overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

John Doe1 wrote: »
    • Speaking ill of germans tax

The not capitalising the 'G' in German tax.

Revenue will be on to you.
    Provide your own lube.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What utter shit. Administration is just as important as frontline services.
    I agree 100% SP, when they're actually and efficiently administrating. Too often in the public services in this country this is simply not the case. There is a lot of wastage of time, money and personnel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree 100% SP, when they're actually and efficiently administrating. Too often in the public services in this country this is simply not the case. There is a lot of wastage of time, money and personnel.

The local hospital here all but shut down with a very small number of job losses. Perfect example of inefficiency.

What I find hilarious though is how the Brits complain about how inefficient the NHS is and how so much money is wasted on management yet the NHS costs around the same per person as the HSE and the services provided are much better and more wide-ranging. When I was in Omagh hospital I couldn't believe how overstaffed they seemed to be (with nurses) so it seems that despite the huge waste in the NHS we've brought it to a whole new level.

As far as I'm concerned all the political parties in this country are just the same as the unions. Look at this 50 quid charge, why not just take about 2 quid a week from each dole, incapacity, disabled and pension payment? Result is exactly the same for the people seeking medical treatment, the same saving is made and the government's job would be easier. They don't want that though, there's going to have to be a couple of promotions (and pay rises) to make sure some people are "qualified" to run the new offices to administer this payment.
    It seems everything they're doing is designed to involve and expand the state more and more when similar results could be achieved in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

The people giving out about the SW are honestly a joke. We have the highest SW in the EU. There is going to be the very small minority that need it more than others but imagine what the other countries are like!
    Some of the sob stories are ridiculous. 'I have applied for 250 jobs this week' - that's bullsh1t. I run my own business and I looked over the amount of CVs I got handed in for 2011 - 14! I have only ever got 1 person willing to do an internship to get some experience
    I have a friend who owned a shop in Eyre Square (Galway City) and he got an average of 2 CVs a week, which is nuts if so many people are out of work.

The company that do my web design have recently employed a person that had done an internship with them - majority of other companies were shocked that someone was willing to even do one!

This what sums it all up really. I needed a cleaner for my place to come in every so often. Asked 3 friends to do it that were on SW, they refused. I then asked 6 other businessmen for a recommendation of a cleaner. I got 2 Polish girls, 1 Latvian, 2 Czechs and a Nigerian male! Majority Irish won't do the basic jobs and that is proven in cafes, restaraunts, hostels, shop delis, cleaning and housework

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

People need to be very careful when it comes to water rates, the way it is with businesses is they install water meters and its so much per litre fair enough some may say, but if you use below the minimum charge or no water at all they bump you up to a set minimum charge!

Most people are currently working for no real pay we would be better off as slaves and get a bite to eat now and again and somewhere to have a kip the Government will keep going until they have your last cent from your pay packet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

d-gal wrote: »
    The people giving out about the SW are honestly a joke...

When you lump them all into the same category of stupidity right away, all tarred by you with the same brush, THATS when I start to believe that your talking through your backside and frankly not trust anything else you have to say on the matter after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

bamboozle wrote: »
    really? so is that why we have 8000 'administrators' within the HSE with nothing to do, are they being kept there in case there's an administration crisis that their skills will be required???

there was me thinking sections of our public service was hopelessly overstaffed and overpaid.

No one said anything about the HSE. In fact I explicitly said I wasn't talking about it in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Increase Income Tax - standard rate 22%, higher rate 44%
    Increase third level fees with additional income going back to grants for people who need it
    Tax childrens allowance
    Medical card needs to be looked at - cost is way too excessive and open to abuse by way too many. Increase charge per item to at least €1. Have maximum number of GP visits per person (OAP, chronic illness exempt).
    Stop subsidising teachers in fee-paying schools
    Cut top rate of VAT to 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Biggins wrote: »
    When you lump them all into the same category of stupidity right away, all tarred by you with the same brush, THATS when I start to believe that your talking through your backside and frankly not trust anything else you have to say on the matter after that.

Yet you ignore what I say in the very same paragraph and the rest of the post for that matter and resort to insults :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

cosanostra wrote: »

Most people are currently working for no real pay ......
    .....Government will keep going until they have your last cent from your pay packet

Utter bilge.

