Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    KC....just found these....

http://www.jellybelly.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=98482

Is this what you like?
    Yep, that's the box I brought back from the US last time I was over. They are caffeinated though, so you couldn't really have multiple bags on a run, but great for an occasional treat (I munch on two of them, every three miles or so, if I'm going for a really long mountainy run).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yep, that's the box I brought back from the US last time I was over. They are caffeinated though, so you couldn't really have multiple bags on a run, but great for an occasional treat (I munch on two of them, every three miles or so, if I'm going for a really long mountainy run).

I just ordered a box of them....2nd day air so I could have them for my 20 miler on Saturday. So, only two of them (2 jelly beans) per 3 miles? Really? They are that potent? Or should I supplement with my usual two heaping handfuls of standard jelly beans starting at mile 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Those beans are awesome! I take them with me on long bike rides (back when I actually did long bike rides :) ) I'd hide the box though.. I find when I'm arsing around the house and the packet is looking at me, all I want to do is munch into them. The lemon and orange flavour packs are nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

You could also try Cliff Shot Blocks - they're like little blocks of raw jello (I think that's what you call it :)) and they are really easy on the GI system, however as is the case with snow dont eat the yellow ones, they are foul.

Another option is to try an isogel which is a gel you don't need to take water with, but they are a bit bulkier than normal gels so can be harder to carry. My favourite ones are Hi5.

Those beans are awesome! I take them with me on long bike rides (back when I actually did long bike rides :) ) I'd hide the box though.. I find when I'm arsing around the house and the packet is looking at me, all I want to do is munch into them. The lemon and orange flavour packs are nice too!

I remember you telling me about the sports beans. I'll let you know how I like them. I ordered the ones with caffeine (in for a penny, in for a pound) and I'm curious to see how I'll react to them since I am a little sensitive to caffeine as I hypes me up. :)
    griffin100 wrote: »
    You could also try Cliff Shot Blocks - they're like little blocks of raw jello (I think that's what you call it :)) and they are really easy on the GI system, however as is the case with snow dont eat the yellow ones, they are foul.

Another option is to try an isogel which is a gel you don't need to take water with, but they are a bit bulkier than normal gels so can be harder to carry. My favourite ones are Hi5.

Cliff Shot Blocks sound interesting, especially if they are like my boxes of raw jello. ;) I will look for them since the Cliff brand is readily available around here. May try to find an isogel, but I'll be honest with you, I'm a little apprehensive due to Sunday's sudden onset of tummy trouble. :o

• Advertisement

Recovery Run

Good grief it was a drop-dead gorgeous evening here in this sleepy little town that sits between two mountains known as Luray. So gorgeous that upon arriving home the field seduced me with its come hither-ness, rendering me helpless in its grasp, thus convincing me that I needed to give it some love. Off with the work clothes, on with the runners....and out the door and into the field to do some easy recovery miles to help ease the ragged legs.

It was perfect outside - 60 degrees, slight wind blowing, sun retiring behind the Massanutten Mountain, stars glowing brilliantly in the clear sky.....ahhhh....what a great night. :)

6.26 miles in 1:03:02 for an easy pace of 10:04 min/mile.

Trainer

Legs still a little knackered (I think that's the correct term you all use), so I decided to spend a little time on the trainer and spin at a relatively easy resistance. Immediately after hopping off the bike I could tell the legs were much improved. Yay. I think the legs missed their usual post-LSR trainer spin yesterday.

15 miles in about 55 minutes.

Trainer

Paint my bike red and call it a hot rod.....this was a very solid session. :)

As incredibly mild and lovely as it was tonight (weather-wise), it was almost a sin to not go for a proper run outside....but due to work being crazy causing me to get home a little later than usual (and causing me to miss yoga today :mad:) and due to my legs still a little less than 100%, I opted for the bike instead of the pavement...and what a wise decision that was.

Because my cycling is neither filled with bells and whistles nor smoke and mirrors, all I can tell you is I kept the pressure on the entire session and it felt great. I had good strength and put out good effort...probably my best spin that I can remember. I love this cross training because it saves the body....allows it to rest while still working.....I like to think of it as multi-tasking. Thighs got a massive workout that I hope will pay dividends in my run.....and the legs now feel back to 100% and will be primed for the tempo run tomorrow.

And I have to interject this report with a Caps update......they just came back from being down 2-0 in the last few minutes of the 3rd period to winning in overtime with a scorcher of a goal by Alex Ovechkin. Fantastic!!!! Woo hoo!!! Rocking the red.......oh yeah....

