Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Delighted to see you've got your mojo back DD:rolleyes:
    When are you heading to Florida and what distance are you running with Goofy and the gang? You will have a great break (After all Disney is the happiest place in the world:)) although I'm sure you could teach them a thing or two about spreading joy:)
    Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Marthastew wrote: »
    Delighted to see you've got your mojo back DD:rolleyes:
    When are you heading to Florida and what distance are you running with Goofy and the gang? You will have a great break (After all Disney is the happiest place in the world:)) although I'm sure you could teach them a thing or two about spreading joy:)
    Have fun

Oh, it feels good to feel good again. I think that nasty bug I had that I'm still getting over really had me down for the count.

I leave for Florida early Friday morning. The Goofy is a two day event - Saturday is a half marathon, Sunday is a full marathon. I initially was hoping to PB the half and just get through the full, but circumstances (illness, travel, crowded course with lots of distractions) may not cooperate in the PB department, but we'll see. Plus, with a 16 mile run tomorrow and a pretty full load of running next week, I'm not exactly tapering for it. Should be loads of fun though, and nice weather - 70/80 degrees and sunny (a little on the hot side for a marathon however). I'm meeting two friends there (hubby has no interest in Disney so he's staying home to mind the animals), and this will be one of the fella's 20th straight time doing the marathon - and this is the 20th year Disney has held the marathon. My friend is one of 95 people who have done all 20 marathons. Way cool. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Are you doing both half and full marathons?!

First craving today. Wanted some home baked mince pies. Settled for 4 wholewheat crackers with peanut butter and jam and 4 with Port Salut cheese. Is hot chocolate a sin?

Are you doing both half and full marathons?!

First craving today. Wanted some home baked mince pies. Settled for 4 wholewheat crackers with peanut butter and jam and 4 with Port Salut cheese. Is hot chocolate a sin?

I am doing both the half and the full....that's why it's called the Goofy!! ;) I'm not looking forward to the plane flight back on Monday - not much leg room!!

First craving? Yours today, mine yesterday....right on time, no doubt. I've never even had a mince pie - haven't a clue what it's made of. :confused: I do think hot chocolate is a sin - to me it's like a very thin milkshake. Did you have one???

I'm a bit worried about my willpower while at Disney. I'm sure there will be obscene quantities of tempting confections, especially awaiting my arrival across the finish line both days. I will warn you in advance, there may be some sinning going on in the land of the Magic Kingdom!! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ah can't wait to read your report on this. The Disney half is on my hitlist but I think that's later in the year. I had never heard of this Goofy Challenge...love it and best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Tired Legs and Very Hungry

Plan: 16 miles easy

First of all, I write this practically starved to death and while chowing down a hamburger. Suffice it to say, I ate a lot of crap pre-challenge days. :o

Not too much to say about this run - it was long, it was slow, and my already tired legs were toast by mile 14. But the good news is they were supposed to be toast by mile 14 - this was the highest mileage week thus far in the plan, and yesterday's 8 miles were quality - that's part of the strategy of this plan, to run on tired legs. Job done.

I sort of broke this run up into three sections - the first 6 miles were on the flats of the Greenway, the next 4 miles were on the sharp hills of the west side of town, and the last 6 miles were back down on the Greenway. Originally I had intended on doing the last 6 miles on the rolling hills of the east side of town, but it was becoming very evident by mile 10 that my legs would have separated themselves from my body and lay down in protest if I had, so I opted for the easier Plan B. I did stop for some apple juice and a swig of water at mile 10, but I'm not sure the apple juice was a good idea as I have never taken apple juice on a run before and my tummy was giving me a fit by the last mile. Might just stick to the usual Gatorade (fruit punch) and water to hydrate in the future.

My goal was to do this session at an average pace of 9 min/mile, and also to keep effort even, which meant I would not be a slave to pace on the hilly miles. I fully embrace "easy" on these runs, and I have absolutely zero guilt doing so. :)

Miles were as follows:
    9:04, 8:58, 8:49, 8:46, 8:46, 8:49
    9:18, 9:06, 9:20, 8:47
    8:50, 8:44, 8:43, 8:53, 8:56, 8:57

Actual: 16 miles in 2:22:59 for an average pace of 8:55 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice - how long since you were over 2hrs?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice - how long since you were over 2hrs?

Well, the last three Sundays were 14 mile runs, the first of which (3 weeks ago) was a very hilly, hard run, and I had my heavy camelback strapped to my body...so the pace was very slow.....thus, that run was 2+ hours. Prior to that, probably last September. :eek:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I do think hot chocolate is a sin - to me it's like a very thin milkshake. Did you have one???

NO :mad::D:p:mad::cool:

Made one for shotgunjunior though and watching him drink the whole thing with a spoon!

Yoga

How could I forget this!!?? Immediately after the run today, Norris and I did 40 minutes of yoga. It is amazing how much doing yoga immediately after a run seems to neutralize the beating the body just took. :)

6 days sans sweets. They will still be making chocolate ice cream in 119 days, right?? ;)

• Advertisement

I tend to cramp if I do yoga post run. Unless its just salutations. Any form of raised leg work brings them on :( Still, yoga is brill and makes you feel brill :)

Trainer

Plan: cross train

Just an easy low resistance, high cadence spin to shake the fatigue and bad stuff out of the legs. Job done. Pondered lots of things while on the trainer - like, this weekend's strategy for the half and the full marathons....and the big dance in Boston - and now my head hurts from thinking about things too much. Chill, Dory, and enjoy the ride. (double entendre alert ;))

Actual: 20 miles on the trainer

Big game tonight....BCS Championship game is about to begin. Go fighting Irish!! Notre Dame vs. Alabama. This one's for all the marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Track Time!!

Plan: 2 miles easy, 2,000 (MP), 1,600 (HMP), 1,200 (10k), 800 (5k), 400 (3k), 200 (1 mile), 2 miles easy

Finally!!!! Finally, a decent session for me. Woo hoo!!!! :D Thank god, for I was beginning to think I should hang up my runners. Okay, okay, okay...we all know the static nature of a track.....and yes, that means I did not face hills, traffic, snow banks nor idiots on mopeds....but what it does mean is I don't totally suck!! At least that's what it felt like.

When figuring my paces, I kept in mind the fact that I am still in the use-your-most-recent-marathon-time phase but nearing the use-your-goal-marathon-time phase...in other words, I had an acceptable pace range for each distance as follows:

2,000 - 8:00 to 8:20
    1,600 - 7:40 to 8:00
    1,200 - 7:15 to 7:30
    800 - 7:00 to 7:15
    400 - 6:30 to 6:40
    200 - 6:15 to 6:30

I won't bore you with the boring track details....let's just say my iPod battery was dead, I did this all by my lonesome, the sun was shining, the wind was blowing, I only felt pushed on the 400 and 200, and I knew this would be a good session when mile 2 of my warm up was 8 min/mile and I couldn't slow it down. I wasn't totally sure of what recovery interval to use, so I approximated 25% of the interval, which meant the recovery was decreasing with each interval.
    Sometimes it's worth picking a particular HR value to aim for in recovery before going again for the next interval. So, for example, if the 2k@MP brought your HR to MP levels of say 150bpm then aim to hit 135bpm on the way down so you have sufficiently recovered. This drop in HR might be the result of 1min walking or 2 mins jogging but either way you are starting the next interval from the same point in HR terms and therefore recovery should be the same.
    I will, however, concede that quite possibly my paces were actually a few seconds slower than my watch calculated because, as I've leaned from the Clown, tracking/calculating on an oval track can be a bit problematic and innacurate for a Garmin. Still, I am very happy with my times and the effort expended. :)
    If you continue to do these sessions on the same oval there should be no problems as the distances and paces should all be relative to each other. Probably only a minimal change if you were to do it on a straight road and even then you will have slight/large hills which will have an impact with pace vs effort. Good running regardless!!
    Big game tonight....BCS Championship game is about to begin. Go fighting Irish!! Notre Dame vs. Alabama. This one's for all the marbles.

I hear Alabama won...:(

Thanks for all of that belcarra! I appreciate your words of wisdom. :)

And yes, Alabama totally destroyed Notre Dame. It was ugly. :(

Treadie Tuesday

Plan: 2 miles easy, 2 miles HMP, 4x1 min on/off, 2 miles easy

There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I was doing this session outside for my mother's obsession with getting the house clean, bills paid, lists made, refrigerator purged, laundry washed, sheets changed, toilets scrubbed, "T"s crossed and "I"s dotted before going on vacation has reared its ugly head in me. Apparently I am on a quest to do a month's worth of chores at both home and work in a matter of 4 days this week. :o Ah jeez.

