Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Some interesting changes ->
    http://www.dota2.com/shiftingsnows/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Lifestealers infest will be so much fun. Instead of jungling yon our side sneak into the enemy small camp. Wait for them to stack, then jump out and farm away.

Sniper - Shrapnel no longer does damage to buildings. That's big.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

anyone keep up with EE's post? Thorins reply is pretty accurate too. ill post both for ye lazy ppls :p

http://www.liquiddota.com/blogs/473477-my-perspective-on-%EF%BC%A4%EF%BD%8F%EF%BD%94%EF%BC%A1%EF%BC%92

also, what are peoples reactions to the summit 2?
    EG seemed off the boil, the real final imo was Secret vs VG (who look to be the best in the world atm). The drafts werent too interesting, just variations on what we have seen but nothing mega. Secret got rid of Fly after which I think is a good move, but have replaced him with misery which is odd as he has been playing support for so long.
    Tinker definitely need a shakeup too, as much as I love EGM they just arent the team for him. would love to see him go back to alliance as well as get Hanni. Tinkers problems seem to be that they arent stable at all with them changing roles far too much, they seem very unsettled.

Pajkatts impressions are class btw, he can almost do as many accents as I can ;)

and as for C9 and EE - game wise, EE needs to get his head out of his ass. Drafts himself mortred 3 times without it working as he gets forced mid. He puts so much pressure on himself and seriously overrates himself too, I remember him giving out that Xiao8 retired as he didnt get a chance to beat him.. EE - you are a looooonnnngggg ass way off being as good a captain and drafter as Xiao8. well, thats unfair, but hes not in the same calibur and won't be as long as he remains as stressed out as he obviously is. He needs a stronger personality with him on C9, someone that can co-draft and run ideas by - similar to LightofHeaven in the Navi glory days

Up against all global? Try multiple hoods After buying multiple hoods I had 78% magic resistance. Double zeus ult followed by NP ult bounced off.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1126446631

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    Up against all global? Try multiple hoods After buying multiple hoods I had 78% magic resistance. Double zeus ult followed by NP ult bounced off.

you wouldnt spin when the first one hits? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

grizzly wrote: »

Are you sure they stack as I am pretty sure they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Last night, I noticed the tooltip is gone. Nothing specifies whether they stack or have diminishing returns. Would seem rather op if this is true.

Kunkka wrote: »
    Are you sure they stack as I am pretty sure they don't?

im pretty sure its diminished stacking. like 30% for the first one, 15 for the next and so on. could be wrong here but thats how it was in dota 1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The formula is:
    magical damage × ( 1 + magic amplification ) × ( 1 - 0.25 natural resistance ) × ( 1 − magic resistance of item ) × ( 1 − magic resistance of first ability ) × ( 1 − magic resistance of second ability ) = actual damage

So base is 25%, one cloak is 47.5%, two cloaks is 63.25%, three is 74.275% and so on.

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    The formula is:
    magical damage × ( 1 + magic amplification ) × ( 1 - 0.25 natural resistance ) × ( 1 − magic resistance of item ) × ( 1 − magic resistance of first ability ) × ( 1 − magic resistance of second ability ) = actual damage

So base is 25%, one cloak is 47.5%, two cloaks is 63.25%, three is 74.275% and so on.

Gotcha, knew it wasn't the full amount.

Im constantly told in Dota matches that my mic is too low. I've put the mic voice levels up to max in both the OS options and the Dota settings.
    I don't have trouble otherwise e.g. using my mic in others games/Skype/Teamspeak. Just in game Dota chat (I'm on a PC running Windows 7 with a Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset).

This sniper had a build I hadn't seen before. Seemed to work pretty well for him.

This sniper had a build I hadn't seen before. Seemed to work pretty well for him.

That game reminded me of a horrible gank. I (veno) pushed the top lane up until the T2 tower and left the lane via the radiant secret shop. I placed a few plague wards along the way and got to the top rune area. Mirana pushed the creep wave back and followed my plague wards, killing them. KOTL was in the river area directly above the secret shop and started casting illuminate towards Mirana and started pinging like crazy. Sniper was at the edge of the dire jungle, on top of KOTL, and cast assassinate. Between the damage from my wards and everything else, Mirana got killed when there was nobody near her. I actually felt bad for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Been playing a stupid amount of Omniknight recently, think me might be my favourite hero. 80% winrate with him too which is nice.

Been playing a stupid amount of Omniknight recently, think me might be my favourite hero. 80% winrate with him too which is nice.

He carries a hammer to nail down their sins

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqpIP_SCGO5TlFbcZ_D7H65R-KrLaE5eZ3Am2t5098YSk8cwFQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

what a horrible evening of dota i had.

first game - we pick 3 supports first and call for two carries. the guys pick spiritbreaker and ember spirit, the guy playing ember spirit claims he is unbeatable with EB. game starts and ember gets raped 3 or 4 times in mid by a **** pudge. meanwhile spiritbreaker decides to go rambo solo all over the map starting 1 v 2 fights and getting similarly raped. needless to say we lost.

second game - we completely dominate and are about 5 minutes, one final push from the win when our wraith king, who has been annoying all game doesn't take kindly to some advice someone gives and destroys all his items and begins to feed himself and multiple couriers. we get stomped.

third game - wraith king top lane feeds 5 times in 10 minutes, while our slark, not to be outdone feeds the same amount to a pugde at mid, then starts 1 v 3 fights and roars at me for not going to my death with him. then proceeds to roar over the mic in some language i can't understand repeatedly. when we ask the enemy to finish fast at 15-0 they decide to take it really slow.

