Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Hydration-Lemon-Drink-Tablets/dp/B004QGC9XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330900533&sr=8-1

Another suggestion for your beans. Find a container like above have one in each hand. I have heard holding something in each hand like above will help keep you relaxed. Also a quick pop of the lid and a glug of beans with lid back on and you are sorted. Saves you rooting around or trying to tear bags.

Thanks JB!! We have little pill bottles here at our vet clinic, so perhaps they would work. I'll give it a try! :)

Hmmm....but the pill bottle top is not attached like the one you are suggesting.....so....

Intervals

Gag. It's been 4 weeks since I injured myself doing intervals on the track, and I confess, I have consciously avoided doing these blasted sessions since that Tuesday morning. At first I avoided them to allow my muscle to completely heal, and then I avoided them because I was afraid of re-injury. Not being a runner and not having any formal running training, I don't trust myself to run safely at a safe pace while doing sprints. On the other hand, a treadmill can dictate a steady pace thus taking the guesswork out of the equation. Well, today my trusty treadmill was finally taken off of life-support after 5 or 6 weeks in a coma-like state. Thank you treadmill technician man for finally coming to my home and finally declaring my treadie healed. Can I hear a hallelujah?

The following is what I did, according to plan:
    2 miles easy at 10 min/mile pace
    3 x (1 mile @ 6:40 min/mile pace, .25 mile easy)
    2.5 miles easy at 10 min/mile pace

8 miles in 72:17

Trainer

Easy 10 mile spin on the trainer in approximately 35 minutes. My mind was going a mile a minute while on the bike thinking about all aspects of the marathon....from my pace...to my snacks...to water...to the hills...to the shirt I'm going to wear...to wondering how I will feel when it's over. 4 weeks from Saturday - it's a 6:30am start. I'm hoping I cross the line in time for me to run back to the hotel room to shower and get cleaned up before checkout time. Note to self: call hotel to find out what time checkout is, then double check projected pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Do a dress rehearsal run, a week or two before the marathon. The night before, pick out the clothes you'll wear pre-run, the clothes (and assorted gear) you'll have for the run, and the stuff you're going to keep at the finish line. Go through the whole routine, as close to the race day routine as possible. It'll help you spot any things that are missing.
    (and if you haven't already, take a look at the novices thread from last year, and the previous years. Lots of tips for first-time marathoners in there)

Thanks RayCun! I have not had a look at that thread but I certainly will. And thanks for the arm wallet tip. I have ordered a few variations of your wallet (a little more stylish than your manly one, that I totally love), and can't wait to try them out this weekend with my jelly beans and Pixie Stix.

Yoga

90 minutes of yoga. Love my yoga. I've decided I get a little cranky if I miss my yoga. Missed last week....and will miss next week due to work schedule (crap!)...but then I have vowed not to miss another week of yoga prior to the marathon. Come hell or high water, I will be at yoga those last three weeks. Period. Amen. ;)

Trainer

30 mile sweatfest in while watching the Caps. Only 17 games left in regular season, and they are struggling to make the playoffs. Ugh! Session was good - concentrating mainly on fast spinning with less resistance as the marathon draws near (I think this is the correct approach?). Nothing too remarkable while on the bike, except, while cycling, I received an email from the head of the cheetah program at the Smithsonian/National Zoo asking if I would consider assisting with a behavior study of a very special cheetah, Nick. Won't bore you with all the Nick details, but in a nutshell - he was hand raised, he's way social, purrs when you approach him, totally handsome and charming, and loves Kong toys. I'm not sure how I will do this, but it's an opportunity I can't squander.

Tomorrow....10 mile run at PMP. It's supposed to be near 70 degrees tomorrow - my kind of weather!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Trainer

30 mile sweatfest in while watching the Caps. Only 17 games left in regular season, and they are struggling to make the playoffs. Ugh! Session was good - concentrating mainly on fast spinning with less resistance as the marathon draws near (I think this is the correct approach?). Nothing too remarkable while on the bike, except, while cycling, I received an email from the head of the cheetah program at the Smithsonian/National Zoo asking if I would consider assisting with a behavior study of a very special cheetah, Nick. Won't bore you with all the Nick details, but in a nutshell - he was hand raised, he's way social, purrs when you approach him, totally handsome and charming, and loves Kong toys. I'm not sure how I will do this, but it's an opportunity I can't squander.

Tomorrow....10 mile run at PMP. It's supposed to be near 70 degrees tomorrow - my kind of weather!

He has to be worth at least a minute a mile... he'll be the perfect training partner Dory!

He has to be worth at least a minute a mile... he'll be the perfect training partner Dory!

Brilliant idea, dpop! And here he is...meet Nick, my new training partner!! I shot this in November when he was 11 months old - he's even more gorgeous in person.

