Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Dont't think it qualifies as an opinion when it's factually incorrect...

If I use more calories than I take in I cannot put on weight.

Obesity is not a disease, dinosaurs are "big boned" and people retain chips, not water.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gutteruu wrote: »
    If I use more calories than I take in I cannot put on weight.

Obesity is not a disease, dinosaurs are "big boned" and people retain chips, not water.

It has been scietifically proven that different bodies metabolises calories at different rates and, unless you can know of a cure that no one else does, thyroids can slow down over time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My unpopular opinion is that breeding of pedigree dogs and buying said animals is in fact a form of cruelty. Breeding abnormalities into any animal that affects their quality of life is wrong.

Judge Judy is frickin' HOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

It has been scietifically proven that different bodies metabolises calories at different rates and, unless you can know of a cure that no one else does, thyroids can slow down over time.

This is just another terrible excuse people use. There will always be another excuse as to why "I'm different", "different metabolisms" etc etc. Get up go for a walk, swim , join a team , cycle, and stop eating rubbish food. If you are actually trying to really use this excuse then simply eat less because you know your body metabolises calories slower etc etc. Take some personal responsibility and stop blaming genes and everything else .

• Advertisement

power101 wrote: »
    This is just another terrible excuse people use. There will always be another excuse as to why "I'm different", "different metabolisms" etc etc. Get up go for a walk, swim , join a team , cycle, and stop eating rubbish food. If you are actually trying to really use this excuse then simply eat less because you know your body metabolises calories slower etc etc. Take some personal responsibility and stop blaming genes and everything else .

I'd agree that this excuse is used, definitely, but are you (or the poster who brought up the issue - because he certainly seemed to be) telling me that you seriously don't beleive that different bodies metabolise energy at different rates and that there is no such thing as genetic evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Anyone that says they're big boned or it runs in the family about being fat.

Very simply its because you eat poorly and don't exercise. If you exercise and eat well you will loose all of the weight. There is no need for weight loss books, diet pills, diets etc. Just exercise a few days a week and stop eating too much food and fizzy drinks and you will loose any excess weight very quickly.

You think this is an unpopular viewpoint around here?

Have you *been* into this forum before?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

I'd agree that this excuse is used, definitely, but are you (or the poster who brought up the issue - because he certainly seemed to be) telling me that you seriously don't beleive that different bodies metabolise energy at different rates and that there is no such thing as genetic evidence?

Absolutely not. I completely agree that people metabolise energy at different rates. Sure Tommy Bowe eats over 5000 calories a day. Thats to keep his current weight. Its double and average mans recommended intake. My point is that it doesn't matter. Eat whatever maintains your body. Exercise and eat healthy.

So someone says they have a blah blah blah metabolism. Change your intake then. Stop using it as a stupid excuse.

There is no need for weight loss books, diet pills, diets etc. Just exercise a few days a week and stop eating too much food and fizzy drinks and you will loose any excess weight very quickly.
    So you don't want people to diet, but you want them to stop eating too much food and fizzy drinks in order to lose excess weight...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Do overweight people often say in reality that they're big-boned though? I'd wager the majority know it's because they have been eating too much calories and doing too little exercise. Everyone knows it's mostly too many calories in, too few calories out - nothing new there, even if there is a minority of cases where it's due to medical reasons. People might make excuses, but they know the reality and telling them isn't revealing anything surprising to them. It's always said here to a jizz-fest of thanks, as if the person is saying something really new and groundbreaking.
    Gott wrote: »
    I feel that (this probably would have been more valid back when Ireland had money) anyone who is offered a part-time job to take them off the dole and they refuse it without having a valid and confirmed reason (i.e. they just don't feel like doing menial labour) should have their dole cut off imeediately.
    But what if the part-time job pays less than the dole, and the dole is barely keeping them ticked over? Makes more sense IMO to keep looking for a full-time job that pays at least as much as the dole.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that breeding of pedigree dogs and buying said animals is in fact a form of cruelty. Breeding abnormalities into any animal that affects their quality of life is wrong.
    Not sure that's unpopular though. Commonsense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Madam_X wrote: »
    Do overweight people often say in reality that they're big-boned though?

Exactly!!! I think a lot of people think because Eric Cartman says it, everyone does. :confused:

How many people have *actually* heard an overweight person say this? Or that their weight is genetic. Seriously? Admittedly, "slow metabolism" would probably be bandied about a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Saying that a lanaguge is "utterly pointless" because of a lack of speakers is being a philistine. Would you say the same about Latin?

Or would you say that all art is pointless because it has no practical value?[/

Huh? Are you trying to say being obscure makes something Art? Not sure I agree with that. Tell you what though I do agree we should treat it like an artefact and place it in an obscure corner of a history museum where it belongs and not wasting endless hours teaching it to our kids.

Latin on the other hand is very useful being the very stem of many European languages and for medical terminology. Irish is pointless because it serves no purpose as a form of communication when there is almost no one who speaks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Trapatoni is doing a more in depth job than we think, his tactics although followed by some strange substitutions are generally spot on ;) ... the golden age of Irish soccer is when we can almost qualify for tournaments ... we could be like Scotland and Wales already out after 6 games. just sayin'

Smokers : should be 100 yards from anyone not smoking at all times. Most ignorant people on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Exactly!!! I think a lot of people think because Eric Cartman says it, everyone does. :confused:

How many people have *actually* heard an overweight person say this? Or that their weight is genetic. Seriously? Admittedly, "slow metabolism" would probably be bandied about a bit.

There was a fella I went to school who used to say that (it was something the whole family said). Funny thing is he used to eat a family-size bag of peanuts everyday and tell anyone who'd listen that his doctor told him he wouldn't live past his 30s if he kept on going the way he was. He's still massive now and in his thirties so I wonder if that doctor's prediction will come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Perhaps, but I do know one thing, if talking about dieting/points/syns/deprivation/exercise etc burned calories, fat people wouldn't be fat anymore.

Huh? Are you trying to say being obscure makes something Art? Not sure I agree with that. Tell you what though I do agree we should treat it like an artefact and place it in an obscure corner of a history museum where it belongs and not wasting endless hours teaching it to our kids.

Latin on the other hand is very useful being the very stem of many European languages and for medical terminology. Irish is pointless because it serves no purpose as a form of communication when there is almost no one who speaks it.

No, i clearly said paractical and not obscure. Plenty of things are aesthic, but we'd be a very boring culture if we got rid of them. Does football serve purpose? Does Coronation Street? Does a 1916 memorial?

You then go on to contradict yourself: Irish is a pointless language because no one speaks it and yet Latin has a use dispite no one speaking it....? Perhaps Irish does have uses other than communication?

You suggest "not wasting endless hours teaching it to our kids" but who are you to dictate what a child might or might not enjoy? A lot fo them do. A lot of them get something from it even if not a practical skill? While I'm all for optional Irish in education, scrapping it just as obstructive and dictatorial as making it mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I think the government should put another 5 quid on a packet of smokes. Sure why not? I also think you should need a licence to vote and have to pass some sort of general intelligence test to qualify for said licence.

Also, people who come out with "tax da rich" should be shot. 52 % is plenty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Usually get serious stick when i bring this one up. Modern feminism has nothing to do with equality and is simply about getting women MORE rights than men instead of everyone actually being equal

VinLieger wrote: »
    Usually get serious stick when i bring this one up. Modern feminism has nothing to do with equality and is simply about getting women MORE rights than men instead of everyone actually being equal

Apart from maybe maternity leave, what extra rights do women have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

cheaper car insurance, default custody of children without court, more parental rights unless men fight it in court 5 times harder.

However im not educated on it enough, i highly respect the old feminism that fought for womens rights and was well needed but the modern is excessive i recon.

• Advertisement

As posted above more rights as an unmarried parent, feminists groups are currently campaigning for lighter sentencing for women, then add in all this quota stuff for politicians and boardrooms.

No, i clearly said paractical and not obscure. Plenty of things are aesthic, but we'd be a very boring culture if we got rid of them. Does football serve purpose? Does Coronation Street? Does a 1916 memorial?

You then go on to contradict yourself: Irish is a pointless language because no one speaks it and yet Latin has a use dispite no one speaking it....? Perhaps Irish does have uses other than communication?

You suggest "not wasting endless hours teaching it to our kids" but who are you to dictate what a child might or might not enjoy? A lot fo them do. A lot of them get something from it even if not a practical skill? While I'm all for optional Irish in education, scrapping it just as obstructive and dictatorial as making it mandatory.

ahahahahaaaaaa :D Seriously??

We should subject all our children to 14 pointless years of Irish because a few Irish Language nazis think one or two might enjoy it?? :D:D

Here's a woman who agrees! :)

And to hit the nerve even harder - if I was an employer, I'd think twice about employing women in childbearing years.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    ahahahahaaaaaa :D Seriously??

We should subject all our children to 14 pointless years of Irish because a few Irish Language nazis think one or two might enjoy it?? :D:D

Same logic as to why religion or more correctly "how to be a catholic" is taught in schools unfortunately

A lot of them get into nightclubs free/get a free cocktail etc in certain places. Ah Mary wollstonecraft would be so proud :pac::pac:

As posted above more rights as an unmarried parent, feminists groups are currently campaigning for lighter sentencing for women, then add in all this quota stuff for politicians and boardrooms.

Quotas are a two way thing though - a board couldn't less than the percentage of men either. I'm on the fence as regards quotas and as they aren't law yet, discussions are pretty speculative.

In terms of cheaper car insurance, I think you'll find that no longer exists as it use to thanks to EU anti-discrimination legislation.

Custody rights are a minefield though and not something I'm well versed on but it would seem to have do more with antiquated views on parenting than modern feminism imo.

Same logic as to why religion or more correctly "how to be a catholic" is taught in schools unfortunately

I dont agree with that either. Though if it came down to a choice, I'd pick religion simply because it was always a nicer "doss" experience than f*ckin "léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpháipéir..." zzzzzz

A lot of them get into nightclubs free/get a free cocktail etc in certain places. Ah Mary wollstonecraft would be so proud :pac::pac:

That's shag all to do with having more rights than men and more to do with club policy to attract more punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Irish should never be removed from the school curriculum (simply because a bunch of smug, narrowminded types want this) IMO, but shouldn't be mandatory either.

And to hit the nerve even harder
    Hit what nerve? Kinda looks like you're saying "Look at me everyone, I'm a woman and I'm disagreeing with modern feminism today!" Sorry to disappoint you but loads of women dont agree with it. I disagree with a lot of it (but not all of it - bizarre to view it all as problematic, and particularly self loathing from women). And yeh I see where employers are coming from re married/co-habiting women between their late 20s and early 40s... but "childbearing years"? As in... 18 to early 40s? That's a hell of a broad demographic to understand avoiding employment of. It's a group that includes you also, so hopefully your employers won't think the same way you do. Or maybe it's ok once it only happens to other women.
    Here's a woman... if I was an employer, I'd think twice about employing women in childbearing years.
    Ah Mary wollstonecraft would be so proud

• Advertisement

And to hit the nerve even harder - if I was an employer, I'd think twice about employing women in childbearing years.

Good idea. Let's produce legislation that says no woman should be employed until they produce a menopause certificate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement