Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Trainer

Holy crap, my legs feel great....and I'm wondering which of the following possibilities could have caused this awesome feeling tonight:

A) I received my order of uber-cool and aerodynamic (code for "tight") Under Armour muscle top and knickers (no Daisy Dukes at my age!) that, in the right light and at the right angle, make me look sort of tough-girl buff - sort of. So I decided to cop the attitude and wear them for tonight's session.

B) My weight was down again this morning so I took advantage of this opportunity to treat myself to spaghetti for lunch and pig out on chocolate this afternoon. Extra carbs and extra sugar! Life is good.

C) Caps are playing tonight and it's pretty much do or die to make the playoffs. High intensity game with a peppy tempo. Unfortunately things don't look good for my boys in red...but the tension makes for good spinning.

D) Taper is working and the body is feeling rested.

Resistance was low, cadence was high (getting used to this).....21.91 miles in approximately an hour.

Tempo

Today and tonight were a mixed bag of goods:

~ I woke up with a runny nose, drippy throat, some sneezing....but I don't feel too bad. Could be allergies (though I don't tend to think of myself as an allergy sufferer), but I did take in plenty of orange juice just to be safe.

~ I purchased a new pair of runners today because I was starting to worry I had too many miles on the pairs I've been wearing, but tonight I was feeling a bit of something from my heel to my hip when my right foot planted in these new shoes that I didn't like. Is this normal with new runners - do they just need some miles under their belt?

~ I ate very poorly today (only 3 peanut butter crackers for lunch plus plenty of other deficient food items that we won't waste our time discussing) and wonder if that contributed to my legs feeling heavy tonight.

~ On paper, my run tonight looks pretty good (at least from my perspective), but I think the effort expended was more than it should have been for the results I got.

Plan called for 6 miles - 2 miles easy, 3 miles short tempo, 1 mile easy.

Actual splits:
    2 easy miles - 8:10, 8:08
    3 at short tempo - 7:09, 7:14, 7:04
    1.24 easy miles - 9:03, 2:09 (8:55 pace)

6.24 miles in 49:00.59 for an average pace of 7:51 min/mile

That last fast mile was a push. I looked at my watch 3/4 of the way into that last fast mile and my pace was 6:58 at that moment, so obviously I couldn't hold that pace for the final 1/4 of a mile. What makes me shake my head at that mile is I basically did that exact same pace on Saturday after having done 12 miles prior...so why after only 4 miles is it so hard?

Any way....this was an okay session. Not great, but okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tempo

~ I purchased a new pair of runners today because I was starting to worry I had too many miles on the pairs I've been wearing, but tonight I was feeling a bit of something from my heel to my hip when my right foot planted in these new shoes that I didn't like. Is this normal with new runners - do they just need some miles under their belt?

Ah finally a little bit of taper madness setting in. Are they the same model or a different shoe altogether. My advice would be to stay away from those runners till after the big day - probably a little late to be introducing them if you intend to use them in the race. Your present ones wont disintegrate into nothing through wear over the next two weeks even though you might be worrying about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah finally a little bit of taper madness setting in.

Haha - I was just about to quote the following and say the same thing...!
    ~ I woke up with a runny nose, drippy throat, some sneezing....but I don't feel too bad. Could be allergies (though I don't tend to think of myself as an allergy sufferer), but I did take in plenty of orange juice just to be safe.

Any way....this was an okay session. Not great, but okay.

You're going great. Training has been phenomenal and you are so ready for an awesome marathon. You are healthy and prepared! Enjoy the rest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

claralara wrote: »
    Training has been phenomenal

In fact, if you had your training on some sort of deliciously pedantic spreadsheet, I would consider selling my soul (if I had children, I'd sell them) for a bit of copyright usage in advance of Berlin in September.. :cool:

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah finally a little bit of taper madness setting in. Are they the same model or a different shoe altogether. My advice would be to stay away from those runners till after the big day - probably a little late to be introducing them if you intend to use them in the race. Your present ones wont disintegrate into nothing through wear over the next two weeks even though you might be worrying about that.

So this is what the mind does to you during madness - you start to worry about crazy things like if the shoes have worn out? Ugh!! (I've even been wondering about clothing - tight or loose - aerodynamics or not? Gahhhh......)

