Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thanks, everyone, for the break-in support. And yes, scumbag is a very accurate word to describe the vile human being(s) who would betray trust and violate law.

With a Little More Pep in My Step Session.....

Plan: 7 miles easy

Roads still covered in ice and snow so, well, you know.....indoors again! The good news is this easy session was a little easier than they have been for the last week. I'm still coughing, but the lungs feel much better and I definitely am getting some energy and appetite back. I guess the one good thing that's come from being this sick during a season that brings so much edible excess is that I have actually lost a few pounds, which typically doesn't happen this time of year.

Actual: 7 miles on the treadie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

in for a penny in for a pound as you say ;)

Snowy, Slippery Saturday

Plan: 7 miles easy

Snow again this morning....which meant slick streets....which meant this gal wasn't risking slipping and falling. Nope. Having dealt with a bad back earlier this year from a silly challenge gone wrong (thank you Izoard), no run is worth risk of injury at this point in my life.

The treadmill session was pretty good, actually. Won't bore you with the artificially static details of this run (can you call it a run when it's done on the treadie?), but suffice it to say, other than the 30 minute coughing fit that commenced immediately upon my treadmill dismount, the body felt pretty good and the energy level is rising. I've also noticed that since I've been utilizing the treadmill that I have fewer aches and pains.....which is nice, but a little confusing to me.

Tomorrow is a 14 mile progression run, so I am hoping and praying for good weather the rest of today and into tomorrow so I can get that session done in proper fashion outdoors. In the meantime, I'll be stuffing my face full of all sorts of junk food and chocolate in preparation for my 125 day Sugar Junkie challenge with our very own stud muffin, shotgunmcos. :D

Actual: 7 easy miles on the treadmill

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck with the sugar junkie challenge. I plan to stand on the sidelines and watch while eating apple pie and ice cream. :)

Oh and total stud muffin, Dory. ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    ..........while eating apple pie and ice cream. :)
    You are cruel!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Nollaig Shona Duit a Dory

Hi DD just catching up on your log,really sorry to hear about the scumbag incident,what an a*#hole.These clowns always get what they deserve in time.Good to see you are still burning up the miles,you have got to be the most consistent athlete on the forum this year.All things considered i hope you had a nice Christmas and wish you a Happy New Year.

Runonewon wrote: »
    Nollaig Shona Duit a Dory

Hi DD just catching up on your log,really sorry to hear about the scumbag incident,what an a*#hole.These clowns always get what they deserve in time.Good to see you are still burning up the miles,you have got to be the most consistent athlete on the forum this year.All things considered i hope you had a nice Christmas and wish you a Happy New Year.

:D Ahhhhhh....Irish Gaelic!!! I had to google it, but thank you! And thank you for your kind words, however I think all things considered, you have got to be one of the most impressive athletes on the forum. You have come so far. :)

Last Session Of 2012

Plan: 14 mile progression run, upping pace 10 seconds each mile and ending at HM pace

Well, unexpected out of town visitors in the form of some of hubby's family who stopped by to share the holiday joy with us at 10am this morning (don't they know I'm training for Boston and have no time for family or holiday joy??!!) meant I had to eat a second breakfast, postpone my planned run, then move that planned run inside because of other obligations I already had on the docket for today. :mad: But, it was a nice visit and the run turned out to be a pretty quality session, so I guess I can't really complain too much.

Did this session old school - tunes pumping through my iPod and football on the tv. There's something very motivating about pulsating music and hard bodies in a full contact sport to inspire you to succeed and want to improve. :D:o I put the treadie on a 1% incline to keep myself honest, and then away I went. The paces each mile were as follows:

9:52, 9:34, 9:17, 9:01, 8:45, 8:32, 8:18
    8:05, 7:59, 7:53, 7:47, 7:41, 7:36, 7:30

The last 5 miles were tough, but I was able to keep myself pretty happily distracted up until the last half a mile - at which point no body was hard enough and no contact was inspiring enough to stop me from obsessing on how many tenths of a mile I had left to go. Sweated buckets and legs are (as Oryx would say) knackered, so a good workout was had.

