Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

oldyouth wrote: »
    Oh my good Gawd. I'm truly gobsmacked by that.

Sean Quinns "gamble" has led to an additional 2% going on every insurance premium from January onwards (has everyone forgotten that). He owes our bank over €3 billion, he is selling valuable assets for a laptop, he declares himself bankrupt in NI to protect himself from our legal system and yet you...............................:confused:

Maybe you want to start a civil war with these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

a kick up the arse might suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No, stripping him and his family of every Cent he has will suffice. I don't wish the man any harm but if he has ANY assets, they belong to us now. If he doesn't accept that, he is scum

It seems to be the order of the day to avoid paying tax to Enda and co. One Bono could also come in for criticism but according to most people he's a "great guy" champion of the poor et all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It seems to be the order of the day to avoid paying tax to Enda and co. One Bono could also come in for criticism but according to most people he's a "great guy" champion of the poor et all.

Bono didn't f**king cost us millions.

There's a MASSIVE difference between paying tax on what you earn and expecting others to foot your basic bill.

Did you have to pay for Bono's merc ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Bono and U2 aren't engaging in speculation that could lead to the collapse of our ecomomy and aren't looking for a levy to support their losses. Stupid comparison.

I'm not supporting Bono.

This is getting heated. If you would have bothered to read my other posts I have already said the regime will FORCE you to pay huge taxes and plunder your bank accounts, i.e. the government. Now here I am spitting tea in laughter at the hatred directed against ONE man who is not even implementing taxes. I am at my last straw with you people. Grow up.

This is getting heated. If you would have bothered to read my other posts I have already said the regime will FORCE you to pay huge taxes and plunder your bank accounts, i.e. the government. Now here I am spitting tea in laughter at the hatred directed against ONE man who is not even implementing taxes. I am at my last straw with you people. Grow up.

We're still paying for his massive personal fcuk up

The only reason it's "getting heated" is because you're trying to compare someone who doesn't pay taxes in this country but doesn't expect us to pay his bills with someone who expects us to foot the bill for all his assets but with him hanging on to them.

The "grow up" comment is a joke, because it's usually kids who are the ones who want stuff that they can't pay for.

Get Seanie and his family to "grow up".

And while you're at it, realise that that €3 million that Quinn refuses to pay is €2 out of your pocket and everyone else still fortunate enough to be working in this country.

If you want to defend him that much, you can pay my €2 as well, and hope that Seanie invites you over to see his €3 million redecorated mansion.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The only reason it's "getting heated" is because you're trying to compare someone who doesn't pay taxes in this country but doesn't expect us to pay his bills with someone who expects us to foot the bill for all his assets but with him hanging on to them.

The "grow up" comment is a joke, because it's usually kids who are the ones who want stuff that they can't pay for.

Get Seanie and his family to "grow up".

And while you're at it, realise that that €3 million that Quinn refuses to pay is €2 out of your pocket and everyone else still fortunate enough to be working in this country.

If you want to defend him that much, you can pay my €2 as well, and hope that Seanie invites you over to see his €3 million redecorated mansion.

and if he's really lucky Seanie might let him take a slash in one of his 7 en suites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Eh, get the fúck over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You don't be about After Hours much?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

temply wrote: »
    and if he's really lucky Seanie might let him take a slash in one of his 7 en suites

No need. Just stand over Seanie.

Or use the kitchen floor - after all, we've paid for the house a couple of times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Whatever about U2, their anti-Irish tax policy would indicate that the poor and marginalised in Ireland clearly aren't a priority for them.

Seanchai wrote: »
    Whatever about U2, their anti-Irish tax policy would indicate that the poor and marginalised in Ireland clearly aren't a priority for them.

and they are a huge priority for sean quinn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sean was a "business" man who built his empire on taking huge risks based on his own gut feeling.. This was very successful for a long time.. Never took advice from anyone..

He took an enormous punt on Anglo which if it had worked out would have caterpulted him into mega fortunes... Cant blame a man for trying this.

The gamble didn't pay off and he should step away and let the state recover whatever it can from whatever is left...

Continuing in this petty endeavours to hold onto whatever he can by ridiculous claims just looks mean and desperate and reminds us that he got where is through huge gambles rather than any decent business acumen.

The fact that we are all paying insurance premiums on his behalf and picking up the Anglo tab is a failing of our Government rather than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Do we get 1 exemption from the 'attack the post and not the poster' rule because this has really got on my tit? The Government of this country is trying to act responsibly in getting us out of a hole that this man, more than any other, has got us in to and they get called a 'regime'. Sean Quinn took a huge gamble, lost and is now a COWARD in they way he is squirming like a worm. Supporting him is odd to say the least

Sean Quinn and his cronies thought they were indestructible. They were arrogant, short sighted & puffed up with too much self importance. The whole Anglo debalke showed us that.

I hope they hit the ground with a bang to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

One of our wealthiest gets screwed by the banks yet in typical Irish ignorance we celebrate the fact that he has lost nearly everything he had. Those really at fault are the banks and his advisors. If it was me or you in Quinns position during the boom I dont think we either would have had an idea about economics and money management! Shame on the Quinn haters. He has been financially raped multiple times and nearly left for dead by thieves and cheats, who deserve to be put away for a long time.

Sorry but he was a greedy fuk who had more than enough but it turned out it wasn't enough for him. He wanted to buy Anglo and got burnt.

Now he has to pay the consequences and is doing everything in his power to worm his way out of it, as is our way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Callipo wrote: »
    Sorry but he was a greedy fuk who had more than enough ......

You could have said the same about him 25 years ago but if he had more than enough then + did not expand, he would not have created thousands of jobs and paid billions in tax over the last few decades.

He was misled by Fitzpatrick / Anglo + the bankers, that was his downfall.

gigino wrote: »
    Callipo wrote: »
    Sorry but he was a greedy fuk who had more than enough ......

You could have said the same about him 25 years ago but if he had more than enough then + did not expand, he would not have created thousands of jobs and paid billions in tax over the last few decades.

He was misled by Fitzpatrick / Anglo + the bankers, that was his downfall.

"Billions" in tax? Seriously ?

Can you back that up with references or facts ?

And even if he did (which I doubt) he's undoing any good by being a devious pest now by trying to renege on his debts and hide his assets.

We were misled by Bertie (or rather some of you were) - does that mean that you can pull the same stunts and get everyone else to pay the debts that you signed up for ?

some journalist had it worked out in the papers a few months ago. When you think of all the VAT his firms collected, all the corporation tax they paid, all the PRSI and income tax his firms collected from their thousands of employees, all the vat his employees paid, all the stamp duty and Capital acquisitions tax and capital gains tax and VRT and other taxes his companies paid.....shure the border counties like Cavan would have folded only for him. And then Fitzpatrick the banker rings him + sells him part of the bank, that it would be a great investment ....it probably would have been had the public service regulator regulated it properly;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Quinn, a couple of years back, promised to pay back every cent he owed.

Since then he has tried everything possible to weasel out of paying anything. He's a man without morals and without honour.

How about he repay the €400 million he took from his companies for his five children? Not a hope in hell.

The Quinns were only interested in the profits, not the losses.

Gophur wrote: »
    How about he repay the €400 million he took from his companies for his five children?
    was it taxable income, which they paid income tax etc on ? Or was it a loan ? Big difference.

Would you pay back income from your employer you got a year or 2 ago if it now went bust ? If so, should'nt public servants pay back some of the wages they got a few years ago ? Thats your argument

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

some journalist had it worked out in the papers a few months ago. When you think of all the VAT his firms collected, all the corporation tax they paid, all the PRSI and income tax his firms collected from their thousands of employees, all the vat his employees paid, all the stamp duty and Capital acquisitions tax and capital gains tax and VRT and other taxes his companies paid.....shure the border counties like Cavan would have folded only for him. And then Fitzpatrick the banker rings him + sells him part of the bank, that it would be a great investment ....it probably would have been had the public service regulator regulated it properly;)

VAT, whilst collected by Quinns companies, was not a tax paid by his companies, it was paid by his companies customers. Likewise income tax & EE PRSI was paid by his employees not his companies. Cannot see how he would pay CAT, there is no VRT on commercial vehicles (except nominal fee). Therefore the only taxes the Quinns companies would have paid are CT, CGT & Stamp Duty (the later two would be one off and probably minimal considering the levels we are talking here). The idea you are suggesting he paid billons in tax is laughable and as is your statement that he should get credit for the VAT his employees paid!

The fact is that Quinns exports were minimal, his business's were based on domestic demand, therefore he did not create wealth for the country. The domestic demand means that if he didn't supply to meet the demand, someone else would have creating identical employment, etc. He gambled and lost and is now showing his true character now by trying to wheasel his way out of his obligations and screw us the taxpayers in the process. People who defend this fella make me sick!

obviously you never added up all the taxes he, his family, his companies and his employees paid. Or know of the economic wasteland the border counties were in the 70's. He deserves some credit for all the jobs he created. At least he tried. For a few decades there was a very successful company in Ireland, paying lots of tax + employing people. He branched in to rew industries + was successful in them ...bottle making, radiator making, insulation, hotel etc.
    In Ireland we knock the entrepreneur though.
    The next generation may as well emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

obviously you never added up all the taxes he, his family, his companies and his employees paid. Or know of the economic wasteland the border counties were in the 70's. He deserves some credit for all the jobs he created. At least he tried. For a few decades there was a very successful company in Ireland, paying lots of tax + employing people. He branched in to rew industries + was successful in them ...bottle making, radiator making, insulation, hotel etc.

No I haven't calculated what taxes he paid and never said I did. However you claim he paid 'billions' in taxes, any back up for this or are you just talking out of your arse. And how does what his employees paid got to do with this? As previously stated the employment he 'created' would have been created by someone else in his absence because his business was based on domestic demand. I'm not knocking an entrepreneur, I'm knocking a wheasel who has cost the state and it's taxpayers billions, whilst he looks after number 1.

Sigh! :rolleyes:

We rightly knock those who refuse to pay THEIR bills and try to con the rest of us into paying them.

If Quinn honoured his debts there would be no knocking.

But no, the prick does everything in his power to keep what isn't his.

• Advertisement

ABEasy wrote: »
    his business was based on domestic demand.
    including his factory in England, which he took profits out of to bering back to Ireland ?

The Slieve Russell only accepted tourists from the 26 counties ?

He created thousands more jobs than the entire public service created in their lifetime.

Advertisement