Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BennyMul wrote: »
    only catching up now (a lot of reading:D)
    you are truly set for it , just enjoy your taper

Thanks, um, BM!! :o:D (just seems so wrong to call you BM...)

Gluttony In A Brand Spanking New Purple Tank Top

Plan: 6 miles easy

I couldn't be arsed (I do have that right, don't I? ;)) to do this session outside in the cold and wind tonight, so I pampered myself in my luxury dungeon with tunes cranked to Medieval levels. I felt like a lucky Lady of the times with my upper body draped in the color of royalty.....and the body, legs and mind felt like they could certainly take on the common peasant who might challenge them on the day. (Translation: I felt damn good.)

I kept the pace steady and easy while increasing the incline at each mile. Mile 1, 1%...mile 2, 2%...mile 3, 3%...mile 4, 4%...mile 5, 5%...mile 6, 6%. The increase in incline never bothered me at all - never really even noticed it - and the session was quite delightful in an endorphin filled way. (no, there were no shot bloks consumed in this session...but I did start to long for those caffeinated Viperboost energy gels that Oryx sent me that I am out of....hint, hint...anyone...:o) So it's all good for now.....as long as I don't catch whatever the heck one of our hacking and coughing clients who I couldn't get out of the clinic fast enough today and was a bit freaked out about had. :eek: Of course as I sit here typing, my overactive imagination is wondering if my dry throat and slightly sniffly nose is the beginning of Boston dooming Typhoid Mary. :eek: I think I'll drink a little extra orange juice, throw a pinch of salt over my shoulder, light a candle, dig out the Rosary beads and get to bed early tonight just to be sure. :)

Actual: 6 miles on Lord Treadie

Mainlining Me Some Endorphins....

Plan: 2 miles easy, 3 x 3 miles @ MP w/5 min recovery, 2 miles easy

This is basically how my day went:
    Hopped out of bed around 5:30ish feeling tired and with a dry, scratchy throat. Showered, popped two Ibuprofen then headed to work. Consumed my usual breakfast, poured me a big glass of orange juice (with ice) and became concerned about the sniffling I was doing. Tossed back some vitamins, drank a kiwi-strawberry Emergen-C drink, followed by hot tea, followed by a day of trying to stuff my face because we all know we are supposed to feed a cold. When I started sneezing, well, all reasonableness and patience went out the window and I knew for my own sanity (and for the sake of Boston) I had to take some drastic measures in the form of antibiotics. (kids, do not try this at home!!!) But....I am like a Jewish mother - if one serving is sufficient, two is better. Suffice it to say, my enthusiasm for healing thyself got me a torn up tummy by late afternoon. :( And because of this torn up tummy, and because I had taken antibiotics, and because Boston is right around the corner, my very astute/observant/hand-slapping dear friend coerced gently convinced me to do this session indoors. And so there you go...

But the session was brilliant! Loved it! You know, I actually get a lot of quality out of treadmill sessions, and this was one of those high quality sessions for me. :) Pertinent details as follows:

All MP miles at a setting of 7:42 min/mile.
    Incline @ 1% for miles 1, 4 and 7.
    Incline @ 2% for miles 2, 5 and 8.
    Incline @ 3% for miles 3, 6 and 9.

I know all about pace equivalents based on the incline so I am fully aware that the equivalent paces at 2% and 3% are not 7:42, but there are no pace equivalents on those Boston hills, therefore I deduced that if I kept the same cadence then I was not straying from the plan. Makes sense, right? :confused::) All went very well. The first set of 3 miles was the hardest - just adjusting the body and legs to the pace is a pain in the patootie. Second set of three miles was beautiful, hypnotic, lovely, and drug-like. Third set was also quite wonderful, and I convinced myself during this final set that if I had an IV in place to hydrate and feed me energy then I could run forever. Seriously. :rolleyes: The very last mile of this very last set was really the only mile that took quite a bit of effort, but I wasn't uncomfortable with it. I kept hearing coach's voice in my head telling me to acclimate the body....and that's exactly how I approached this session. Whoop whoop! :) Oh, and it appears I've made a dent in the cold that was trying to ruin my life - it seems almost a distant memory at this moment. Tummy is still cussing me, but that's small potatoes compared to what might have been. ;)

Actual: 14 miles - 2 miles easy, 3 x 3 miles at 7:42 min/mile w/varying inclines and 5 min recovery, 2 miles easy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Mainlining Me Some Endorphins....

