Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and time keeping...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

As a foreigner living here I find the time keeping being one of the appeals of Irish culture. OP YOU have decided to live in Ireland if time is so precious to you then I suggest you finalise a time and explain your reason when making an appointment. What really annoyed me was your generalisation about Irish people is not nice. This is developing into a problem in Ireland because Irish people are too accommodating IMHO.
    The number of patently untrue and unkind things you hear such as the Irish are lazy is really astonishing and the urban myth has grown legs and developed that many foreigners actually believe it.
    You and other foreigners show Ireland and its people zero respect, but are happy to live here and benefit from the society both culturally and monetary that this country provides. I work in a multi-national with a lot of foreigners some nationalities are better than others but the EE are the most vocal when bad mouthing Ireland. In the canteen when I hear it I just get up and leave. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I don't understand why a person who is living long term in another country by choice would bitch and moan regularly about its people, unless they're putting up with regular sh1te from a number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand why a person who is living long term in another country by choice would bitch and moan regularly about its people, unless they're putting up with regular sh1te from a number of them.

on form this morning dudess i see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

SWL wrote: »
    I work in a multi-national with a lot of foreigners some nationalities are better than others but the EE are the most vocal when bad mouthing Ireland. In the canteen when I hear it I just get up and leave. :mad

Now you do exactly what you hated from the OP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

You and other foreigners show Ireland and its people zero respect, but are happy to live here and benefit from the society both culturally and monetary that this country provides.

As I mentioned before I am married to Irish man, so please don't start with me having no respect etc, because this is just simple thinking and has nothing to do with anything. My husband thinks the same as I am and and is just as much upset with it when it happens.
    Who has no respect is the people who waste your time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2 Irish lads that had to start at 11:00 still not here lol.

Just saying.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

The Irish way of taking it easy and tossing away the timetable has been so liberating to me. I'm not Irish. I'm from one of those countries where we do everything according to the clock and I must confess I'm sick and tired of always following a timetable - even in my sparetime (just because that is the way I'm "supposed" to do it) :)

However, this isn't always a good thing... And I totally get why the OP is upset about it. If you decide a place and time, you have to be there (on time) out of respect for the other person (especially if it's work-related). That's just the way it is. If you can't make it, call and say so in advance! :)

Still not here, and I am not even trolololing :D

Biedronka wrote: »
    As I mentioned before I am married to Irish man, so please don't start with me having no respect etc, because this is just simple thinking and has nothing to do with anything. My husband thinks the same as I am and and is just as much upset with it when it happens.
    Who has no respect is the people who waste your time!

The nationality of your husband is irrelevant. Go back and re-read your OP you made (and other nationalities especially those for the new accession states) made sweeping generalisations about Irish people. As I suggested when making the appointment state your preferences for a time.
    To be honest you sound like a nightmare to work for, something tells me you would never be happy with any outcome. Many nationalities that moan and complain about this country are happy to benefit from equality legislation, equal rights between the sexes, employment opportunities that their own country could not provide children’s allowance etc., it is the Irish people who have put those procedures in place yet you and many others refer to them as lazy, thick, and alcoholics.
    To me it is unacceptable if you’re not happy leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The nationality of your husband is irrelevant. Go back and re-read your OP you made (and other nationalities especially those for the new accession states) made sweeping generalisations about Irish people. As I suggested when making the appointment state your preferences for a time.
    To be honest you sound like a nightmare to work for, something tells me you would never be happy with any outcome. Many nationalities that moan and complain about this country are happy to benefit from equality legislation, equal rights between the sexes, employment opportunities that their own country could not provide children’s allowance etc., it is the Irish people who have put those procedures in place yet you and many others refer to them as lazy, thick, and alcoholics.
    To me it is unacceptable if you’re not happy leave.

She doesn't complain about them being lazy, thick or alcoholics. You shouldn't assign arguments to people that they didn't make, it makes you look like a defensive kneejerk reactionary who doesn't take criticism from furriners well.

• Advertisement

+1

There's nothing in the OP about anyone being lazy, thick or an alcoholic.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    She doesn't complain about them being lazy, thick or alcoholics. You shouldn't assign arguments to people that they didn't make, it makes you look like a defensive kneejerk reactionary who doesn't take criticism from furriners well.

I am a foreigner, as I said go back and read her OP, she does make generalisation about Irish people maybe not the three most common which I hear almost on a daily basis, but her generalisations about Irish people have infuriated a lot of posters and rightly so.

+1

There's nothing in the OP about anyone being lazy, thick or an alcoholic.

I said many nationalities I was making a general point not specific to the OP, but I do disagree with her general views

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I am a foreigner, as I said go back and read her OP, she does make generalisation about Irish people maybe not the three most common which I hear almost on a daily basis, but her generalisations about Irish people have infuriated a lot of posters and rightly so.

Then I'd suggest you don't get on her case (again) for arguments she's not making. It makes you look like you're sticking your anger at the other three generalisations into that one specific one. Especially if you tell someone to get out of the country if they don't like it.

Edit: I removed me getting annoyed, because I don't like that 'if you don't like it leave' thing.

She started the thread because of a consistent stream of people being late for appointments she made. It wasn't a singlehanded assault on the Irish nation, it was a peeved observation about how timekeeping doesn't seem to be as important to the Irish people who she makes appointments with (so she has a group she has experienced this with). She's not making things up, she's not calling anyone a horrible name, insulting an entire nation or doing anything wrong. The reason this has gone on as long as it has is because people notice she's foreign, and give her **** over her right to insult Ireland and its Irish people. She'd still have gotten some if she was in dublin, and speaking about her experiences with people from the country (or vice versa) but not as much.

It's bollocks is what it is.

I belive she says "almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!"
    That doesn't say all Irish people are like that, just the ones she's making appointments with:
    It really drives me crazy -almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!
    People who provide any kind of service and coming to my house, to fix something etc -I try to make appointment with them and I hear -
    between 4-6.. WHAT>??? Are you kiding?I am not going to sit all afternoon and wait for you -forget!

I love how any argument or just a little "bitching", turns in to racism fight on AH.

What happened to old good Irish ways like in father ted? Having a good lough or discussion, without involving this racism ****.

" I hear you are a racist now, father " !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Hi I'm here to fix the OP's plumbing. Sorry I'm a bit late, I was supposed to be here earlier but the traffic was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Dublin had it's own time zone, it was 25 mins behind london and when it was abolished many irish people objected and did so by turning up 15 to 25 mins late. The Dublin mean time was calculated from the Dunsink Astronomical Observatory and was changed after the events of the 1916 easter rising as the time difference caused issues with the deployment of troops and getting the gunboat up the river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Mean_Time

UTC−00:25 was used in Ireland as Dublin Mean Time.

Dublin Mean Time was introduced by the Statutes (Definition of Time) Act, 1880,[1] which also defined Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) as legal time in Great Britain. This Act replaced local mean time, which had been held to be the legal time since Curtis v. March in 1858, throughout the United Kingdom.

From 2 am Dublin Mean Time on Sunday 1 October 1916 the Time (Ireland) Act, 1916[2] changed the time used in Ireland to be the same as that used in Great Britain, both during Summer Time and at other times.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Dublin had it's own time zone, it was 25 mins behind london and when it was abolished many irish people objected and did so by turning up 15 to 25 mins late.

That would certainly explain a lot of things... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

So, why is this so difficult for most of you? It really drives me crazy -almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!
    People who provide any kind of service and coming to my house, to fix something etc -I try to make appointment with them and I hear -
    between 4-6.. WHAT>??? Are you kiding?I am not going to sit all afternoon and wait for you -forget!
    This happens all over again
    -with delivery man, plumbers, electricians, babysitter.
    I thought its recesion and people should really care about their customers, but no -they just dont care, there are busy, they alway have exuse!
    From now on I will not let in anybody who is over 5 minutes late, thats it. :mad:

I completely understand what you mean but there is a reasonable explanation for this...

Will wb to your message between 12-5pm Tuesday; until then just sit and wait for me to get around to you... :D

• Advertisement

it was a peeved observation about how timekeeping doesn't seem to be as important to the Irish people who she makes appointments with (so she has a group she has experienced this with). She's not making things up, she's not calling anyone a horrible name, insulting an entire nation or doing anything wrong. The reason this has gone on as long as it has is because people notice she's foreign, and give her **** over her right to insult Ireland and its Irish people.

she was generalising and imo had the cheek to (sure whats new)

get over yourself mate and don't be so angry :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

adomino wrote: »
    it was a peeved observation about how timekeeping doesn't seem to be as important to the Irish people who she makes appointments with (so she has a group she has experienced this with). She's not making things up, she's not calling anyone a horrible name, insulting an entire nation or doing anything wrong. The reason this has gone on as long as it has is because people notice she's foreign, and give her **** over her right to insult Ireland and its Irish people.

she was generalising and imo had the cheek to (sure whats new)

get over yourself mate and don't be so angry :cool:
    Why should he get over himself? That's his view which he's entitled to. I don't like attacks on Irish people or any people, or Irish self loathing, but the OP is simply regaling her experiences. And while there are collective good aspects to any culture, there are also collective bad ones. Pointing one out with back-up is not the same as attacking a people. If the OP experiences much more poor time-keeping in Ireland than in Poland, so be it. I'd well believe it. Things are laid-back here and it's great, but not always.
    If the OP said "Irish people are bad time-keepers, nobody else is" it would be unreasonable, but all she's saying is that she sees a more prevalent pattern of it here than elsewhere. Offence is not intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

So, why is this so difficult for most of you? It really drives me crazy -almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!
    This happens all over again
    -with delivery man, plumbers, electricians, babysitter.
    I thought its recesion and people should really care about their customers, but no -they just dont care, there are busy, they alway have exuse!
    From now on I will not let in anybody who is over 5 minutes late, thats it. :mad:

Have your expected appointments turned up?

If they have can the thread be closed, it is well over due.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think the reason for the strong reactions in this thread is not because people disagree that we're not the best at timekeeping. I'm sure if you look at the "What you hate about Irish people" thread it's mentioned there, and well-thanked to boot.

The reason is humans have a knee-jerk defence mechanism which allows us to freely criticise things we feel attached to, but makes us unable to accept criticisms about them from others.

It's the same with family: if I said to my friend "My brother's such an idiot!" I'd get pretty annoyed if my friend agreed.

I'll admit that my instinctive reaction to the original post was to get defensive and say to myself "Oh yeah!? Well, if you don't like it..." and argue that we're not the only culture with this attitude (which I still maintain!).

But the thing is that I knew right away that I agreed with the OP, and that she was just as entitled to make her point as any of us.

If anything, people should be happy that she's engaged with our culture to the extent that she can recognise this trait.
    I always read and hear people complaining about foreigners not engaging with Irish culture, always sticking with their own compatriots and speaking their native language.

But here we have someone who's engaged enough with our way of doing things to have married one of us, observed us enough to notice out general cultural traits, and craziest of all, come on here to talk to us!

So I say criticise our poor timekeeping all you want!

Dudess wrote: »
    Why should he get over himself?

get over being angry, oh hold on... he wasn't :rolleyes:

To all the people who think "how dare she come here, live and complain", I just want to make something clear for you:

-there is even more things I don't like about polish people habbits and every time I've heard any foreigner saying something or complaining about one of those things I was never upset or accusing this person of having something against Poland or polish people in general - I was only saying that I agree and I think this is annoying and should change!
    I don' understand your reactions -is this because you are so sensitive about what people (foreigners) think about you, or is it because you think I shouldnt have anything to say because I don;t belong here in your opinion anyway?
    I really don't get it!
    By the way -this happened again today:D (somebody was going to come and collect something I bought online recently and didnt like between 1-4, now is 4.06 -nobody showed up. It was 4 hours they had. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I agree it's annoying when people don't keep appointments but on the flip side I have a mate and everything has to be so precise with him..."see you at 08.04am" "I was cruising around the town in my jeep yesterday at 63kph" I mean come on man, stop being so f*****g anal about it :mad:

LaVail wrote: »
    "see you at 08.04am"

That is strange time to make appointment at. :pac: Why not at least 08.05!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

That is strange time to make appointment at. :pac: Why not at least 08.05!?

That's what I'm saying :D

Same guy doesn't like waiting even for 30 seconds but could keep you waiting on him for 30 mins.

Oh dear.

Advertisement