Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and time keeping...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Abi wrote: »
    I dunno Sam.
    Think ya might have to have a wee look back, there are a couple of posts that are way out of line if you ask me.

I am guilty of always defending out country when someone has a go at it.
    some comments are out of line agreed,but some posters are like me and hate to see us all tarred with the same brush.

The op seems to be well able to dish it out so will have to accept what is given back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm actually more surprised that this thread is still open. A bit of back and forth rib-digging jokingly is one thing. The racism here is both appalling, and actually quite embarrassing.

Well the OP complained about Irish stereotypes of polish people in another thread then starts a thread saying generalising Irish people having poor time keeping and don't give a shít about working.

Fair game imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

hondasam wrote: »
    I do too when it's warranted, but if the criticism is warranted, well I'll stand by it - it's not good to be blind to one's faults.
    I don't think the OP tarred us all with one brush - just said they've observed this phenomenon occurring regularly. There's a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

The op is not completely innocent either Abi.
    Racism might be a bit strong imo.

Don't confuse rasism with nationalism or xenophobia. Polish people are the same race as Irish, so no racism here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

Biedronka wrote: »
    Don't confuse rasism with nationalism or xenophobia. Polish people are the same race as Irish, so no racism here. ;)

Is comment actually made me lol for real

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I do too when it's warranted, but if the criticism is warranted, well I'll stand by it - it's not good to be blind to one's faults.
    I don't think the OP tarred us all with one brush - just said they've observed this phenomenon occurring regularly. There's a difference.

I am not blind by my faults at all, personally can't stand people who are late.
    The op has a problem with delivery man, plumbers, electricians, babysitter, there is nothing positive in the op.

I agree some people are terrible time keepers but there are a lot who are exceptionally good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

some comments are out of line agreed,but some posters are like me and hate to see us all tarred with the same brush.

The op seems to be well able to dish it out so will have to accept what is given back.
    Well the OP complained about Irish stereotypes of polish people in another thread then starts a thread saying generalising Irish people having poor time keeping and don't give a shít about working.

Fair game imo

I'm agreeing with you that its fine with a bit of back and forth stuff. But Dudess managed to catch this before it was edited out
    don't see us rushing to move to your sh*thole of a country.

That shit is uncalled for.

1. Give your clients a time maybe 30mins before you really want them to turn up
    2. Leave Ireland

Give my client? I am the client if I pay!

I will go for number 3 :

-call another plumber/electrician when first one has no watch.

I'm agreeing with you that its fine with a bit of back and forth stuff. But Dudess managed to catch this before it was edited out

I thought you meant hondasam's first post.

My bad

That shit is uncalled for.

I agree it is but I think the op is playing us all now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Give my client? I am the client if I pay!

I will go for number 3 :

-call another plumber/electrician when first one has no watch.
    In hindsight, could you not have done that BEFORE the big rant on AH?

there is nothing positive in the op.

-hmm, interesting.. :pac:

In hindsight, could you not have done that BEFORE the big rant on AH?

No, that is my plan for the future. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I thought you meant hondasam's first post.

My bad

Nope, not at all.
    I agree it is but I think the op is playing us all now.

I think I'm outta this thread to fetch a glass of wine, that's what I think :pac:

Is comment actually made me lol for real

-yes? why? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

No, that is my plan for the future. :)
    Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

What about Madagascar then buddy? I guess that's a big BIG BIG BIG island then.

Ireland is a piece of sub-continental land that is surrounded by water, therefore an island.

Madagascar is in the forefront of the campaign to recognise the fact that it is continental, despite being surrounded by water.

It's often been described as four countries.

-hmm, interesting.. :pac:

meaning?

I think I'm outta this thread to fetch a glass of wine, that's what I think :pac:

Have two Abi:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bnt wrote: »
    The difference is that African Time doesn't promise more than it delivers, but Irish Time is all about promises that are not kept. In my experience this is a peculiarly Irish phenomenon. If you don't like being stereotyped in this way, don't make a commitment unless you are willing and able to keep it. :cool:
    This is key to the whole thing in my experience. I'm English but lived in Germany and Holland for 21 years before moving here. There, if you're looking to make an appointment to get something installed / fixed / whatever, and they know they won't be able to make it for a few weeks, then they'll damn well say so, and when they do specify a date and time you can be pretty close to 100% certain that they'll turn up on time. Here, it's almost as if they don't want to say no, or to disappoint you, so they make up some bull**** date and time that they know they won't keep to and then keep putting you off when they don't turn up. I find it pretty infuriating even after 10 years here.

gbee wrote: »
    Madagascar is in the forefront of the campaign to recognise the fact that it is continental, despite being surrounded by water.

It's often been described as four countries.

You can stick feathers on a dog but it still won't be a bird! Madagascar is not connected to Continental Africa by land therefore it's sub-continental & it's surrounded by water therefore it is an island.

How deliciously off topic we are lol

• Advertisement

meaning?

-meaning, how you ca make such a silly coment about nothing positive in me... you can, because you know so much about me? :confused:
    Every one would go mad after my last week, the whole week was ruined, day by day only because some people's word means nothing! I have a right to complain about that!

Have two Abi:pac:

Bad influence :mad:

Soon Abi will be sleeping on a park bench, drinking wine from a carton

-meaning, how you ca make such a silly coment about nothing positive in me... you can, because you know so much about me? :confused:
    Every one would go mad after my last week, the whole week was ruined, day by day only because some people's word means nothing! I have a right to complain about that!

I meant your opening post where you targeted a few professions.

You have a right to complain but we have the right not to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

UPC - We'll have a technician at your house between 10 and 4.

-yes? why? :rolleyes:

Because it was argumentative but then again when the person it's directed at walks into it then it's too funny not to laugh :D

congress3 wrote: »
    UPC - We'll have a technician at your house between 10 and 4.

Yeah that's my favourite one the vague time frame! Last time I called out UPC they said they would call between 1pm & 5pm & arrived at 11am lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

This thread beings back (happy?) memories of getting a house built in Connemara...

Actually there was a ruin near us that used to trade hands amongst germans, who each in turn would come over from germany and try to deal with the local builders and eventually give up and sell to other germans.

No doubt they were thinking the place was a bargain if Germanic standards of restoration were applied.

Needless to say, its still a ruin some 30 years later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

OP, firstly welcome to Ireland, glad we were a country that you thought well enough of to join us. Let me just give you a lesson on Ireland, we are a good country,renouned for our hard work all over the world, renouned for our superior education standards and most of all our mostly relaxed attitude to life.

I do aplogise that you have been kept waiting, we must include this in our broucher that seems to go out to the rest of the world.

I recently had an encounter in my job, which in the 12 years I have never been late for, with a fellow countryman of yours. Our senior management wanted to implement some process changes that would have greatly impacted on the lives of their long standing loyal employees.

The voices of desent were all Irish and we spoke for a collective that is the employees, including your countryman.

He mistakenly, at the time decided to speak independantly to the management and used the words that "all Irish are lazy".

His contract is not being renewed, there is a lesson there, "sometimes when in Rome do as the Roman do". You must learn to adapt to your new surroundings and learn the culture and ways of the country you have decided to make your home in. A lesson learned by millions of Irish, through generations as they made there lives in these new countries.

I do note however that your writing style changes from thread to thread.
    So your skills for adapting are evident.

Céad Mile Fáilte

Kasabian wrote: »
    "sometimes when in Rome do as the Roman do". You must learn to adapt to your new surroundings and learn the culture and ways of the country you have decided to make your home in.

You can sing this from the roof tops & I think it applies the World over. When you move to a different country be prepared to do things differently. Just be happy it's only Ireland we're talking about here people because in some countries you either row in with the native or the law comes down on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Sure the title of the thread is making you think it is unfair generalization,

The title of the thread is "Irish People And Time Keeping"... That is bad enough cause you are implying that lateness applies to IRISH people only, when in actual fact this is not the case. There are people all over this country and the world that are late on a daily basis, through no fault of their own and because you have a life that you are ALWAYS on time for, you have decided to come on here and tar the Irish people with this generalisation... What do you expect?
    So, why is this so difficult for most of you?

Do you HONESTLY, not see what is wrong with this question?

To actually quote yourself...

This simply is not fair, they are chancing it and this is very very bad attitude!

Advertisement