Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hurray, I gave out 4 aghs this game and we won

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

solar crest is absolutely hilarious. its bananas versus sven and wk

doh, I mean that echo stone thing. New names to learn :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

MMR has taken a battering recently. This game was a fun wreckage

MMR has taken a battering recently. This game was a fun wreckage

it honestly amazes me how matchmaking works. so many games are just a waste of everyones time. The lobby system was soooo much better.

Fun set of games last night between IG and Secret. Also Empire winning clean over VG was a fun little surprise. Secret finally won a big tournament and proved they can beat the very best teams. TI5 is going to be very close to call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

BMMachine wrote: »
    it honestly amazes me how matchmaking works. so many games are just a waste of everyones time. The lobby system was soooo much better.

Fun set of games last night between IG and Secret. Also Empire winning clean over VG was a fun little surprise. Secret finally won a big tournament and proved they can beat the very best teams. TI5 is going to be very close to call

Summit 3 will be even better this week/weekend. Although why does it have to be on so late for us! :pac:

Summit 3 finals on tonight. VG/EG loser bracket final. Winner plays Secret in the grand final. been a very interesting tournament so far, secret really clicking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Summit 3 finals on tonight. VG/EG loser bracket final. Winner plays Secret in the grand final. been a very interesting tournament so far, secret really clicking.

I think VG have been very entertaining tbh. Really fun to watch.

TI5 watch, euro qualis has the 'nobody to somebody' dream going on, with 3/4 teams jostling for this qualifier spot.

VG are good but they seem to fall when it matters most. great style, love their support duo and they play great head games with opponents. They need that extra something Newbee, Alliance et al had to win TI though.
    EG just seem to show up when it matters most. PPD is probably the best drafter on the planet atm and Aui has slotted in fantastically. Beating Secret right now in the final (well they are about to win the first game in a BO5). If VG had the mentality and backbone of EG they would be unstoppable, really glad to see them do so well (despite my general dislike of Alex Garfield) but I like every single one of their players. Interesting drafting so far too in 6.84

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

i had the pleasure of watching most of the games in these lan finals.

EG won the 1st in the 5 series final, but they collapsed over the next 3 games. i missed the 1st 10 minutes of the 4th game, i connected at 12:30 or something, took me a minute to go whoho puppy was playing CM, then noticed the 11-2 score to secret and then secret proceded to teamwipe EG and they called a 13 minute GG.

that final performace definately contradicts BMMachines opinion on EG, i thought that they collapsed mentally over games 2, 3 and 4.

VG Stompped secret in the 1st game in the winner bracket final, it was an fyi bounty which gimped puppeys chen and Arteezeys SF. Secret banned bounty from then on and VG had no answers.

EG beat secret in the 1st game in the grand final by utterly shutting down Zai on the offlane, cant remember if zai was clock or dark seer. they tried to do the same i nthe following games but they did not succed to the same extent as in the 1st game.

• Advertisement

the joys of hindsight eh ;) EG fell apart on game 2 and just seemed to go full tilt. they had the game won and made a complete balls of it. This is the same team that knocked out VG in the LB final and did so with a very strong mentality (even beating the VG bounty hunter who secret were first phase banning). Secret seem to be on a bit of a roll going into TI just like all Puppey teams seem to do. Hes so good at getting the best out of players and making a team function. Zai seems to be on another level too atm which is really helping them out.

I would never write off this EG side though, they are very strong across the board and I was actually amazed to see how easily they capitulated to Secret last night. Puppey certainly outdrafted PPD and that was a big shock to me. Like, yeah you can get outdrafted but I didnt think it would be that bad though.

Yes that static farming Mirana pick raised heads everywhere. I think the problem with EG is that leadership only goes so far. I think Arteezy was a solid foundation and more open minded and outspoken compared to Sumail, giving feedback to all the team. As much as I love Sumail, I don't think he brings it ALL to the table (its a geniunely awesome mid player though).

Anyways, yes, I agree that EG COULD go all the way if they tighten up their drafting a bit. When drafts are even they have the edge over most competitors.

yeah their teamwork is so tight together and they have such good awareness of what to do. the mirana pick was stupid, no idea what they were thinking tbh.
    Secret though, wow. They are looking like the real deal. Thats VG, IG and LGD all beaten by them over the past week or so in big competitions and they just crushed the 'next best' western team in a grand final. I still think that final was a bit clowny though. Not saying EG didnt want to win but would you really see those drafts in an elimination match at TI? I doubt it

Well that was quick, gyro, bristleback, IO, drow, undying all nerfed. Chen buffed/nerfed/depends how you play him

to be fair BMMachine your right way more than your wrong. As a coach (of badminton) i am aware of the role of psychology in sports. teens are particularly susceptible to collapsing when its not going their way. Summail was absolutely bullied from game 2 onwards (in game ofc) and he collapsed, hardly a suprise for 15/16 yr kid. the full on tilt attitude seemed to spread from him.

