Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUDGET 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Ok, i read it but it looks to me that full contributions gets you €230.30 plus an Increase for a qualified adult (under 66) €153.50 OR Increase for a qualified adult (aged 66 and over) €206.30 - or am i reading that wrong?

I noticed this bit though,
    "You can get an increase in your payment for a qualified adult. Any income your adult dependant has from employment, self-employment, savings, investments and capital (for example, any property except your own home) is taken into account."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For those that say the dole is too high and others oft times whine about loads of others off spending their money on drink and fags galore - maybe those whingers need a reminder of another actual reality too!

From the Irish Independent - if you can't be arsed reading it, don't come back and further whine about drink and fags in one sided blind stupidity!:
    Budget 2012: The real pain of €8 cut in dole and €10 in child benefit revealed online

AS the Cabinet met this morning to discuss possible Budget cuts of €8 to the dole and €10 to child benefit, the real toll of the worsening economic situation for Ireland is exposed in responses to independent.ie.

Ministers are looking in particular at savings of about €700m for the Department of Social Protection, including reducing eligibility for the lone parents allowance.

Readers joined the debate online in unprecedented numbers to reveal the hardships they are already enduring before Budget 2012 is announced in two weeks time.

In sometimes very moving glimpses of life on social welfare, some readers have written of the kind of poverty that means they have to skip meals and cannot afford to heat their homes.

One commentator identified as Marian wrote: “I didn’t have dinner with my child today, I had a few plain crackers. There wasn’t enough for both of us to eat. Didn’t put cheese on them as I had to make sure there would be some for his lunch tomorrow.

“Dinner tomorrow....well I will see what I can rustle up...there's one egg left......potato pancakes and a fried egg for him tomorrow.....me.....I think there are some crackers left!

“Some people say that €8 is a packet of fags....I’ve never smoked. Some say it’s a pint or two....I’ve been out socially twice this year and never drink more than three.

“That €8 is the difference between whether or not I can light the fire for next few days or whether or not I have the money to get the bus into town to go to my next hospital appointment or not.

“I have spent the vast majority of my adult life working....paying taxes.....now, when I need Social Welfare assistance the thought of it being cut is soul destroying.

“I find myself reluctant to apply for jobs knowing that it will be incredibly hard to work for a month ‘til I got paid.....let alone being able to afford to get something to wear to work. But I do apply and hope to find something soon. Not working and having to listen to those who have no idea how hard it is to live is devastating.

“Roll on Wednesday when i get my next Social Welfare....I have a weekly meal planner done out.

“Fingers crossed nothing unexpected pops up........better get some 39c packet of crackers just in case!!!”

P12345 wrote: “I am also on disability benefit. I am constantly going without food for at least one day a week with these cuts.”

John wrote: “If you earn a good wage and you lose €100 a week in tax it’s not the end of the world, but when you’re on benefits and lose €8 a week it seems like it.

“There are very few people that would chose to live on benefits if they had a choice. The people that earn big money still have to pay more until the rest of us get back on our feet and we will do our bit then.

“But don’t kick a man when he’s down, give him a hand as it might be you next.”

Sgt Pepper added: “Previous cuts in social welfare for people on disability and carer's allowance, education fees make college no longer an option for many low income families. Medical card for dentists reduced to covering just 2 fillings and extractions only. It costs €120 for a filling at my dentist. That's two thirds the weekly rate of someone receiving €188 a week.”

Jackanto101 wrote: “I worked for years in slave labour jobs where many men left after two or three days. I paid my taxes like everybody else. A heart attack later and I'm on disability.

“Do you think the €188 per week compares to over €600 per week after tax. Try to pay for food, ESB, phone, tax and insurance, maintenance and NCT, petrol, clothes, heating. Now to top it all off I have to pay a tax for owning my home, a charge for having a septic tank and also water charges. How far would you get on €188 per week?

Pauly added: “What kind of living standards will there be for the poor in a few years time ? Is it going to be okay to go around on a donkey and cart, live on boiled potatoes and see kids with no shoes on their feet ?”

“I do not have a medical card (and thankfully am in good health), do not screw the system for money that I am not entitled to, am desperately searching for work or a Jobs Bridge internship, do not intend on leaving the country as I believe that somebody needs to stay to drag us out of this mess, and never got in any trouble in my life,” wrote V88.

