Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and time keeping...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Would you not agree that culturally we (the general we) are more relaxed about stuff like time-keeping? It's good that we're relaxed I think, but sometimes it can go too far. It really only looks like the OP is making an observation IMO. There are broad social trends applicable to all nations, some good and some bad. I'd be someone who tries not to generalise and instead look at each individual, but in fairness, some group tendencies are undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Dudess wrote: »
    Would you not agree that culturally we (the general we) are more relaxed about stuff like time-keeping? It's good that we're relaxed I think, but sometimes it can go too far. It really only looks like the OP is making an observation IMO. There are broad social trends applicable to all nations, some good and some bad. I'd be someone who tries not to generalise and instead look at each individual, but in fairness, some group tendencies are undeniable.

Yes, I totally agree with the fact the attitude to life in Ireland is relaxed. I lived in London for 10 years and ran around with everybody else, and it drove me mental. I came home about 6 years ago, and the first thing I done was dumped my watch! I appreciate time now, as I understand it.

I have no problem with the OP other than the fact that she says
    Biedronka wrote: »
    So, why is this so difficult for most of you?

I doubt she has met 2 people, let alone 2 Irish people on boards, this is what struck me when I first read the thread...

I gave my opinion on the thread a while ago
    parrai wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Biedronka viewpost.gif
    So, why is this so difficult for most of you?
    Whilst you have a valid point in time keeping and making appointments being important, the problem is your issue with IRISH people when this is a common problem in a lot of trades, in a lot of countries around the world... You just can't generalise like this without getting people annoyed... It make your point sound fascist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Biedronka viewpost.gif
    It really drives me crazy -almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!
    People who provide any kind of service and coming to my house, to fix something etc -I try to make appointment with them and I hear -
    between 4-6.. WHAT>??? Are you kiding?I am not going to sit all afternoon and wait for you -forget!

In any business that requires a call out, a business can only give a certain time period, because the simple fact is, no-one can predict the way their day will turn out... They can look at the day the have mapped out, and say these jobs will take a certain amount of time and it SHOULD be possible to fit your job in...

Now I agree, this should be said at the beginning.

But she called me on my point, so I felt I had to clarify...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

In Poland, but there is so many Irish people here already, they just keep coming but they are all late. :rolleyes:
    Read my posts again, I live in Ireland.

Maybe you should read your posts again. Still not sure where you're living now.

Are you in Poland and hiring Irish workers or in Ireland and hiring Irish workers?
    If you're in Poland then simply hire Polish people. You give the impression that they're never late so you'll have no problem.
    If you're in Ireland then simply tell the person you speak to you need a shorter time frame for when they're arriving and if they don't show up at the agreed time you'll be contracting someone else to do the work.
    Or else, take the good with the bad. People in Ireland may not be strict on time-keeping (as many other nationalities are not) but there are plenty of other great qualities that balance that.
    And for your example where someone rang you and cancelled because his child was sick, your reaction is the 'bad' part of the story for me. Personal matters are a lot more important than work matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You wouldn't like Italy OP

Trains on time? Hah, they make CIE look professional.
    Where's Mussolini when you need him

Laid back and lousy service in the places I went to

People relaxing and on a go slow

Ireland is not the best but it's certainly not the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 7 daisilin

al28283 wrote: »
    Would you rather the plumber/electrician/whatever leave your house with the job unfinished because he has another job scheduled? Or wiould you rather him finish the job and be a bit late to his next job?

i think that the plumber/electrician/whatever when he realise that he will be late for his next job to call the guy from his next job and tell him, look i am going to be late 30 min is this ok with you or should we reschedule? and finnish the job he started at your house. i think that should be standard procedure that they inform customer in good time if is going to be delays, apologise and reschedule. saves time for the customer and people will be pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Tazz T wrote: »

I hate people who are late. What they're saying by being late is that your time isn't as important as theirs, i,e, they're superior to you.

I totally feel that way too - it really annoys me.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Plumbers etc could be late due to a previous job running late. Therefore between 4 and 6 is perfectly reasonable. At least they're honest.

I'm on time unless something happens beyond my control. If I'm delayed I will always call to let the other party know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

daisilin wrote: »
    i think that the plumber/electrician/whatever when he realise that he will be late for his next job to call the guy from his next job and tell him, look i am going to be late 30 min is this ok with you or should we reschedule? and finnish the job he started at your house. i think that should be standard procedure that they inform customer in good time if is going to be delays, apologise and reschedule. saves time for the customer and people will be pleased.

This sounds wonderful in theory but in practise if they are up to their eyeballs in water with the customer roaring at them and they have to start calling other customers to let them know their going to be late - and then the phone rings out it's not easy. Jobs like this are by their nature hard to predict how long they will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

As much as I want to argue with the OP and am annoyed she is calling out the Irish she is right, We are waiting on a guy to clear out our chimney. The landlord said they will be there last Friday so i stayed in all day for him and nothing! Called landlord and she seemed as pissed off as me and said the same thing about the recession and people should be thanking you for work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That would be my take on it to and the point OP was making .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DLC69

Irish tradesmen are notoriously bad for not showing up...not doing a thorough job...not cleaning up...and not coming back to fix things if they weren't done properly. What's really shocking, the recession hasn't changed their behavior at all!

The only good thing about this is...the tradesmen who do show up and get the job done properly have a very loyal customer base. My best advice is ask around and see who other people trust. I've found some great plumbers, electricians and auto mechanics by word of mouth...and yes, they are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

-and if they won't change their attitude they wil ever get out of recession!

Seriously, maybe I was just unlucky with people lately, but I am just mad at this stage. One guy was supposed to fix the gas boiler and he told me he will come on Tuesday at 5. He came at 5.40 and said he won't be able to fix this that day, so we agreed he will come at the same time next day.
    He never came on Wednsday, but on Saturday moring at 9am and was ringing the bell like crazy when I came back home at 2 the night before!
    Didn;t let him him, that was a joke!
    Locksmith came 1.20h late - the same story, said its too late to do the job and told me he will come next day at 7. He called me at 7.20 and said his kid is sick, so he is not coming. Ridiculous!

Landlords are just the whole different story and I will not even start on this.. :/

ps: I know there is probably MANY decent irish repairman who are always on time, but I wasn't lucky to meet eve one unfortunately.
    When I called polish electrician , he wasn't even one minute late and he did job in 20 minutes and cleaned after.

Well then the answer is simple..............

Only deal with polish tradesmen job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

Kasabian wrote: »

You must learn to adapt to your new surroundings and learn the culture and ways of the country you have decided to make your home in.

If you would live i Poland for few years and you would tell me that polish people are grumpy, they don't smile much and customer service in shops sucks -I would't tell you "you should addapt" -I would tell you you are right and that I hope this will change in near future...
    Bad time keeping has nothing to do with culture - maybe lack of good manners.

DLC69 wrote: »
    I've found some great plumbers, electricians and auto mechanics by word of mouth...and yes, they are Irish.

That is good idea, but we have moved recently and we don't know to many people around, but I will try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Cua! Irish people. Typical. What else could you say about them. jeez. Just typical.

Anyway on another topic you should move to Germany i hear they are very good time keepers.

I like my time keeping and 81% the other end is late. so i agree. Typical :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought that furniture there consisted of a big mat.

Yeah you have to use strong nails to keep them down.

The Irish aren't so bad... In Laos or the Philippines, the bus doesn't leave until it's full.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

It's the only fashion I can afford - to be late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

-wow :rolleyes:

hmm, it is not such a sh*thole you know, its over 3 times bigger then Ireland, there are mountains, there is sea, there are beautiful historical towns.. ;)

a bigger sh*thole than i imagined then

I've done it myself but I don't go about slagging off the natives and making out their all lazy work sky idiots who can't work a clock either. My problem is not someone coming to Ireland, it's his/her attitude generalising about Irish people I have a problem with.

exactly, and i know where it always comes from... why do the irish do this, why do they etc etc, what IS their problem? its like they are constantly trying to find faults. they hear about irish music, irish economy when it was good, irish actors, film? i don't know what the inclination is with them to constantly try and find faults and COMPLAIN! yes we're crap at football, ok at rugby, we have our faults along with every other country and its peoples too.

even when Barak Obama was here, i had a brazilian friend complaining about all the fuss there was about it here??? or perhaps their country weren't getting all the attention or because they just can't figure it out how every 3rd person from N. America has an irish relative? beats me really. is it jealousy or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

adomino wrote: »
    -wow :rolleyes:

hmm, it is not such a sh*thole you know, its over 3 times bigger then Ireland, there are mountains, there is sea, there are beautiful historical towns.. ;)

Awful to criticise Irish people, but no prob for you to call Poland a sh1t-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

........ sorry I'm late for this thread. Too many glasses of wine last night! :(

Awful to criticise Irish people, but no prob for you to call Poland a sh1t-hole.

well warsaw aint exactly pretty, i was talking about the buildings, people? nah

irish=people
    poland=not people

polish people are grumpy, they don't smile much and customer service in shops sucks

and this is good manners too?

whatever about been 'always' on time, that does not mean they are great 'reliable' workers.

i worked with a hungarian, he was nearly always on time, but a clock watcher. when 5pm came, you bet he was out that door on the dot!

now, apart from pretending he couldn't do a certain job, a famous one was 'i'll try' after been showed how to do the job before, he would always try to land some job he pretended he couldn't do on to someone else.

no paid overtime existed here, but jobs would often run until 5.30 maybe even 6. as it turned out, the boss wasn't strict on start time or lunch breaks etc.

so, which employee is the most valuable here? the clock watcher or the one who won't leave till the job is done?

i often stayed till 8pm cause i loved my job and wanted it done right, an understanding thats called 'responsibility'.

and this is good manners too?

Did you read my post? I think it was clear I don't like it, how I could think its good manners.. :rolleyes: its hard to have any discussion with some people..

well warsaw aint exactly pretty, i was talking about the buildings, people? nah

irish=people
    poland=not people

No, Warsaw is not pretty, because it was ruined by germans durind 2WW and rebuild during comunism, so it isn't all pretty, but you havent seen it all for sure, so.. and Poland is not only Warsaw but much more..
    I will leave second part of your post without a comment.

Your imagination sucks

Your imagination sucks

where is the thread where you complained about Irish stereotypes of polish people?

another poster mentioned this on page 15.

may i suggest this thread for you:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055986590

go for it! complain you seem to like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Taking the piss lateness annoys me but if a friend is 5 mins late meeting me, I don't care.

Regular lateness for work is pretty bad though - though everyone sleeps it out at some stage in their life, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

kfallon wrote: »
    As a matter of interest is there ever a story about UPC that has a happy ending???

I was served by a UPC technician one day between 1-6. Have to stay at home and wait for him. Luckly my boss was away that day so this is an excuse for me not to go to work.:o He showed on time at 2pm and finished job quickly. I was a happy man.:p

Advertisement