35 miles in approximatey 1 hour 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Eh, were you trying to hide this from us, hoping we wouldnt find out? http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/891609-hank-the-cat-running-for-us-senate-seat-in-virginia

As you run a veterinary clinic I presume you'll be voting for Hank.

Virginia's a strange strange place....

Eh, were you trying to hide this from us, hoping we wouldnt find out? http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/891609-hank-the-cat-running-for-us-senate-seat-in-virginia

As you run a veterinary clinic I presume you'll be voting for Hank.

Virginia's a strange strange place....

Ha! Yes, politically speaking, Viginia is a bit fecked up! Hank certainly looks like a formidable opponent, but I wonder what sordid little skeletons will be unearthed from his past? Perhaps he dabbled in a little mousey and birdie homicide in his younger years.....or there's always the issue of urinating in public. Let's just hope he has a good PR person to put the right spin on things! ;)

Tempo Run

Yesterday was sunny, warm and beautiful. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, warm and beautiful. Today was rainy, windy and bleek. How appropriate for my gut wrenching tempo session this evening. On the bright side, my Krusty recommended watermelon extreme sports beans arrived today....and they're not bad. They are a little tangy and they have a slightly different texture than the regular jelly beans, but they're not bad. I tried a total of 5 of them before the run - 2 a few hours before the run, 2 thirty minutes before the run, 1 just before the run. Caffeine can do some funny things to me....like make my stomach hurt (so I need to have food on it), or make me buzz, and then make me tired from buzzing.....so the jury is still out if these will work. I will try them full tilt this weekend and make my decision then.

But back to my run....which was okay, not great, but okay. I'm not sleeping very well at night right now, so I'm tired. I'm doing a better job nutritionally, so that's a plus....and my legs feel good (thank you trainer for allowing me to spin my niggles away)....I'm just tired. There is a bit of a deja vu thing going on here as I remember feeling this way from my competitive swimming days.

Warmup mile: 7:58
    Tempo miles: 7:20, 7:19, 7:27, 7:31, 7:19
    Cool down: 4:45 (9:31 pace)

6.5 miles, 49:41.07, 7:38 pace

Okay, some disclosure and analysis. (yawn......zzzzzzz....)

Disclosure first: the course was flat; for most of the run the rain wasn't too bad, but at tempo mile 4 the heavens opened up and the wind let loose causing me to stop for about 30 seconds to get my head together while under a bridge. At the time I stopped, my pace for that mile was 7:44.

Analysis: Because I feel like I was cheating by stopping, I will call my 4th tempo mile 7:44 (and not 7:31), and I will add 10 seconds to the 5th tempo mile since I was allowed a recovery by stopping, making it 7:29. These adjustments make my average tempo pace 7:26. Two weeks ago when I did a 4 mile tempo run, that average pace was 7:16. I know tonight's run was one mile further, but a 10 second average increase seems like too much.

Additional analysis: The plan I am following called for this run to be done at my 5k pace plus 35 seconds....but due to my crappy and antiquated 5k time, historical data would have had this run be done at an 8:05 pace. Since we all know that's not reality, I turned to the McMillan calculator and keyed in my targeted marathon time and then extrapolated my 5k pace...added the 35 seconds which then gave me a pace of 7:30. Sooooo....tonight's tempo met the target, but it's still leaving me with an empty feeling since I know the effort it took tonight and how it compared to two weeks ago.

Any way....

Trainer

15 mile recovery spin in approximately 55 minutes.

Other News

In association with the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (basically an extension of our National Zoo), I am exploring the possibility of organizing a run to benefit conservation and research for cheetahs and clouded leopards at their facility. I have helped the Smithsonian for years with fundraising for these amazing cats, but I have never headed up a benefit run. If anyone has any words of wisdom for me (like..run...very, very far away...), let me know. Obviously the goal is to raise money for the cause and not give it away to the corporate profit motivated sharks that would want to offer their services to the event. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Sore throat and runny nose have taken hold, which probably helps explain why I am tired. I'm actually a little relieved, as strange as that may sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sore throat and runny nose have taken hold, which probably helps explain why I am tired. I'm actually a little relieved, as strange as that may sound.

If you're going to have a cold, better to get it out of the way now. Will you take the foot off the gas a bit this week?

If you're going to have a cold, better to get it out of the way now. Will you take the foot off the gas a bit this week?