“Yet here I am trying to live on less than €100 a week after rent, with bills to pay and no other source of income than the pittance that the Department of Finance deem to be enough to keep chiseling away at and still be enough to live on.”

Michael said: “Myself and my fiance have two kids together. We've had our heating turned off because of inflation. I paid over €1,200 January last, didn’t use it all summer and they sent us a bill of €1,400. We’re were on social welfare at the moment. I’ve worked since I was 16 in construction for wages less than the dole...”

Shanemdonnelly added: “I hate this country. Irish people will complain, but accept the cuts. There will be less jobs in 2012. I’m trying so hard to find a job but can't. This month I applied to 250 places.”

Mumof2 wrote: “Both me and my partner have lost our jobs in the last year. Neither of us has been able to find employment since, having two young children to support. We already find it extremely difficult to cope and often rely on child benefit to help with paying one thing or another. We have had to move home and give up many of the luxuries in life and now we are expected to survive on less again and to pay more for products.”

Mary wrote: “I am currently on illness benefit due to a cancer diagnosis six months ago. I was made redundant last year, so the illness benefit is my sole income at the moment until such time as I can return to the work force.

“I have worked all my life here in Ireland and paid my taxes. I have never been in receipt of unemployment assistance as I always managed to stay in work over two decades. I am not in receipt of a pension yet as I have 10 years to go (maybe that too will be abolished!).

“I have huge ongoing medical and diet related costs due to my illness which I pay for out of my own pocket, any savings I had are now depleted.

“I expect all benefits to be cut in the next Budget including mine. I never thought I would be in this position that I find myself in now , ie redundant, ill and at the mercy of the State.”

Paul Kennedy wrote: “I am attending a car boot sale this weekend at which I will sell the remains my cd and book collection. I sold about half of them last year to buy some Christmas presents for my children and have something for Christmas dinner that's not from the Tesco value range.

“ I won't have this option next year, however I have been looking at the dietary habits of the dog. This non productive member of my household uses between €4 and €5 worth of food a week.

“As a disabled person with limited mobility I cannot use him for walks so his food will replace the Christmas "bonus" lost a few years ago. I have nothing left to sell and anyway with the higher VAT on the "luxury" of Lidl dog food I'll save even more.

“I may also save a bit more by making a coat out of a duvet and not lighting a fire, Carrots are cheap and I could improve my eyesight and live without the luxury of lights. Good lord Rover you might get a reprieve if only I can get this cold fusion sorted and wave goodbye to the coal man and the ESB.”

Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/budget-2012-the-real-pain-of-euro8-cut-in-dole-and-euro10-in-child-benefit-revealed-online-2941229.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    For those that say the dole is too high and others oft times whine about loads of others off spending their money on drink and fags galore - maybe those whingers need a reminder of another actual reality too!

Some anonymous twittering on the internet isn't going to change my view that the state (by rule) provides more than enough to anyone to feed themselves and heat their homes. In cases of illness, addiction or mental health issues there are exceptions but where people are getting what they're entitled to if they can't afford enough food or to pay the bills it is purely by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Looks like James Reily wants to charge 50 quid for medical cards a year and wants to have the prescription drugs charge increased to 2 quid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Biggins that's all very well and some good points raised, but we have the highest social welfare rates in the EU, how do those on social welfare in other jurisdictions fare on lesser rates? When I see urban people complaining they can't run a car on the dole I think WTF? Sorry Ted you're on shanks pony or the bus for the moment.

In any event my biggest issue with social welfare is the gross inefficiency and huge wastage involved. Sort that(when PIIGS fly) and there would be more money in the kitty for everyone. I do agree with the posters in your quote about the extra charges that are coming down the pike with this budget and following budgets. House and water charges and the rest are going to screw many working people who are currently on a knife edge, never mind those not working. Again tighten up the whole process and there is real money to be saved. But I have pretty much zero confidence that this will happen in this country. Interesting times ahead for all of us.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Some anonymous twittering on the internet isn't going to change my view that the state (by rule) provides more than enough to anyone to feed themselves and heat their homes. In cases of illness, addiction or mental health issues there are exceptions but where people are getting what they're entitled to if they can't afford enough food or to pay the bills it is purely by choice.