The media has everyone thinking that the whole country is on the breadline when in reality the absolutely vast, crushing majority of people are perfectly comfortable and could easily afford any tax increases that come down the line with plenty left over to spare.

Over the past few years we as a nation have become incredibly adept at convincing ourselves that we are experiencing actual hardship because we have to cut down on the stupid levels of spending on dumb **** that we experienced during the boom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

d-gal wrote: »
    Yet you ignore what I say in the very same paragraph and the rest of the post for that matter and resort to insults :rolleyes:

Well you like insulting everyone from the get-go!

Pot calling kettle black! More convenient blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I heard on the radio a rumour that the government are going to introduce an annual fee of €50 for the medical card in the budget.

Personally I think:
    €50 a year fee for the medical card. I actually think that's a fantastic idea. €50 per person between 18 - 65 that get a medical card every year. Pump every last penny back into resources in the HSE on equipment for treating people and frontline staff (feck the consultants and admin staff).
    Its about time they got something right. I sincerely hope this comes to fruition

Even give €25 a year fees for the GP only medical care and get more GP's and a better service too out there. Better facilities for them too so that people don't rely so much on going the hospital for every little annoying detail that they come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

The money will used to pay off debts, not improve services.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Just looking at this thread although I'm sure it's out of date at this stage :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055523363

It says from 2009 that 3 million people are employed in Ireland currently
    356,000 unemployed.

Now my maths is pretty crap so if anyone knows the population figures that are currently in work at this time let us all know.

We owe €173,000,000,000
    We have 3,000,000 people in work

173,000,000,000 divided by 3,000,000 = ( roughly ) = €57,666

So does this mean that every citizen that is currently working owes €57,666 to the government basically, is that right ???

I'd of thought the figure would be higher than this ?

...And remember, this is where its going....

http://www.golemxiv.co.uk/2010/10/who-are-the-bond-holders-we-are-bailing-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Is there any statistics available showing the amount of doctor visits and prescriptions given for people who have medical cards and those who don't?

€50 once a year is not much - one visit to a doctor and it's already paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's more chance of it helping the German health service than the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Old people get fúck all as it is, i think they should leave their cards alone tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Good idea actually, €50 a year is nothing for free healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stoneill wrote: »
    Is there any statistics available showing the amount of doctor visits and prescriptions given for people who have medical cards and those who don't?

€50 once a year is not much - one visit to a doctor and it's already paid for itself.

The people currently on medical cards would probably disagree, a lot of them were bellyaching about the prescription charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Kiera wrote: »
    Old people get fúck all as it is, i think they should leave their cards alone tbh.

you clearly didn't read my OP. Have another go and see what I said.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    The people currently on medical cards would probably disagree, a lot of them were bellyaching about the prescription charge.

€50 and you get all the medical care you want for a year. Yeah what is the world coming to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

€50 fee per card for the year is fair, charge more for prescriptions. People with medical cards have everything to easy.

Um... What? They get, free electricity units, free fuel, free phone, free travel, oh and over €200 p/w!

They get too much!

Big Steve wrote: »
    you clearly didn't read my OP. Have another go and see what I said.

Oh sorry, i'm sick and cant really focus on the screen :o

Um... What? They get, free electricity units, free fuel, free phone, free travel, oh and over €200 p/w!

They get too much!

You have no idea what you're talking about, get back in your box, kiddo!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

They get too much!

They get all this but I would exclude them from the extra charges tbh.

hondasam wrote: »

They dont get all this if they are living with a child who is working for fúck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

€50 fee per card for the year is fair, charge more for prescriptions. People with medical cards have everything to easy.

Maybe the people who exploit the social services in this country do.

But ask anyone who has a medical card because of the Long Term Illness Scheme how easy their life is...

You have no idea what you're talking about, get back in your box, kiddo!:rolleyes:
    Seems to me you are talking through your arse!:rolleyes:
    Why? Because they're old? :confused:

• Advertisement

Seems to me you are talking through your arse!:rolleyes:

Why? Because they're old? :confused:

Are you having a laugh? I know this first hand!

Go back to your Ann and Barry books.

Advertisement