Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and time keeping...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

Aishae wrote: »
    To be fair I don't have a problem with an hour late.

I do have a problem with more then 15 minutes late, because it ruins my day. I have things to do, even walking a dog, my other appointments.
    If somebody is 30 minutes late, I will be late too if I have something to do later.

hondasam wrote: »
    You are complaining about the Irish who are working in Poland.why not get a Polish worker then, problem solved.

I live i Ireland for 6 years- it was just ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Biedronka wrote: »
    Accepting my money.. :D
    Yep. That's what i said.
    kfallon wrote:
    Ye both need to get a dirtier mindset wink.gif
    Oh, i get cha now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Aishae wrote: »
    To be fair I don't have a problem with an hour late. But 2/3/4 hours late and no shows are taking the piss. At least ring and rearrange things.
    Definitely. A guy was supposed to fix my sat dish, was without telly for quite a while coz he just didn't turn up when he said he would, then he'd ring that night , apologise, saying he was just up to his eyes with jobs and re-arrange for another day, when he wouldn't turn up again. That just pisses me off alright. If you're too busy, say you're too busy and don't have me sitting at home waiting like an eejit when I could be doing stuff that's useful.
    In the end I had to ring him and tell him to forget it and got someone else, who was also late, but by a few hours.
    What annoys me also is that none of them offer you a discount for being late. I think it's fair to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I live i Ireland for 6 years- it was just ironic.

Really.your posts are quite funny, good/bad english when it suits. Trolling is fun.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yep. That's what i said.

-and you are too kindly accepting money from people who pay you and you are doing them a favour by doing your job yes? :rolleyes:

Really.your posts are quite funny, good/bad english when it suits. Trolling is fun.

Leave my english alone, I know its not perfect, but not everyone is so good at learning foreign languages -are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

In Poland, but there is so many Irish people here already, they just keep coming but they are all late. :rolleyes:

It seems like all our bad service people and tradesmen must have gone to your country and all your awful ones came to ours so. Like an exchange programme or something. I hate to break it to you but the amount of time I have had to send people round to houses to rectify atrocious work done by Polish tradesmen here over the last few years is incredible. You people are kind of famous for it right across western Europe. We will keep our bad time keepers in Ireland and you keep your incompetent chancers in Poland and we call it even, deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

-and you are too kindly accepting money from people who pay you and you are doing them a favour by doing your job yes? :rolleyes:
    Yes, the tradesman (easy kfallon) is doing you a favour by exchanging your money for a service. Money itself can't fix your dishwasher or plumb your house. You need someone willing to accept the amount of money as adequate payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Here's an idea - Shut the fuck up.

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    It seems like all our bad service people and tradesmen must have gone to your country and all your awful ones came to ours so. Like an exchange programme or something. I hate to break it to you but the amount of time I have had to send people round to houses to rectify atrocious work done by Polish tradesmen here over the last few years is incredible. You people are kind of famous for it right across western Europe. Give us our bad time keepers back and you take your incompetent chancers back and we call it even, deal?

Read my posts again, I live in Ireland.

kfallon wrote: »
    Ye both need to get a dirtier mindset ;)
    Okay, get ya, fair enough. Am not Irish. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I was actually going to answer this earlier but you know my inferior racial make up and all that...:rolleyes:

donmeister wrote: »

-reported

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I thought its recesion and people should really care about their customers, but no -they just dont care, there are busy, they alway have exuse!

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread..., but;
    What if they're doing that, i.e. "going the extra mile" for their customers - the one(s) before you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

donmeister wrote: »

Actually you can.
    Do not post here again.

I worked in construction for a few years, with a couple of Polish guys and they worked harder than most of the Irish guys there, arrived for work earlier, and were the last to leave, after tidying up the site. I'm sure there are some who are chancers, or just bad at their job or badly trained, but there are plenty of Irish so-called tradesmen who do shitty work. You'll find cowboys wherever ya go. The Irish, generally, are notoriously bad for timekeeping, it's just fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Leave my english alone, I know its not perfect, but not everyone is so good at learning foreign languages -are you?

fair enough but I read your previous posts and it was perfect english, that's all, you only seem to have a problem with it in this thread.

fair enough but I read your previous posts and it was perfect english, that's all, you only seem to have a problem with it in this thread.
    To be fair I think some of it is mis-typing rather than mis-spelling. The kinda stuff that happens when you type in a hurry. I'm always doing it, I just read over the post before I click 'submit' and delete the extra letters you get sometimes while you type, or type in the missing ones. Reading back some of the posts it seems there are some letters missing, it's not mis-spelled or badly structured, at least no more than the average AH post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

well we may have bad timekeeping but at least we are NOT the most depressing country on earth i.e yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

John Doe1 wrote: »
    well we may have bad timekeeping but at least we are the most depressing country on earth i.e yours

We are Poland? That's more confusing than depressing.

well we may have bad timekeeping but at least we are the most depressing country on earth i.e yours
    Now that's badly structured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Was that intentional cos I agree sometimes. :pac:

Dunno why people are jumping on the OP. I'm Irish and it drives me mad. It's rude, disrespectful and really no way to run a business.