Your entitled to have a view as we all are. However I get people coming up to me in the street and contacting me on a regular basis that are FAR from the image of "sure they are all in the pubs, spending loads on drink and fags" on a regular basis.
    I know of a number of families that are REALLY pushing the line of poverty and others that are actually broke - stone broke.

It pisses me off that the usual "drink/fag/etc" mentality type moaners only see what they want to see.
    If they actually got their arse out there in social work and seen reality, they would be quick to shut the fcuk up!

There is indeed fools and ejits on the dole complaining about stupid things - just as there is fools and ejits complaining about their jobs when they should be appreciating that they actually have one.
    However - just because we hear of such complaints in either case - don't mean at least equally and oft times more, that there might be other sides/events/genuine struggles to those things we only hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Some anonymous twittering on the internet isn't going to change my view that the state (by rule) provides more than enough to anyone to feed themselves and heat their homes. In cases of illness, addiction or mental health issues there are exceptions but where people are getting what they're entitled to if they can't afford enough food or to pay the bills it is purely by choice.[/QUOTE]

How is it by choice? Do you actually think people enjoy being hungry or cold?

I can't believe the way people turn on each other when in fact we should be fcukin outraged at the way the sick, families and elderly are going to be treated. But hey if it's not effecting you why would you give a crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fair enough Biggins, but answer me this, how come family A or person A can get by/feed themselves and their families and Family B or Person B can't?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I can't believe the way people turn on each other when in fact we should be fcukin outraged at the way the sick, families and elderly are going to be treated. But hey if it's not effecting you why would you give a crap.
    Oh I agree 100% HB. Too many do come out with that guff. Either out of being smug or oft times from fear of finding themselves in that situation. Or just pure ignorance of what it's like to be in that situation. We need to be looking our for each other not fighting for the last lifeboats on the sinking ship(which is what it sometimes feels like to me).
    God no, they don't. However I think as a matter of course we should teach more about personal finance in schools from an early age. So many people are very bad at budgeting over the years and then if they do hit a bump in their employment history they're in real trouble. I can pretty much guarantee there are people reading this thread in full employment and good money that would be utterly fcuked if they lost that job.

Your entitled to have a view as we all are. However I get people coming up to me in the street and contacting me on a regular basis that are FAR from the image of "sure they are all in the pubs, spending loads on drink and fags" on a regular basis.
    I know of a number of families that are REALLY pushing the line of poverty and others that are actually broke - stone broke.

It pisses me off that the usual "drink/fag/etc" mentality type moaners only see what they want to see.
    If they actually got their arse out there in social work and seen reality, they would be quick to shut the fcuk up!

There is indeed fools and ejits on the dole complaining about stupid things - just as there is fools and ejits complaining about their jobs when they should be appreciating that they actually have one.
    However - just because we hear of such complaints in either case - don't mean at least equally and oft times more, that there might be other sides/events/genuine struggles to those things we only hear about.
    My family gets by with the dole. My parents have a mortgage to pay so don't get rent allowance so are doubly hit in that regard, how do they manage? If someone is renting and can't get by on social welfare they need to look at their lifestyle. If they have an unaffordable mortgage they need to assess that situation. I know I'd feed and clothe kids and heat the house before paying a mortgage that left me unable to do so.

The classic go-to line in this situation is pensioners. Unless they're throwing their money down a black hole there's no need for any of them to be short of money for food and heating.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Fair enough Biggins, but answer me this, how come family A or person A can get by/feed themselves and their families and Family B or Person B can't?
    I'd also like to know this. Other than mortgages (and I'm sure you agree, that's not what social welfare is for) it's purely down to lifestyle choices (and I don't just mean smoking/drinking) or just not being able to accept the idea of just getting by.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree 100% HB. Too many do come out with that guff. Either out of being smug or oft times from fear of finding themselves in that situation. Or just pure ignorance of what it's like to be in that situation. We need to be looking our for each other not fighting for the last lifeboats on the sinking ship(which is what it sometimes feels like to me).
    Once the Croke Park Agreement is honoured we'll be alright eh? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just look at all the waste created by politicians over the past decade. I'm not talking about the banks but the likes of electronic voting and then the storage of these machines. That cost us a couple hundred million. The money wasted on those tribunals, report after report with no follow on legislation.