Actual: 14 miles in 1:58:11 for an average pace of 8:26 min/mile

Between a full day at work tomorrow and a party to go to tomorrow night, that's probably it for me in the mileage department for 2012. I need to tally the last few weeks, post them on SBR, and then see what my totals are. Woo hoo!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Happy, happy New Year dearest DD!
    I was horrified to read about the break-in but delighted to hear all the animals survived ok. I hope everything is back to normal by now.

What is this crazy Sugar Free challenge you speak of and have you lost your mind? I'm pretty sure you like your treats as much as I do:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sorry to hear about the practice, scummers.
    On a training note I never understood how you ran so much on the treadmill until now, handy to get runs in when otherwise they would be difficult to get in.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year everyone. While our Muffin Man only has minutes left to gorge himself on heavenly sweets, I still have over 5 hours to induce a sugar coma and hope to live to tell about it! Bottoms up! :D

125 days to go...:eek:

Lovely creamy scrambled eggs and salmon on lightly toasted croissants for breakfast.. If nothing else the next 4 months will develop my savoury palate! Welcome to 2013 hoochiedoubleD, let the game begin ;)

125 days to go...:eek:

Lovely creamy scrambled eggs and salmon on lightly toasted croissants for breakfast.. If nothing else the next 4 months will develop my savoury palate! Welcome to 2013 hoochiedoubleD, let the game begin ;)

The first 9 hours done and dusted <whoop whoop!!> and 2,991 hours to go!! Okay hot stuff, I've got my eyes on you. Let the game begin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

I thought of you both this morning a I had a homemade chocolate brownie and ice cream for breakfast :) In my defence I did over indulge on the vino last night and was feeling the effects of that and the extra hot vindaloo I had as an accompaniment (classy!!).

FWIW I think this challenge is tougher than a sub 3hr marathon or 10hr ironman. I definitely couldn't do it.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I thought of you both this morning a I had a homemade chocolate brownie and ice cream for breakfast :) In my defence I did over indulge on the vino last night and was feeling the effects of that and the extra hot vindaloo I had as an accompaniment (classy!!).

FWIW I think this challenge is tougher than a sub 3hr marathon or 10hr ironman. I definitely couldn't do it.

First of all, what kind of ice cream was it on that homemade brownie?? :o

Second of all, I'm actually more worried about hitting my marathon target than staying off the dope. It's about what I can control vs what I can't. Interesting mix.

Happy New Year Griffin. :D

Snowy Street Stomp

Plan: 8 miles easy

Either:

A) I am still sick. :mad:
    B) I have lost more fitness than I realized possible from being confined primarily to the house for 2 weeks. :eek:
    C) My modest excesses last night were too excessive, including the lack of sleep that resulted from being out way past 2am and the dodgy tummy from my attempt to "store" as much chocolate and crap in my little body for the next 125 days as I could before the clock struck midnight. :o
    D) With the passing of 2012, I am yet another year older. :(
    E) All of the above. :mad::eek::o:(

I hooked up with my friend and his dog for this run, and I'm glad I did as I really needed a kick in my rear to get going for this one. The weather wasn't so bad, thank god - cold, cloudy but no wind - but for whatever reason, the first few miles were like I was wading through mud. I just couldn't get my @ss in gear, so I decided instead of fighting it I would just relax and chitter chatter away (in between the coughing I'm still doing) and enjoy 8 easy miles no matter how slow I had to do them. So we chatted about local happenings, dogged cars in the street, hurdled snow banks, watched out for icy patches, and waved to the local law enforcement that was out and about this New Year morning. The effort did get much easier with each passing mile, and I even started to feel some decent strength come back to me for the last few miles, especially on the hills. In the end, I'd say this was a run that started miserably but ended on a positive note.....and I'm back on the street and off the treadmill.....and I haven't had any chocolate for over twelve and a half hours. Roll on 2013. :D:)

Actual: 8.39 miles in 1:16:49 for an average pace of 9:09 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »
    First of all, what kind of ice cream was it on that homemade brownie?? :o

Second of all, I'm actually more worried about hitting my marathon target than staying off the dope. It's about what I can control vs what I can't. Interesting mix.

