Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just run with the same positive energy of your log and you will be there or thereabouts :) My bet, hoochiedoubledee in a super 3:33!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Intervals

What an absolutely spectacular evening it was here tonight.....too gorgeous, in fact, to do these blasted intervals inside on the treadie, so the decision was made to do them outside in the field "country-style".

The plan called for a 10-20 minute warmup, 6 x 400 meter sprints (I usually do these between 6:40-6:50 (give or take) on the treadie) with a 400 meter rest, then 10 minute cool down.

The back section of the field path is most fitting to do any sort of timed run, so on my first time around I marked off a quarter of a mile by laying twigs at the start and finish. I had intended to do a two lap warmup then start my fast intervals on my third time around, but I guess the excitement of the moment got me so whipped up that I accidentally started my first spiffy quarter mile on the second lap. Woo hoo! :) The rest intervals were much longer than the plan specified, but it just worked better for me to go one entire time around the field and keep my quarter mile section at the same place.

Because I injured myself doing intervals on the track and I don't trust myself not doing them on the treadmill, I took the first few sets with serious caution. I also did the first three in one direction (slightly more uphill than downhill), and the second three in the reverse direction (slightly more downhill than uphill). I gained more confidence each time around and tried to push each set a little harder. On a no animals were harmed in the making of this session note, I normally am quite considerate of all the wildlife in the field and yield to them whenever necessary, but bunnies be damned....there was no room in tonight's plan for such etiquette, and I had rabbits scattering right and left causing all sorts of chaos as I sped by them. Poor little fellas....

Actual intervals, per Garmin:
    1) .25 mile, 1:43.37, 6:52 min/mile
    2) .25 mile, 1:45.55, 6:58 min/mile
    3) .25 mile, 1:41.82, 6:47 min/mile
    4) .25 mile, 1:38.57, 6:33 min/mile
    5) .25 mile, 1:37.47, 6:29 min/mile
    6) .25 mile, 1:34.85, 6:21 min/mile

I finished off this set with approximately two easy cool down miles....and I think I gave new meaning to easy miles as my easy miles were really, really, really easy. :D

6.17 miles total in 57:40.99 for an average pace of 9:20 min/mile.

I loaded myself down again with the gels and shot bloks I'll be taking on the run with me - just tweaking a few things and getting used to how it feels. I'll do this one more time on Wednesday's tempo run. Happy with tonight's run. Tick, tick, tick, tick......last interval session before..... :)

With less than 4 days to go, thoughts of a backup Garmin (just in case) on my wrist are floating in my head. :o I actually mentioned this to the hubby, and he just looked at me. He stopped, stared, and didn't even blink. He then very patiently and with a you-got-to-be-kidding-me look offered me his to wear...but by the time the words came out of his mouth, I realized it was a bit overkill (his look and tone helped with that realization), and, even though I was within a hair of snatching up his offer, he is doing the half marathon while I do the full, so I know he needs his Garmin (even if I need it more). ;)

My last run is tomorrow evening. The plan calls for 3 miles at PMP. Any thoughts from you folks about this last run? Any suggestions? Any input is appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dory Dory wrote: »
    With less than 4 days to go, thoughts of a backup Garmin (just in case) on my wrist are floating in my head. :o I actually mentioned this to the hubby, and he just looked at me. He stopped, stared, and didn't even blink. He then very patiently and with a you-got-to-be-kidding-me look offered me his to wear...but by the time the words came out of his mouth, I realized it was a bit overkill (his look and tone helped with that realization), and, even though I was within a hair of snatching up his offer, he is doing the half marathon while I do the full, so I know he needs his Garmin (even if I need it more). ;)

My last run is tomorrow evening. The plan calls for 3 miles at PMP. Any thoughts from you folks about this last run? Any suggestions? Any input is appreciated. :)

Haha!! If you need a back up you can just print off a pace band and wear a regular stopwatch and check it off against the mile markers. It is in fact a much more useful tool than the garmin as the Garmin will never measure the course completely accurately...In Dublin if you ran exactly 8 min/mile according to your garmin, you'd come in at 3:32-3:33 as the overall course normally measures something betweek 26.4 and 26.5 miles by GPS watches. If I'm pacing a race I'll generally use a garmin + a stopwatch and a pace band. Garmins are useful to check your pace between mile markers (if you have autolap set to one mile and pace set to avpace/lap) but not much more than that.

You can find a pace band generator here: http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm
    Just remember to laminate it throughly (sellotape is fine) as sweat tends to mess it up.

