Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

shazkea wrote: »
    That's some serious turbo time you've been getting in recently. Making me feel very guilty - must dust mine off and get going again. Ta for the guilt trip :D

Good to see the leg is healing and all systems go.

With speedy intervals like you're running (I've seen your splits!), there's no need to feel guilty about the bike! And...the creme egg you rewarded yourself with? Yum. But I'm partial to the peanut butter filled ones. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

mmm peanut butter :D

To answer your question rather tardily, you could begin to taper the bike volume in the next 2 weeks and do it until you are down to some short easy sessions in between your running days. A 20-30 min super light spin after your long run is good to wind the legs down too. Forget about any bike intensity 3weeks before the marathon just have the best crack off it you can. You deserve a savage a result for the workload you are putting in.

Looks like I'm your next scalp on the SBR. Don't mind hoochiedoubledee being on top of me though :)

mmm peanut butter :D

To answer your question rather tardily, you could begin to taper the bike volume in the next 2 weeks and do it until you are down to some short easy sessions in between your running days. A 20-30 min super light spin after your long run is good to wind the legs down too. Forget about any bike intensity 3weeks before the marathon just have the best crack off it you can. You deserve a savage a result for the workload you are putting in.

Looks like I'm your next scalp on the SBR. Don't mind hoochiedoubledee being on top of me though :)

Can't think of a thing I'd enjoy more. ;)

Oh...and yeah (almost forgot due to the distraction...)....thanks for the bike tips.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You guys need to get a room...!

But I'm sure you saw his pic Dory. Swit swoo. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    You guys need to get a room...!

But I'm sure you saw his pic Dory. Swit swoo. :)

Huh? His pic the one where he's looking like the hot SBR stud that he is, all sweaty in his Limerick tri-suit was posted? No. I must've missed that. ;)

• Advertisement

A "Swim Your Own Race" 20 Mile Run

Last weekend's ugly struggle of an 18 mile run still haunted me before today's shimmy and shake - thoughts of how physically difficult it was to get through that run because of my strained hip muscle were still close to the surface and today's goal was to put that to rest.

Okay...a bit of background - I have never been the type of person who, when purchasing a new gadget or piece of equipment, necessarily bogs themselves down with all the details of the assembly instructions. I look at the big picture, brief myself on the important things, and then usually just go from there. Sometimes this approach works, and sometimes it doesn't - but it's just how I approach most things. My marathon training is sort of the same way. I have a plan I am following that contains key sessions, basic guidance, and certain specific targets and parameters, but it has been made apparent to me that while I am keeping to the basic bones of this plan, I am not keeping to all the specifics and minutiae of it. In part, this is just my style....and in part, it is also my learning curve. Will it work on race day? I have no idea. Is it the end of my world if I bomb on race day? No. I'll just reassess and go from there.

I mention the above because I decided that today's 20 mile run was going to be done on my terms. The plan called for it to be at PMP plus 30 seconds, but I decided that I would run it at a pace that I enjoyed, and it would be at a pace that was on the upper end of my limit. My mom was one of my biggest supporters when I swam competitively, and whenever she thought my performance was being dictated by another competitor she would say to me, "swim your own race". Her words were my mantra today. I swam my own race today.

A couple of items for full disclosure - course was relatively flat (still protecting my strained muscle), stopped for water and jelly beans at mile 9.75 and 16.33, stopped very briefly two other times to say hello to friends, and it was very windy - especially windy starting at mile 10, and increasing gustiness as my run continued on making the last couple of miles my hardest. I did decide to make mile 20 a pseudo cool down mile (thank you Krusty for planting that seed!)....plus I was pooped at that point.

Splits:
    8:03, 7:53, 7:40, 7:46, 7:55, 7:43, 7:53, 7:53, 7:48, 7:47, 8:06, 7:58, 7:49, 7:48, 8:08, 7:54, 7:50, 8:15, 7:46, 8:25 (cool down)

20.1 miles, 2:39:45, 7:55 min/mile

Session conclusion - last weekend's demons are gone.......I probably went a little too hard the first half of this run (but it's an exploration process for me).....I felt pretty good and I stayed relaxed for almost the entire run.....I am not convinced I can sustain an 8 min/mile pace for 26 miles on the big day (marathon course will have many more hills, and there will be no refreshment or socializing stops)......BUT I am gaining confidence that I should be somewhere between 8 and 8:30 min/mile on race day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm starting to feel confident about my ability to hold close to 8 min/mile pace at my next marathon, and my 20 mile splits are nowhere near as good as yours. Don't be too cautious. Do you know what your HR is like at the pace you ran today?

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel confident about my ability to hold close to 8 min/mile pace at my next marathon, and my 20 mile splits are nowhere near as good as yours. Don't be too cautious. Do you know what your HR is like at the pace you ran today?

Yeah, but remember I was on a relatively flat course and took a few stops, so that has to add to my pace.

The wearing-of-the-heart-rate-monitor idea popped in my head at around mile 4, as that's when I realized that I (once again) had not strapped that thing around my chest. :( So, no, I don't know what the ticker's pace was at today. Based on how I felt and my past (and minimal) experiences with the monitor, I'd say it was in the mid to upper 150s for the guts of this run - but I could also be way off base here. What is yours at usually on a long run?

My HR seems to be higher than everyone else in these parts, a sign of my lardiness me thinks.

Based on some lab tests I has done before my first IM I work off a max HR of 187. My marathon programme is from P&D and they assign %'s of max HR for different types of run. For me An LSR should be done at between mid 140's and 150's bpm & 10-20% slower than PMP. Marathon pace is up to mid 160's bpm. When I started the programme my HR tended to be elevated for a given pace, but now I seem to be sitting nicely at the expected HR for a given pace, which makes me think I'm getting into 3.30 marathon condition. I'll know on April 1st :)

My HR seems to be higher than everyone else in these parts, a sign of my lardiness me thinks.

Based on some lab tests I has done before my first IM I work off a max HR of 187. My marathon programme is from P&D and they assign %'s of max HR for different types of run. For me An LSR should be done at between mid 140's and 150's bpm & 10-20% slower than PMP. Marathon pace is up to mid 160's bpm. When I started the programme my HR tended to be elevated for a given pace, but now I seem to be sitting nicely at the expected HR for a given pace, which makes me think I'm getting into 3.30 marathon condition. I'll know on April 1st :)

Ahhh...your marathon is one week before mine. I'll be VERY interested in how you do. What is your resting heart rate?

• Advertisement

I've never actually properly checked my resting HR. I *think* it's mid to low 50's. Now might not be the best time to check as I'm only a couple of hours after A 10km TT :)

I've never actually properly checked my resting HR. I *think* it's mid to low 50's. Now might not be the best time to check as I'm only a couple of hours after A 10km TT :)

No, not the best time to check. Mine is higher than that at rest - but I think mid to low 50s is a pretty good resting rate for you....I think. I know there are plent of websites that will give you info on where you should be based on age, etc., and I remember when I checked mine, I determined my resting rate was just very average for a female at my age. I was a little disappointed, but I guess we all can't have Lance Armstrong's heart rate. ;)

Trainer

Easy post-20-mile-run spin on trainer. 15 miles in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A couple of weeks tapering + race day adrenaline = sub 3.30, no question

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I am not convinced I can sustain an 8 min/mile pace for 26 miles on the big day.
    I, on the other hand.... :)
    For my first marathon my long runs were run at 9 minute/mile, except for one, which was closer to 8:30. I ran the marathon in 3:25. But at the end of the day, pace isn't that important. What's more important is that you achieve a time you're happy with and really enjoy the entire experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yes I got too stuck up in time the first one I did and felt let down when I trudged home instead of delighted to finish one, so you are doing ok to not be constantly stressing about what you can run. More important enjoy the day and you will run another one quicker than if you blow up after 20

Great running on that LSR, is your average pace for that run faster than your recent 5 and 10k races :eek:, you are deffo suited to the long distance stuff.

catweazle wrote: »
    Yes I got too stuck up in time the first one I did and felt let down when I trudged home instead of delighted to finish one, so you are doing ok to not be constantly stressing about what you can run. More important enjoy the day and you will run another one quicker than if you blow up after 20

Great running on that LSR, is your average pace for that run faster than your recent 5 and 10k races :eek:, you are deffo suited to the long distance stuff.

