Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Theres different tiers again in very high skill. the one I'm in (apparently 'Diamond 9' according to dotabuff) is mostly 5 - 5.5k with the occasional 6k and 4.5k players. Not that those numbers stop people feeding of course :pac: I often get given out to for not having mmr but the way I see it its more of a grind than anything and Im 100% not arsed getting in a tizz about numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

The ranking you are referring to BMMachine is hero ranking, you have bronze, silver, gold, platnuim, diamond and professional. with numbers 1 to 10 (1 lowest, 10 highest).

thats dotabuffs way of calculation how good you are with a specific hero, to put it into context, with my most successfull hero (CM, my win rate is 57%) i am ranked as silver 1.

on the site it says "division broadly represents the skill of your opponents". also if you have a hero in the top 100 you can see the rankings in and around you. Heres an example of one I have there:
    260dae83782701f4f2f46463f6d98c59.jpg

impressive stats, very impressive.
    Dotabuffs explanation: here
    are you in any of the top 100's? i would have thought so based on your ranks, but you were carefull to limit the info you gave in that pic so im suspecting you dont want you dotabuff public! (which i can respect)

i'll admit i like stats, sadly, reams of inter-relational numbers is something i have to consiously avoid or i will get sucked in, but then large parts of my job is data analysis, my problem is i aint paid of dota data analysis (i would love to get my hands on dotabuff data, raw data that i can pump into sql, then i'll make my own relationships thank you.)

anyway what i wanted to mention is these new stats dota tell us they will compile on us as players. at least i will have an easy time using them, i only play 5 or 6 different heros!

hmm still dont get it cos like, you go into an AP game and pick whichever hero but your opponents dont change.
    can someone explain this "Your division placement is based on the difficulty you've faced while playing a hero in a window of time relevant to the rankings." ? I think I get it but am not sure.
    yeah im in a top 100 alright. I prefer to keep this kind of stuff private and not post it up on public websites as (through experience) you get a lot of people bitching at you about x stat or y stat and its just not worth the hassle. "look at your crystal maiden stats! you must be crap with crystal maiden!" and that kinda thing (I totally rock with CM :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Nice stats but I'll never pay for dotabuff.

oh god no, I dont pay :p I just get to see that as im in a top 100 with a hero.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Reborn is glorious. Some of the custom games are nothing short of amazing. I think they'll grab a lot audience here, even the HotS boys too.

Nice stats but I'll never pay for dotabuff.

i do, i'd pay for stats over hats any day.

i kicked off the download for the beta last night, i'll get a look at it later tonigh, but this update seems to have generated huge interest among moba players.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Reborn looks amazing! Best non-E3 news :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What'cha waiting for? Get in here, Overthrow is amazing fun!

4 LANs, 4 wins. Secret will easily be the favourite going into TI5.

they look pretty gosh darn unstoppable. they have such control over almost every game they play and they can draft pretty much anything and make it work. Easily the best "super team" I've seen (DK last year, Newbee, Tinker etc. being super teams)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

How often do the favourites going into TI perform as expected?
    Newbee were amongst the favourites last year, but not out and out expected to win. I'd be keeping the expectations in check.

Theres expectations and then theres 'what will probably happen'. Secret will be in the top 3 at the end of TI. As we saw last year, once you reach those late stages anything can happen. With Secret, they have S4 & Puppey (previous winners) and Kuroky (runner up) so they have plenty of big game experience with very stable heads. The way they have been playing over the past few moths has been incredible, far better than DK last year and Alliance/Na'Vi the year before. The difference is, they are dominating teams and often making other top tier teams look silly. Its more a lack of competition against them than anything in my mind. Even IG with Burning and Ferrari can't get near them

And they're easily winning games with Techies.

its simple really,
    they are sports people and they have taken their sport to a new level. Anything can happen in TI, but TS have such a huge psychological advantage over everyone except EG.

I am a big admirer of them individually and as a team so i am biased in my views

Losing every game except in ranked, where it counts :D

got put into a "normal game" after doing i dunno how longs worth of very high skill. i was put there because i matched as good as the leader of a 5 stack. i was with a 3 stack + 1 other guy who was as equally perplexed as me. turns out the 3 stack had about 200 hours each of game time. of course they were shockingly bad and the 5 stack was organised. id like to know how matchmaking decided to do that. that is just so wild and random

Season 4 LAN signups are now live on www.dota2ireland.com

• Advertisement

heard the best answer to people going on about "tryharding" and such

"yeah, if you never try then you can never fail"

thought it was completely apt for the mindset some people have, you know the one, where they are paranoid about being bad or average so anyone who is slightly good is "trying hard" :)

We're going 10th gear at this years LAN. Announcing a raft of dota celebs to meet and greet!

CKNvP1aWsAAwAWK.png

Signup is here, limited places available. Prizepool is TBA but ticket contribution will go towards it.

There'll also be a Dota TV ticket in the coming weeks for anyone not able to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Quick one guys, I presume there'll be a very high skill level at this yeah? Would there be room for a scrub like me?? :D

Room for everyone at all skill levels! We'll have a fair bracketing tournament and a side tournament also for anyone eliminated early Sunday.

294cbbad4f351a4ec3117c9a710cec68.jpg

d5acb8b2cac5324403c95fa6f99b19eb.jpg

edit - in context, i go mid as rhasta (all random) and completely dominate and work my balls off every team fight while my team f**k around and feed. Thats what annoys me the most, playing out of my skin and doing everything perfectly but still losing because matchmaking has decided to load me up with dribblers

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

probably wont be able to be part of a team for this but for spectators will there be any sort of schedule put up closer to the event so that we can plan out the best times to pop in over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

Room for everyone at all skill levels! We'll have a fair bracketing tournament and a side tournament also for anyone eliminated early Sunday.

How are teams decided ? Roughly how many spaces are there?, do you expect to sell out?

Thanks

Well Aui_2000 has been kicked from EG to be replaced by Arteezy and Zai is going back to school....

very strange move kicking aui

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

I was also wondering if other games will be played.

• Advertisement

Whoops, sorry I didnt see this.

We hope to put up a schedule in the coming weeks. Teams sign up themselves. Anyone looking for a team should have a look at the dota2ireland.com forums. If you arrive without a team, we'll sort something out :)

We expect it to sell out yes, considering last year we had space for 100 with shane, this time we have almost double the headroom and got a lot more sponsorship and dota celebs on boards!

Advertisement