Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Will there be pacers in your marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thanks, but the truth is I am getting a little worried about the nutrition thing, especially since I was running out of gas at the 13 mile mark even after a few socializing breathers. And, once again, I have slipped into my bad habit of trying to run this one today faster than I should have. Before I started the run, I had in my head to pace around 8 min/mile....but the first couple of miles were faster than that....then I hate to slow down too much because I'd rather build then die....and then I didn't want to go above 8 min/mile at that point. I could go on, but you all have been there so need to beat this horse. Perhaps if I had stuck to my original plan to keep it at 8 min/mile, it wouldn't have been such an effort at the end, and I wouldn't have some question marks in my head. I'm still learning. :)

Oh...and thank god for good dental plans!!! ;)

You learned a couple of important things from this run:

1.) You're not disciplined pacewise, and if you start the race fast, you'll stick to that fast pace.
    2.) That if you run the first half at 7:45 pace, you'll empty the tank too early.

From your earlier long runs, you can pick up the latter pace if you start at the right speed. In the marathon, you'll need to be consciously holding back for the first half- it should feel way too easy over the first few miles. So maybe run 13.1@8m/mile (or 7:55), and start picking up the pace from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

^^^^^^^ +1

DD get realistic about this PMP now! The first 2 hours of the Marathon ought to be right inside your comfort zone. The first hour itself is about controlling the pace so that is slow enough. You will have a breakfast of champions inside you. You will have water stations. The thing for you is to put reins on your engine. If you are still feeling good with 10k to go sure you can let go.

I'd advise hanging with the 3:30 pacers if available on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »
    What did you eat before the run? When I am getting ready for a long run (13 miles plus) I eat a big bowl of cereal and 4 slices of bread and sometimes a bananna or two about 60-90 mins beforehand (that's also my pre ironman meal :) ). It's important to make sure you are well fueled beforehand. If you burn off 100 calories a mile (like me) that's 2,600 in a marathon so you need to have the tank topped up at the start and use gels or similar to keep the tank topped up as much as you can as opposed to trying to rectify a fuel deficit from the start. In saying that I know a sub 3hr runner who eats a small bowl of cereal before a race and doesn't fuel on the run.

More experienced runners will comment on the pacing thing, but for me it's about not getting too hung up on the pace at the start and relaxing into the run. On a long run you have a lot of time to relax into a desired pace (and perhaps all the stop - starting is not allowing you to relax).

Before the run I had about a cup and a half of dry Honey Nut Cheerios, a banana and 2 or 3 Oreo cookies. And all that was consumed approximately within 2 to 3 hours of the run. My biggest problem, however, may have been the lack of nutrition the 24 hours prior as I had no real meal to speak of, just one slice of pizza at lunch then the rest was poor snacking. Didn't even eat dinner since hubby was out of town and I tend to not bother much with food prep when I'm by myself. I am conscious of this, so I will improve leading up to the race.

RayCun wrote: »
    Will there be pacers in your marathon?

Not to my knowledge. I have my Garmin, so that will have to do. I just need to figure out pace strategy and stick with it.
    You learned a couple of important things from this run:

1.) You're not disciplined pacewise, and if you start the race fast, you'll stick to that fast pace.
    2.) That if you run the first half at 7:45 pace, you'll empty the tank too early.

From your earlier long runs, you can pick up the latter pace if you start at the right speed. In the marathon, you'll need to be consciously holding back for the first half- it should feel way too easy over the first few miles. So maybe run 13.1@8m/mile (or 7:55), and start picking up the pace from there?

Definitely not disciplined pace wise, and I do know that. It's psychological, but I suppose you already diagnosed that little gem. As far as emptying the tank too early, I think it was a combination of poor nutrition and pace yesterday - not just one or the other.

You bring up one of the questions that's been floating in my head...what pace is good to start with? I'm sure the answer is based on more dynamic information than you (or I) have access to, but I definitely agree it should be comfortable....and I like the sound of "way too easy". So, I assume that means slower than target average pace? Any thoughts on where to be at the halfway point?
    ^^^^^^^ +1

DD get realistic about this PMP now! The first 2 hours of the Marathon ought to be right inside your comfort zone. The first hour itself is about controlling the pace so that is slow enough. You will have a breakfast of champions inside you. You will have water stations. The thing for you is to put reins on your engine. If you are still feeling good with 10k to go sure you can let go.

I'd advise hanging with the 3:30 pacers if available on the day

Continuing with pace theme from above.....okokok.....my Garmin will be my friend. I have one more 20 mile run next weekend.....so I will eat smart this week (all week long)....and I will pace myself better on Saturday. It's 20 miles at PMP plus 15 seconds. I will commit to a PMP of 8:00, so my pace for this run needs to be 8:15. Perhaps I will do a progression run of 6 miles at 8:30, 6 miles at 8:15, 6 miles at 8:00 and see what I have in me for the last two. I will need at least one stop for water, but I will snack on the fly.

Hill Running

I needed a change of scenery today so I decided to go and settle a score with a hill that got the best of me at the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot. I need to do a little more hill running, plus I wanted to test out dpop's baby step technique on this one particular hill, so off I headed over the mountain and into the next county.

Gorgeous day. Practically perfect. The route I wanted to do is a one mile out and one mile back route - mostly uphill going out, and mostly down hill heading back. I decided I would do this 3 times as relaxed as I could be, paying attention to how I felt on the hardest climb, which is the first one. After a few stretches and deep breaths, I headed up the asphalt mountain....which turned out to be shorter than I remembered, but yet every bit as steep as I dreaded based on the panting and urgent desire to walk that occurred about a 1 1/2 minutes into the run. :eek: Good grief, my body went into a state of shock. Relax, relax. But it was amazing how the stress to the system immediately lessened as soon as the grade decreased. It took just a bit to get the body back under control and in a good place again, but soon enough all was back in order and the remaining slopes and hills I met seemed all the more manageable.

As far as technique goes, I did the climb three times and each time I tried to make my steps smaller, and I do think that helped. I noticed, however, that I was only planting on the ball of my foot the first time I climbed - but as my stride got shorter, more of the foot was planted. It seems logical to me, so I assume my observation is accurate. Any way....good session....beautiful surroundings....and the body was able to recover quickly from stressful moments.

Here are a few pics of the road I was on and the Blue Ridge Mountains in the backdrop.

2012-03-11_14-38-40_530.jpg

2012-03-11_14-39-07_462.jpg

2012-03-11_14-41-51_707.jpg

6.16 miles, 55:44.79, 9:03 min/mile

Trainer

Quick, easy spin on the trainer to sort the legs.

10 miles in approximately 35 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice pix, looks beautiful for running

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Amazing running territory. Jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Do you not have to worry about mountain lions in Virginia? (or maybe I'm just watching to much When Animals Attack :) )

griffin100 wrote: »
    Do you not have to worry about mountain lions in Virginia? (or maybe I'm just watching to much When Animals Attack :) )

Rumor has it, there are mountain lions in our area, but I've never seen one. I have seen a bob cat, plenty of black bears, coyotes, deer, snakes, and various and assorted small mammals and meat eating birds. Most animals in the wild are more afraid of us than we are of them - unless we get between them and their young or their food....or, in the case of the adorable yet plump groundhog, their den. Groundhogs are very bold and bossy. I have a few that live in our field and they get so mad at me sometimes when I'm out there running. I guess I cramp their style. ;)

Intervals

Intervals still scare me due to the injury I sustained while doing them, but because I truly believe they are a tool that can improve my running, I will continue to subject myself to these godawful sessions for the next 4 weeks....then I'm taking a break from them. Yay!

Treadmill readied, iPod pumping, tv on...and away I went. The first couple of miles were an easy breezy prelude to the meat of the session which was ten 1/4 mile bursts at a spiffy pace sandwiched between ten 1/4 mile recovery trots and then followed by a nice cool down. The first interval was too fast for my liking....I kept worrying about injury, so I decided I would slow it down. The next four slightly slower 1/4 miles were less worrisome for me, so, because my comfort level was in a good place, I decided to speed up the pace slightly for the final five.

Overall, I felt pretty good for this session. There was plenty of panting, but there's supposed to be, right? When my body is screaming and protesting like it was during these sprints, I always force my body to relax as much as possible....and I try to isolate the work to my legs (primarily) in my attempt to partition and conserve energy.