But....on a positive note, this was a good session. :) With the treadie at a 1% incline, legs and body were a bit reluctant to get with the program during the warmup, but about halfway through the first HMP mile, things started to come together for me. I had the music channel on the tv, so, after a few quick and dirty calculations comparing the estimated time per song to how long it would take me to do 2 miles at HMP (which I did at 7:30 pace), I decided that it would take me approximately 4 songs to complete those 2 miles...and I further decided to not look down at the mileage display until after 4 songs had played. Long story short, I didn't look down, and 4 songs took 2.18 miles. :D

The first 1 minute "on" was at a scorching 6:03 min/mile pace that just about propelled me off the back of the treadie. Yikes! I slowed the next 1 minute "on" to 6:42 min/mile but upped the pace for the last 2 to 6:22 min/mile. By this time in the session I was feeling pretty strong, and I totally enjoyed a nice easy cool down.

Actual: 7 miles in 63:15

8 days off the sugar and I am feeling really good. Diet alterations have been made and I'm eating so much healthier. The only time I really miss a hit of some potent chocolate is after lunch - I guess sort of like a smoker wanting a cig after a meal. Hubby has been pretty considerate of my state of abstinence by avoiding ice cream at night....until tonight. He had a heaping bowl of chocolate and espresso chocolate chip. Just 117 more days to go.....117 more days....117....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

getting the house clean, bills paid, lists made, refrigerator purged, laundry washed, sheets changed, toilets scrubbed,

Wow ... we normally look around our home and think ..."Hey, this place is a mess ...maybe we should go away" :D

Q: Is there a pace of the 1min on - or is is just "floor it". One thing I find is that I cannot max things out over a minute. At this stage in life I have to work up to speed. Cannot just switch it on.

Best of luck in Florida this weekend .....but ....
    Goofy better hope I don't have my can of mace with me!

... go easy on Goofy !

The plan is race the HM and cruise the full ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Wow ... we normally look around our home and think ..."Hey, this place is a mess ...maybe we should go away" :D

Q: Is there a pace of the 1min on - or is is just "floor it". One thing I find is that I cannot max things out over a minute. At this stage in life I have to work up to speed. Cannot just switch it on.

Best of luck in Florida this weekend .....but ....

... go easy on Goofy !

The plan is race the HM and cruise the full ?

:D...this place is a mess....maybe we should go away.....;)

Well, because I didn't bother to apply myself to understand what pace the on pace should be prior to doing this session, I just chose a nice round number setting to hit on the treadmill, and that happened to be 10. I had no idea what pace that was (because I was too busy computing minutes per song then applying it to miles per song, but let's face it, 10 mph on the treadmill isn't exactly higher math to figure!) other than when the conveyor belt started churning and I thought I was going to be thrown from the train, then I knew it was too fast. :eek: After you have just forced me to apply myself by looking at my notes of the plan, I now know that the on should have been at a 5k to 10k pace. Oopsie!! :o

The plan for the weekend...well, if the moon and the stars align just right, and the course isn't too crowded, and I've gotten a bit of sleep the night before (5:30am race start both days), and my (going on) 3 week illness (that has almost subsided other than a nagging cough) doesn't feck things up, then maybe the half will be a race....but the full will be just for fun. I will probably stop and have my photo taken with plenty of Disney characters on the full, and get my money's worth out of the water and food stations, and maybe even try out their loo facilities. Who knows??!! ;):):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

3 week illness

Have you considered pulling out of one of the runs? A half race, followed by a next day marathon, can't be good for your poor sugar-and-chlorine-deprived immune system.

(Unasked for advice, feel free to tell me to sling my hook)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Have you considered pulling out of one of the runs? A half race, followed by a next day marathon, can't be good for your poor sugar-and-chlorine-deprived immune system.