The quality of politicians and high ranking civil servants has cost this country billions. And now the people closest to the edge are being pushed over. We have to accept in our current situation that money has got to be saved somewhere. What we don't have to accept is the direction it's coming from. The government needs to tackle the public sector wage bill and pensions bill along with any reductions in social welfare so that it is fair and balanced.

My family gets by with the dole. My parents have a mortgage to pay so don't get rent allowance so are doubly hit in that regard, how do they manage? If someone is renting and can't get by on social welfare they need to look at their lifestyle. If they have an unaffordable mortgage they need to assess that situation. I know I'd feed and clothe kids and heat the house before paying a mortgage that left me unable to do so.
    This.

I'd also like to know this. Other than mortgages (and I'm sure you agree, that's not what social welfare is for) it's purely down to lifestyle choices (and I don't just mean smoking/drinking) or just not being able to accept the idea of just getting by.
    Plus one. However what we may be missing here is not just current lifestyle choices, but past ones. Your folks it seems have lived within their means and budgeted accordingly, so when they ended up needing SW they had some leeway. Too many didn't live within their means in the past and that past is now coming back to haunt them. I can see no other explanation for say a young lone mother not being able to house and clothe and feed her and her child on the benefits packages currently available. Plenty out there do. So I do think it's down to lifestyle choices, either past or current. Problem is if it's past choices it's a much bigger hole you would find yourself in.

Two houses beside each other. Family A and Family B.
    (The following is JUST a quick example)

* Family A MIGHT consist of people that are living in a council home that the 'rent' alone adjusts according to the current price of the home, the number of children they have, the incoming money they get from the dole, etc.
    None might be working. They are all in good health hopefully.
    They need daily food, heat, clothing, shoes, some have to be at school (school bills?), and more...

*Family B MIGHT consist of same numbers of adults/kids as 'Family A' but they are living in a private home, purchased when they were in a then secure job.
    The house itself being an average house on an estate but one that has a mortgage - one that does NOT adjust with incoming income from dole but instead goes ever increasingly higher with rate hikes alone. The banks don't do charity and reduce their wanted payments just because one has less incoming in money. They WANT their money!!!
    They might have one disabled child that is not fully covered by a medical card due to a previous parent working above a certain monetary rate. They thus have to pay often for tablets/treatments/etc.
    They have a car which was used for work travel and basic around town travel.

In each of the familys, both are open to be hit with homes taxes, water charges, dole cuts, child allowance cuts, home help (for the sick) cuts, vat rises, ever increasing heating charges getting higher, state pension cuts, 'Green' taxes, higher road tax, disability cuts, higher insurance rates, illness benefit cuts, and more to say the least. Even then charges like €160 for a TV licence(tax?) coming through the door, does not help as well as other more new taxes/charges/levy's that are incoming now...

Given that even a loaf of bread can cost on average €1.50 to feed a family of four/five daily - with an adult just bringing home €180 a week and the above to take into account with mortgages at €900+ a month to be paid, its very possible - and I see and hear about it daily - that many are sinking under in bills, etc.

...And thats reality.

Those that say or try to make out "sure those on the dole have it all easy - drink, fags etc..." need to kop themselves on and wake up.
    Every time I hear someone spouting this too far tainting nonsense, I think to myself "there goes another blinkered fool".

A further example added after the previous article - and if anyone thinks the below is one their own or a once off, they are lying to themselves or just plain stupid.
    I lost my job last year and my wife lost hers early this year. We've always worked and are in no way extravagant, neither of us smokes and the last time either went for a drink was Stephens day last year. Both of us have applied for so many jobs at this stage but have had no luck, we would do any work at all, don’t get me wrong, I'd work for less than the minimum wage if I could get a job working full hours (or more). There is nothing that I haven’t applied for.