Definitely not going to stress about time on this first marathon.....but, as someone who has "competitor" flowing through her veins, I will want to do the best that I can do, whatever that means.

Interesting that you asked about my 5k and 10k times and how they compare to my training runs.....as I did that comparison myself just a few days ago. My best 5k pace is 7:30 (in October) and my best (and only) 10k pace is 7:41 (in November), so while my LSR pace yesterday was slower (7:55), the 4 mile tempo run I did just on Wednesday was at 7:16, which, even if you can only compare it to the 5k time, is a pb. :)

And yes, for whatever reason, me and my body feel better at the longer stuff. :)

Trainer

Decided it was way too cold and windy outside to run so I decided I'd trudge downstairs to the comfort of my climate controlled basement and have a little session on the trainer. I wasn't really in the mood to listen to tunes (a real rarity!) so I perused the free options on my cable service. My first choice was an old (and outdated) comedy about hockey called Slap Shot. While I was marginally amused for the first 30 minutes at the humor, hair styles and very bad fashion, I tired of it all and became quite bored...so back to perusing my free options. I then settled on an independent film called Man on Wire. Loved it! Loved the story...loved the way the film was structured....loved the photography and the cinematography and the incorporation and use of black and white. It was well done and well told....and the artistry was not only in the making of the film, but it was in the content and subject (the man himself) of the film as well. Philippe (the highwire walker) was no doubt a passionate poet who expressed himself best through his movement, grace and vulnerability while on a single cable way up in the clouds. (dpop, you'd love this film!)

Any way.....40 miles in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

If I could run like you, I'd be very happy camper!

That 20 miler was a doozie! Can't wait to see how you get on in April, you're gonna eat up the road from the looks of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

A "Swim Your Own Race" 20 Mile Run

20.1 miles, 2:39:45, 7:55 min/mile

Just reading this now Dory, what a great run! You're well on course; these long runs are the sort of tests that give you an idea of how training is progressing. You've every right to be pleased. Vindication so far of your SBR program! I can see where MCOS is coming from with regards to tapering from the bike, but on the other hand, if it ain't broke...? What are your plans; change the bike/run ratio, or as you are?

(PS thanks for the rec, will look up Man on Wire)

• Advertisement

Hey your FB profile pic and the cover of Chrissie Wellingtons book look more or less the same!!!

Hey your FB profile pic and the cover of Chrissie Wellingtons book look more or less the same!!!

OMG...you are sort of right. I must confess, I have no idea who Chrissie Wellington is, but I like her book cover. My FB pic is me on top of Croagh Patrick last July. The moment was spontaneous, and it captured the essence of how I felt. So, um, you look me up on FB but don't send me a friend request?? ;)

Just reading this now Dory, what a great run! You're well on course; these long runs are the sort of tests that give you an idea of how training is progressing. You've every right to be pleased. Vindication so far of your SBR program! I can see where MCOS is coming from with regards to tapering from the bike, but on the other hand, if it ain't broke...? What are your plans; change the bike/run ratio, or as you are?

(PS thanks for the rec, will look up Man on Wire)

The taper....still working out the details in my mind (and going based on feel), and I need to review shotgun's recommendations....but....

...what I sort of have in mind at this moment is to behave myself the week before the marathon and abide by the training plan as follows: I will not add extra mileage to the key running sessions (typically I add 4 to 5 miles to interval and tempo sessions), on recovery days I will stick to the recommended 30 to 60 minutes of lower intensity activity (I usually do 90 to 120 minutes), and I will rest on the day prior to the race. No swimming the week before the marathon either. So, in terms of bike to running ratio (and these numbers are off the top of my head, so please pardon me if they are off a bit), I think right now my ratio is approx 1.2 : 1 - bike to run. Probably the week before the marathon it will be more like 1 : 1 - pretty even. For me, there is definite value in the bike - it has made my legs so much stonger and gets rid of all the bad stuff after a tough session, plus easier on this body.