Just run the 3 miles at PMP as per the plan and relish in the delight of how easy it feels and how much enegy you have bound up waiting for release :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Just run the 3 miles at PMP as per the plan and relish in the delight of how easy it feels and how much enegy you have bound up waiting for release :D

+1

Ronseal - do exactly what it says on the tin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck on Sun Dory, you'll fly it and I look forward to reading the report.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Lots of luck but you won't need it you got them legs! And as for the backup you'll also need a backup for the backup remember. And a spare gel belt. And bring three pairs of socks so you can have a choice. Oh, and vaseline. And compeed. Sure ya might as well bring a backpack... ;)

Chill girl. You need your regular kit. Nothing more. This is just last minute jitters. Youre good for it. Travel light, relax and HAVE FUN. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Lots of luck but you won't need it you got them legs! And as for the backup you'll also need a backup for the backup remember. And a spare gel belt. And bring three pairs of socks so you can have a choice. Oh, and vaseline. And compeed. Sure ya might as well bring a backpack... ;)

Chill girl. You need your regular kit. Nothing more. This is just last minute jitters. Youre good for it. Travel light, relax and HAVE FUN. :)

Oh crap!!! We never did decide who was gonna give me that wakeup call!!!! ;)

Kidding!

And I'm way ahead of you on the backpack idea. Already have it loaded with a camel pack, plenty of candy bars, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bananas, oreo cookies, dental floss, sun screen, my lucky rabbit's foot, a photo of Elvis, and some extra hair bands. Never can be too prepared. :D Now...off to do a measly few miles on the bike.

Trainer

Barely worth getting my clothes dirty for this session - 15 miles on the bike at an easy pace in about 50 minutes. Woop, woop. Not really sure I ever broke a sweat, but I showered afterwards just in case.

This marathon needs to hurry up and get here because at this rate I'll either have to make some life-altering eating adjustments (fat chance!), or I will need to start shopping in the "plus" size section of clothing stores. :eek: And the booze....let's not even talk about all the Pinot Grigio I have not consumed in the past 6 weeks. I have a lovely bottle chilled in the refrigerator right now that's feeling a bit neglected.

• Advertisement

Tempo #16, the last one of my marathon plan!

Plan called for 3 miles at PMP......

Today was overcast just about all day. I know dpop is visiting our lovely nation's capital this week so I was a little bummed that the sun was not out for him.....but, on the other hand, the weather today was mild and certainly not unpleasant so I imagined the abcense of the sun burning into his Irish skin, causing him to sweat profusely, resulting in his shirt sticking to his skin, and making him horribly miserable and uncharacteristically snarky (cough) ;)while out sightseeing in the concrete jungle might have been a blessing in disguise. And even better than that, tonight was glorious for him. Perfect amount of setting sunshine with a lovely breeze at a comfortable temperature. :) Dpop, tonight was for you!

And speaking of this glorious evening.....

Splits for my thee miles as follows:
    7:44, 7:43, 7:38
    1:18 (8:16 pace) cool down-ish thingy.....

3.16 miles in 24:25.98 for an average pace of 7:44.

There was no warmup, just right into the 7:44 pace. The body always protests at first, but I've come to learn it protests less at a slower initial pace, so I will gladly start at a slower pace on Saturday. The second mile on tonight's run was met with less resistance, and by the third mile the body was grooving at a steady beat. I noticed on that third mile that I was able to relax more, which, if I didn't have "pace" to glance at on my Garmin, I would have sworn I was going slower...but to my surprise I was going faster. Funny how that happens.

I did another dress rehearsal tonight with my clothes and gels/bloks....but I have some questions I'll need to work out tomorrow night. Clothes are fine...but I am vacillating between arm/wrist bands or a gel belt for my goods. I don't like things around my waist, prefer the arm/wrist band, but the belt is easier/quicker access, however the gels bounce up and down. I have practiced with both....and am leaning towards the bands. Final decision tomorrow night!

I felt heavy tonight.....but I assume that's normal at this stage in the taper. I had tons of energy all day long at work and was quite hyper and excited about the marathon....even started thinking of it in terms of it being a 26.2 mile dance in the street. And I love to dance! I'll just have to que up the music in my head....which shouldn't be too much a problem. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck on saturday.
    Sounds like you will be better prepared than most for their first Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

The best of luck the weekend Dory. No bother to ya, your training has been immense. I am predicting expecting a great time :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of Luck on saturday.
    Sounds like you will be better prepared than most for their first Marathon.

I think I'm as ready as I can possibly be for my first time around.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    The best of luck the weekend Dory. No bother to ya, your training has been immense. I am predicting expecting a great time :)

No pressure for my first marathon, please. ;) I'll be over the moon if I get anywhere near your fantastic time!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Flick back through your training from the last few months. Look at all that you have done in preparation for the race. Your training has been faultless, your race preparation exemplary. There is nothing left, but to reap the rewards of all that hard work.

Don't psych yourself up before the race, instead, think in terms of calm efficiency. You're there to do a job, and that job is to slice off each mile at a time and enjoy the whole experience. Enjoying the race is important, because you will only ever have one first marathon. Also, the less stressed you are, the lower your heart rate will be, and the greater your chance of hitting your target.