2 mile warm up....then 1/4 mile intervals (with 1/4 mile recovery intervals in between) at the following min/mile paces:
    1 - 6:19 (too fast for my comfort level)
    2 thru 5 - 6:40
    6 and 7 - 6:36
    8 and 9 - 6:31
    10 - 6:27
    3 mile cool down

10 miles total in 1:30:54

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I want your training!! :D

Genuinely cannot wait to read your marathon report! When is D-day again?

claralara wrote: »
    I want your training!! :D

Genuinely cannot wait to read your marathon report! When is D-day again?

D-day is April 7th - the day before Easter. Gulp. My head is starting to swim with all sorts of crazy nonsense....and I'm really starting to worry about energy during the run. I looked for Isogels, but I think they are European only....may revisit something else this weekend (Gu did not agree with me....and I'm wondering if it's just a matter of acclimation, because if it is, I'll start consuming these everyday just to get my body used to them if necessary). Am even considering Snickers bars (but they may melt)....or, as one of my friends suggested, Peeps! Just in time for Easter. I'm trying to convince my hubby to run with me as my food wagon (a little pasta...a little potato...), but he's not going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Hey Dory, fancy joining the "real" Virginia Tri club??

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/VirginiaTriathlonCyclingClub

big mce wrote: »
    Hey Dory, fancy joining the "real" Virginia Tri club??

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/VirginiaTriathlonCyclingClub

:D Ahhhh....you had me thinking for one brief moment you were from the Old Dominion! So, Virginia in Ireland? Had no idea. Heck yeah I'll join. Just check "like"....right? ;) You a member? Is that where you live?

Okay...so I clicked "like" for the Virginia Triathlon & Cycling Club on facebook per big mce's suggestion....and whose name appears as the (I think) winner of the Sportsman Duathlon series race 2? Matt Moloy!!! Is this the same Matt Molloy shotgun was chatting about? Okay...who the heck is Matt Molloy??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Okay...so I clicked "like" for the Virginia Triathlon & Cycling Club on facebook per big mce's suggestion....and whose name appears as the (I think) winner of the Sportsman Duathlon series race 2? Matt Moloy!!! Is this the same Matt Molloy shotgun was chatting about? Okay...who the heck is Matt Molloy??? ;)

He's a plastic paddy who is rather good at SBR stuff for his age. Well, actually among the best at SBR stuff for his age...

HDD I ate mars bars for my first marathon, tucked into my folded down rowing suit. They melted but I fuelled up on them with oblivious glee. Marathon 2 was hairy jelly babies. It was cold and I wore gloves that they stuck to en route to my gob. Marthon 3 was lucozade and bananas. Cumbersome. PB marathon was gels and water, all good.

So did you and Oryx decide on your breakfast partners yet ;)

He's a plastic paddy who is rather good at SBR stuff for his age. Well, actually among the best at SBR stuff for his age...

HDD I ate mars bars for my first marathon, tucked into my folded down rowing suit. They melted but I fuelled up on them with oblivious glee. Marathon 2 was hairy jelly babies. It was cold and I wore gloves that they stuck to en route to my gob. Marthon 3 was lucozade and bananas. Cumbersome. PB marathon was gels and water, all good.

So did you and Oryx decide on your breakfast partners yet ;)

Oooooo......so in addition to the sexy-wakey-uppy by a SBR dreamboat, we are now talking a full course breakfast too? Bonus! ;) Oryx and I are comparing notes and taking a March Madness type of bracketology strategy that started with the SBR stud sweet sixteen and is now down to the elite eight. To make it to the final four, we may need you lads to give us hoochies a titillating teaser of what we might be in store for. :D (Oryx, just follow my lead here....)

(what is a plastic paddy?)

Trainer

Great session. I don't know if it's the Irish Soda bread I made on Sunday that I've been eating with my homemade Leek and Potato soup which has given my poor diet a positive lift, or if it's the daily vitamins I've started taking (that make me nauseated for about an hour after I take them), but I felt really strong tonight. It was so nice outside today that I actually wanted to go for a proper recovery run after work, but when I considered that this would make the 4th day in a row of running, and when I took into consideration that I have a tempo run tomorrow, I settled on a spin-o-rama while watching my boys in ice win their 4th game in a row, thus breathing life back into their playoff hopes. Fingers crossed.

35 miles in approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Yep. It's a great wee club.

big mce wrote: »
    Yep. It's a great wee club.

If your club is looking for a member from the Viriginia across the pond, I'd be more than happy to join officially. But I'd want to be purchasing a club shirt so I can wear it proudly....assuming you have club shirts. :)

• Advertisement

8 Mile Tempo at PMP

Fantastic day that morphed into an even more fantastic evening...perfect for an evening tempo run along the Hawksbill Creek. Slipped out of work slightly early, and had sucked down three Clif shot bloks about 30 minutes before I headed out the door. Tropical Punch - I wanted to give them a go to see if I liked their flavor and if they agreed with me. I have some Clif energy gels to try this weekend too.

Upon contemplating this run's pace earlier in the day, I decided to keep it between 7:45 and 8:00....but as usual, a faster pace was determined within the first few strides. :confused: Because I started out cold and at a spiffy speed, the body was letting me know it's displeasure...but this is not an unfamiliar scene, so I just let it scream and yell at me until it decided that there was no use in protesting further. I knew on the fourth mile that I would need to ease off the gas to get through the next four miles, plus I knew the fifth mile was slightly uphill with the wind at my face, so I relaxed and slowed it down. I picked it back up for the last three miles.....and, even though I had pushed this run harder than I probably should have.....and, even though I was panting more than usual at this point in the run....I found another gear for the last mile. And it wasn't bad. Actually, it felt pretty good. I had Krusty with me on this last mile....thinking about his amazing mile last night.....and I think he gave me that extra gear. I was totally undisciplined with keeping to the plan of PMP, but I'm still very pleased with this run. :)

7:27, 7:32, 7:28, 7:23, 7:45, 7:29, 7:30, 7:21

8.01 miles in 1:00:00 for a pace of 7:29 min/mile.

Short Recovery Run

Short and slow trot around the field to cool down. Stopped a few times to give some love to sweet Mr. Smith's black cat who likes to hunt in the field (the cat, not Mr. Smith)....and we both enjoyed sharing a few moments of this lovely evening together (the cat, not Mr. Smith). Uber cool cat. :)

2.52 miles in 26:33.93 for a pace of 10:32 min/mile

Belly felt a little funny on this cool down field trot. I'm hoping it's not the shot bloks. :(

Trainer

This was a full-on-Ukrainian-gypsy-punk-Gogol-Bordello spinfest. Seriously good session. Head down, iPod pulsing, legs smoking. Physically, I am feeling strong and cocky enough to accept the challenge thrown down by a SBR stud to meet him in Galway on July 8th to go head to head in the Volvo tri. I think he said the loser will treat the winner to a night on the town afterwards....complete with drinks and dancing....and I lovelovelove to drink and dance. Will be making my travel plans to your fair country any day now! So excited!!. ;)

30.24 jammin' miles in approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just posting to say that a final foursome wakey uppey was a genius idea of yours. I simply can't narrow it down further. :)

Class training btw. Wish I had your speed!

Any chance said SBR stud would be interested in taking up post as the Minister for Sports and Tourism? We might actually have a chance of getting this country back on its feet if he/she (?) continues to attract FDI! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Physically, I am feeling strong and cocky enough to accept the challenge thrown down by a SBR stud to meet him in Galway on July 8th to go head to head in the Volvo tri. I think he said the loser will treat the winner to a night on the town afterwards....complete with drinks and dancing....and I lovelovelove to drink and dance. Will be making my travel plans to your fair country any day now! So excited!!. ;)

ooohh this I'll have to come to watch and cheer you on... or maybe I'll cheer on the sbr stud (or more likely both of you;)).

Oryx wrote: »
    Just posting to say that a final foursome wakey uppey was a genius idea of yours. I simply can't narrow it down further. :)

Class training btw. Wish I had your speed!

Hey, if we can't narrow it down further, then we can't narrow it down further. More studs the better, I say!! ;)

I'm feeling really good at the moment training-wise. Of course, that all could change in one 24 hour period. Speaking of speed....no need to sneeze at your Ballbuster speed. I'm still in awe of your run. Had no idea you could move your feet like you do! Wow.
    Any chance said SBR stud would be interested in taking up post as the Minister for Sports and Tourism? We might actually have a chance of getting this country back on its feet if he/she (?) continues to attract FDI! :)

What is FDI? :confused:
    littlebug wrote: »
    ooohh this I'll have to come to watch and cheer you on... or maybe I'll cheer on the sbr stud (or more likely both of you;)).