Dare I say, it's indicative of the very attitude that has this country in the state it's in--not giving a fuck about anyone or anything bar yourself, not even those who pay your wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Johro wrote: »
    To be fair I think some of it is mis-typing rather than mis-spelling. The kinda stuff that happens when you type in a hurry. I'm always doing it, I just read over the post before I click 'submit' and delete the extra letters you get sometimes while you type, or type in the missing ones. Reading back some of the posts it seems there are some letters missing, it's not mis-spelled or badly structured, at least no more than the average AH post.
    Yep ...usually when you are in a hurry and you might spot the error straight away or later but as long as we spot it ourselfs rather than some thanks whore doing it for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm getting very Germanic in my old age but it's unbelievably disrespectful. I live in Spain and it's even worse here. I teach English and my students regularly come in to class 30 minutes late (for an hour long class) and up to 50 minutes late for an hour and a half long class!! Are you fecking joking me or what? I actually had a word with them about it (after pretending to be cool about it for fear of them complaining about me and me getting fired) and I told them that I bother my arse to get here on time, plan the class and try and give 100% and they couldn't be bothered being here on time (although I said it much more politely than that). They thought I was messing (because I usually am) and excused it with their nationality but I don't buy into that bollocks anymore. It's disrespectful. It's 2011, you're country is in the toilet and you can't be bothered to help yourselves get out of the mess (this part I didn't say either but I thought it VERY LOUDLY INDEED!!). I told them to not come to class if they can't be here on time, simple as that.

Same goes with all business here. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Not calling though you know you'll be late or not arriving at all, but ringing later to aay sorry and rearrange things then do the same that day too. They're afraid to lose the job. If they keep you hanging they figure they'll keep you hoping but if they admit they can't manage their workload or are too busy one week they know you'll just ring someone else.
    Or at least thats the way it seems. Poor way to run a business

well we may have bad timekeeping but at least we are NOT the most depressing country on earth i.e yours

-hmm, I wouldn't be so sure with all that rain and darkness.. I love Ireland, but I wouldn't say it is not depressing sometimes... in Poland you get hot summer and white winter at least its is brighter.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I tell you something OP, these guys are busier than ever with the 'black' economy. 3-4 fours years ago I could get the electrician/plumber around in 2-3 days. These are guys that have always sorted stuff out for me. Now my plumber reckons he won't be free to install a stove for me until the end of January 2012 at the earliest. He told me this last month. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

So, why is this so difficult for most of you?

Whilst you have a valid point in time keeping and making appointments being important, the problem is your issue with IRISH people when this is a common problem in a lot of trades, in a lot of countries around the world... You just can't generalise like this without getting people annoyed... It make your point sound fascist.
    It really drives me crazy -almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!
    People who provide any kind of service and coming to my house, to fix something etc -I try to make appointment with them and I hear -
    between 4-6.. WHAT>??? Are you kiding?I am not going to sit all afternoon and wait for you -forget!

In any business that requires a call out, a business can only give a certain time period, because the simple fact is, no-one can predict the way their day will turn out... They can look at the day the have mapped out, and say these jobs will take a certain amount of time and it SHOULD be possible to fit your job in...

Now I agree, this should be said at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After my first year in Ireland, I became well-acquainted with the phenomenon I call "Irish Time". I lived in the UK and South Africa before moving to Ireland, and have spent months in the USA: I didn't see quite the same thing in those countries. "Irish Time" is not to be confused with "African Time":
    African Time: "When will the train arrive?" "Tomorrow". And the train arrives tomorrow. Vague, but correct.
    Irish Time: "When will you be here?" "10am tomorrow". Person does not arrive at 10am, possibly not even the same day.
    The difference is that African Time doesn't promise more than it delivers, but Irish Time is all about promises that are not kept. In my experience this is a peculiarly Irish phenomenon. If you don't like being stereotyped in this way, don't make a commitment unless you are willing and able to keep it. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement