Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you thought when you were younger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I thought there was this kind of ceiling above the clouds if you went up high enough kind of like with arches like the inside ceiling of a fancy church. And that heaven was probablyon the other side. Well I was only 4.

I had no knowledge or concept of racism. The guy who mistreated the black guy in movies etc was a villain and a scary bad guy who deserved a bad end and nothing more complex than that. Then we had immigration and for some reason I was supposed to feel guilty for who I am because hysterical special interest quango press releases called all Irish people racist and seemed quite happy to associate me with the actions of others.

I thought bad people get what they deserve and that everybody would work towards this outcome unless they were the bad guy. As I get older I realize they get guaranteed pensions and that good people don't always get rewarded or recognised.

I thought life was very simple divided into good people and bad people for a very long time. Now I realize many people never paid attention to any of that and mess around in a grey area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

I thought the players in the fifa soccer videogames were the real players in a warehouse somewhere. I thought what I was watching was them in mo-cap suits responding to my button pressing and that being fed to my screen. I also remember visiting England and being shocked the people there didnt speak Irish, cause we spoke English here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

I thought sanitary towels were for putting on face cream and make up. I actually put some on one and rubbed it on my face :(

I thought people posted letters by leaving them in the letterbox at home and the postman would collect them when he delivered the post.

I thought lollipops came from trees and you could grow a tree by planting a lollipop stick.

I thought that Madonna was actually related to Jesus and just happened to be a singer but was really famous cos of Jesus.

I was ate the legs first off little gummi bears so that if they came to life they couldnt run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That there were monsters in the toilet ready to attack me when I was having a pooh!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Beat up a friend of mine when he said the Earth was round, I thought it was rectangular shaped.

I thought Dracula slept in my wardrobe at night.

When I went on holiday with my parents, I had to check every pool very carefully to make sure Jaws didn't live in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 theneed2rock

that if you woke up when the tooth fairy arrived you'd get less money

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

James__10 wrote: »
    Thunder was when god was moving his furniture and Lightning was men god was messing with his light switches :o

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I thought Don Cockburn who used to the news on RTE in the 80s was my dad....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thought bottles of holy water were filled from the holy see...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

1. That if you slept with your head under the pillow the tooth-fairy would take all your teeth.

2. That one of my class mates had a brother called Sinbad (his name was Sebastian)

3. If you pick dandelions you will wet the bed

4. Thought I could make bowls and plates out of muck and water and attempted to do that several times

5. Cutting my own hair when I was about 8 seemed like a good idea

6. When you grow up you must smoke (sure everyone smoked in the 80's anyway)

feck I was one naive sprog! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I thought that the 'Celtic Tiger' was a dangerous cat roaming the Irish countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Masturbation makes you go blind.
    hbert wrote: »
    I thought people posted letters by leaving them in the letterbox at home and the postman would collect them when he delivered the post.

Makes sense tbh, that's how they do it in our office complex

The postman delivers the post and collects the new post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

when i was really young I always wondered why when asked if they want cash back, people generally said no... why would you refuse free money??!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Monsters under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I used think in bank holidays that the actual bank buildings themselves went on holidays. Just picture it, the AIB Lynchs Castle branch (Galway) making sandcastles with the Eyre Square Ulster Bank building and the bank of Ireland Eyre Square building walking about with a bucket and spade with swimming trunks on.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I used think in bank holidays that the actual bank buildings themselves went on holidays. Just picture it, the AIB Lynchs Castle branch (Galway) making sandcastles with the Eyre Square Ulster Bank building and the bank of Ireland Eyre Square building walking about with a bucket and spade with swimming trunks on.

Ah bless - thats cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There a convent in our town, Nenagh

And the only zebra crossing in the town was outside the convent

Da mammy anxious to ensure I didn't run across the road told me zebra crossings were black and white as only the nuns were allowed use them, they wore black and white gowns

Makes sense, I believed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭lau1247

I thought if I ate seeds from an apple a tree would grow inside me!!

aren't you glad you believed it cos they contain cyanide..
    i believed that same effect would happen with watermelon

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

lau1247 wrote: »
    aren't you glad you believed it cos they contain cyanide..
    i believed that same effect would happen with watermelon

Geezus :eek: I always eat the apple core pips and all :eek::eek: because my nana always said you would get long curly hair if you do and I believed that as a child and now I still eat the core and pips out of habit now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

When I was very young I used to hear my parents talking about what to get for Tamara's dinner a lot. I watched Sister Sister at the time so totally assumed Tamara was a person. After hearing this conversation dozens of times I finally asked my Mam who this Tamara person was they were always buying dinner for only to be informed that, in fact, it was tomorrow's dinner they were talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I thought that girls pee'd out their vagina, as if it was some sort of super hole. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭lau1247

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Geezus :eek: I always eat the apple core pips and all :eek::eek: because my nana always said you would get long curly hair if you do and I believed that as a child and now I still eat the core and pips out of habit now :eek:

yep try not to from here on..

One apple or so is ok i think (I'm not an expert) but probably if you eat a few it might be serious.. I only know about it because recently i read an article from yahoo uk site about everyday food that might be harmful

Not the exact same article but same list of items from yahoo's list

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-toxic-foods-we-love-to-eat.php

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Took me years to figure out that the 'Pa-send-ger' side of a car actually meant the 'passenger' side. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

That the fumes from car exhausts pushed the cars along

i thought the baby jesus, born in december, was crucified at easter when he was 33 years old, thought he was magic to be 33 years old in a few months.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

bubblypop wrote: »
    i thought the baby jesus, born in december, was crucified at easter when he was 33 years old, thought he was magic to be 33 years old in a few months.......

I thought ''Christ'' was his surname until I was 13.

e.g Mary Christ , Joseph Christ etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Just recently found out, via Extras, that Ross Kemp is not one of the Kemp brothers.

Deep, burning shame. :o

Edit: I also you used to think your man from the Prodigy would get me while I was asleep, because he was obviously some
    sort of devil, hence being a "Firestarter".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I thought that girls pee'd out their vagina, as if it was some sort of super hole. :eek:
    You think that's bad. A mate of mine thought the same only his wife was pregnant at the time he mentioned it to us, he was about 25. Cue silent raising of eyebrows all round. He's probably still none the wiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I thought cats were female dogs.;)

Advertisement