Plan: 2 miles easy, 3 x 3 miles @ MP w/5 min recovery, 2 miles easy

This is basically how my day went:
    Hopped out of bed around 5:30ish feeling tired and with a dry, scratchy throat. Showered, popped two Ibuprofen then headed to work. Consumed my usual breakfast, poured me a big glass of orange juice (with ice) and became concerned about the sniffling I was doing. Tossed back some vitamins, drank a kiwi-strawberry Emergen-C drink, followed by hot tea, followed by a day of trying to stuff my face because we all know we are supposed to feed a cold. When I started sneezing, well, all reasonableness and patience went out the window and I knew for my own sanity (and for the sake of Boston) I had to take some drastic measures in the form of antibiotics. (kids, do not try this at home!!!) But....I am like a Jewish mother - if one serving is sufficient, two is better. Suffice it to say, my enthusiasm for healing thyself got me a torn up tummy by late afternoon. :( And because of this torn up tummy, and because I had taken antibiotics, and because Boston is right around the corner, my very astute/observant/hand-slapping dear friend coerced gently convinced me to do this session indoors. And so there you go...

I've always found that about 80% of people get sick during a proper taper. My coach once told me its almost expected. So I always try to minimise the impact - Vit C, Zinc and echinacea. Disinfectant hand gel carried around. Only feed and touch face with left hand and everything/one with the right. Avoid kids.

Obviously feck all use to you now :) Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

tunney wrote: »
    I've always found that about 80% of people get sick during a proper taper. My coach once told me its almost expected. So I always try to minimise the impact - Vit C, Zinc and echinacea. Disinfectant hand gel carried around. Only feed and touch face with left hand and everything/one with the right. Avoid kids.

Definitely the case in our house with Mr Stew and I both battling head colds/tummy flus:) It might have something to do with the fact that we have 3 kids;)

Hope you're on the mend DD
    If you get a chance (but only if you get a chance) you could send a packet of Milk Duds home to Ireland with CL

Not long to go now..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Marthastew wrote: »

If you get a chance (but only if you get a chance) you could send a packet of Milk Duds home to Ireland with CL

I already have one dud to bring home with me...do you think ill fit a whole nother packet too?! ;)

tunney wrote: »

You had me right up until the part about left hand, right hand...which is a bit too complicated for the gal who has to think about which hand she writes with to determine which direction right is and which direction left is (never EVER get me to give you directions on the fly while in a car!!)....which makes me revisit my original idea of copious amounts of irresponsibly administered prophylactic drugs to keep the body in happy marathon homeostatis taper mode.

Tunney, your timing sucks (your feck all use to you now thing...), however if ever there was a boardsie who knows his way around vomit and the creeping crud it's you. Appreciate the assistance. You really should consider starting a new thread on these sorts of issues with your intimate and very valuable knowledge in all things bodily function. You could be our very own Dr. Oz. Just need a snappy log name. ;):)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Definitely the case in our house with Mr Stew and I both battling head colds/tummy flus:) It might have something to do with the fact that we have 3 kids;)

Milk Duds!! Done!! And please let me know if there is anything else - I'm sure Digger won't mind carrying a sack of goodies home to the Stews.

And I am feeling much better today. I have found that blasting the bugs out of the body to be the most effective way to get over an illness. Basically, if you can smell the antibiotics in your urine then you've hit just the right dosage. (kids, cover your ears!!!) ;)
    claralara wrote: »
    I already have one dud to bring home with me...do you think ill fit a whole nother packet too?! ;)

CL, let me know if you want anything in particular as well. No need to be spending your time shopping while in Boston when I can do it for you in advance. :)

The Session Is In The Legs

Plan: 6 miles easy

It was a gorgeous evening and I was feeling slightly guilty about a few things - upping my food intake the past two days due to fighting a cold, and doing last night's session on the treadmill. Ugh. Guilt is a horrible thing when you are supposed to be doing an easy session.