The week before the week before the race (two weeks out) I will probably not change too much other than lowering the intensity of non-key run sessions, which will result in less mileage on the bike and run, but the ratio may stay approximately the same. Maybe some would say to taper even more than I am suggesting, which I will give some thought to, but I know I'll go mad if I'm not doing something (plus weight gain!!)....and I only remember tapering one week in swimming, but perhaps my mind is tricking me.

The biggest thing I think I need to concentrate on at this point is my diet. I tend to eat crap and not enough stuff I probably need to eat to propery fuel me for this long run. Any suggestions are appreciated. I've got just under 7 weeks to go, so I'm thinking it's time to start consuming the good stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

So, um, you look me up on FB but don't send me a friend request?? ;)

Stalker alert.....

Trot Around Town

Okay....I wrote this very long and very boring story about my run, most of which had no relevance to anything anyone would have any interest in....so I then deleted it. But I'm a nutshell, this was the highlight of the run....

Town trot....snatched up a runaway border collie dashing down Court Street with his leash dragging behind him...we ran together for a while looking for his owners.....ended up at the local jail and convinced the less-than-pleasant magistrate to call animal control....waited outside jail for animal control to arrive (exchanged hellos with a few of their residents)....animal control came and I tried to persuade him to drive me home and I would keep the very sweet pooch, but he would not do it.....so off the officer and my new friend went to doggie lockup for the evening. I will check on him tomorrow. We'll find his owners. :)

The run.....lots of hills.....easy pace....lovely evening....clear and crisp.

10.3 miles, 1:39:24, 9:37 min/mile

Still waiting on that FB friend request....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I'm a nut

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury ... ;) nice work with the doggie

Hey +1

Nice work on the doggie

as for the friend request. I rarely use FB but now that I've finally joined the fancy android phone brigade (only cause I got one free) I suppose I'll be sociable :)

interested wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury ... ;) nice work with the doggie

Haven't you got some laps you need to swim?? ;)

Thanks about the dog. And all's well that end's well - owners were found this morning. Yay!! Now I don't have to worry about the little fella being in lockup.
    Hey +1

Nice work on the doggie

as for the friend request. I rarely use FB but now that I've finally joined the fancy android phone brigade (only cause I got one free) I suppose I'll be sociable :)

No worries...I'm rarely ever am on FB myself as most of my computer time is now spent in virtual-Ireland sharing war stories with fellow athletes. But....I'm pretty sure I'll accept your request as soon as it comes a-knocking. ;)

Yoga

Nothing like a little 90 minute yoga class to unearth sore and tired muscles that I didn't realize were sore and tired. I assume it's residual fatigue from Saturday's long run that I pushed....and, to my surprise, my lower abdominal muscles are sore!! What's up with that? It's a new soreness from running that I've never experienced. They don't hurt, but they are sore. I guess this is just a normal byproduct of this kind of training...? :confused:

(gosh...how many times in one brief post can I include the term "sore"? Apparently 5...or 6, depending on how you want to count it...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Yoga

Nothing like a little 90 minute yoga class to unearth sore and tired muscles that I didn't realize were sore and tired. I assume it's residual fatigue from Saturday's long run that I pushed....and, to my surprise, my lower abdominal muscles are sore!! What's up with that? It's a new soreness from running that I've never experienced. They don't hurt, but they are sore. I guess this is just a normal byproduct of this kind of training...? :confused:

(gosh...how many times in one brief post can I include the term "sore"? Apparently 5...or 6, depending on how you want to count it...)

You've been training hard for quite a while, and the intensity and distances have upped over the last few weeks. Approaching max milage weeks; its quite usual at this stage in a marathon program for the muscles to start complaining, and for little stresses and niggles to appear. Soreness, its expected.

It's also expected and quite usual for a novice marathoner to start doubting their program, their milage, their ability to perform on the day, so in case you're experiencing any of this too, just realize its all par for the course. Your training has been great so far, trust your ability and stay the course!

Advertisement