Happy New Year Griffin. :D

And a happy new year to you DD :)

I do like your approach to this challenge.......it's all under your control!! This would suggest that you are stronger willed than I am and have more self control. I on the other hand am weak and easily lead from the righteous path by temptation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Just catching up with your log DD, sorry to hear about the break in and the illness. I hope you are back to full health, no rest for the wicked eh;)
    good luck with the sugar free challenge...one i couldn't do, but need to do, so might have to do a scaled down version:o

Happy New Year to you and your OH and heres hoping all your wishes come true in 2013. you're a great inspiration to the rest of us!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Snowy Street Stomp

Either:

B) I have lost more fitness than I realized possible from being confined primarily to the house for 2 weeks. :eek:
    C) My modest excesses last night were too excessive, including the lack of sleep that resulted from being out way past 2am and the dodgy tummy from my attempt to "store" as much chocolate and crap in my little body for the next 125 days as I could before the clock struck midnight. :o

I've never seen so many angry or sad faces in any of your posts before Dory!! Happy to see a smile at the end though. Hope your feeling better :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I've never seen so many angry or sad faces in any of your posts before Dory!! Happy to see a smile at the end though. Hope your feeling better :)

Oh, I actually was cognizant of all those angry and sad faces, so that's why I tried to offset them with both a big grin and a smile. :D:) I hate being a "Debbie Downer".....so I try to put that positive spin when I can.

• Advertisement

WTF Wednesday

Plan: 2 miles easy, 8 x 1k @ HM pace (25% recovery), 2 miles easy

Today was spent talking to the investigator who is in charge of cracking our break-in, gathering data for the case, and sending my employees one by one down town to be "interviewed", sooooo, that blew my plan for a sneaky lunchtime run. Drat!! Oh well. I then considered doing this session after work on the streets in the dark, but I talked myself out of due to logistics (longer run than normal for me in the dark, no proper lighting where I wanted to do the interval section, ice on the streets). But, honestly, could I have done this session after work in the dark? Sure I could have. And why didn't I? Gosh.....I've lost my mojo, I'm in a bit of a funk, I'm tired, I preferred being warm and comfortable, I would have puked if I had to run up and down Main Street and on all my usual side streets all by myself for an hour and a half, I just didn't want to. Did I mention that I'm in a bit of a funk right now? I think I did.

Sooooo....treadie on 1% incline and away we went. Woo hoo!! 2 miles easy, check. 8 sets of 1k (converted to miles = .62 miles) at HM pace, check. 2 miles easy, check. I did the intervals at the following paces: 7:59, 7:59, 7:53, 7:53, 7:47, 7:47, 7:41, 7:41.....and my recovery interval was 70 seconds.

I head to Florida at the end of next week, so I'm hoping that this upcoming trip will be the change of scenery I need to get back in the game.

And no sweets for me today. Whoop, whoop!! 2 days down, 123 to go!! :D

Actual: 9.5 miles in 1:28:12.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

DD I had set aside some hours to catch up on your log :) Sorry to hear about the break-in and sickness. I had to go lie down at the thought of 125 days sweet free, holy smoly but that's a long time. Eh best of luck with that one.
    Hope 2013 goes well for you and plenty more PBs to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Either:

F) No swimming?

I head to Florida at the end of next week,

Perfect timing!

Mojo Rising

Knocked this session out with my running friend after work. We did the streets of Luray....and I debuted my brand new and very dorky reflector running vest, complete with a flashing light I attached to it....oh, and a little pocket I can store snacks in. :cool: Total dork-ville. I looked like a crossing guard. Both hubby and my friend sniggered at me, but I'll tell you what - those vehicles could see me a mile away!! :D

Anyway....the run was pretty good. My goal was to keep the pace around 9 min/mile and to keep the effort fairly even taking into consideration inclines, declines, snow banks and traffic. First mile was bang on target, 9:00...second, third and fourth miles were a bit faster at 8:38, 8:25, 8:36....slowed it back to 9:00 on the fifth mile....sixth mile is just about all uphill, so that was a slow but fairly relaxed 9:26...seventh and eighth miles were 9:00 and 9:05.... And the last .29 mile was a feeling good pace of 8:22.