Reading through the posts here there are so many similar stories. In August we had to get rid of our beloved dog Misty, we had her for 7 years but could no longer afford to feed and care for a golden retriever. We sold my car in March, and now share my wife’s 99 1 liter car. Due to the cost of the TV cable subscription we decided to do without that luxury earlier in the year, and when the TV license came up for renewal we sold the TV in order to save money. We watch a little TV on the computer using the internet connection on my phone, and have gotten rid of my wife’s mobile and our landline and fixed broadband connection.

We bought a normal three bed house in West Dublin in 2006 for 395,000. Our mortgage repayments were nearly 1400 a month but we renegotiated down to 1000 with the bank, but the cost of this in terms of extra interest and years on the loan are huge. A neighbors’ house was sold last month for 178,000, even though it was advertised for much more. We have never missed a payment or not paid any bill but at this stage have no savings left at all. We have nothing to sell. The only source of income we have is the childrens allowance and our dole.

We have three kids, and believe me they have very few luxuries. I'm reading all the comments on the internet and wondering what we'll do next. We have no options.

Every day I read about people in the public sector retiring on pensions that are 3 and 4 times what we would have considered a good wage in the boom time.

Every day I read about people saying that there are jobs there if you look, if you try hard enough, if you sell yourself, but the reality is that we have no options.

So many people are saying that you can cut back, buy we've nothing left to cut, nothing left to give....

Christmas isn’t something were worried about, putting food on the table for the coming weeks is our real problem.

All of the politicians promised so much before the election, many of them are indifferent to those promises now, how can they say one thing, put it in writing, preach for months about what they will do and then when they get voted in be so indifferent to the reality of the people who they are supposed to represent? I read all about agreements named after sporting stadiums and how many with good jobs and prospects won’t be asked to take a hit, what I wouldn’t give to have half what they have, just so that my family, my children, my wife might have a normal life

Even if there’s no change to any of the handouts we receive I can’t see any way that we can survive as a family. Even if we continue to be as frugal as we can I can’t see how we can continue to make ends meet. Even though we have nothing left to give, no sacrifices left to make the people who run our country want our family to give more.

We don’t know what to do, there’s nowhere left to turn, there’s no way out.

No doubt this posting will attract all kinds of replies, no doubt many will be little our plight, no doubt many people won’t believe that this is the way we live.

Well it’s true, this is out life.

I’m not writing this to gain sympathy, I’m not looking to have anything handed to my family and I’m not blaming anyone for anything.

I just want to be heard, to be listened to, not because of any hard feeling, any sense of entitlement but because we’re just what was once a normal family, and now are nothing…have nothing.

Most people probably won’t even take the time to read this…..Most of our elected representatives won’t read this…..most of those who made promises won’t keep them……most of those who could make a difference won’t try.

This is our life.

So please, the next time you see gobschites spouting their "dolies all/most on drinks/fags/having it easier" nonsense - tell them to kop-themselves on!

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Just look at all the waste created by politicians over the past decade. I'm not talking about the banks but the likes of electronic voting and then the storage of these machines. That cost us a couple hundred million. The money wasted on those tribunals, report after report with no follow on legislation.

The quality of politicians and high ranking civil servants has cost this country billions. And now the people closest to the edge are being pushed over. We have to accept in our current situation that money has got to be saved somewhere. What we don't have to accept is the direction it's coming from. The government needs to tackle the public sector wage bill and pensions bill along with any reductions in social welfare so that it is fair and balanced.

Never even mind fair and balanced. In pure numerical terms the PS bill has to come down unless 60% income taxes are introduced, increasing by a few percent a year as everyone leaves. It seems highly illogical to me to mortgage young peoples' futures to pay for one of the most highly paid publics sectors in the world while spending little to nothing on infrastructure and getting them to pay for their own third level education. I happen to be in favour of college fees but it's a total breakdown in logic to cut capital spending and education spending while maintaining current spending on which there is no return.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention about the care homes closing. It's a little like the schools, all anyone cares about is the kids (obviously) but when faced with a choice between a few percent reduction in pay or an increase in class sizes, guess which wins out. Sickening.

Added further example in previous post - but some either (on the street who spout illogical ill-informed rubbish) don't want to hear it or are simply out of touch with reality.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/county-manager-stands-down-with-euro335000-pension-windfall-2933671.html

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/30-former-ministers-get-pension-over-100k-173451.html

This is the crap that needs to stop.

