Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That's shag all to do with having more rights than men and more to do with club policy to attract more punters.

Ok maybe the joke didnt go down to well :)

Good idea. Let's produce legislation that says no woman should be employed until they produce a menopause certificate.

took the words right out of my mouth :D

Madam_X wrote: »
    Irish should never be removed from the school curriculum (simply because a bunch of smug, narrowminded types want this) IMO, but shouldn't be mandatory either.

Hit what nerve? Kinda looks like you're saying "Look at me everyone, I'm a woman and I'm disagreeing with modern feminism today!" Sorry to disappoint you but loads of women dont agree with it. I disagree with a lot of it (but not all of it - bizarre to view it all as problematic, and particularly self loathing from women). And yeh I see where employers are coming from re married/co-habiting women between their late 20s and early 40s... but "childbearing years"? As in... 18 to early 40s? That's a hell of a broad demographic to understand avoiding employment of. It's a group that includes you also, so hopefully your employers won't think the same way you do. Or maybe it's ok once it only happens to other women.

Asks "what nerve?" and then goes off on one. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Sparkling stuff - a "lol" n' all.

Somebody realises their childbearing years comment was ****ing dumb methinks.

Self loathing women are amusing...

Sparkling stuff - a "lol" n' all.

Somebody realises their childbearing years comment was ****ing dumb methinks.

Self loathing women are amusing...

An lol? really? you're annoyed over an lol?? No wonder my post p1ssed you off l.o.l :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Agree with the overfeminism. Equal rights for ALL, men, women, different race, different sexuality, etc. That should go without saying, but you see some of the shíte some "feminazi's" as they are referred to by many go on with. Saying all men are X,Y and Z because the men of time gone by were á*holes. This just in, some men will always be a*holes, same with women. The past is over, the men of today can only learn from the mistakes of times gone.

Some mothers are terrible mothers and in many cases children would be better off with their father or another relative. Giving birth does not give you a legal right to own your child. Congrats, you pushed out a child, you completed the most basic biological process after breathing, eating and ridding the body of waste!

I can't stand women who take the píss with maternity leave and parental leave. I agree both should exist, but there are some who really take the píss out of it. I know a woman she takes paid parental leave every summer, so her company have to pay her and pay someone else to do her job, the likes of her are the reason companies are terrified to hire child bearing aged women.

And men should get flexi-hours and parental leave too. What's good enough for the goose and all that.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Agree with the overfeminism. Equal rights for ALL, men, women, different race, different sexuality, etc. That should go without saying, but you see some of the shíte some "feminazi's" as they are referred to by many go on with. Saying all men are X,Y and Z because the men of time gone by were á*holes. This just in, some men will always be a*holes, same with women. The past is over, the men of today can only learn from the mistakes of times gone.

Some mothers are terrible mothers and in many cases children would be better off with their father or another relative. Giving birth does not give you a legal right to own your child. Congrats, you pushed out a child, you completed the most basic biological process after breathing, eating and ridding the body of waste!

I can't stand women who take the píss with maternity leave and parental leave. I agree both should exist, but there are some who really take the píss out of it. I know a woman she takes paid parental leave every summer, so her company have to pay her and pay someone else to do her job, the likes of her are the reason companies are terrified to hire child bearing aged women.

And men should get flexi-hours and parental leave too. What's good enough for the goose and all that.

Agree, always thought it was sh1t that men only get a couple of days or something?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Agree, always thought it was sh1t that men only get a couple of days or something?

They get around two hospital visits (usually the scan), one or two of the ante-natal classes and the birth. Everything else is at the discretion of the employer. It's as much his child as hers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Men can take parental leave too. Few choose to.

Of course men should get paternity leave and flexi-time and far better parental rights. Nothing controversial there. Love the way the lack of these gets blamed on feminism. As if feminists want women to be doing all the childminding. A lot of the perks women enjoy due to their gender actually have their roots in traditional notions of women being the weaker, more vulnerable sex, and more in need of protection. Chivalrous kinda stuff - yet if women blast that, they're also deemed militant feminists. Can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Paid parental leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nowhere near as much paid time as women get though, think its two weeks in our place must check

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    ahahahahaaaaaa :D Seriously??

We should subject all our children to 14 pointless years of Irish because a few Irish Language nazis think one or two might enjoy it?? :D:D

No, I said "optional". Ideally at the onset of secondary school.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

krudler wrote: »
    Nowhere near as much paid time as women get though, think its two weeks in our place must check

Parental leave is unpaid for both men and women (18 weeks from March of this year, I think). Maternity leave and benefit is a different thing altogether. Men aren't entitled to any paternity leave iirc.

She knew exactly what you said - just pretended not to, in order to be sneering for no reason.

Never explain yourself to someone who resorts to trolling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Good idea. Let's produce legislation that says no woman should be employed until they produce a menopause certificate.

Would it take 6 doctors to certify that? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Galway K9 wrote: »
    cheaper car insurance, default custody of children without court, more parental rights unless men fight it in court 5 times harder.

you know the whole practice of placing kids with the mother by default predates feminism? it's actually got nothing to do with feminist influence and everything to do with archiac gender roles, a throwback to a more patriarchal society that said a woman's role was rearing children and a man's role was out being the breadwinner. throw in catholic influence in this country, or constitution, ridiculous divorce laws, and you have the situation we currently have with father's rights to their children.

my unpopular opinion?

you guys need to stop blaming feminist bogey-women

Links234 wrote: »
    you know the whole practice of placing kids with the mother by default predates feminism? it's actually got nothing to do with feminist influence and everything to do with archiac gender roles, a throwback to a more patriarchal society that said a woman's role was rearing children and a man's role was out being the breadwinner. throw in catholic influence in this country, or constitution, ridiculous divorce laws, and you have the situation we currently have with father's rights to their children.

my unpopular opinion?

So... can we then use this excsue to say that it's acceptable to say that a woman's place should be in the kitchen and not the boardroom? I mean, it's got everything to do with all the factors you list above and nothing to do with the bogey-man...

So... can we then use this excsue to say that it's acceptable to say that a woman's place should be in the kitchen and not the boardroom? I mean, it's got everything to do with all the factors you list above and nothing to do with the bogey-man...
    I'm not sure I understand your question?

yes it's the same archiac gender role bollocks that says a woman's place is in the kitchen that says a man can't possibly look after children, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think child rearing can be separated from house work. To highlight how important the role of the woman was in ancient societies you can look to the spartans. If a woman died giving birth she was given the same honors as a man that died on the battlefield. Both died in service to their state, both roles were vital to the community. While in older culture women had a role it was a vital role that was appreciated.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I understand your question?

yes it's the same archiac gender role bollocks that says a woman's place is in the kitchen that says a man can't possibly look after children, etc.

Fair enough, it came acoss as you actually agreeing with the superiority role, which I may have misunderstood. Apologies :o

Fair enough, it came acoss as you actually agreeing with the superiority role, which I may have misunderstood. Apologies :o
    oh, no. absolutely not.

Yeah I suppose you couldnt fault that. Sorry didnt realise you meant optional. At least that way it would be more quality learning, smaller groups, everyone wants to actually be there etc.

and the rest woudl be spare 14 years of learning just like...the ends of words :)

They are often overlooked in favour of women though, and seldom get as long off. It is not as acceptable for them to do so.
    Of course men should get paternity leave and flexi-time and far better parental rights. Nothing controversial there. Love the way the lack of these gets blamed on feminism. As if feminists want women to be doing all the childminding. A lot of the perks women enjoy due to their gender actually have their roots in traditional notions of women being the weaker, more vulnerable sex, and more in need of protection. Chivalrous kinda stuff - yet if women blast that, they're also deemed militant feminists. Can't win.

I would not blame feminism in any way for that, that is an issue with employment law more than anything.

They are often overlooked in favour of women though, and seldom get as long off. It is not as acceptable for them to do so.

Men choose not to in the main but they are entitled to the same unpaid parental leave as women. That is the law. It's nothing to do with being overlooked in favour of women.
    Both parents have an equal separate entitlement to parental leave.

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I would not blame feminism in any way for that, that is an issue with employment law more than anything.

I would blame certain forms of feminism for spreading the idea that men have no need to campaign for rights as they already have everything they need. Yes this is probably limited to radical feminism but its still a problem. For instance the impression among men i talk to is they are afraid to start such a campaign for fear of being laughed at and/or the possibility of very vocal and violent feminist opposition, which has been the case in america where mens rights meetings are regularly picketed by radical feminists

VinLieger wrote: »
    I would blame certain forms of feminism for spreading the idea that men have no need to campaign for rights as they already have everything they need. Yes this is probably limited to radical feminism but its still a problem. For instance the impression among men i talk to is they are afraid to start such a campaign for fear of being laughed at and/or the possibility of very vocal and violent feminist opposition, which has been the case in america where mens rights meetings are regularly picketed by radical feminists

I find the father's rights campaigns are often belittled by media and women. I remember liking the page for it on FB and several people PM'd me saying as a woman and a mother I shouldn't like those pages as it takes rights from a mother and father's are X, Y and Z!!! But as you stated, these are the extremists and would not be the general consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

my unpopular opinion?

You dont see many women saying that the law needs to be changed though, as for many of them its suits not to.

which has been the case in america where mens rights meetings are regularly picketed by radical feminists

another unpopular opinion, the men's rights movement ain't all tits and rainbows, a lot of the more outspoken men's rights advocates are just as awful as the radical feminists they decry. there's extremists on both sides.

ever see the kind of **** Paul Elam advocates? in his own words: “Should I be called to sit on a jury for a rape trial, I vow publicly to vote not guilty, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the charges are true.”

I think father's rights is a serious issue, but you know what? if someone like that came to speak here in Ireland, I'd protest them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

As posted above more rights as an unmarried parent, feminists groups are currently campaigning for lighter sentencing for women, then add in all this quota stuff for politicians and boardrooms.
    Having quotas is a joke. Some profession attract a higher percentage of either sex. Will they be campaigning to have a quota for women on building sites? It's ridiculous and if I was going for a job in a boardroom, I would find it demeaning to learn that I only got the job because I have a vagina and not because I am the best person for it.
    But sure you couldn't trust menopausal women either. They'd be too weepy from their raging hormones and hot flushes to get the job done :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement