Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Am actually embarrassed for the woman after that defence. She must have been pretty desperate to portray herself as such a halfwit though.

Glad it went against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Where are all the womens groups? Should they not be condemning Mrs Quinn for attempting to put the feminist movement back a century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

MagicSean wrote: »
    Where are all the womens groups? Should they not be condemning Mrs Quinn for attempting to put the feminist movement back a century?

Equality...only when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Come on boardies lets all have a whip round for her shes just a poor house wife now!! poor ****ers hope they get whats coming to them bunch of con artists
    house wife my arse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Looking at the Quinn daughters, it appears Mrs Q's business acumen and good looks are both hereditary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Galtee wrote: »
    I think you may be getting the wrong end of the stick, Anglo => (Irbc) owe the state money not Sean Quinn, he owes Irbc. Do you think Irbc will pay anything to the taxpayer if they get the 2.6 billion out of Sean Quinn?

wrong end of the stick ??

Sean Quinn owes Irbc 2.6 billion - who is out of pocket ??

the state which owns Irbc - 2.6 billion would go some way to reducing the pain and austerity measures currently being forced on the average Irish people

if Quinn paid back some of his debts, i would have some respect for him - instead of hiding his money within a myriad of family owned Eastern European accounts, portfolios etc. - for instance his "clueless " wife is a director of a 100 or so companies , whilst her husband lives on 10,000 a year

sorry - no respect for Mr. Quinn , he is causing more damage to the state than Sean Fitzpatrick in my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I'm glad poor MRs Quinn lost her case against the judgement for €3 million. What a fcuking neck on her claiming what she did. I couldn't believe it but then again these sort of people will stoop very low to protect themselves and their assets.

I know she was a total idiot to try make out she was a homemaker for 36 years and didnt know what she was signing. the judge has this to say "He said even the most cursory glance at the documents she had signed would have told all but an illiterate person that she was entering into some form of borrowing agreement" You cant argue with that. Take their house take their assets put them out on thee street pack of f**king scumbags.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Take their house take their assets put them out on thee street pack of f**king scumbags.

i think this is totally over the top. sean quinn worked his way up to irelands richest man from nothing. through hard work.
    then he got greedy, fair enough. he made a mistake. but you hav to remember that his wife, WAS a homemaker for her whole married life, an ordinary country woman who's husband worked hard and made a lot of money.

granted, he made mistakes through greed, and id be fairly sure he maybe took some bad advice from people who probably made a lot of money out of him, but he employed a hell of a lot of people in the north west. even in the celtic tiger years, there would have been nothing in that area if it wasnt for him.

i think calling him and his family 'scumbags' is disgusting. they are people who did well, then like a lot of people in this country, they lost it.
    it doesnt make them 'scum' and i really dont understand how personal attacks on this family could be justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linkedup

going by the photos of her she does look a bit simple to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

bubblypop wrote: »
    i think this is totally over the top. sean quinn worked his way up to irelands richest man from nothing. through hard work.
    then he got greedy, fair enough. he made a mistake. but you hav to remember that his wife, WAS a homemaker for her whole married life, an ordinary country woman who's husband worked hard and made a lot of money.

granted, he made mistakes through greed, and id be fairly sure he maybe took some bad advice from people who probably made a lot of money out of him, but he employed a hell of a lot of people in the north west. even in the celtic tiger years, there would have been nothing in that area if it wasnt for him.

i think calling him and his family 'scumbags' is disgusting. they are people who did well, then like a lot of people in this country, they lost it.
    it doesnt make them 'scum' and i really dont understand how personal attacks on this family could be justified

Must be a different Sean Quinn than the one that's in the news on my planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

thebaz wrote: »
    if Quinn paid back some of his debts, i would have some respect for him - instead of hiding his money within a myriad of family owned Eastern European accounts, portfolios etc. - for instance his "clueless " wife is a director of a 100 or so companies , whilst her husband lives on 10,000 a year

I do hope the CAB are looking into this, he is a criminal in my mind. I hope they take every single cent back he owe. I for one am not happy to be paying to clean up his mess.

Imagine the uproar there would be if this 'Quinn' guy wasn't even Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

i think this is totally over the top. sean quinn worked his way up to irelands richest man from nothing. WITH THE HELP OF CORRUPT AND BANISHED WHAT YE CALL EM??? OH YE THEM CORRUPT FF REMEMBER THEM SCUMBAGS!!!

granted, he made mistakes through greed, FF

i think calling him and his family 'scumbags' is disgusting. LOL____ FF

why then does he not make some attempt to payback some of the 2.6 billion he owes the state, through the Irbc(Anglo) loan/ gamble he took ?

instead of hiding his assets through family and foreign assets - this is particularly hard to swallow, whilst the country is ****ed financially, due to the cavalliar attitude of a very few - **** em i say, for the pain they have inflicted on many thousand innocent irish folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Granted your right but to say he got greedy is not the word. Stupid is the word. How can you get into so much debt and thinks ah yeah sure its fine when it comes to the crunch il declare bankrupcy in the north and be allow to start fresh after 3 years. As for the wife. how can you be a home maker and the director of so many companies and then say "oh im sorry judge I didn't know what I was signing". The whole family knew what was going on then they try to change all their assets and what not into each others names so as not to get repossed. Con artists like the other developers, bankers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

foxyboxer wrote: »
    If I were a bankrupt billionaire, I'd salt away assets too. It's just the done thing.

You can't be a "bankrupt billionaire" - that's the point!*

If you have assets to "salt away", then you're not bankrupt.

Unfortunately even basic logic rules don't apply in Ireland's f**ked up, immoral high society.

Exception : the Quinns are financially billionaires but morally bankrupt, but that's a different scenario entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

I managed to uncover a short clip of the Patricia Quinn hearing, I' inclined to believe her story after watching this.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    If I were a bankrupt billionaire, I'd salt away assets too. It's just the done thing.
    [pendant] bankrupt ex-billionaire.[/pendant] ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Awww

Poor Mrs Quinn.

Funnily enough, "The Family" shared out a 200million euro dividend in 08 before the sh1t hit the fan.

Which is handy :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    Funnily enough, "The Family" shared out a 200million euro dividend in 08 before the sh1t hit the fan.

Which is handy :)

Shared amongst themselves (within the family ) or amongst us taxpayers, who are now expected to cover their losses ?

Somehow I expect the former, if not I am still waiting on my share

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

One of our wealthiest gets screwed by the banks yet in typical Irish ignorance we celebrate the fact that he has lost nearly everything he had. Those really at fault are the banks and his advisors. If it was me or you in Quinns position during the boom I dont think we either would have had an idea about economics and money management! Shame on the Quinn haters. He has been financially raped multiple times and nearly left for dead by thieves and cheats, who deserve to be put away for a long time.

• Advertisement

One of our wealthiest gets screwed by the banks yet in typical Irish ignorance we celebrate the fact that he has lost nearly everything he had. Those really at fault are the banks and his advisors. If it was me or you in Quinns position during the boom I dont think we either would have had an idea about economics and money management! Shame on the Quinn haters. He has been financially raped multiple times and nearly left for dead by thieves and cheats, who deserve to be put away for a long time.

surely as one of Ireland wealthiest men , he should have some idea of money management - if I owe the bank money i have to pay it back - why should he be any different - if he made some attempt to pay back what he owes during these days of hardship , i would have some respect for him , but the lack of transperecy is what makes me sick , whilst so many in the country are suffering - if he had won on the Anglo gamble would he have shared his wealth with taxpayers , somehow i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

I get yer point. There isn't really a mechanism to "share" wealth with taxpayers in this country. He did good things though with the quarry and the amount of jobs he created. Maybe the amount was just too BIG to even try and pay back? Again, not entirely his fault he took out a massive loan and wasn't able to pay it. He, like others, had no magic ball to see the downturn coming. We are bound to suffer, because the CORRUPTION is endemic in this government who give first reference to all their family and friends. The Dail is not representing the ppl because it is just a collection of one or a few sectors of society who have similar interests to the detriment of the rest. They are people who were wealthy enough in the beginning to fund their political career. They are a misrepresentation of the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I get yer point. There isn't really a mechanism to "share" wealth with taxpayers in this country. He did good things though with the quarry and the amount of jobs he created. Maybe the amount was just too BIG to even try and pay back? Again, not entirely his fault he took out a massive loan and wasn't able to pay it. He, like others, had no magic ball to see the downturn coming. We are bound to suffer, because the CORRUPTION is endemic in this government who give first reference to all their family and friends. The Dail is not representing the ppl because it is just a collection of one or a few sectors of society who have similar interests to the detriment of the rest. They are people who were wealthy enough in the beginning to fund their political career. They are a misrepresentation of the people.

Why is Saint Sean and his family hiding their overseas assets and selling each other multi-million properties for laptops then?
    This guy and his clan are akin to thieves - but not as classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Whatever happens Seán Quinn he and his family will unquestionably remain wealthier than, in all probability, every single person contributing to this thread, while our taxes pay off his debt. This is the system which we, the Irish people, support.

"Great businessman" or not, to live the rest of you life without financial worries would be considered a success to most people. Ergo, Seán Quinn is quite the success, even in abject failure. God bless our system, and the conservatism of the Irish electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Quinn knowingly broke many company, financial and insurance laws in his never-ending quest to add zeros onto his bank balance. He and his family are now STEALING OUR MONEY and making a mockery of the judicial system. The only "typical Irish" thing about it is that the **** isn't already in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I get yer point. There isn't really a mechanism to "share" wealth with taxpayers in this country.

There wasn't really a mechanism to share losses, either, but Quinn & his FF buddies ensured that one was manufactured quickly enough.
    Maybe the amount was just too BIG to even try and pay back? Again, not entirely his fault he took out a massive loan and wasn't able to pay it.

Yes, it is his fault. Just like I'm responsible for any loans that I took out, he should be responsible for ones that he took out.

Remember that the loan in question was not a business loan - according to news reports it was a loan to do up his house.

I don't know what kind of a deluded tosser needs €3 million to do up a house.

But the fact that we have to foot the bill while he signs his (still extensive) asset base to others so that they won't be used to pay his bill is absolutely sickening, and should have every man, woman and child who is being screwed to pay for his debt protesting in the streets.

At least that has been deferred now, with the rightful judgement, but if they appeal then the people of Ireland had better wake up.

Honourable people honour their debts.
    Honourable people in difficulty pay what they can.

The word for weasels who hive off their cash and assets to avoid paying anything at all escapes me at the moment, but I wouldn't piss on the Quinn family if they were on fire at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I get yer point. There isn't really a mechanism to "share" wealth with taxpayers in this country.

Would you ever.....of course he could have shared the wealth, he could have not availed of all the tax-avoidance methods and let his tax contribution be as equitable as that of PAYE workers. I'm not saying he should, but since he didn't do it when he could have, he and his whole family can fúck off looking for sympathy and relief now - they gambled, made huge winnings, lost the run of themselves and lost, tough ****, pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Are you actually mad? Why won't he pay any of it back if he's such a great man? Shame on us :confused: No, shame on you for sticking up for a family that are now wealthier than most of us could imagine being but who refuse to take any responsibilty for any of the debts that they owe.

Maybe the amount was just too BIG to even try and pay back?

Oh, so the amount he owes is so big that he shouldn't even try to pay any of it back and his family should get to hold on to millions and millions while making the tax payer pay it back?

When you look at the amount he amount that they owe compared to their assets they are in a much better situation than someone trying to pay back a €400,000 mortgage while on the dole, should they not have to pay it back either?

lucylu wrote: »
    If "Clueless" Homemaker Mrs Quinn was a Company Secretary for 10 Companies did she get a salary? Did she pay tax?

Aren't there certain responsibilites that a company secretary is supposed to have?
    Am actually embarrassed for the woman after that defence. She must have been pretty desperate to portray herself as such a halfwit though.

Glad it went against them.

I don't think she was desperate, just greedy.

She clearly doesn't care what people think of her considering she just degraded herself to try to get out of paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Oh my good Gawd. I'm truly gobsmacked by that.

Sean Quinns "gamble" has led to an additional 2% going on every insurance premium from January onwards (has everyone forgotten that). He owes our bank over €3 billion, he is selling valuable assets for a laptop, he declares himself bankrupt in NI to protect himself from our legal system and yet you...............................:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

What a money grabbing, scumbag, self-intitled shower this lot are.

Seriously. The neck of them. I hope they do end up with nothing, and find out exactly what real life is all about

I'd like to see how this "housewive & home maker" would manage on less than 100 euro a week

Disgusting

Advertisement