308594_291586650857020_100000170613449_1414603_2131363422_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

WOW WOW WOW - wanna swap jobs - you know you want an unattainable sales target to make your life complete ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    WOW WOW WOW - wanna swap jobs - you know you want an unattainable sales target to make your life complete ;)

Nah. Nick needs me...and I need him. Purr. But you can come and visit him anytime you want. ;)

10 Mile Tempo at PMP

Based on the number of gnats I swallowed, picked out of my teeth, and wiped from my eyes tonight, I'd say that spring is right around the corner! Woo hoo! Memo to self: consider wearing sunglasses and keeping mouth closed while running from now to next November.

I never really was all that jazzed to do this run tonight, but I wasn't dreading it either - I just basically had no opinion. For one nanosecond I actually thought about putting this off until tomorrow and doing it during the work day, but as quick as that thought came, it was tossed in the bin. So off I went after work to get this session done.

One thing I need to do a better job of is easing into my pace. I looked down at my watch about 1/4 mile into my first mile and I was at a 6:30 pace. :eek: Oops. Slow them horses down!!! In fact, the first few miles were probably too fast...duly noted....and I will work on that. I lost satellite after my 5th mile, which totally stinks, so for the next 2 miles or so I had no idea how fast I was going, but I know it was at a steady and respectable pace. Having run this course many times, I know it pretty well, so I knew approximately where my 10 mile marker would be, but based on my times and the associated math I did to break this run down, I may have been short by 2/10 of a mile. Oh well.

Splits:
    7:24, 7:37, 7:19, 7:28, 7:43
    Lost satellite, but guessing this was about 2.1 miles in 15:55 for a 7:35 pace*
    7:46, 7:29, 5:24 (7:43 pace)

Approximately 9.8 miles in 1:14:08 for a pace of 7:34*.

There were pros and cons to this run.

Pros: at times my legs felt super strong and my body enjoyed the freedom of this run....two weeks ago I did this same run at an average pace of 7:40....and the wind was pretty strong against me depending on where I was in the run, but I kept it relaxed and didn't let it bother me.

Cons: at times my lungs were burning and I wanted to stop.....the course was relatively flat thus I know my pace will be slower on hills....I didn't practice eating my jelly beans I had with me because I just didn't want to expend the energy.

Overall, this run was fine. It's done, and it was okay. :)

* If this pace is incorrect due to incorrect lost-satellite-estimated-mileage, then worst case scenario is that the lost mileage was only 2 miles and not 2.1 miles, thus making the "lost" 2 mile pace 7:57 (which I doubt, but will consider the possibility), and making the overall pace 7:38 and not the above stated 7:34, but still faster than 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Okay...I have to post this. I was complaining a bit to a coworker yesterday about the marathon start being at the ungodly time of 6:30 in the frickin' morning, and she reminded me of the Seinfeld episode that was about the Olympic runner who missed his marathon start at the Olympics due to an alarm clock snafu, but was trying to redeem himself in the NY City Marathon. Hilarious. But now I'm going to have to set a zillion clocks that morning to wake me up....and perhaps ask a few of you to ring me to make sure I'm awake and on time. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khys7LfwT8c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Okay...I have to post this. I was complaining a bit to a coworker yesterday about the marathon start being at the ungodly time of 6:30 in the frickin' morning, and she reminded me of the Seinfeld episode that was about the Olympic runner who missed his marathon start at the Olympics due to an alarm clock snafu, but was trying to redeem himself in the NY City Marathon. Hilarious. But now I'm going to have to set a zillion clocks that morning to wake me up....and perhaps ask a few of you to ring me to make sure I'm awake and on time. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khys7LfwT8c

I LOVE Seinfeld and I hadn't seen that episode before; hilarious.
    But now I'm worried that I will have an alarm clock disaster in just over three weeks....;) Either that or a hot tea drama....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Seinfeld never really took off over here but it is was always my favourite show. Some of the episodes were absolute genius.

Strangely Larry Davids follow up Show Curb your enthusiasm got a bit more of a cult following over here but while good I don't think it has near the supporting cast that Kramer, George and Elaine gave Seinfeld.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had to get up at 3.30 for Vitruvian last year which has a 6am(ish) race briefing. (you listening RQ?). 3 alarm clocks set, and I didnt need one of them. I was so worried about not waking I didnt sleep. :)

What date is your marathon? And what time is it here when its 6.30 with you? And WHO are you going to give your phone number to, huh?? :)

Oh and on a practical note, if you dont already, run a few times at 6.30am to get used to running while half asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nah. Nick needs me...and I need him. Purr. But you can come and visit him anytime you want. ;)

I'll have to be content with watching Wild at Heart on Sunday's so :(

Oryx wrote: »
    I had to get up at 3.30 for Vitruvian last year which has a 6am(ish) race briefing. (you listening RQ?). 3 alarm clocks set, and I didnt need one of them. I was so worried about not waking I didnt sleep. :)

What date is your marathon? And what time is it here when its 6.30 with you? And WHO are you going to give your phone number to, huh?? :)

Oh and on a practical note, if you dont already, run a few times at 6.30am to get used to running while half asleep.