(Unasked for advice, feel free to tell me to sling my hook)

Awww...that's so sweet of you to care. :D And chlorine deprived is right!!!! :mad: But, but, but....pull out of one of the races and NOT get my Goofy medal and tshirt???? Bite your tongue!!!! ;) To be honest with you, I don't know if it's because I was so sick and low on energy for a few weeks...or if it's because I'm off the sugar and my diet has improved to something that resembles the pyramid (it is still a pyramid, isn't it??), but I feel better than I have in a long while. Training wasn't very high quality while I was sick, but I hit all the sessions and I know I can get around both days no problem.....the main question will be can I hold a sub 8 min/mile pace on the half to get a PB....and because I've been sick and all that that brings, I'm not sure. But I've got my Boardsie top with me to wear on the half to bring me some Irish luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

3 week illness? Again unsolicited advice, look after yourself, don't do any long term damage and don't worry about PB's. Most of all enjoy it young lady :)

• Advertisement

+1 the dance is in April. Go easy easy this weekend. Enjoy it with the sugar free extra energy. Back off and walk when you need. Maybe 19 main run 1 main walk..

Oh and feel free to treat yourself to a 501kcal sin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Have a great weekend DD.

Who Let The Dogs Out....?

Plan: 5 miles easy

Well...I spent so much time over on banner_phenix's log that I will make this brief......:o

Lovely evening.....50 some degrees today.....met my friend and his dog after work......we had to go slow because his dog had hiked 4.5 miles today and was dragging @ss :confused:......down Main Street....down Court Street (hello to Luna (very sweet border collie)...hello to Freddie (very sweet beagle))...around a court I can't remember the name of.....back down Court Street (hello again to Freddie).....back down Main Street.....into clinic parking lot and damn, we've only gone 4.77 miles......ran circles in the parking lot until the watch beeped 5 miles.

This was a very S-L-O-W easy run. Very slow. Probably the slowest 5 mile run I've done in ages. Damn dog. But, it was easy on the body. Perhaps the dog knows best considering what I'm facing in a few days. ;)

Actual: 5.01 miles in 48:43 for an average snail's pace of 9:43 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Have a super, super trip DD.

I'm the very last person to be telling you this but as everyone else has said; do take it easy:D

Goofy and his pals are very, very lucky to have you joining them and I can't wait to read the race reports.

Ugh!! Why do we dream crazy things before a race or travel?? I dreamt last night that I was getting ready to board the plane to Florida and I had left all my luggage in the car...and I had left all my money on the bathroom sink at home!!! Note to self: don't leave luggage in the car, and put my money (that is still sitting on the bathroom sink) in my wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Have fun in Florida - was chatting to someone in MIA today and it's a nice 28 degrees there so enjoy and be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Double D CTC! Please accept my sincerest apologies for not being in touch in recent times. I have been getting email updates with each and every ounce of training and non-training information so rest assured I’m following your craziness as much as ever; despite your absence from the convenience of what was known previously as the A/R/T forum.

So all in all I wish you a very Happy Christmas, a healthy and prosperous New Year, my condolences on the Christmas eve incident, my grief for the loss of your mojo, my joy for the return of your mojo, my sympathies for your taper madness, my best wishes for the weekend ahead and my kudos on the sugar ban. I’m sure I’ve left something out but you get it right?! ;)

By the way, might I just say that your idea of a ‘loss of mojo’ is wildly different to that of the general population! You were still killing it – just not in the way (mentally or physically) that YOU wanted or expected of yourself. You’ve been ill. Give your poor body a break – it’s been very good to you!

Boston is 13 weeks from Monday. You’re well into your training. I, on the other hand, ran a measly 20 miles in total last week – you’re all over it! We finally booked our trip with the marathon tour operator so the hassle has been taking out of all the arrangements. We’ll be landing in Boston around lunchtime on the Friday, and leaving on the Tuesday night. I am very excited now! About the trip – not so much about the marathon just yet!! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This may be a Mickey Mouse race, but dont Goof around! No Minnie breaks, or Donald Ducking out at any stage! Ill be Enchanted to hear how you do, Princess!

@cl....woo hoo!!! Boston here we come! But a nice break for you will only pay you dividends in April. You were born w/both speed and stamina, so just mind your foot and you'll be grand.

@Oryx....wow, such poetry! I am impressed!!

At Dulles airport now....ready for a nap....been up since 2:30.....blech....

• Advertisement

Up again at 2:30 to catch shuttle to start. The new plan is to take both days easy and enjoy the combined 39.3 training/fun miles. Off I go.....with my Boards top on!

Advertisement