The stud will crush me on the bike (endorphins were making me a bit too big for my britches last night)....so I'll need your cheers more than he will. But on a happy note, we can all go out drinking and dancing afterwards!! Or we can go out drinking and dancing Saturday night and stay out way too late and bin the tri Sunday morning. :eek::)

Foreign Direct Investment - ah it's a tenuous link… I was just trying to sound intelligent of a Friday morning :rolleyes: But I'm sure many would be happy to see that people like you are willing to come and spend your hard earned cash on this reputable (used loosely) wee island! It's not a bad spot really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Foreign Direct Investment - ah it's a tenuous link… I was just trying to sound intelligent of a Friday morning :rolleyes: But I'm sure many would be happy to see that people like you are willing to come and spend your hard earned cash on this reputable (used loosely) wee island! It's not a bad spot really :)

or otherwise known as Female Devoted Interest when referring to flirting & banter with said SBR stud :D

shazkea wrote: »
    or otherwise known as Female Devoted Interest when referring to flirting & banter with said SBR stud :D

Brilliant!! I think we have another candidate for drinking and dancing!!

• Advertisement

20 Mile Run at PMP Plus 15 Seconds

Well slap my @ss and call me Sally......I was so disciplined on this run I could puke. ;)

Earlier this week, after shotgun sort of yelled at me for not getting "realistic" about my PMP, I decided to approach this run as follows: 6 miles at 8:30, 6 miles at 8:15, 6 miles at 8:00, and 2 miles at whatever I felt like. Because I tend to go out way faster than the plan specifies (and then don't want to slow down), I need to practice holding back early on. I didn't quite do this run as I had intended, but the goals to keep the overall average pace closer to the plan specifications and to start slower than I like were both accomplished as far as I am concerned....i.e. by Dory Dory standards.

I knew it was going to get hot today so I headed out a wee bit earlier than usual, and I am so glad I did. When I started my run it was 50 degrees and lovely, but by the time I finished my run it was 70 degrees and hot and sunny - my clothes were drenched in sweat when I was done. It's only March!!

For nutrition, I packed up my Tropical Punch Clif shot bloks and some Clif energy gels along with my trusty jelly beans just in case I needed a backup. And there were two bottles of water at my disposal to quench my thirst.

Highlights of the run: Very disciplined on mile 1.....creeping into undisciplined-land on mile 3 so I pulled it back (yay me!)....around mile 4 or 5 I decided to chuck earlier planned progression-type structure to this run for just keeping pace to 8:00-8:15....took in 3 shot bloks on mile 6 - they were easier to chew and swallow than the jelly beans......was so relaxed on miles 7 thru 10 I could have fallen asleep.....took a Razz Clif gel at mile 12, and was getting really thirsty at this point....stopped at mile 13 for my first water break - probably waited too long to take in fluids as my mouth was totally dry - also shed one top layer as it was getting toasty warm at this point......took 3 more shot bloks on mile 15, but my mouth was so dry it was hard to chew and swallow them so I had to stop for another swig of water.....started to feel like a slog on mile 16 but I knew I only had a few miles left.....kicked it in some on mile 17 and was feeling good again....mile 18 felt even better - I assume the bloks and water were helping me out....mile 19 and 20 were a bit of an effort - mouth was dry and I was hot - but I finished in decent form and was glad it was done.

Each time I run I learn something new. This time I learned the importance of hydration and staying ahead of it. I also learned that I really do need to consume water with the bloks and gels as they seem to add to my thirst. I did not have to make any urgent potty breaks, but I did at times feel nauseated which is a little concerning to me. I'm sure it's from the bloks/gels, but I don't know what to do about it. Maybe take something to coat my stomach before the race? Any suggestions are welcome.

Splits (5 miles at a time)
    8:24, 8:14, 7:53, 8:04, 8:11
    8:08, 8:04, 8:13, 8:02, 8:01
    8:04, 8:02, 8:01, 8:04, 8:05
    8:10, 7:42, 7:39, 7:49, 7:43

20 miles in 2:40:45 for an average pace of 8:02

.45 mile cool down in 4:25.58 for an average pace of 9:44

Happy St. Paddy's Day to everyone!!!! :)

Advertisement