*sigh*

froog wrote: »

first game - we pick 3 supports first and call for two carries. the guys pick spiritbreaker and ember spirit, the guy playing ember spirit claims he is unbeatable with EB. game starts and ember gets raped 3 or 4 times in mid by a **** pudge. meanwhile spiritbreaker decides to go rambo solo all over the map starting 1 v 2 fights and getting similarly raped. needless to say we lost.

second game - we completely dominate and are about 5 minutes, one final push from the win when our wraith king, who has been annoying all game doesn't take kindly to some advice someone gives and destroys all his items and begins to feed himself and multiple couriers. we get stomped.

third game - wraith king top lane feeds 5 times in 10 minutes, while our slark, not to be outdone feeds the same amount to a pugde at mid, then starts 1 v 3 fights and roars at me for not going to my death with him. then proceeds to roar over the mic in some language i can't understand repeatedly. when we ask the enemy to finish fast at 15-0 they decide to take it really slow.

*sigh*

dota 2015

I've lost 12 of my last 15 fights. For 3 fights in a row, the same damn thing happened. We dominated early game, other team has a single ragequitter. Our team tries to finish fast, gets careless, feeds enemy carries and we lose.

I've had bad runs before, but this weekend is the first time I've genuinely felt like uninstalling

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

froog wrote: »

*sigh*

I hadn't played in about 2 weeks until last night, played 3 games and they were eerily similar to yours.

• Advertisement

I've just stopped public play altogether. I player base is just a pit of snarling little cretins who are over-sensitive fannies nowadays. "ward there or you will get ganked" -> "rage rage rage f**k you place your own wards blablabla I hate being bad". Just play the odd pickup with people I know instead. Far less drama and you don't have to deal with 'matchmaking'

BMMachine wrote: »
    I've just stopped public play altogether. I player base is just a pit of snarling little cretins who are over-sensitive fannies nowadays. "ward there or you will get ganked" -> "rage rage rage f**k you place your own wards blablabla I hate being bad". Just play the odd pickup with people I know instead. Far less drama and you don't have to deal with 'matchmaking'

Had an awful game like that recently, a PA who fed constantly and of course blamed the team, when I pointed out to him that he was the same MMR bracket as us (admittedly low, pro tip don't do calibration with 100ish games), he spouted the cliched "because of people like you guys" line. Thankfully in the end we won due to a competent Mirana and Zeus, but fucking hell it was a nightmare having to listen to him whine all game.

Had an awful game like that recently, a PA who fed constantly and of course blamed the team, when I pointed out to him that he was the same MMR bracket as us (admittedly low, pro tip don't do calibration with 100ish games), he spouted the cliched "because of people like you guys" line. Thankfully in the end we won due to a competent Mirana and Zeus, but fucking hell it was a nightmare having to listen to him whine all game.

MMR means nothing at all and you shouldnt be using that as a stick to beat people with, whether yours is higher than theirs or "you are in the same bracket" schtick. Matchmaking (in normals anyway) is a complete clusterf**k with no semblance of balance at all. Its down to luck (again, normals). I know a lot of people won't like hearing that or whatnot but with my pretty vast experience this is the only solution I can come up with after analysing literally hundreds of games. How matchmaking decides what it considers fair is absolutely abhorrent and is not a scale to measure your skill on when compared to others in the same 'bracket'

BMMachine wrote: »
    MMR means nothing at all and you shouldnt be using that as a stick to beat people with, whether yours is higher than theirs or "you are in the same bracket" schtick. Matchmaking (in normals anyway) is a complete clusterf**k with no semblance of balance at all. Its down to luck (again, normals). I know a lot of people won't like hearing that or whatnot but with my pretty vast experience this is the only solution I can come up with after analysing literally hundreds of games. How matchmaking decides what it considers fair is absolutely abhorrent and is not a scale to measure your skill on when compared to others in the same 'bracket'

Totally agree that the matchmaking system is broken, difference between some players I've played with and against that supposedly have the same MMR can be monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Haven't played in 2 weeks...afraid to go back without 5 man team. Just takes one pickup to ruin everything. At least with 5 you can talk and see where you went wrong/what picks were wrong/ganks/mid etc etc etc. Usually it's the lack of communication that makes things all go to sh*t. Plus winning as a team feels better than getting lucky playing single.

Especially if the pickup decides to be Spirit Breaker and goes on absolutely insane kamikaze missions :D Always loved laughing at those while he's traveling up from base to try get revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

MMR in Freefall. Can't win a game at the moment no matter how I play. I had taken to abandoning before the end of the draft, if the draft was particularly bad or if anyone picked drow ranger. A look through my games shows that any time I have a Drow on my team I lose 90%. I don't understand how the hero is balanced because all I see is feed.

This game, the guy first picks Drow and before I reach for the disconnect button I check him out on dotabuff and see that he has won 10 of his last 11 games with the hero. So I play anyway and I'm 9-1-XX in the mid game on Clock, at which point drow has called gg 10 times already even though we have a Meepo and 15K XP lead. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed that Ogre was on my mute list before the game he was largely the one that lost it for us.

Can't catch a ****ing break at all. -500 MMR in a month. It's ****ing Bingo.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1145771824

I've lost a lot of interest in Dota recently. Just not as fun anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

come to csgo man with me :D

come to csgo man with me :D

I'm painfully bad at it. I wasn't an awful CS:S player too which is annoying but games like that need constant practice to be decent which I don't have time for Paul :( . Exams, work & other life stuff getting in the way of my gaming it's a sad ****ing time! :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Heros of the Storm is open beta from the 13th. It is totally Dota-lite, but it is a hell of a lot of fun! It has dragged me away from LoL and Dota for the last few months.

Advertisement