But but I hear they are entitled to it, well I was entitled to a raise every year according to my contract but instead I got 2 other people's jobs and less money.

Fcuk contracts, start at the top and work our way down with the civil service - if someone isn't willing to work at say €100,000 they can fcuk right off, there's 400,000+ unemployed, one of them should be able to do the job.

Leave the nurses, teachers, firemen and gardai till last. I bet we won't even have to touch them if we take away these disgraceful benefits.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/county-manager-stands-down-with-euro335000-pension-windfall-2933671.html

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/30-former-ministers-get-pension-over-100k-173451.html

This is the crap that needs to stop.

But but I hear they are entitled to it, well I was entitled to a raise every year according to my contract but instead I got 2 other people's jobs and less money.

Fcuk contracts, start at the top and work our way down with the civil service - if someone isn't willing to work at say €100,000 they can fcuk right off, there's 400,000+ unemployed, one of them should be able to do the job.

Leave the nurses, teachers, firemen and gardai till last. I bet we won't even have to touch them if we take away these disgraceful benefits.

Rant over

+1, simple logic, will our govt have the balls to make these hard decisions..i doubt it

Added further example in previous post - but some either (on the street who spout illogical ill-informed rubbish) don't want to hear it or are simply out of touch with reality.

Mortgage, I dealt with it.

Mortgage, I dealt with it.

Your lucky. Many are not so fortunate.

• Advertisement

Your lucky. Many are not so fortunate.

I'm 23, I meant I dealt with it in another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Thats a fcuking disgrace. The politicians go on about how everyone has to share the pain. What a joke.

Anyone know if they pay tax on those pensions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

+1 to this!

There is a sickening perception about that if one is struggling they brought it on themselves by taking out loans that he/she/they couldn't afford when the reality is far from the that. I lived within my means and have no loans or debts so I am coming from a good position or so it appears. My wage was dropped and can no longer afford rent and have been going through a dose of poverty and in the middle of moving home. Where things aren't too good there either but all lived within their means too.

Not sure about the tax, I'd imagine they do pay some sort of tax but I'm no expert in pensions so I can't confirm.

Anyone else want to be pissed off go to http://www.finance.gov.ie/ and into the circulars section and have a little read.

Enough to make baby jesus cry.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Given that even a loaf of bread can cost on average €1.50 to feed a family of four/five daily - with an adult just bringing home €180 a week ..

€1.50 for a loaf of bread:eek:
    I'm on a disability payment and moan about paying 75c! I used to go shopping with a friend of mine and she would spend the whole trip around the supermarket giving out about the price of stuff and how was she expected to survive on her SW, all the while putting denny sausages, barrys tea and brennan's bread etc in her trolley and looking down at me with my trolley laden with own brand or budget label stuff.(i admit i do buy some branded stuff, but not a trolley load because i would get very little for my money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Galtee wrote: »
    I for one will not be paying a property tax. I've already paid a large amount of stamp duty on my home so they can sing for their property tax.

They will sing you the riot act.

chasm wrote: »
    €1.50 for a loaf of bread:eek:
    I'm on a disability payment and moan about paying 75c! I used to go shopping with a friend of mine and she would spend the whole trip around the supermarket giving out about the price of stuff and how was she expected to survive on her SW, all the while putting denny sausages, barrys tea and brennan's bread etc in her trolley and looking down at me with my trolley laden with own brand or budget label stuff.(i admit i do buy some branded stuff, but not a trolley load because i would get very little for my money)

You can get the likes of Tescos' and Dunnes own brand bread for 60 to 70 cent.
    In some stores however, they (for obvious reason) sell out fast and your left with the standard priced bread which retails for €1.50 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thrill wrote: »
    Anyone know if they pay tax on those pensions?

All pension income is treated like any other income and taxed in the usual way.

Note that State Pensions, aka old-age pensions, are also taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Rant over

What utter shit. Administration is just as important as frontline services.

edit: referring specifically to the civil service here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

• Air Tax
    • Original thought tax
    • Speaking ill of germans tax
    • Protest tax
    • The country is fcucked, give us your money tax

Advertisement