Day 3 of no sweets, and there was some serious peanut butter pie action going on at lunch today. I'm still holding strong, but I noticed there were a few times today I wanted to reach for something chocolately - a truffle, a peanut butter ball, a Hershey Kiss - but I didn't, and I won't. I have upped my protein consumption a bit to make up for my lost calories, but I really needed to anyway because I tend to eat very little protein and just about no iron rich red meat. These 125 days will be a very interesting experiment. Only 122 days to go. :)

Actual: 8.29 miles in 1:13:38 for an average pace of 8:53 min/mile

I weighed myself on Monday, and I weighed myself this morning.....and after 4 days, three of which were without my sugary sweet staple of a diet, I'm already down 8/10 of a pound. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done Dory, Keep up the good work, its not gonna be easy, coming from a sweets junkie myself, sorry to read about christmas eve, only catching up on logs now..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I weighed myself on Monday, and I weighed myself this morning.....and after 4 days, three of which were without my sugary sweet staple of a diet, I'm already down 8/10 of a pound. :eek:
    Stop weighing yourself. Problem solved!

Weekly weigh in only for me. I'll step on Sunday and see.

Holding strong thus far. Although I came across mince pies at next to nothing earlier :( I didn't do enough damage to the mountain of crap around the house over Christmas and now it lies around calling my name... I'm offering to host dinners to entice people to mop it up :rolleyes:

Doing well so far hoochiedoubledee.. good stuff!

Track Time!!

Plan: 2 miles easy, 2,000 (MP), 1,600 (HMP), 1,200 (10k), 800 (5k), 400 (3k), 200 (1 mile), 2 miles easy

Finally!!!! Finally, a decent session for me. Woo hoo!!!! :D Thank god, for I was beginning to think I should hang up my runners. Okay, okay, okay...we all know the static nature of a track.....and yes, that means I did not face hills, traffic, snow banks nor idiots on mopeds....but what it does mean is I don't totally suck!! At least that's what it felt like.

When figuring my paces, I kept in mind the fact that I am still in the use-your-most-recent-marathon-time phase but nearing the use-your-goal-marathon-time phase...in other words, I had an acceptable pace range for each distance as follows:

2,000 - 8:00 to 8:20
    1,600 - 7:40 to 8:00
    1,200 - 7:15 to 7:30
    800 - 7:00 to 7:15
    400 - 6:30 to 6:40
    200 - 6:15 to 6:30

I won't bore you with the boring track details....let's just say my iPod battery was dead, I did this all by my lonesome, the sun was shining, the wind was blowing, I only felt pushed on the 400 and 200, and I knew this would be a good session when mile 2 of my warmup was 8 min/mile and I couldn't slow it down. I wasn't totally sure of what recovery interval to use, so I approximated 25% of the interval, which meant the recovery was decreasing with each interval. I will, however, concede that quite possibly my paces were actually a few seconds slower than my watch calculated because, as I've leaned from the Clown, tracking/calculating on an oval track can be a bit problematic and innacurate for a Garmin. Still, I am very happy with my times and the effort expended. :)

Actual: 8.04 miles in 1:04:19 for an average pace of 7:59 min/mile
    1.25 miles - 9:48 (7:50 pace)
    1 mile - 7:27 (7:27 pace)
    .78 mile - 5:28 (7:00 pace)
    .5 mile - 3:22 (6:46 pace)
    .28 mile - 1:44 (6:17 pace)
    .14 mile - :48 (5:34 pace)

On a fashion note, once again I debuted a few new items today - a very sharp looking grape colored UnderArmor waffle top, and a pair of wool running pants that I absolutely love for the way they fit and feel. I have never had wool running pants before and I have to say that these are the bomb! :D

Yoga

I haven't done any yoga in weeks, and I felt so good when I got home from running (still coughing like I smoke 2 packs a day, but feeling so much better!) that my limber kitty, Norris, and I stretched and bent and ommed for 40 minutes. Happy days!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sounds like the mojo is back DD! Good session there. ;)

Advertisement