I don't know. Struggling with that as we speak. If you were my dad or my coach (and knowing I have 5 weeks to go til marathon...and knowing I'm thinking of doing an easy field run followed by trainer today, swim tomorrow, and 20 mile run this weekend) what would you suggest? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

I don't know. Struggling with that as we speak. If you were my dad or my coach (and knowing I have 5 weeks to go til marathon...and knowing I'm thinking of doing an easy field run followed by trainer today, swim tomorrow, and 20 mile run this weekend) what would you suggest? :D

I'd have a read of this thread

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'd have a read of this thread

Thanks. It definitely gives pause for consideration.

I'd make sure to go *very* easy- that means telling yourself to slow down, even if you feel fresh- with a view to focusing on the 20 miler, thats the one that counts. Even take a day off if you need to.

What I wouldn't do, is run in the field, think, wow, its a great day, and I feel good, try and push the pace; then watch a box-set of the "Blustering Buffoonerisms of DubbleYa Bush" while spinning; then get to the pool, see its empty, and think "10k hahaha"; then suffer a hit to confidence by not outperforming in the 20 miler.

But thats just me;)

I'd make sure to go *very* easy- that means telling yourself to slow down, even if you feel fresh- with a view to focusing on the 20 miler, thats the one that counts. Even take a day off if you need to.

What I wouldn't do, is run in the field, think, wow, its a great day, and I feel good, try and push the pace; then watch a box-set of the "Blustering Buffoonerisms of DubbleYa Bush" while spinning; then get to the pool, see its empty, and think "10k hahaha"; then suffer a hit to confidence by not outperforming in the 20 miler.

But thats just me;)

And that's exactly why I asked you. ;) Thanks.

Lunch Time Field Waltz

It's an absolutely stunning day here today, so after a quick plie and graceful pirouette, I sashayed my fanny booty out to the field for an easy waltz around the soft-squishy-grassy-muddy dance floor under the sun shiny afternoon.

Days like today make me think about how close my pool opening is...and how I will start to become competitive in the S division of the SBR...FINALLY!! This has been murder seeing me suck in my forte. Patience...patience...

Any way....lovey little waltz...in 3/4 time with a medium tempo....more English than Viennese.....1-2-3.....1-2-3.....

6.19 miles in 55:55.82 for an average pace of 9.01

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Use the 'Neck Rule': Above the neck train through it, below don't risk it!
    Hope you feel better soon.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Use the 'Neck Rule': Above the neck train through it, below don't risk it!
    Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. :) It's mainly a runny nose, dry/scratchy throat, a few sneezes and some dry coughs. A little tired, but not as tired as yesterday. Earlier run felt good....now deciding what I'll do this evening now that I'm home.

• Advertisement

Trainer

Actually considered having a second helping of field running this evening due to the nearly perfect weather for the first day of March, but after dilly dallying around the house I decided to keep with the original plan of a round on the trainer with a side order of political theatrics.....and I'm not talking the dpop boxed set variety of political theatrics that kept comedians in business for 8 years, but more in the form of current, cutting edge, hot topics like contraception. WTF? Seriously.

20 miles in approximately 1 hour 5 minutes.

I had plenty of time on the bike to think about the next few days' training, and I've decided to nix the swimming idea for tomorrow. Between the travel time to and from the pool, the fact that I'm fighting a cold, and the 20 mile run coming up this weekend (something about a hit to the confidence...and not outperforming is ringing in my ears...) the smart thing to do is to forego this aquatic adventure. But I will pencil that swim in for next Friday. The next 5 weeks need to be about smart use of energy, staying healthy and injury free, and marathon preparation trumping all things SBR challenge related.

The next 5 weeks need to be about smart use of energy, staying healthy and injury free, and marathon preparation trumping all things SBR challenge related.

Spoken like a marathon pro!

20 Mile LSR

With 5 weeks to go to the big maiden marathon voyage, I'm shifting into smart training mode (or at least I'm gonna fool myself into thinking I am), which, in part, means I will follow the weekly LSRs a little closer to what the plan calls for. Translation: I've proven to myself what I needed to prove to myself with the last few LSRs, and I've educated myself on what the body feels like days after pushing LSRs harder than I probably should have (thus quasi-mimicking marathon body-stress conditions perhaps?). The last few weeks had more to do with confidence and clarity than necessarily physical conditioning, but now it's time to finish off the prep work properly. I hope.

