Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Received the raspberry pi today, very impressed so far. Just installing tighvncserver to eliminate the need for keyboard/mouse and free up the USB ports for other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

justryan wrote: »
    Received the raspberry pi today, very impressed so far. Just installing tighvncserver to eliminate the need for keyboard/mouse and free up the USB ports for other devices.

How does this work? Does it allow you to control it via the network?

shizz wrote: »

How does this work? Does it allow you to control it via the network?

Yep the plan is to use the iPad/iPhone over wifi to connect to and control the Pi.

I've installed the wheezy distro there's a good article here on installing the VNC server

http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Server

I upgraded to a 32gb sd card and installed raspbmc. Now installing lxde and x11vnc for remote access.

Tinyvncserver wasnt what I needed after all as every time you connect a new desktop spawns, x11vnc uses the current desktop and works well with apps for the iPad/iPhone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not sure if freenx is available in the repos, but it is significantly better than vnc for remote control.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Not sure if freenx is available in the repos, but it is significantly better than vnc for remote control.

I may try that out, I'm still waiting for lxde to install :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Quick tip for anybody with USB port on their TV... I have my pi connected to that as a power source, when I turn on the tv it turns on and when i turn off the tv it turns off a few seconds later.

I've an LG32LD450. (TV Remote also controls the Pi via CEC so it's quite slick over all)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

do you shutdown the pi with the option inside the xbmc menu?
    if you just power off, does it not corrupt the pi? (forced shutdown)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I saw that you should shut it down from within the menus the first time, but after that you're good to just pull the plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

How long did it take for people to recieve orders from Farnell? Mine was despatched on the 18th (5 days ago) and still not here. Would have expected it by now.

On the plus side, I originally ordered from Radionics on July 27th and cancelled on October 3rd as the wait time was just taking the piss. Then ordered from Farnell on the 9th October, and was shipped the 18th October.

What are Radionics at?!? :confused: I also hated the fact that Radionics took money for the Raspberry Pi on order (and then refunded me on cancellation) as opposed to taking money on despatch. I was sure I read that this type of operation was illegal, or certainly questionable enough in the eyes of consumer law.

Need to source myself a nice case now in the meantime..

do you shutdown the pi with the option inside the xbmc menu?
    if you just power off, does it not corrupt the pi? (forced shutdown)

I've never used the shut down... saw it but just assumed it was for XMBC on machines that had a power button and it would turn it off! Haven't had any problem so far that I can directly relate to that! Have had the usual few bugs on various builds of OS's I've been using!

Currently on Xbian 0.8.3 and seems decent, might make a squash image to put it on my card with berry boot on it, to make it easier to use the pi for applications other than XMBC.

Basq wrote: »
    How long did it take for people to recieve orders from Farnell? Mine was despatched on the 18th (5 days ago) and still not here. Would have expected it by now.

On the plus side, I originally ordered from Radionics on July 27th and cancelled on October 3rd as the wait time was just taking the piss. Then ordered from Farnell on the 9th October, and was shipped the 18th October.

What are Radionics at?!? :confused: I also hated the fact that Radionics took money for the Raspberry Pi on order (and then refunded me on cancellation) as opposed to taking money on despatch. I was sure I read that this type of operation was illegal, or certainly questionable enough in the eyes of consumer law.

Need to source myself a nice case now in the meantime..

I can't remember to be honest, mine was dispatched on July 20th but can't remember when I received... don't remember it being overly long? but could have been a week, like some stuff from uk off ebay etc seems to take for some reason.

5 days ago...wonder will you get the 512mb ram... :eek:

5 days ago...wonder will you get the 512mb ram... :eek:
    Yeah, not sure.

I googled the part number they listed on the invoice and it did indicate the 512MB version elsewhere but it could have just been a generic part number for the Pi.

I reckon it's unlikely as I don't think that option was available when I ordered.

Yeah, not sure.

I googled the part number they listed on the invoice and it did indicate the 512MB version elsewhere but it could have just been a generic part number for the Pi.

I reckon it's unlikely as I don't think that option was available when I ordered.

They did say though that any pi's not dispatched would be upgraded, regardless of what you ordered. Just can't remember if the update was announced within the last 5 days or before hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Quick tip for anybody with USB port on their TV... I have my pi connected to that as a power source, when I turn on the tv it turns on and when i turn off the tv it turns off a few seconds later.

I've an LG32LD450. (TV Remote also controls the Pi via CEC so it's quite slick over all)

Was thinking about this while waiting for my batch. Not sure if the port will supply enough amperage once wifi/wireless keyboard&mouse dongles are attached.

They did say though that any pi's not dispatched would be upgraded, regardless of what you ordered. Just can't remember if the update was announced within the last 5 days or before hand!
    Yeah, actually asked whether it would be the 512MB model on the Farnell's Facebook and they said:
    It is quite likely to be, given the shipping dates. For more info on this: http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-50797/l/raspberry-pi-model-b-512-mb--faq?CMP=SOM-FB-RASP2

Not too shabby!

Was thinking about this while waiting for my batch. Not sure if the port will supply enough amperage once wifi/wireless keyboard&mouse dongles are attached.

Yeah I have a wireless mouse and keyboard attached and seems ok. I have ethernet connected though. I was surprised it worked myself because I tried charging my phone off it a few months ago and it didn't work.

One problem I have is that the usb ports are very close together so I can't attach a memory stick and my wireless keyboard/mouse interface simultaneously.

could get a usb hub i suppose but don't really need to do this very often as I have it attached to a Network storage thing, but could potentially be an issue for you if you want to attach a wireless dongle and the wireless keyboard/mouse interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045IVUCK/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Thought that this may be useful to some people here. The 16Gb one is about £5. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Anyone know where these can be purchased without waiting?

Also thread states 25 Dollar and process seems to be 35 EUR now - why the increase?

john47832 wrote: »
    Without waiting? Unlikely. Farnell have the best despatch times though.
    Also thread states 25 Dollar and process seems to be 35 EUR now - why the increase?
    Well, unfair currency conversion plus shipping and the like.

Although that price was probably for the A model, not the B model.

Mine arrived earlier, but still in it's box. Will confirm if it's the 512MB version later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Mine arrived earlier, but still in it's box. Will confirm if it's the 512MB version later.

How long were you waiting, and were they out of stock at the time you ordered?

How long were you waiting, and were they out of stock at the time you ordered?
    Ordered from Farnell on the 9th October, and was shipped the 18th October.

Don't think they're ever "in-stock" so to speak.. they're indicating delivery within 3 weeks on the site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=26

Less than 24 hours between when I ordered and it arriving on my doorstep, in the UK admittedly, but they certainly have stock of the new 512mb boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey guys,

Ive just installed raspbmc but it seems to hang or freeze a lot. When I boot the pi I get an SD initializing error but it still loads xbmc. Does my install sound corrupt?

Also I cannot enable PVR, I;m pretty new to XMBC could this a server issues, i.e the server is busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/24/raspberry_pi_broadcom_soc_drivers_now_fully_open_source/

"The Raspberry Pi is now host to the “first ARM-based multimedia SoC with fully-functional, vendor-provided fully open-source drivers”, the organisation behind the credit-card sized computer said today."

Also the $25 version was the model A version, which doesn't have an ethernet port and has only one USB port. I don't think they ever bothered making this one as there was such demand for the model B, which is sold at $35... so it should be less than €35 obviously but delivery etc. i suppose. Can't remember what mine worked out at in the end.

Yep, got the 512MB RAM one from Farnell.

Untitled_214.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Works out at about €41.95 for model B including shipping from Farnell. Takes about a week for delivery. ~€7 for a case and €7.63 for an 8GB sd card from Memoryc.com. Total = ~€57

Did I read somewhere that the Pi is notoriously fussy about SD Cards?

The reason I ask is I got a 16GB HP Pro-Series Class 10 SDHC Card from Play.com earlier this year for £7 and it's been sitting in it's box. It'd be ideal I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Did I read somewhere that the Pi is notoriously fussy about SD Cards?

The reason I ask is I got a 16GB HP Pro-Series Class 10 SDHC Card from Play.com earlier this year for £7 and it's been sitting in it's box. It'd be ideal I reckon.
    Take a look at the list here:
    http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoardVerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards

Advertisement