Remember:
    • The crowds are cheering for you
    • Smile as you cross the finish line
    • Have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Best of luck Dory, I think there will be more boardsies following some marathon in the arse end of Virginia, than Chicago, Boston or New York :D

You got your very own online cheerleading squad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck this weekend DD. I have no doubt you'll smash that race given the way your training has gone.

Throw up the link to the race website again beforehand so we all know where to follow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hey Dory.... Good luck at the weekend :)

Flick back through your training from the last few months. Look at all that you have done in preparation for the race. Your training has been faultless, your race preparation exemplary. There is nothing left, but to reap the rewards of all that hard work.

Don't psych yourself up before the race, instead, think in terms of calm efficiency. You're there to do a job, and that job is to slice off each mile at a time and enjoy the whole experience. Enjoying the race is important, because you will only ever have one first marathon. Also, the less stressed you are, the lower your heart rate will be, and the greater your chance of hitting your target.

Remember:
    • The crowds are cheering for you
    • Smile as you cross the finish line
    • Have a great race

Your timing and words are impeccable. Thanks. What I wouldn't give to have you pacing me. Hmmm.....you got any plans this weekend?? ;);)
    catweazle wrote: »
    Best of luck Dory, I think there will be more boardsies following some marathon in the arse end of Virginia, than Chicago, Boston or New York :D

Thanks cw. You know I blame you for all of this!! Don't know if I'll be able to post my results on my thread until I get back late Saturday (Sunday for you) (and don't know how soon the website will post), so if I have cell service I'll email you the results and you can post them on my thread if you like. BUT, if I don't email you, that doesn't necessarily mean anything horrible - just probably no cell service.
    Oryx wrote: »
    You got your very own online cheerleading squad. :)

Yay!! Oryx with pom poms!! Thanks. You've almost got me a little emotional...you are a softie at heart, aren't you? :)
    Best of luck this weekend DD. I have no doubt you'll smash that race given the way your training has gone.

Throw up the link to the race website again beforehand so we all know where to follow you.

My goal is to negative split, so I'll work at making the first half relaxed but steady. And it will also depend on the hills. I hear there is a killer on mile 6, but after that they aren't so bad.

http://www.charlottesvillemarathon.com/?utm_source=Marathon%2FHalf%2F8K+Final+update&utm_campaign=marathon+4-4-12&utm_medium=email

Somewhere on the site is a link to a live webcam finish, I think. :eek:
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hey Dory.... Good luck at the weekend :)

Thanks!! And it just occurred to me...is your username associated with Star Wars?? (oh god....let me be right, let me be right....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Best of luck on Saturday, +1 on all the super posts above.

Try to get a good night's sleep tonight because you might not tomorrow night.

And remember the most important thing of all............... enjoy it:)

Yoga

In all the madness and excitement, I almost forgot to mention my 90 minutes of yoga. Great session with some new moves, including one-legged planks. Body feels good. :)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Best of luck on Saturday, +1 on all the super posts above.

Try to get a good night's sleep tonight because you might not tomorrow night.

And remember the most important thing of all............... enjoy it:)

Thanks, you ultra rock goddess!! Great advice on the good night's sleep - will head to bed a little early tonight for sure. And yes....I will definitely enjoy it....I mean, who doesn't get a thrill from breaking two of mom's steadfast rules: do NOT sip water nor Gatorade out of paper cups while running, and do NOT taking candy from strangers along the road. With disobedience like that, I'll gladly run 26.2 mile for! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good luck Dory Dory! This is a great log to read, real dedication you show in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Thanks!! And it just occurred to me...is your username associated with Star Wars?? (oh god....let me be right, let me be right....)

Yep ;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Good luck Dory Dory! This is a great log to read, real dedication you show in training.

Thanks! :)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Yep ;)

YES!!! :D:D:D:D

Bon Chance Hoochie DoubleDee
    Run with heart, run with glee
    When those around you fade away
    Smile, push on and save the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Dory, not that you will need it. Your training has been inspiring, you are some tough cookie :) I'll be hanging around online waiting with bated breath to hear how you are doing.

Oh my god youve even got mcos spouting poetry. You are a woman with an amazing effect on men. Either that or he has been drinking again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

DD i have to say i have admired your complete dedication and motivation you have shown over the last few months and for that you deserve a fantastic result this weekend.
    All the work is done now you just need to carry that work and confidence into the race. Remember the real race starts at mile 22 and when the going gets tough and it starts to hurt just remember all the sacrifices you have made, the training you have put in and that you have a group of online followers rooting for you:)

I wish you an excellent race, I do not need to wish you luck as you have done the work and left nothing to chance. Give it socks...cannot wait for the race report and remember you can always hurt that little bit more. I will be doing a little Irish jig when you cross the finish line.

Advertisement