My marathon is on April 7th - 4 weeks from Saturday!! :eek: You guys in Ireland are 5 hours ahead of us here, so it'll be 11:30 when the gun goes off for me.

Alarm clock...not sleeping...I'm totally picking up what you're putting down. Between newbie marathon nerves, worrying about oversleeping, and sleeping in a hotel bed, I expect it to be a struggle to catch any Zzzzzs.

BUT, if I DO give my number out to anyone, you are perhaps among the most responsible but of course being woken up by a hot Irish lad's voice serenading me to a PB wouldn't be bad either....so it would probably be you. But you'd have to call me in time for me to eat, shower, dress, and get to the start....so we're talking, hmmm, by 4am, or 9am your time. ;)

Oh god...and you think I should try a godforsaken 6:30 trial run?? ohforgoodnesssakes.... Probably a great idea!! Thanks!! Looking forward to it....

You inferred Im a responsible person and now my keyboard has tea and biscuits spat all over it. :)

I wouldnt suggest you train at 6.30am just on an evil whim, perish the thought.... :)

(seriously, as with nutrition, train how you will race, that includes training the body clock)

You inferred Im a responsible person and now my keyboard has tea and biscuits spat all over it. :)

I wouldnt suggest you train at 6.30am just on an evil whim, perish the thought.... :)

(seriously, as with nutrition, train how you will race, that includes training the body clock)

Isn't that an advertising slogan - "Tea and biscuits, the snack of responsible peeps" ?? But that does pose an interesting question for you - if you had to rely on one boardie to wake you up for a race, who would it be?? (and how would you want to be woken up? :D)

And wise advice....train how you will race. Even if you're not responsible, you are wise. ;)

Ooh I like that question. Who would I like to wake me up and how.. So many choices..

I'm only posting here to advise the old adage that it's more important to get a good nights sleep the night before the night before a marathon. Many's the runner who's ran well having stared at a hotel ceiling the night before a race.

(Not posting here in any way to subliminally remind you both of my existence, while your neuron's are forming sexy-wakey-uppy patterns;))

• Advertisement

I'm only posting here to advise the old adage that it's more important to get a good nights sleep the night before the night before a marathon. Many's the runner who's ran well having stared at a hotel ceiling the night before a race.

(Not posting here in any way to subliminally remind you both of my existence, while your neuron's are forming sexy-wakey-uppy patterns;))

Not to worry, dpop, I've already fantasized considered how you might wake a sleeping tiger early in the morning...and it got me to giggling. ;)
    Ooh I like that question. Who would I like to wake me up and how.. So many choices..

We could start our own thread about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

.....must control imagination.......think about intervals......anything.......dont look at the photos of Oryx and Dory on the main site.......time for a cold shower......

Dory. Do not hop on pop. It will end in tears. :)

Clue's in the name. I'm an idiot, should have come up with something better if I wanted to be a player. Bemoiloilonpoil; how do I get changed to that?

For him or me? ;)
    Clue's in the name. I'm an idiot, should have come up with something better if I wanted to be a player. Bemoiloilonpoil; how do I get changed to that?

I think you just did!

Trainer

I was a bit low on energy for this session probably from all this talk about a wakeup strategy from a hot boardie (hello dpop and griffin, to name just two) due to it being the end of a crazy week and a day after a spiffy 10 mile tempo. Wanted to do 30 miles, started to negotiate down to 25, but in the end did 31 because I was watching the Caps battle it out on ice and the first period ended at the 31 mile mark.

Was planning on a swim session tomorrow, but I just can't stand the thought of driving an hour each way to the pool....especially since I am living and breathing everything marathon right now. How does one event take over your entire life? My poor hubby and poor friends are constantly subjected to my marathon obsession....and every social invitation is planned around my training. I assume these annoying newbie traits vanish after you get a few marathons under your belt...because if not, I may find myself single and looking for a new set of friends! ;)

15 Mile Run at PMP Plus 10 Sec/Mile

Wow. This run had a lot if stuff going on with it today. Don't know if it was that it was a gorgeous Saturday, or that everyone has spring fever, but I was definitely in sensory overload.

