Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you thought when you were younger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One more

"Now go to peace to love and serve the lord" says the priest as Mass is finishing, maybe not the exact words, something like that

"Thanks be to God" says everyone with a heavy sigh

I thought that was cheeky, thanks be to god this Mass is over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭sophieblake

I thought a scallion was grass cos the end looked like it and one day i ate grass and got so sick.

I thought teachers lived at school and that all the beds were in the staff room.

I thought people in films that kissed had plastic on their mouths so their lips didn't actually touch.

I thought all boys were rough and ugly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I thought Fianna Fáil was the Taoiseach's name

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought the y at the end of the Disney logo was a silent p.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

When I was a small child I thought my daddy was a giant. My mam is 5ft and my dad's 6ft1 and I was probably 4 or 5 years old so it made sense to me that mammy must have married a giant. :o

I thought that you became pregnant when you decided you wanted to have a baby. I didn't understand the mechanics of it. I thought when you became an adult you just asked God for a baby and he put one in your tummy. It's also why I never understood why I never got a sibling even though I kept asking my parents for one.
    I also thought that when the baby was born, it came out your bum. :p

I thought brown Smarties and M&M's made you sick so I threw them away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Girls were yacky- wait,...,still do! The hack of your gash!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

bb1234567 wrote: »
    a few ones i remember:p i used to think you got way taller on your birthday. like say im 6 years old night before my bday and im 7 the next day straight away that morning id go measure myself and expected to be a few inches taller:p.

Before my fifth birthday everyone was telling me "you'll be a big girl when you're five". Now, in my imagination, this meant that I should shoot up overnight to the height of our next door neighbour, who was several years older, and tall, so my definition of a "big girl".

I was really disappointed on the morning of my birthday, to find I was exactly the same size - no overnight sprouting! I spent the day complaining to my family "But, I don't look five". :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

mikemac wrote: »
    One more

"Now go to peace to love and serve the lord" says the priest as Mass is finishing, maybe not the exact words, something like that

"Thanks be to God" says everyone with a heavy sigh

I thought that was cheeky, thanks be to god this Mass is over :)

Lol, I used to think the exact same.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I thought that girls did not fart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I was convinced that if a woman was pregnant she was going to have a girl. Obviously boy babies were birthed by men.:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

i believed it was Fran San Cisco because F was first in the alphbet

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I thought there were people in the radio and the tv.

When I was small I was in a shop where there were embroidered Celtic designs. I remember pointing to one like this http://www.zazzle.com/celtic_knot_animal_magnet_photosculpture-153562535353902133 and I asked my mum if that was the Celtic tiger :o

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I thought Gerry Adams name was Sinn Fein.

I though Gerry Adams was mute and that's why an actor would speak for him, when he was doing interviews.

I thought the Beatles song "Let it Be" was actually "Leaded Bean". I'd heard a lot about leaded and unleaded petrol at the time. I wasn't too sure what a leaded bean was but I used to sing about them nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

I was staying in my aunt and uncles house when I was a kid in 200. I remember over hearing about the celtic tiger and had this vision of a green and white striped tiger prowling around. Didn't sleep a wink for a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I thought the world didn't turn to colour until about the 1960s, before that everything was black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Before my fifth birthday everyone was telling me "you'll be a big girl when you're five". Now, in my imagination, this meant that I should shoot up overnight to the height of our next door neighbour, who was several years older, and tall, so my definition of a "big girl".

I was really disappointed on the morning of my birthday, to find I was exactly the same size - no overnight sprouting! I spent the day complaining to my family "But, I don't look five". :o

Exact same thing, except when I turned four. The primary school had (mistakenly) offered me a place a year early, but then compromised that I could only start after I turned four, so I started school on my fourth birthday (in October).

The night before my birthday, I was convinced I would wake up really tall, like the girls who lived across the road from me who I only ever saw in school uniforms :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I didn't find out until i was 17 that oral sex didn't mean kissing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I believed all my dads stories an example was that he had 8 brothers and sisters(true) and for dinner every day they would have one slice of bread sliced up between em with either one pea or bean each(untrue). To this day I can actually visualise it. I also believed that he and his siblings slept under the kitchen table(i hope this is not true). Many more including the witch who lived next door. Gullible

I now enjoy filling my 5 year olds head with tall tales. I have him convinced America is work of fiction and a big hoax. I'll tell him the truth soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I thought when it rained it rained everywhere and so wondered why there was drought in Africa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

PlainP wrote: »
    I thought when it rained it rained everywhere and so wondered why there was drought in Africa!

I didnt think it rained everywhere, however I did wonder why they didn't helicopter water to africa from ireland. Stupid grownups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

That adults were always in control and always knew exactly what to do and when to do it.

Not stumble around in a daze having absolutely no idea what you're doing or what you're going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

My dad informed me that chewing gum was made from cats guts and that if you swallowed it it would get tangled up inside of you... Took me a while to figure out that one wasnt true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

When I was little I thought what that man did to me was normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

We neverhad a dishwasher, one time at was at some relations house who did and helped clean up after dinner putting the dishes in the dishwasher. I took extreme care doing this making sure the plates were wedged tightly in the little gaps for them because I was under the impression that when you closed the door and turned it on it would spin around like a washing machine:o

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

I used to think that the reason Santy Claus never visited all the starving kids in Africa because they all obviously lived in the desert there was no snow there..

That my parents bought my wee sister from a shop and that there was just a shop somewhere full of babies and you could go pick which one you wanted.

Up untill i was about 6 i used to pee in the fireplace.. I saw my cousin doing it once so i thought it was perfectly all right. Couldn't understand why mum was so angry when she caught me.

Also that thing about everything being in black and white back in the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

When it was raining 'god' had a tap on, or he was peeing on us!

I could do everything as a profession at once!

Sex ment that you poked a woman in the bellybutton with your penis.

Black people were made of chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I thought that planting skittles in the ground really would produce a skittle-wielding rainbow....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

mikemac wrote: »
    Remember MacGuyver, there was a story going around for years that the actor was killed in an explosion while filming. I was saddened :(
    I told that story to many people, fully believed it

In school we used to get stars if our Irish writing was correct
    If you watch Nuacht the text is divided with stars, wow those newsreaders get everything right. I was impressed :cool:

Finally, watch the news or even read AH and it'll Judge LaFoy or Judge Carney and so on
    I thought you were not allowed be a judge if your name was not judge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Thunder was when god was moving his furniture and Lightning was men god was messing with his light switches :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

could not understand why no one seemed to come out of a turf accountant with a bag of turf.
    Also why no letter box on the pole that said post no bills

Advertisement