Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

jkforde wrote: »
    most cyclists I see or encounter, regardless of age, dress code, sex etc are indifferent, even hostile to the rules of the road, they're just a hindrance that have to be obeyed by everyone else. convinced it's the juvenile Irish attitude of "don't you tell tell me what to do"

Yawn!!!! Next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

jkforde wrote: »
    most cyclists I see or encounter, regardless of age, dress code, sex etc are indifferent, even hostile to the rules of the road, they're just a hindrance that have to be obeyed by everyone else. convinced it's the juvenile Irish attitude of "don't you tell tell me what to do"

Yes to an extent but.....

Respect for the law and respect for state authority work in both directions. In this city, as others, the city executive and police have acted with contempt for the needs of cyclists to the point that law breaking is actively encouraged and even imposed. Typical examples are traffic lights that will not change for people on bikes.

Likewise you cannot have a situation where the police decline to enforce speed limits and then be surprised if people cycle on footpaths. Indeed I have heard a Garda express the view that cyclists should be put up on the footpaths.

The Jacobs report is not the first source to point out that what is now the "pedestrian" zone should be open to cyclists. At the time Shop Street was closed to cyclists, the Cycling Campaign pointed out to the city executive that it was a key cross city cycling route with no reasonable alternatives. It was also pointed out that there was guidance stating that cyclists should be incorporated into such zones.

I would argue that the organs of the state, the police, local government, act with an attitude of apparent contempt for the idea that citizens should be enabled to go about their reasonable daily business in a lawful manner.

In that case it is difficult to expect respect for the law from citizens. (Although I continue to work towards that)

@mods feel free to move to cycling in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

At the time Shop Street was closed to cyclists

Is this not still the case?

J o e wrote: »
    Is this not still the case?

Meant in the sense of "back when x happened " as opposed to "in that time ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So any sign of the Bike Stations at City Hall, Galway City Library, GTI and Spanish Arch been completed yet?

• Advertisement

So any sign of the Bike Stations at City Hall, Galway City Library, GTI and Spanish Arch been completed yet?

When I passed back GTI on Sunday it looked ready to open, stands fully in place, card reader/ computer was in place. Just the fences were still around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A well placed source said on Friday that the one by the library is to be removed due to residents complaints. Sounds nuts to me, and I'm a resident.

A well placed source said on Friday that the one by the library is to be removed due to residents complaints. Sounds nuts to me, and I'm a resident.

Do we have any more information about the nature of the complaint?

Thats strange. Station is were double yellow lines were so its not car parking that is being removed.

Thats strange. Station is were double yellow lines were so its not car parking that is being removed.

Might be useful if we could get a photo of what was put in? Reason might become obvious.

• Advertisement

On Sunday I met some young men experimenting with one of the bikes at the Cathedral. It looked like they were involved in testing, a bit like non-destructive testing, only the other kind.

When I stopped they asked me how they were supposed to detach the bikes from the stands - I pointed out that they needed to pay.

When I took out my phone to take a pic they pulled up their hoodies and departed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭thesandeman

On Sunday I met some young men experimenting with one of the bikes at the Cathedral. It looked like they were involved in testing, a bit like non-destructive testing, only the other kind.

I love your way with words.

Might be useful if we could get a photo of what was put in? Reason might become obvious.

The only thing I can think of is the station possibly blocking the pedestrian crossing from St Clare's Walk laneway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In front of a church :eek:

snubbleste wrote: »
    In front of a church :eek:

No it was ok. They had their own bikes with them and cycled off on the footpath. Being on a bike is like being touched by the Ganges River - all sins are instantly washed away.

:D

Of course I am assuming they were their own bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭thesandeman

They cycled off on the footpath.

Feckin lawbreakers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

My guess is that some people are getting vexed about the loss of a couple of car-parking spaces.

I'll take a closer look next time I'm in town.

Meanwhile here's an extreme zoom from this pic.

331243.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

"Car parking spaces"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Used the bike scheme for first time the other day - very easy to use, even for a technophobe. Bikes are grand once you get the hang of the gearing system, which takes about 30 seconds. I'll definitely be making frequent use of the scheme for running errands around town. Will be even better once they put a few more stations in and enlarge the area, and get locks so you can leave the bike while nipping into a shop etc.

got email from bikeshare.ie today re when the scheme in Galway City will be completed. i.e when the Bike Stations at City Hall, Galway City Library, GTI and Spanish Arch will be open. Got the following reply:
    "
    Thank you for contacting Coca Cola Zero Bikes.
    We will be getting all of the stations that are offline on the map up and running in the coming weeks.
    "

• Advertisement

I emailed the Bike Share guys about the Fr Burke Road stand and they got back very quickly. They said "This station will be available to use in the next 5 - 10 days if all goes well.".

It looks ready to go but they must be waiting for data/power cable connections or something.

^ 8 days now since this 5-10 day estimate for GTI

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

^ 8 days now since this 5-10 day estimate for GTI

I'm no rocket scientist, but isn't 8 days between 5 and 10? So they still have a couple of days...

They do. It's not rocket science but I think you're on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    My guess is that some people are getting vexed about the loss of a couple of car-parking spaces.

I'll take a closer look next time I'm in town.

Meanwhile here's an extreme zoom from this pic.

331243.jpg

Nope: the CZBS stand starts at about the same place as the concrete bollard with the blue sign at the base of it in the google maps shot you linked to. No parking spaces are affected.

My guess is that it makes the street quite a bit narrower at that point, which may be causing problems for delivery vehicles taking goods to some of the places there.

I'll try to remember to take a photo next time I'm there in daylight.

You're absolutely right. No P&D parking spaces are being taken.

My impression of my own photo (the zoomed-in portion) was incorrect.

The CZ station is placed just after the dished kerb in front of St. Clare's Walk.

I happened to be in the general area today, mit camera as always, and had a quick look. I did wonder whether the bike station is a bit far out, but I forgot to check whether it* extends further into the road than the parked cars (legal and illegal).

331360.jpg

331361.jpg

* Or, more importantly, how far the bikes will protrude.

I happened to be in the general area today, mit camera as always, and had a quick look. I did wonder whether the bike station is a bit far out, but I forgot to check whether it* extends further into the road than the parked cars (legal and illegal).

331360.jpg

* Or, more importantly, how far the bikes will protrude.
    It's only half the bike that protrudes so its pretty much the same width as a parked car. The ONE Way road is plenty wide

Can't help but think that is a badly located site tho. It will act as a permanent marker to cars parking on the left.

It's only half the bike that protrudes so its pretty much the same width as a parked car. The ONE Way road is plenty wide

In which case, could the bike station rule out installation of a contra-flow cycle lane in future?

If so, that would be a bitter irony in a city where currently not a single metre of one-way road is designated two-way for cyclists.

In which case, could the bike station rule out installation of a contra-flow cycle lane in future?

If so, that would be a bitter irony in a city where currently not a single metre of one-way road is designated two-way for cyclists.

Funny I had the same thought about Prospect hill.

• Advertisement

I doubt that is the reason for the delay.
    To be honest in Belgium they would not even put in a contra flow cycle lane here as general traffic speeds are low. They would just lob up a sign say One Way except for cyclists. Would probably need to remove some of the car parking though.

Advertisement