Mile 1 thru 3 - Just getting in the grove of the run. Was still early (10:30ish), so not too many folks out and about yet on this Saturday morning. I had packed my sports and regular jelly beans in two semi-cylindrical flip top candy containers that I found in the checkout line at walmart (dumped the original candy out), and I had them with me in my brand new uber-fashionable wrist wallet. Yay. BUT, good grief you could hear me coming a mile away with all the racket they were making bouncing around in the containers. I'm sure my fellow marathon runners will not be pleased with this....but, what's a girl with a sweet tooth who is running 26.2 miles to do? Took my first jelly bean hit at mile 3, then just held the container in my right hand for the duration.

Mile 4 - Having run this route a zillion times now, I am familiar with the usual wind currents and changes in gradation, but for the very first time, the wind was blowing in the exact opposite direction. Interesting.

Mile 5 thru 8 - Was feeling really relaxed, the running was effortless, and I was totally enjoying the mood I was in. The slightly dramatic music pumping thru my iPod created an environment and attitude that just begged a fantasy moment of world-class runner swag, so I complied gladly.

Mile 9 - I had not intended on making any stops on this 15 mile run, that is until I saw a dear friend from out of town and his lovable hound, Roxie. A quick stop for some hellos and smiles...a pat on the head to Roxie...a brief explanation about my container of jelly beans....and then off again....until mile 10...

Mile 10 - ....old lady with a dog at 9 o'clock alert. Mrs. Dugans, a dear sweet widow who is at least in her 80s, still drives, goes everywhere with her little pooch, Rufus, and wields a cane that I'm always afraid of getting taken out with when she flails it about in animated fashion. Oh, and she always wears red lipstick, and it's not always contained just to her lips. Anyway, she's a dear...and she loves me.....always calls me Pocahontas (don't ask)...so I had to stop for a hug and a kiss. After a few moments with her (and a wipe of the red lipstick that she transferred to my cheek), I was off again.

Mile 11 thru 12 - Finished one container of jelly beans. Opted to not worry about the second container.

Mile 13 - 15 - Toughest three miles of the run. By this point, there were loads of folks out....had to smile and wave like I was on a float in a parade (small town)....had adorable dogs rushing to greet me, so I slowed a few times to give them some love....and my tank was running on empty. Based on how poorly I have eaten in the past 24 hours and the lack of sleep I got last night, I'm actually surprised my tank hadn't run out before now. Oh but wait.....I had just consumed enough sugar in the first 12 miles that now my mouth was sore from it. Yay. Now my mouth will be broken out and tender. And I don't want to see another jelly bean for at least a week.

Enough ramble.....splits as follows:
    7:44, 7:42, 7:34, 7:41, 7:38, 7:49, 7:45, 7:42, 7:54, 7:44, 7:52, 7:48, 7:50, 7:49, 7:34

15 miles, 1:56:15, 7:44 pace

Cool down - .26 mile, 2:35.93, 9:49 pace

That's a nice run and a good confidence builder.

You'll work out what works for you nutrition wise pretty quickly, hopefully without rotting your teeth away on refined sugars :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    That's a nice run and a good confidence builder.

You'll work out what works for you nutrition wise pretty quickly, hopefully without rotting your teeth away on refined sugars :)

Thanks, but the truth is I am getting a little worried about the nutrition thing, especially since I was running out of gas at the 13 mile mark even after a few socializing breathers. And, once again, I have slipped into my bad habit of trying to run this one today faster than I should have. Before I started the run, I had in my head to pace around 8 min/mile....but the first couple of miles were faster than that....then I hate to slow down too much because I'd rather build then die....and then I didn't want to go above 8 min/mile at that point. I could go on, but you all have been there so need to beat this horse. Perhaps if I had stuck to my original plan to keep it at 8 min/mile, it wouldn't have been such an effort at the end, and I wouldn't have some question marks in my head. I'm still learning. :)

Oh...and thank god for good dental plans!!! ;)

• Advertisement

What did you eat before the run? When I am getting ready for a long run (13 miles plus) I eat a big bowl of cereal and 4 slices of bread and sometimes a bananna or two about 60-90 mins beforehand (that's also my pre ironman meal :) ). It's important to make sure you are well fueled beforehand. If you burn off 100 calories a mile (like me) that's 2,600 in a marathon so you need to have the tank topped up at the start and use gels or similar to keep the tank topped up as much as you can as opposed to trying to rectify a fuel deficit from the start. In saying that I know a sub 3hr runner who eats a small bowl of cereal before a race and doesn't fuel on the run.

More experienced runners will comment on the pacing thing, but for me it's about not getting too hung up on the pace at the start and relaxing into the run. On a long run you have a lot of time to relax into a desired pace (and perhaps all the stop - starting is not allowing you to relax).

Advertisement