Plan called for 20 miles at PMP plus 30 seconds....so my goal was to keep my pace between 8 and 8:30, and to keep my body relaxed and enjoy the run. We had horrible rain and thunder/lightning last night, but by this morning that had cleared out. It was pretty overcast, but thankfully the wind they were calling for had not made an appearance yet, so the breeze I encountered was a welcome dimension to this long run.

I also wanted to try something new on this run, something in preparation of race day itself - eating my jelly beans on the run. I followed Krusty's advice (paraphrasing here...) and decided to prepare a packet of beans to consume every 3 miles, and I apportioned 2 watermelon sports jelly beans and 10 regular jelly beans in each packet. I had 6 packets. Because I knew I would be stopping for water after 10 or 13 miles, I took 3 packets with me for this first leg of the run....and it worked pretty well. It definitely takes "energy" to open the packets, dig the beans out (I dropped plenty), then pop them in my mouth and chew/run/breathe all at the same time. But, I do think the constant consumption helped sustain my energy level, however I did get thirsty. My only stop was at mile 13 for water and a big Pixie Stix (experimenting with them for race day)....then back to the run and beans.

Slowing my pace definitely kept me relaxed and made the run quite enjoyable. I never felt horribly pushed, had plenty of breath to shout to folks along the way, and I stayed comfortable on my feet. Speaking of on my feet, slowing this pace down also kept me on my feet a little longer, so that is a plus too.

Splits:
    8:25, 8:12, 7:58, 8:04, 8:13, 8:11, 8:07, 8:20, 8:15, 8:09, 8:19, 8:12, 8:04, 8:01, 8:12, 8:04, 8:04, 8:07, 8:06, 7:48

20 miles, 2:42:56, 8:09 min/mile

Cool down: .6 mile, 5:28.39, (9.07 min/mile pace)

My goals for today were accomplished, so I am very pleased with this run. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had those beans today. I fought with the opening for a good five minutes before ripping the pack apart with my teeth and scattering beans everywhere. Fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Solid running there, confidence levels must be high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great running Dory you are well set for the marathon at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Top notch stuff Dory! :)

When eating the beans I normally eat a pack at a time (maybe I shouldn't?:P), but that way it's easier to not drop them, as I just pre tear the pack before I leave, so all I have to do is squeeze the top into an O, and pour them in my mouth (nom nom).

If you're struggling picking a few out at a time, maybe keep your empty packets, and once you have enough, you can split the full packs into "portion packs", that way, you can just pour them in, and not have to worry about picking them out!

Top notch stuff Dory! :)

When eating the beans I normally eat a pack at a time (maybe I shouldn't?:P), but that way it's easier to not drop them, as I just pre tear the pack before I leave, so all I have to do is squeeze the top into an O, and pour them in my mouth (nom nom).

If you're struggling picking a few out at a time, maybe keep your empty packets, and once you have enough, you can split the full packs into "portion packs", that way, you can just pour them in, and not have to worry about picking them out!

Brilliant stuff, insink! I used tin foil to wrap my beans up yesterday, and that wasn't too bad, but I think your suggestion about saving the empty packets will make it easier on me. Or at least I will try it next weekend. How do you carry your packs? RayCun shared with me his arm wallet (which I love - thank you RayCun!), and I have ordered a few slightly different yet similar arm/wrist wallets to try out. They should be here this week, so I will be packing them with jelly beans and maybe Pixie Stix or Jello powder for next weekend's run. :)

Trainer

Threw down 42 miles on the trainer whilst watching that crazy British cinema blockbuster "Love Actually" starring those lovable British kids from, er, Britian. Well, Hugh Grant was in it.....and Liam somebody, but I think he's actually from Scotland or Ireland.....and it was probably produced in the States....but, all the actors had British accents or at least most of them did....and there was a Prime Minister, played by, um, Hugh Grant, who is British, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I'm just about positive he is. Loved him in "3 Weddings and a Funeral".

Any way....easy going the first few miles, increased effort after that, some really hard spurts, then easy again for the last few miles. Decent session. Decent movie.

42 miles in approximately 2 hours 20ish minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Hydration-Lemon-Drink-Tablets/dp/B004QGC9XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330900533&sr=8-1

Another suggestion for your beans. Find a container like above have one in each hand. I have heard holding something in each hand like above will help keep you relaxed. Also a quick pop of the lid and a glug of beans with lid back on and you are sorted. Saves you rooting around or trying to tear bags.

Advertisement