zai played incredibly well this tournament, the 3nd game of the upper bracked final had Zai play an incredible game as clock. made me wanna play clock too.

by the way, any irish peeps play in the international open qualifiers (asside from that shane bloke who plays with sheever)?
    i was a quite suprised to see Juice(swiftending) from playdota forums playing in the EU open qualifier final (hes famous for this thread on playdota

thing is, same thing happened to Sumail in DAC and it didnt phase him one bit. Zai I think is only 17 and he wasn't phased by getting bullied either. Personally, I think in esports the younger you are, the more mentally stable you are when it comes to in game actions. Older players across the board tilt a lot more as they seem to have more riding on the result. Best example is Starcraft where players really come to prominence in their mid to late teens (Flash, Jaedong, Nada, iLoveOov, Reach, Savior... endless list really) and then in their 20s they start choking a lot more. Flash and Jaedong... maybe not so much but they are the two best ever (imo) to play the game.
    But you see guys like EE who have all the talent in the world but in a very weird way, they think too much. they let everything in and they end up cracking under the pressure. EE as a captain, despite being an extremely talented player, will never win a big big event ever again (unless he joins another team and isnt the main guy) as the guy just cant keep it together. Its a very strange world (esports) and in a lot of ways doesnt play by the rules of normal sport. If Loda didnt have Akke calming him down he would never have won TI3 as the guy is a pure rage machine (irc pickups with him back in the day were just not fun if you started losing).. it also helped that S4 drafted.
    In short, being young and ignorant can be a blessing :p

personally, I think it was PPD who was the source of their tilting. Him and Puppey had a very interesting casting on the couch the night before and you could see that these were both strong personable guys. PPD seemed a bit paranoid though, especially when Puppey was asked "what do you think of your game with EG tomorrow?" and Puppey responded by saying "good game" but he meant it in a way of "I hope we both have fun" but PPD started being all "ooohh shots fired" etc. (im not quoting verbatim). He just seemed slightly intimidated and that might have carried over into the game, especially when he knows how good Zai and Arteezy are

i think esports athletes are just like sporty athletes. they can mess up, make mistakes and need excellent skills/talent in a host of areas bhla bhla bhla. For sure EG players made more mistakes than Secret so pin pointing one player is a bit unfair i suppose. As for EE, as you said talented player, he inspired me to play mirana (poorly, but i accept that now). i dont know him well as a player tbh but my interpretation is he has a difficulty with communication, by that i mean he manages to alienate teammates in teams he has played with.

Justice wrote: »
    i think esports athletes are just like sporty athletes. they can mess up, make mistakes and need excellent skills/talent in a host of areas bhla bhla bhla. For sure EG players made more mistakes than Secret so pin pointing one player is a bit unfair i suppose. As for EE, as you said talented player, he inspired me to play mirana (poorly, but i accept that now). i dont know him well as a player tbh but my interpretation is he has a difficulty with communication, by that i mean he manages to alienate teammates in teams he has played with.

hes the drafter as well for C9. Hes really quite a clever player and understands a lot about the game. He also rates himself quite highly and is full of confidence but its all razor thin. I remember a few months ago, cant remember which tournament, but he gets to the final against VG. He drafts himself mortred two games in a row and I think on the second he goes mid. Both he gets dominated and you could almost see VG acting like sharks around him and crushing his morale.

He semi-regularly posts a blog and its just incoherent ramblings about things in LANs that upset him like chairs and stuff. He has a bit of a point but you can literally see that everything gets to this chap, he thinks too much and is really quite sensitive. Hes also 23. I think when you are 15 - 18/19 you can very much be at your peak gaming wise, there are countless examples from a whole host of games out there (but of course, there are countless examples of the opposite when players get better as they get older). Fear gets called "old man" - hes 27! It really just depends on the player but with Sumail and Zai and the like you can see that they can just shut off, focus on the game and take the pressure. Wait about 2 years or so and Arteezy will be like EE as he shows a lot of the same signs as him.. by that time he could have won a TI though and stopped giving a **** :p

If EE was playing under Puppey he would be a lot better off for it imo. He wasn't kicked for no reason from No Tidehunter/Alliance. Id say Akke and Loda could see he would be a handful and Loda has enough self awareness to know you cant have 2 players like that on a team :p despite his obvious talent. Just take a look at him kicking Aui_2000 from C9, crazy move but both are actually quite insular players and apparently pieliedie was quite salty/flamey on top of that. Talent isn't everything, it takes a lot of discipline to be good at dota and that counts for double in the pro circuit

So whats your predictions for the Qualis next week?

I'll go for:
    NA: 1st Mouz, 2nd Not Today
    SEA: 1st Rave, 2nd MVP Phoenix
    EU: Really hard to call, but... 1st: NiP 2nd Alliance/PR
    China: 1st: EHOME 2nd: Oldboys

Mousesports with their one american player going to win the US qualifiers.... such bs. They will win alright but thats some sway Alex Garfield and GGA have
    agree with your NA and SEA picks
    EU - very hard to tell. It won't be NiP though, they have looked pretty shonky the past month. Heart says Na'vi, head says Alliance. Teams like Hellraisers and Burden will decide who wins this imo as most of those teams can take games off anyone.

China - really want HGT to win so I will go with them and EHOME

• Advertisement

Mousesports with their one american player going to win the US qualifiers.... such bs. They will win alright but thats some sway Alex Garfield and GGA have
    agree with your NA and SEA picks
    EU - very hard to tell. It won't be NiP though, they have looked pretty shonky the past month. Heart says Na'vi, head says Alliance. Teams like Hellraisers and Burden will decide who wins this imo as most of those teams can take games off anyone.

China - really want HGT to win so I will go with them and EHOME

Except both Burden and HR lost to T3 teams this week too :D I like HGT but Air only plays 2 mid heroes in competitive games. They were in their stride when Brew was the taste of the scene, he played an awesome Brew. I don't fancy their chances. Plus Oldboys man. Oldboys!

China: 1st: EHOME 2nd: Oldboys

Welp. Looking like HGT is on fire today! OB look completely rubbish.

Welp. Looking like HGT is on fire today! OB look completely rubbish.

what did I tell ya :p ZSMJ still has it

Newbee.Y vs EP was breathtaking. Ancient vs Ancient at the end!

HGT :( EHOME and CDEC final by the looks of it

HGT :( EHOME and CDEC final by the looks of it

Looks like I got 3/4 right :P I said OB instead of Wings but nyeh.

So far I got NA completely wrong, VB really showing their hand yesterday. Complexity also showing some gonads after a poor year so far.

Looks like I got 3/4 right :P I said OB instead of Wings but nyeh.

So far I got NA completely wrong, VB really showing their hand yesterday. Complexity also showing some gonads after a poor year so far.

the thing is, Tinker/Mouz have got the American one sewn up... with their 4 EU players. And then you look at the EU qualifier and realise just how stacked it is. This really needs to be looked at for next year. I get that they want all the world represented in the International but there can be so many gimme matches in the premier dota tournament. There needs to be a better spread, maybe less invites and more qualifiers themselves and the area you represent should be where the majority of the players come from instead of GGA / Mouz completely abusing their power in order to have greater representation. Tinker, Secret, EG, C9 - all GGA teams, all the top teams in western dota

the thing is, Tinker/Mouz have got the American one sewn up... with their 4 EU players. And then you look at the EU qualifier and realise just how stacked it is. This really needs to be looked at for next year. I get that they want all the world represented in the International but there can be so many gimme matches in the premier dota tournament. There needs to be a better spread, maybe less invites and more qualifiers themselves and the area you represent should be where the majority of the players come from instead of GGA / Mouz completely abusing their power in order to have greater representation. Tinker, Secret, EG, C9 - all GGA teams, all the top teams in western dota

Mouz are not guaranteed to progress. If Unknown win their next game 2-0, they are in trouble.

Also, woo Pudge pick

they 1-1'd their 2 hardest games in the group but yeah, cant tell the future. I highly expect them to go through then :p

I completely forgot about the Majors valve were talking about and apparently they are happening in November, February and May so hopefully that will clear up qualifying.

I really don't want it to turn into the LoL worlds though or LCS as I love things like the summit and IEM and a lot of the other indies, made dota what it was. The LoL worlds is absolutely nonsense, watched it last year and f**k me do they drag it out. Recently uninstalled it again as its such a frustrating game to play and in comparison DotA is a bubblebath. Reckon I have clocked up 2000 or so games of LoL over the years as I have friends who play who are scared of dota :p they would be good enough too.. but as one friend said to me who moved from LoL to DotA about 18 months ago "on second thoughts, lets not play LoL. It is a silly game" much in the same vane as the end of this:

• Advertisement

i have no problem with Mousesports registering under North american dota, if they live there (they do) and they play on servers for that location whats the problem? sure you need deep pockets to pay for this.

realistically its only EU and US players which can easily move between these locations, everyone else will have visa issues. its an alternative method by which the two regions can equalise in terms of playing ability, just swap players or teams.

I thought GGA offered to sponser/buy team secret, but i taught it was rejected by team secret. I dont really know but i am curious.

Advertisement