Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and time keeping...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I was going to reply to this earlier but *insert pun here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

Animord wrote: »
    Its ok, I'm TOTALLY on your side now - the person I am meeting is LATE! :mad:

But hey, I'll have a glass of wine and if his dinner is burnt then so be it!:p

-if you cook for somebody who is late -just drink everything, eat your's, eat or burn his and let him cook next time and be 2 hours late (eat out something nice during that time). :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Biedronka wrote: »
    In Poland, but there is so many Irish people here already, they just keep coming but they are all late. :rolleyes:

200k of you in this tiny state, can't be that bad a place, don't see us rushing to move to your sh*thole of a country.

200k of you in this tiny state, can't be that bad a place, don't see us rushing to move to your sh*thole of a country.

-wow :rolleyes:

hmm, it is not such a sh*thole you know, its over 3 times bigger then Ireland, there are mountains, there is sea, there are beautiful historical towns.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Charming. And of course the Irish never went anywhere in order to try and better their lot. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

That's just unnecessary. You're not exactly a great ambassador for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I do tend to be a latecomer, but have been recently trying to change :o

I was raised by parents to not arrive to school until a few minutes before it started, even though I always wanted to be there early.

That's my excuse for being naturally late anyway! Like I said, I'm making an effort to change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

-hmm, I wouldn't be so sure with all that rain and darkness.. I love Ireland, but I wouldn't say it is not depressing sometimes... in Poland you get hot summer and white winter at least its is brighter.. ;)

/sets trap

Ah yes, but our swans taste better.

*waits* o_o

Millicent wrote: »
    That's just unnecessary. You're not exactly a great ambassador for the country.

Don't worry you are all great and welcoming and the only time in 6 years I felt I am not welcomed here was when I heard from man at gate at Shannon airport:
    "you can all go home -I don't mind" (after I was saying bye to my Mum who was here on holidays -which she loved and I asked him to show her direction).

(I was glad she didn't understand that comment)

Abi - I am vegetarian.

Don't worry you are all great and welcoming and the only time in 6 years I felt I am not welcomed here was when I heard from man at gate at Shannon airport:
    "you can all go home -I don't mind" (after I was saying bye to my Mum who was here on holidays -which she loved and I asked him to show her direction).

(I was glad she didn't understand that comment)

Abi - I am vegetarian.

Ah, he was what is known round these parts as a "dickhead" or a "gobsh1te". They're all over the world, sadly.

• Advertisement

Animord wrote: »
    Charming. And of course the Irish never went anywhere in order to try and better their lot. :rolleyes:

I've done it myself but I don't go about slagging off the natives and making out their all lazy work sky idiots who can't work a clock either. My problem is not someone coming to Ireland, it's his/her attitude generalising about Irish people I have a problem with.

Abi - I am vegetarian.

Dammit. Foiled.

/punches palm

How about a Quorn swan sammich? :pac:

Millicent wrote: »
    They're all over the world, sadly.

I know, thats why I said you are great (I am sure there would be much more xenophobia and nationalism in Poland with that many imigrants.

I know, thats why I said you are great (I am sure there would be much more xenophobia and nationalism in Poland with that many imigrants.

Eh, listen pal you're the one spouting the ignorant generalisations about Irish people like we're all too dumb to work a clock, don't be pulling the victim card.

it's her attitude generalising about Irish people I have a problem with.

-I think I said just as many or more nice things about Irish people as bad things and I mentioned as well that I know its not everyone, but this is my experience recently.

-I think I said just as many or more nice things about Irish people as bad things and I mentioned as well that I know its not everyone, but this is my experience recently.

I'll start a thread generalising about Polish people and see how long that thread lasts and see the same people defending you call me a racist. I don't see why it's okay for people to come out with racist generalisations about Irish people that we can basically can't work a clock or keep time when it was about a foreign nationality it would be racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

it's his/her attitude generalising about Irish people I have a problem with.
    don't see us rushing to move to your sh*thole of a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Oh FFS. If she or he were German would we mind so much? I mean we know the German's are more punctual, right? I suppose the Poles are too. We are not. Or rather certain groups - like plumbers are not. This is hardly the worst criticism ever laid against the Irish. Why so uppity?

;) Read your above posts quoted by Dudess and think why if you have a problem just with me you are calling my country a shi*thole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'll start a thread generalising about Polish people and see how long that thread lasts and see the same people defending you call me a racist. I don't see why it's okay for people to come out with racist generalisations about Irish people that we can basically can't work a clock or keep time when it was about a foreign nationality it would be racist.
    The OP is referring to ONE thing - you're the one making up other sh1t (about us being lazy and work-shy and unable to use a clock) and attributing it to the OP. It's based on the OP's own observations - a laid-back attitude here to time-keeping, which is true. Just because the OP highlights this one thing doesn't mean they've a problem with Ireland/the Irish overall - again, that's just you jumping to a conclusion, and they've said plenty of good things about us.
    I'm sure you've made generalisations about other nationalities - the English for example, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Dudess wrote: »
    The OP is referring to ONE thing - you're the one making up other sh1t (about us being lazy and work-shy and unable to use a clock) and attributing it to the OP. It's based on the OP's own observations - a laid-back attitude here to time-keeping, which is true. Just because the OP highlights this one thing doesn't mean they've a problem with Ireland/the Irish overall - again, that's just you jumping to a conclusion, and they've said plenty of good things about us.
    I'm sure you've made generalisations about other nationalities - the English for example, no doubt.

tbf the op is not referring to one thing in her op, she has criticised several things and '' what is wrong with most of ye'' is what annoyed me.
    Personally I am a stickler for time, hate to be late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Evaex

hondasam wrote: »
    tbf the op is not referring to one thing in her op, she has criticised several things and '' what is wrong with most of ye'' is what annoyed me.
    Personally I am a stickler for time, hate to be late.

Polish people are too busy sponging off the state to care about time-keeping. Same as the Nigerians, with their medical cards, rent allowance, time-keeping, back to school allowance, unmarried mother allownance, etc.

The Polish people are usually too f*cked on vodka too. I suppose that's better than driving dodgy taxi's and being generally ignorant like the Nigerians are.

Mod note: user banned

Evaex wrote: »
    Polish people are too busy sponging off the state to care about time-keeping. Same as the Nigerians, with their medical cards, rent allowance, time-keeping, back to school allowance, unmarried mother allownance, etc.

The Polish people are usually too f*cked on vodka too. I suppose that's better than driving dodgy taxi's and being generally ignorant like the Nigerians are.

I hope your folks are proud of the person you became. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Sorry I'm going to be a bit late, I'm stuck behind 2 tractors.

Have to say I haven't met a single Polish person that fits the description you provided above. I don't know what you're basing that on exactly :confused:

Nigerians are a LOT different than Polish people, in every possible way

It's funny, I'm supposed to meet a mate at 8.00 tonight, he just texted to say he'd be 10 minutes late.....:)

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Have to say I haven't met a single Polish person that fits the description you provided above. I don't know what you're basing that on exactly :confused:

He was being sarcastic, he's not being serious.

coonecb1 wrote: »

Yes, for example, they don't even come from the same country. :/

Let's not encourage any discrimination to either group, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Advertisement