Yes, the shoes are the same make and model as the last two I purchased and am currently wearing - just a different color. I did hesitate about purchasing them this close to the race, but I just had to do it. Couldn't stand not having new shoes as an option. While standing at the checkout counter yesterday with my new runners (and with the new free running shirt the owner threw in just because...) I was confident I'd be sporting these new babies on the big day. How could I not? They looked so fast. BUT, after last night's run and after waking up this morning to calves that knew something was amiss (and after reading your wise advice), I will save these for some easy runs after the marathon to break them in properly.

claralara wrote: »
    In fact, if you had your training on some sort of deliciously pedantic spreadsheet, I would consider selling my soul (if I had children, I'd sell them) for a bit of copyright usage in advance of Berlin in September.. :cool:

You're a crazy mess, cl. Good luck this weekend. Smash the 6 hours!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BUT, after last night's run and after waking up this morning to calves that knew something was amiss (and after reading your wise advice), I will save these for some easy runs after the marathon to break them in properly.

The same goes for the rest of your gear, by the way - whatever top, shorts, socks... you wear for the marathon should be well broken in by now. Don't wear a t-shirt for its first real wear on race day and discover it has a seam that rubs, or find that your new socks are giving you a blister. Don't go mad carbol-loading the day before the race, eat a normal pre-run breakfast - follow your regular routine as much as possible.
    If you haven't already, take a look at the novices thread from last year, especially the stuff in the 2/3 weeks before the marathon. A lot of it is Dublin-specific, or is mainly for slower runners, but there's also a lot in there about preparing for race day that will also apply to you.

RayCun wrote: »
    The same goes for the rest of your gear, by the way - whatever top, shorts, socks... you wear for the marathon should be well broken in by now. Don't wear a t-shirt for its first real wear on race day and discover it has a seam that rubs, or find that your new socks are giving you a blister. Don't go mad carbol-loading the day before the race, eat a normal pre-run breakfast - follow your regular routine as much as possible.
    If you haven't already, take a look at the novices thread from last year, especially the stuff in the 2/3 weeks before the marathon. A lot of it is Dublin-specific, or is mainly for slower runners, but there's also a lot in there about preparing for race day that will also apply to you.

Why does all our ability to reason and think logically go totally out the window? I guess I'll just have to save all the new running duds I got until after the race too. ;)

That is a great thread - the novices thread. So...no rain gear, too hot. Clip toenails, or have them removed. Chocolate chip cookies, while not the typical marathon energy food of choice, can be eaten on the run race day. But I think my favorite little gem I have stumbled upon thus far (still reading through the thread - thanks for linking it for me!!) is this...because I have definitely entered the world of....

Taper Madness!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Speaking of taper madness....I just remembered that while brushing my teeth this morning before work I was doing a little math in my head. I was thinking about Krusty's mile run time - 4:57 - and then thinking about my best mile time - 7:01 - and then I rounded off to determine that he is faster than me by 2 minutes (okay, 2:04, but this is early morning brushing of teeth math...). I then multiplied those 2 minutes by 26.2 miles and came up with 52.4 minutes.....then rounded up again to an hour.....which then told me that I should be about an hour slower than Krusty in the marathon....therefore, if he is targeting 2:42, then my time should be 3:42. OMG....who does this?? Who knows a total stranger's time in a mile run....then uses that to figure a "realistic" target for their own race......all at 5:45 in the morning while brushing their teeth?? OMG....and why was I even thinking of Krusty at 5:45 in the morning????? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Speaking of taper madness....I just remembered that while brushing my teeth this morning before work I was doing a little math in my head. I was thinking about Krusty's mile run time - 4:57 - and then thinking about my best mile time - 7:01 - and then I rounded off to determine that he is faster than me by 2 minutes (okay, 2:04, but this is early morning brushing of teeth math...). I then multiplied those 2 minutes by 26.2 miles and came up with 52.4 minutes.....then rounded up again to an hour.....which then told me that I should be about an hour slower than Krusty in the marathon....therefore, if he is targeting 2:42, then my time should be 3:42. OMG....who does this?? Who knows a total stranger's time in a mile run....then uses that to figure a "realistic" target for their own race......all at 5:45 in the morning while brushing their teeth?? OMG....and why was I even thinking of Krusty at 5:45 in the morning????? :eek::eek::eek:

Teehee, taper madness, gotta love it! Before the New York marathon last November, I had a dream that I was running but lost my shoe so had to hobble around the course, holding onto railings and walls to keep my balance. And when I woke up, did I think to myself, Jeez taper madness is striking? No, I thought to myself, must tell OH to bring spare pair of shoes with him so if I lose one, I can ring him from the course and get him to meet me to give me the new pair.... Hope you have a great race, you really deserve it after your training. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Have another read of that wonderful taper madness article again and you won't be at all surprised you were thinking of Krusty's fast miles this morning.:)

And on the subject of teeth brushing; I'm at the germ phobic stage of taper madness at the moment and keep yelling at my poor kids not to accidentally use my tooth brush.
    I think they are in the brink of calling social services, both parents running a marathon, will they survive till race day???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think you got your maths wrong. I believe that it is I who have to run 52 minutes (ok, let's call it an hour) faster than your marathon time, which means I should be aiming for 2:25 or better, and makes me a massive under-performer. Thanks for ruining my day. ;)

racheljev wrote: »
    Teehee, taper madness, gotta love it! Before the New York marathon last November, I had a dream that I was running but lost my shoe so had to hobble around the course, holding onto railings and walls to keep my balance. And when I woke up, did I think to myself, Jeez taper madness is striking? No, I thought to myself, must tell OH to bring spare pair of shoes with him so if I lose one, I can ring him from the course and get him to meet me to give me the new pair.... Hope you have a great race, you really deserve it after your training. :)

That story is SO hilarious!! :) Thanks. At this very moment, I just hope to enjoy the whole marathon experience on the day....but if you ask me in an hour I'll tell you that I want to smash the qualifying time for Boston....then in another hour I'll profess that I'll be happy to just finish the race..... UGH!!!
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Have another read of that wonderful taper madness article again and you won't be at all surprised you were thinking of Krusty's fast miles this morning.:)

And on the subject of teeth brushing; I'm at the germ phobic stage of taper madness at the moment and keep yelling at my poor kids not to accidentally use my tooth brush.
    I think they are in the brink of calling social services, both parents running a marathon, will they survive till race day???:)

Your poor kids....... ;)
    I think you got your maths wrong. I believe that it is I who have to run 52 minutes (ok, let's call it an hour) faster than your marathon time, which means I should be aiming for 2:25 or better, and makes me a massive under-performer. Thanks for ruining my day. ;)

Oh god. We're both fecked then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I witnessed the 4:57, he was coasting for the 1st 3 laps, should be 4:30 - does that make the maths work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oh god. We're both fecked then. ;)
    I can even picture you saying that with an Irish accent. :)
    Beepbeep wrote:
    I witnessed the 4:57, he was coasting for the 1st 3 laps, should be 4:30 - does that make the maths work
    My Garmin measured the course short. It was only 0.8342 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Give it socks Dory.
    But wait till the 20mile mark to do so.

Give it socks Dory.
    But wait till the 20mile mark to do so.

No one's ever told me to give it socks before. :)
    You're a man of few words, PN. At 20 miles, the socks are coming off. ;)

Trainer

22.17 math-obsessed miles on the trainer in just over an hour. I've thought of every angle and a million ways to predict my marathon time.....determined all the layers of acceptable times....entertained the idea of "banking" time and how it can be my "get out of jail free" card if needed....and convinced myself that all of these fancy calculations only prove that I will be totally prepared come race day. Oh, and I've taken to emailing the race organizer to ask a multitude of a few questions that weren't addressed on their website. Again, just doing my homework to be best prepared come race day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

entertained the idea of "banking" time and how it can be my "get out of jail free" card if needed....

You should try to keep the pace even through the race, or even accelerate through the race, NOT slow down through the race. Running faster at the start is an inefficient use of your energy, and slowing down later is very demoralising - you'll have people coming past you, and the little voice in your head telling you that you're already slowing down a little, wouldn't it be easier if you slowed down a bit more?
    Pick a time you'd be happy to finish in, and go out at a pace that will get you in at that time. If you feel good later on in the race, speed up and take something more off that time. (Or run it like theRoadRunner - 10 mile jog, 10 mile tempo, 10k flat out)

RayCun wrote: »
    You should try to keep the pace even through the race, or even accelerate through the race, NOT slow down through the race. Running faster at the start is an inefficient use of your energy, and slowing down later is very demoralising - you'll have people coming past you, and the little voice in your head telling you that you're already slowing down a little, wouldn't it be easier if you slowed down a bit more?
    Pick a time you'd be happy to finish in, and go out at a pace that will get you in at that time. If you feel good later on in the race, speed up and take something more off that time. (Or run it like theRoadRunner - 10 mile jog, 10 mile tempo, 10k flat out)

No worries. If there is one thing I have learned during this process is that I like my runs much better when I start out slower and finish up strong. I'm planning on a negative split, so that's how I will approach the day. When my mind was flying with mathematical equations last night, the "banking" theory was just one that was too tempting (and fun to compute) to resist.

• Advertisement

Yoga

90 minutes of yoga.

Woo hoo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

DD- to take your mind off the taper madness....a non-running related Q:

Are decent Easter eggs available in US supermarkets/stores (Florida area)next week?

Heading to Orlando with the brood next week and need to know if the Easter Bunny needs to travel in the suitcase or can automagically appear on-site?

Izoard wrote: »
    DD- to take your mind off the taper madness....a non-running related Q:

Are decent Easter eggs available in US supermarkets/stores (Florida area)next week?

Heading to Orlando with the brood next week and need to know if the Easter Bunny needs to travel in the suitcase or can automagically appear on-site?

Here in the states we have plenty of candy eggs (Reeses is my fave!) and chocolate bunnies (Russell Stover or a better brand - stay away from cheap chocolate) and jelly beans and other types of candy that is packaged in pastel colors just for the occassion, if that's what you mean...and we have a good stock of real eggs that you can color, but you'll need to either boil the eggs or blow them first. You can also buy the plastic eggs that you can fill will jelly beans and hershey kisses or whatever you're heart's desire is. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of Easter baskets at stores already filled with colorful plastic eggs and chocolates and bunnies too. There is usually a surplus of confections here in the states. Walmart will probably have everything you need in the "Easter Department".

I hope I answered your question...if not, I'll try again.

You going to Disney World? If so, I am VERY confident Disney World will have plenty of Easter goodies for all your Easter needs. I bet there will even be an Easter Mickey and Minnie!! Disney knows how to market!!

Here in the states we have plenty of candy eggs (Reeses is my fave!) and chocolate bunnies (Russell Stover or a better brand - stay away from cheap chocolate) and jelly beans and other types of candy that is packaged in pastel colors just for the occassion, if that's what you mean...and we have a good stock of real eggs that you can color, but you'll need to either boil the eggs or blow them first. You can also buy the plastic eggs that you can fill will jelly beans and hershey kisses or whatever you're heart's desire is. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of Easter baskets at stores already filled with colorful plastic eggs and chocolates and bunnies too. There is usually a surplus of confections here in the states. Walmart will probably have everything you need in the "Easter Department".

I hope I answered your question...if not, I'll try again.

You going to Disney World? If so, I am VERY confident Disney World will have plenty of Easter goodies for all your Easter needs. I bet there will even be an Easter Mickey and Minnie!! Disney knows how to market!!

Many thanks DD - always a bit confusing with our American cousins.

You give the world Reeses and then spoil it all by calling Hershey's "chocolate":)

Izoard wrote: »
    Many thanks DD - always a bit confusing with our American cousins.

You give the world Reeses and then spoil it all by calling Hershey's "chocolate":)

Oh....if you want to talk chocolate, then I agree that Hershey's is slumming it. My fave chocolate is from a chocolatier in NY, Jacques Torres...aka, Mr. Chocolate. To die for. I order it in bulk! :)

Good luck on Sunday....and enjoy your American holiday.

11 Mile Run/Dress Rehearsal

Today's run was the last long run before my very first marathon. In fact, this time one week from now it will all be over. Wow. I've put in 15 weeks of marathon training so far, and with just one more week to go I am filled with so many thoughts - thoughts that are all too familiar to just about all of you - the biggest of which is probably whether or not this plan, the way I've approached and executed this plan, and the amount and quality of effort I've put into this plan has properly prepared me for race day.

Okay...so Krusty suggested that I do today's run as follows: 8 miles easy, 3 miles PMP. I decided to translate that to miles 1 thru 6 at approximately 8:20-8:30 (just like last Saturday's run), miles 7 thru 9 at approximately 7:45 (reeling it in with one week to go - but still slightly sub PMP), then coast easy on the last two miles. I also decided, based on a few things RayCun had shared with me this week, to go ahead and wear everything I was planning on wearing race day, plus I loaded myself down with the gels and shot blocks I was planning on having with me. I'm so glad I did this - I have a few adjustments to make, but no biggies.

Tummy wasn't feeling too good before I headed out this morning, but it wasn't bad enough to prevent me from going on my run. Running gear on...gels and blocks in various arm bands and pockets....and off I went. I immediately knew that the 12 shot blocks (two packages of 6) I had stored in my pant's back pocket was not going to work as the weight of the blocks and the bounce of my gait was pulling my pants down. I stopped and I decided to carry the shot blocks in my left hand. No problem. I even stashed them in my top at times to see if that would work, and it did, which is good in case I would need both hands free to grab water or something.

I wanted to take in two gels on the fly today as practice, so I took the first one after mile 3 and then the second one after mile 6. All went well, but I noticed a good bit more effort was required to grab/open/consume the second gel while running at a faster pace than it did while running at a slower pace. I did have additional tummy trouble at miles 5 and 10, but I honestly can't say it was because of the gels since I was already having an issue, and since I've consumed these on two other runs with no problems. I will, however, try them again on my Wednesday run just to be sure. Otherwise, I know the blocks definitely do not cause me any issues other than thirst.

The run itself was good. It poured down rain for miles 2 and 3, then the sun came out by mile 6, which made it pretty warm and sweaty. The first 6 miles were grand - faster than I had intended, but short of drastic measures I could not go any slower. The (sub) PMP miles were fine, but compared to how easy the first 6 were, these were more of an effort (tummy effects?), but I stayed close to the pace I wanted to stay at, so I'm happy with that. After 9.33 miles, I decided to finish the run in my field to be closer to my own loo facilities. :o

Actual splits:
    Easy 6 miles: 8:12, 8:13, 8:06, 8:10, 8:16, 8:03
    3 (sub) PMP: 7:40, 7:39, 7:34
    Easy 2 miles in the field: 9:04, 9:27

11 miles in 1:30:32 for an average pace of 8:13 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Perfect running - it's all teed up now, just smack it down the fairway!

Trainer

26.2 steady miles in 1 hour 20 minutes. Coincidence with the mileage? I think not. ;) I visualized where I'd be (on my imaginary marathon course) and how I might feel at each mile. And, like I've learned through my many weeks of long runs, my cycling is better if I start out easy to warmup, which then makes it easier to go harder as the miles tick by.

With this session, I passed the 2,000k mark in the SBR Challenge. Yay! I know I have done all the miles on the trainer, but the time I put in the saddle was honest and the effort was solid. The plan has always been to wait until after marathon training is completed to get the bike out on the road....so that will be happening in the next few weeks.

Looking at this week, I have two more runs, two more spins, and one yoga session before the big day. Bring it on. From this point forward I'm looking at this marathon as something I am going to enjoy. It's my first, so I will limit the pressure and expectations while still putting out my best effort, if that makes any sense. Yee-haw! I say, let the fun begin!! :D

Hey DD - all the best for next weekend - sounds like you are in perfect shape to nail it.

Looking forward to this log turning to triathlon in due course:)

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm pretty much all ready to go - it is time. When I signed up for this marathon way back in October, I chose this particular one because of its location (only an hour and a half from home), scenery (gorgeous area), and because the course description said "loop, mostly flat, roads." Ha! That's a cruel joke played by someone out there who obviously isn't running this marathon. Elevation gain on this course is 1923 feet, which is hardly flat. Oh well...whatever. What goes up must come down. I may not achieve that 3:30 on this course, but I'll be fine. :)

Here's the course per the website:
    http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=430307

Advertisement