Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Bon Chance Hoochie DoubleDee
    Run with heart, run with glee
    When those around you fade away
    Smile, push on and save the day :)

OMG.....brilliant!!!! :D
    I will cherish this poem forever! ;)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck Dory, not that you will need it. Your training has been inspiring, you are some tough cookie :) I'll be hanging around online waiting with bated breath to hear how you are doing.

Thanks, Bally8! Out of consideration of you having to wait with bated breath, I will try to cross that finish line post haste! :)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Oh my god youve even got mcos spouting poetry. You are a woman with an amazing effect on men. Either that or he has been drinking again.

Definitely been drinking. ;)
    DD i have to say i have admired your complete dedication and motivation you have shown over the last few months and for that you deserve a fantastic result this weekend.
    All the work is done now you just need to carry that work and confidence into the race. Remember the real race starts at mile 22 and when the going gets tough and it starts to hurt just remember all the sacrifices you have made, the training you have put in and that you have a group of online followers rooting for you:)

I wish you an excellent race, I do not need to wish you luck as you have done the work and left nothing to chance. Give it socks...cannot wait for the race report and remember you can always hurt that little bit more. I will be doing a little Irish jig when you cross the finish line.

Thank you, jb. I will definitely remember your kind words when I'm out there cashing in on my work. With a 6:30 start on Saturday morning (11:30 your time), make sure you've got your dancing shoes on at the appropriate time for my live race cam finish! :)

Trainer

A very quick and easy 10 miles in about 35 minutes. Tomorrow is a travel day, so this was it until the horn sounds on Saturday.

Pre-Race Thoughts

The work is done and I am ready...as are my family and friends who have had to endure listening to me chattering on and on and on about my training. I think they will be as relieved to have this behind me as I will be....they just don't realize that there will be another goal after this one that they will have to suffer through all over again. :o

Okay...what are my expectations? Well, when I signed up for this marathon I told myself I just wanted to finish it...but that didn't last long as thoughts of going a sub 4 hours surfaced rather quickly. Then I did a little math and some fancy computations and determined that I should be capable of a 3:50, based on my last half marathon time. And then along came the Irish Boards.....and the crazy talk about the possibility of 3:30, which made me dizzy with prospect. I mean, 26 x 8 min miles? Me? I'm a swimmer not a runner....and fairly new to running to boot. But then I started to think that it could be possible.

If there has been one weakness in my training, I would say it's the lack of any significant hill work since I injured myself running intervals on Feb 7th. After that injury, I protected my hip to a fault. Prior to that injury, I hit hills head on and with determination. We shall see how/if their absence in the last half of my training will hurt me on this particular course. I do think I tried to make up for their absence by pushing the pace on my long runs, never really intending to have the faster pace be my PMP, but rather to have that faster pace be the "lack-of-hills" equalizer, if that makes sense....even though I know it's trading apples for oranges, but it was what I was willing to bargain with.

Regarding Saturday's course, it is more or less three loops. The first loop is 13 miles, second loop is 7 miles, third loop is 6 miles, approximately. I will use each loop as progression points, starting out easy and increasing my pace at each point. At least that's my plan. And I will hope my tummy behaves and that I stay hydrated and take in proper energy. Tall order, but doable.

So....3:30? For my very first marathon on a hilly course? I haven't a clue, really. I'm willing to give it a go, but between you and me, and for reasons associated with qualifying for Boston, I'll be more than delighted to go under 3:40.... But I'll have one eye on 3:30 too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Very very best of luck tomorrow DD... you'll glide over that course with ease after all your hard work :)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    there will be another goal after this one that they will have to suffer through all over again

Of course there will... your job is now to keep the Boards ART-ists enthralled and entertained :D
    Right get out there and get this marathon over with so you can start training for Galway !:)

Thanks, littlebug! :)

Well, we've made it here and all checked in. Hotel is awesome, expo sucked, and my bib number is 93. If I remember correctly, Marthastew's favorite number is 3, and her Connemara bib number was all 3s and a 9.....so I'm hoping my number will be as lucky for me as hers was for her.

Will take a short nap, pasta dinner, then to bed early. The 6:30 start will come awfully early. Oh....and the hills are all over the place here. They are littering the course. Oh well. It is what it is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thanks, littlebug! :)

Well, we've made it here and all checked in. Hotel is awesome, expo sucked, and my bib number is 93. If I remember correctly, Marthastew's favorite number is 3, and her Connemara bib number was all 3s and a 9.....so I'm hoping my number will be as lucky for me as hers was for her.

Will take a short nap, pasta dinner, then to bed early. The 6:30 start will come awfully early. Oh....and the hills are all over the place here. They are littering the course. Oh well. It is what it is. ;)

93 is SUCH a lucky number, I think you might even win this race:D:D:D

Sleep tight and we'll be thinking of you tomorrow.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck C. Most importantly, enjoy it, if I could go and domy first all over again I would.

Have fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best of luck 2moro, looking forward to the race report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey DD. The very best of luck tomorrow. Your training and dedication deserve the very best of results and I hope it goes as well a possible for you. However, and in plus one to RQ's post above, don't underestimate the importance and experience of your first marathon. Mine was just under a year ago and I imagine it will always be the most special to me despite finishing in about 4 hours 30!! Take care and enjoy!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said :) I'll be sitting on the refresh button waiting for the good news! :):)

All of you guys and gals are THE best! Each of you will be helping me do a piece of this marathon tomorrow, so I will thank you in advance. I promise to enjoy this experience first and foremost (great advice), and the results will come from there.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Enjoy yourself, and have a great race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck DD! Run smart and have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Dory
    You've been a breath of fresh air to the forum and I can't wait to read your race report so make it a good one :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Excellent marathon debut. Congrats - great time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Excellent marathon debut. Congrats - great time. :)

Do tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey! Real fast.....3:42 which, for this course, I am delighted with. I think i was 30th woman.....may have placed in my age.....will be back with more. I did all I could do, so I am happy. Can't wait to see what Garmin elevations are because the hill were ridiculous. I'm ready to sign up for a flat marathon ASAP to see what I can really do!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey! Real fast.....3:42 which, for this course, I am delighted with. I think i was 30th woman.....may have placed in my age.....will be back with more. I did all I could do, so I am happy. Can't wait to see what Garmin elevations are because the hill were ridiculous. I'm ready to sign up for a flat marathon ASAP to see what I can really do!!!!!! :D

Great time on that course. I took a look at the elevation profile from the website you posted last week and I went like :eek:

I think it has something like double the elevation gain as Connemara.

Definitely look up a flatter marathon in future, but for now enjoy the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Congrats DD on a great debut, looking forward to the report. I suspect I'll need a cuppa in hand for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Super stuff, looking forward to the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats DD! Excellent result and great to see you smash what you thought you could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super stuff. Delighted for you. You've set the tone for the rest of us to follow over the next few weeks. Congrats! Now Pinot Grigio, or something with bubbles!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You are allowed to take tomorrow as a rest day, ok? No need to do a lsr till at least Monday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats! Great time. Looking forward to your race report. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, super time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great running!

Heyyyyyy!!!!!!

Omg.....this course had hills on top of hills (will elaborate more in my report tomorrow)....and all the veterans I chatted with (including one AWESOME woman who, as of today, completed 63 marathons - her time today was 3:2x and she is older than me!) said this is one of the toughest courses they have ever done. The second half of the course was actually tougher than the first half....don't think I ever hit a wall, but I did not negative split....and I did not go under 3:40.....BUT, I could not have given any more on this day on this course, so I am delighted.

The best thing (and it does pay to get older!!) is I won my age group (so, Marthastew, you were sort of correct in your prediction). Woo hoo! Okay, now I find a flatter course to run between now and some time not too far in the future because I know I can do WAY better....3:30, here we come!!!!

Report and Garmin tomorrow. Thought about you folks tons today....and even wore my Achill half marathon race shirt in your honor. Until tomorrow..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cracking debut HDD well done well deserved. Happy Easter. Eat lots of chocolate !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant result DD :D Can't wait for the report!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done Dory.... :):)

Advertisement