Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Is it possible for me to give someone a registration as a Christmas gift? Do they need to have an ATM card of their own to make payments, or can I put some money into their account, and they can top up later some other way?

It seems to be that the card you register with is the one from which it deducts any charges (hence the authorisation). Re how the latter works (there were differing answers in here), it does the 'charge a euro' method to verify your account (for the 150 deposit) so the charge was initially €6
    I'd say if you use your card they'll charge that for regular charges and they need one for the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Was being fixed this afternoon. Will post pics later.

Is it possible for me to give someone a registration as a Christmas gift? Do they need to have an ATM card of their own to make payments, or can I put some money into their account, and they can top up later some other way?

I'm thinking of the same thing. Gift for somebody who I know will not get round to registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chips O'Toole

boardzz wrote: »
    Parking tickets all round then...?

I don't see any offence being committed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

They are not in the spaces. Half the car is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I don't see any offence being committed here.

The real offence is Galway City Council not removing the car parking paint. Such laziness :mad: I hope they have added disabled parking in Woodquay or close to the Town Hall Theatre to make up for the removal here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Slighty OT, but how much would those car parking spaces be worth to GCC, in terms of annual revenue and also in terms of lost opportunity to the bike parking.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Slighty OT, but how much would those car parking spaces be worth to GCC, in terms of annual revenue and also in terms of lost opportunity to the bike parking.

It's a fair point - why are they removing disabled parking and not regular parking? Is disabled parking free (provided you have the required pass)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »

Paid parking is 8.30-18.30 Monday to Saturday, free on Sundays & bank holidays, so there are 304 paid parking days (365-9 bank holidays, 52 Sundays).

On street parking rate is €2/h (max two hour stay), charges apply for 10 hours (free on Sundays & Bank holidays), so the potential for lost revenue is up to €20/day for each space lost.

304*20=6,080 potential annual revenue loss (assuming full utilization) per parking space.

It's a fair point - why are they removing disabled parking and not regular parking? Is disabled parking free (provided you have the required pass)?

Disabled parking spaces relocated. See pix.

Some of the CZ bike stations are are a bit cluttered. They need to tidy them up, imo. Also proper bike stands must be replaced and expanded asap.

331996.jpg

331997.jpg

331998.jpg

331999.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Cork and Limerick schemes seem to be going of without a hitch by and large, Cork to launch tomorrow, no issue with stations afaik. Why is Galway's scheme being shafted and half baked?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Disabled parking spaces relocated. See pix.

Some of the CZ bike stations are are a bit cluttered. They need to tidy them up, imo. Also proper bike stands must be replaced and expanded asap.

331997.jpg

Going OT slightly. But your second picture is interesting? How the hell is that meant to work?
    Do the two car's(two Nissan's by the looks of it) on the right side of your photo need to reverse to get out of those car parking spaces?
    Will they not be blocked in if the disabled bays are occupied?

cgcsb wrote: »
    The Cork and Limerick schemes seem to be going of without a hitch by and large, Cork to launch tomorrow, no issue with stations afaik. Why is Galway's scheme being shafted and half baked?

"Galway City Council" is the reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Going OT slightly. But your second picture is interesting? How the hell is that meant to work?
    Do the two car's to the right of the blue paint not need to reverse to get out of those car parking spaces?

Levitation, holmes.

Nah, they can drive straight out onto the road: http://goo.gl/maps/Xezv8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Do the two car's(two Nissan's by the looks of it) on the right side of your photo need to reverse to get out of those car parking spaces?
    Will they not be blocked in if the disabled bays are occupied?

No those cars are facing the road at the side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

yer man! wrote: »
    I'm not sure that this scheme is being given the maintenance it requires, half of the stations were offline today and people were parked right up against the docks in wood quay so you couldn't get any bikes out.
    Did you report this on the Bikeshare.ie website?

I am of the opinion that there should be proactive monitoring from BikeShare themselves.

It seems very half hearted on their part if people have to regularly report issues via their website. Reactive maintenance will not be sufficient to make this scheme a success in my opinion.