Anyhoo....

I set sail into the 42 degree evening with tunes locked into my ears. I typically avoid listening to music when I am doing a proper run, but I didn't feel like doing this alone so I brought an assortment of metal crooners with me to add a scosche of dynamics to the equation. I don't know if it was the thumping beat, the treadie guilt, or a bit of both...but I did this easy session a smidge north of easy. Whoopsie! :o The legs could definitely feel last night's session in them, but the cadence and rhythm of the stride felt pretty good and I managed to keep the body relaxed and arms doing their thing. It was glorious running into the sunshine, something that has been nonexistent for way too long, and even more glorious teasing my mind with thoughts of warmer weather and the promise of fewer layers of clothing to come. <sigh> Oh, and the hills were no bother. :)

Actual: 6.62 miles in 53:08.8 for an average pace of 8.01 min/mile

CL, let me know if you want anything in particular as well. No need to be spending your time shopping while in Boston when I can do it for you in advance. :)

You may wish you never offered... what sort of united sugary states of junk food american treats damage do you reckon you could do if I gave you a budget of say, 50 bucks, to put together a goody bag for me?!! :D:rolleyes:;):D

• Advertisement

You may wish you never offered... what sort of united sugary states of junk food american treats damage do you reckon you could do if I gave you a budget of say, 50 bucks, to put together a goody bag for me?!! :D:rolleyes:;):D

Ooooo...I can hook you up, but I'll need to know if you have any sinful confection preferences. :D And, no Digger, I wasn't talking about you. ;)

Milk/dark/white chocolate? Filled? Solid? Chewy? Nutty? Gourmet or commercial name brand? Oh so many options my dear. Of course, variety truly is the spice of life. ;):)

Ooooo...I can hook you up, but I'll need to know if you have any sinful confection preferences. :D And, no Digger, I wasn't talking about you. ;)

Milk/dark/white chocolate? Filled? Solid? Chewy? Nutty? Gourmet or commercial name brand? Oh so many options my dear. Of course, variety truly is the spice of life. ;):)

OMG...yes all of the above please!! I'm a lover of each of the chocolate races - no discrimination from this corner. Solid/filled/chewy/nutty/wafery/caramely...you name it I'll find a home in a bingo wing or an oversized fanny ;);)

High street or boutique, mass or bespoke!!

I think the only no would be liqueur-y... I like my vino in one hand and my chocolate in the other! :)

Don't put yourself out though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm sure Digger won't mind carrying a sack of goodies home to the Stews. :)

It's the sole reason I've been developing the guns :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'll find a home in an oversized fanny

Ahem, I'll get my coat!

Is It Rude To Leave Your Running Companion Behind?

Plan: 7 miles easy

For the last month or two I've pretty much been on my own for all of my runs - oh, except that run about four weeks ago that I emasculated my physio on. :D So, because today was an easy day, and because I was feeling generous with my time :rolleyes:, I rang my friend who I used to run a few times a week with to see if he was up for the Lake Arrowhead loop. He said he was. Whoop whoop and happy days, I was going to have a bit of company for this one!

A few of the basics - gorgeous day, yada yada....wore my capris instead of long pants, praise the lord....and didn't have to wear a hat or gloves, can it get any better than this? ;) Met up with my friend and his dog at the deserted lake (it always amazes me how underused this wonderful resource is) and off we went with my unspoken mind thinking an 8:30ish pace would be nice for this easy, hilly run with my companion who typically pulls me back and keeps me in check. However, to my sort of surprise, I believe that in the time since we last ran together I have improved to the point that my legs no longer enjoy being held back beyond their perception of easy, so this left me with a bit of a guilt trip when it was obvious that our bodies had differing opinions of the definition of easy and I trotted on ahead of him when the real hills began just after 3 miles into the run. Oops. :o I actually debated about this in my head before I went on - manners and all, especially since I am the one who invited him - but it's a dog eat dog world out there and I've got to finish this Boston plan feeling good both physically and mentally; therefore, because the legs wanted to go, and because I knew it would do me significant good from a confidence perspective, I pushed on and didn't look back.

The run felt great. Running in sunshine on a mild morning in the countryside looking at the mountains with only a few layers of clothing on was such a welcome change. The first 3 miles contained some nice ups and downs and I chatted constantly with my companion (8:20, 7:58, 8:04). The next 3 miles started out pretty flat, but soon enough the 2.5 mile ascent began at a gradual clip and increased exponentially in grade with each strike of my foot. I was extremely shocked pleased when I saw the paces I was able to keep on this section by just relaxing, using my arms, and keeping the rhythm steady for I never could have kept those paces two months ago (7:56, 7:40, 8:02). I reached the tippy top of the highest hill just before the 6 mile mark and was rewarded with a sharp and spiffy half mile descent that I leaned into and let gravity do its job. When I reached the very bottom of the hill, my pace was a sizzling 6:33....so after I smiled to myself (love those fast downhills :D) I eased it back and let the road dictate the final few steps (7:23, 2:30 (8:01)).

Thoroughly enjoyed this run. I never felt pushed and it reminded me of the forward strides I have made, especially on hills. :)

Actual: 7.31 mies in 57:55.13 for an average pace of 7:55 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Is your friend still talking to you? :)

The O'Dark Thirty Session (what was I thinking??!! :confused:)

Plan: 15 miles - first 12 easy, last 3 @ MP

Barf.

Whose cockamamie idea was it to get up at 5:10 this morning so I could have feet to the pavement by 5:30 so I could get this done before I had to be at work by 8:00???? Holy crap this was miserable. First of all, there are no streetlights on the east end of town so I spent the first 4 miles basically feeling my way through the dark with only the tiniest bit of light cast (with very disturbing shadows) from my itty-bitty snap-on light that I was wearing so oncoming traffic would see me and not flatten me into roadkill. Then, by mile 4 I was hating life and knew the two little breakfast bars at 140 calories each were not doing it for me so I dipped prematurely into my shot blok stash totally screwing with my pre-run made-up nutrition plan. Whateva. Finally, on mile 7 I felt a bit better than death warmed over and managed to find some joy (didn't hurt that this was a relatively flat section) only to have this happy moment quickly dashed at mile 8 with its never-ending hills. By this time, light was beginning to break so I reached to turn off my snap-on light only to discover that it had fallen off of my jacket. Crap!! :mad: Soooo....I turned my arse around and re-traced my steps until I found it still illuminated on the sidewalk not too awfully far out of my way, restoring my faith once again that perhaps.....umm....hmm...well, I'm not really sure what it restored my faith in, but it was something...trust me....something good. Next up was some good old fashioned rain. Yeehaw. This would be the rain I was trying to avoid by running at this godawful time of day because the weatherman said it would start around midday. Thank you Mr. Weatherman for getting that totally wrong. And the final icing on the cake was the shot-blok-on-an-empty-stomach hole burning feeling that commenced right when I began my MP miles. Blech. But I trudged ahead....a bit faster than I should have (I really just wanted this to be over as quickly as possible)...and in spite of the horrors I had just been through (please note the liberal use of drama for effect...;)), I actually felt fairly strong at this point, both mentally and physically. :) Whoop whoop....ding dong the wicked witch is dead....and all that. (don't ask....;))

8:42, 8:23, 8:03, 8:17, 8:10, 8:30
    7:50, 8:21, 8:09, 7:59, 8:04, 7:57
    MP (rushed by the circumstances and desire to be done): 7:29, 7:26, 7:23
    Cool down: 9:20, 1:20 (8:42)

Actual: 16.2 miles in 2:11:21 for an average pace of 8:07 min/mile

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Is your friend still talking to you? :)

Ha! He still is. He was pretty good natured about it really. But, I doubt he'll be eager to go with me again anytime soon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ha! He still is. He was pretty good natured about it really. But, I doubt he'll be eager to go with me again anytime soon. :o

"The loneliness of the long distance runner"

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    "The loneliness of the long distance runner"

But....I'm a swimmer, not a runner. :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Too funny / easy.I'm not biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

:DRQ's denial is catching!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not in denial :P

DD, I'll have to send CL over with a list of the goodies I want too :)

Would you like me to send you a packet of digestives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great training going on here. Looks like 3:30 is out of the water at this stage. Given your easy paced and MP runs you must be gunning for 3:20?

One thing I have noticed: I see you have a penchant for hills and love gunning up them at MP. I would seriously avoid doing that at Boston if I were you. Marathon is all about preserving energy and blasting up the hills will send your HR into the red zone. Better to glide up them, lose a few seconds and take it back on the downhills. It's all about even effort rather then even pace.

interested wrote: »
    Too funny / easy.I'm not biting.

Oh hush. What do you know about running anway? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oh hush. What do you know about running anway? ;)

Shes got a point.

I'm not in denial :P

DD, I'll have to send CL over with a list of the goodies I want too :)

Would you like me to send you a packet of digestives?

Oh, I have the perfect idea of something for you..... ;)

Digestives? While I find the name less than appetizing, I'd love a packet of digestives. Oh, wait....crap....I may not be able to eat them, except perhaps on race day if I make my time.... Send them! :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Great training going on here. Looks like 3:30 is out of the water at this stage. Given your easy paced and MP runs you must be gunning for 3:20?

One thing I have noticed: I see you have a penchant for hills and love gunning up them at MP. I would seriously avoid doing that at Boston if I were you. Marathon is all about preserving energy and blasting up the hills will send your HR into the red zone. Better to glide up them, lose a few seconds and take it back on the downhills. It's all about even effort rather then even pace.

I'm still wrapping my mind around a target time....but it's safe to say I want to go sub 3:30....how much sub...??? The work is done....it will be about proper execution on the day. Discipline. Patience. Mental focus. Nutrition. Hydration.

Great advice about the hills, thank you. Yes, preserving energy....definitely. I will ease up them at a steady, relaxed pace on the day, and that's part of the discipline thing I spoke of above. In training, I'm trying to use them as a tool...but then again, I'm a swimmer and not a runner, so what do I know about this running malarkey any way? ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Don't be stressing it will all fall into place on the day, you've done super doper training!!:D

I remember for my first marathon a colleague told me "its a 20 m warm up and a 10k race!!!"

Two Weeks and Counting.....:D

Plan: 20 minute recovery

Quickie lunchtime treadie for an easy 20 minute recovery.

Actual: 20 minute recovery

Had physio session tonight and, other than his non-stop chatter with both his mouth and his hands which took his mind and hands off the work at hand (eh hem - my feet, calves, quads, hams, glutes, etc...) (apparently he is not a multi-tasker!), my legs needed this. A few little issues had popped up over the weekend, but no worries as they were given proper attention tonight...in between the non-stop chatter.

• Advertisement

#9 Dream

Plan: 5 miles easy

This was just a short little easy run about town utilizing the well worn and cracked sidewalks that were littered with various obstacles I'm the form of trash bins, pedestrians, the town maintenance crew, an irresponsibly parked car that jutted out inappropriately from its driveway and blocked my taxpayer paid concrete path and conjured up fleeting vision of me hurdling the urban assault vehicle O.J. Simpson style, and a dangerously low hanging utility wire that had fallen from its proper perch and nearly decapitated me.....so....it was with both pleasure and relief that I had the comfort of my iPod to keep me company tonight with its soothing tunes by way of a mix of music I had recently put together. ;)

The run was fine. I worked on e-a-s-i-n-g up the hills.....and leaning into the downhills. I did oh-kay on them. There was a headwind going up, and a tailwind going down....which meant I probably worked harder than I should have on the way up, and was assisted nicely on the way down. The overall pace was faster than I intended, so, because I know the competitive curse I am saddled with, I have decided to leave the Garmin home for the remainder of my easy runs to ensure that I am not competing with the watch and running too fast.

Actual: 5.06 miles in 39:52.81 for an average pace of 7:53 min/mile

Followed this up with love to the upper body and abs....then some very unimpressive stretching.

Advertisement