KevR wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that there should be proactive monitoring from BikeShare themselves.

It seems very half hearted on their part if people have to regularly report issues via their website. Reactive maintenance will not be sufficient to make this scheme a success in my opinion.

Would agree with these sentiments 100% but like many things in this Country maintenance and support are reactive. If enough people complain then something maybe done about it?

Only 10 Stations available/online this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    331996.jpg

I passed here last night and they now also have a line of bollards to prevent cars from pulling up tight to the stand.

J o e wrote: »
    I passed here last night and they now also have a line of bollards to prevent cars from pulling up tight to the stand.

Galway City Council must be monitoring this thread! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Would agree with these sentiments 100% but like many things in this Country maintenance and support are reactive. If enough people complain then something maybe done about it?

If there are regular issues with access to the bikes and/or maintenance issues (which people have to report to get fixed), it will be to the detriment of the scheme because people will be less inclined to routinely use the bikes.

Going a bit off-topic but I think some issues with public transport in Ireland can be attributed to the fact that routes/services are subsidised and won't be allowed to fail. There is no real incentive for management and staff to proactively try to improve service levels. Their jobs are safe so why push themselves? Will this bike scheme fall into the same category?

One of the best success stories for public transport in Ireland has to be the Galway - Dublin coach services by Go Bus and City Link. Either of these companies could easily be forced out of business if their service levels dropped enough. There is a lot to be said for the free market. Go Bus and City Link both provide an excellent service. They don't wait for complaints to pile up before they act!

KevR wrote: »
    Going a bit off-topic but I think some issues with public transport in Ireland can be attributed to the fact that routes/services are subsidised and won't be allowed to fail. There is no real incentive for management and staff to proactively try to improve service levels. Their jobs are safe so why push themselves? Will this bike scheme fall into the same category?
    Nah it's a fair point. This is a form of public transport provision
    I guess what we have here is somewhat of a PPP? An Rothar Nua is a private Company, NTA and Galway City Council the public, and Coke are the Sponsorship. Wonder do An Rothar Nua have SLA (Service Level Agreements)to adhere too?

J o e wrote: »

Any sign of those bollards outside the Galway Advertiser/Bank of Ireland Bike Station on Eyre Square?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nah it's a fair point. This is a form of public transport provision
    I guess what we have here is somewhat of a PPP? An Rothar Nua is a private Company, NTA and Galway City Council the public, and Coke are the Sponsorship. Wonder do An Rothar Nua have SLA (Service Level Agreements)to adhere too?

I'm not aware of such schemes being regulated in the same way that other public transport schemes are regulated.

In fact I'd see it is more like rental cars (ie private transport using a hired vehicle) than public (ie vehicles-shared-at-the-same-time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

This station will be available to use in the next 5 - 10 days if all goes well.

20 days later and the GTI stand still looks ready to open and no sign of any work happening (or needed) since. Wonder what the hold-up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Levitation, holmes.

Nah, they can drive straight out onto the road: http://goo.gl/maps/Xezv8

not sure if anyone else got the Tenacious D reference, but just wanted to call it up an appreciate it :)

Latest works carried out has been bollards at the Galway Advertiser/ Bank of Ireland BikeStation (North Eyre Square). It will now stops motorists blocking people from using the Bikeshare. Unlike normal bike parking the bikeshare docking stations requires one to reverse the bike out of the locking mechanisim so this illegal behaviour was stopping usage. Bollards will also be required at the Dyke Road Bike Share station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Latest works carried out has been bollards at the Galway Advertiser/ Bank of Ireland BikeStation (North Eyre Square). It will now stops motorists blocking people from using the Bikeshare. Unlike normal bike parking the bikeshare docking stations requires one to reverse the bike out of the locking mechanisim so this illegal behaviour was stopping usage. Bollards will also be required at the Dyke Road Bike Share station.
    I think I'll invest in a bollard company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Pepsi should offer to sponsor the bollards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

http://46.137.167.201/webcam/

Looks a little better now with them in place.

Advertisement