Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gays want to take over the rest of Society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

4leto wrote: »
    What about our right to criticise a journalists opinion.

You have that right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to post on this thread, such as thread wouldn't exist probably. But people have been advocating that this article shouldn't have been allowed to have been printed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Newsite wrote: »
    It means 'fear of homosexuals'. You have no evidence to accuse him of such, he is voicing an opinion to which he is entitled.
    What about this journalist's right to offer his opinion?
    Yes thats the literal interpretation. But when people use the term thats not whats meant, is it. Can you show me where in any of my previous comments I said that the journalist wasnt free to express himself. If you do, give me your address and I'll fcukin mail you a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

koth wrote: »
    Do you also hold the same contempt for parents who use IVF?

The natural parents are still raising the kid in that case. They have a male parent and a female parent as it should be imo. They have the male and female influence growing up. They see that family unit as the norm and hopefully will go on to raise their kids in the same type of family unit. Much the same as 99.9% of the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

You have that right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to post on this thread, such as thread wouldn't exist probably. But people have been advocating that this article shouldn't have been allowed to have been printed!

I do find the article objectional, but I would never have agreed to that, he has a right to express his opinion and I am glad I live in a country that allows that.

But it is not a particularly good article, so on those grounds if I was the editor with standards (but it is the sindo) I would not have published the article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Dudess wrote: »
    It's utterly retarded to say people support gay rights in order to be fashionable/liberal. Yet even some intelligent people still say it.
    And I love the reverse PC brigade who defend a person's right to post unsubstantiated drivel. Maybe if they bothered to support a word they say they wouldn't be jumped on. But oh no... it's "liberal" bullying... ****ing joke.

I can't find any reference to anybody saying "people support gay rights to be liberal/fashionable" so not sure who you are venting against

i agree wholeheartedly with your post just before this one which took issue with the article not so much because of the opinion it expressed but how it expressed it and the you acknowledged that both sides can be ott, radicals radicalise their own group and the opposition - again completely correct, a fair comment

however then this post which i think is ott

comments like "utterly retarded", "unsubstantiated drivel", "****ing joke" and on top of that the wholly speculative assumption that the reverse pc brigade don't support a word they say, i'm not sure that kind of language is necessary or helpful and it slighly contradicts the earlier point that tone is key and we should be mindful of it

it also perhaps points to the groupthink element that fuels radicals on either side i.e. people feel more free to adopt a more aggressive tone if they see others in their proximity (Virtual or otherwise) who share their view

usually in my opinion you are quite reasonable and open-minded so do you agree with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

woodoo wrote: »
    The natural parents are still raising the kid in that case. They have a male parent and a female parent as it should be imo. They have the male and female influence growing up. They see that family unit as the norm and hopefully will go on to raise their kids in the same type of family unit. Much the same as 99.9% of the planet.

Good old Christian family values

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

but they didn't conceive the child the "proper" way. And you're also presuming things there. Gay or lesbian couples can use IVF with the help of a sperm/egg donor to conceive a child. And the child would then be raised by a gay/lesbian couple.

The norm is a very subjective thing btw. If you grow up in an area of high poverty, it is highly likely that the family unit that is seen as the "norm" is a single mother raising the kids by herself.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What about couples that use sperm donation? Or have to have another woman carry the child because the "mother" is unable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I think you need to take a long hard look at that figure you just plucked out of the air to give your view some credibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

donfers wrote: »
    well then you completely missed and misunderstood the point i'm afraid

Okay.

seems like the most intelligent thing to do would be to ignore it and not dignify it with a response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The natural parents are still raising the kid in that case. They have a male parent and a female parent as it should be imo.

Should eh? Still don't want to tell us WHY you feel they should?

You seem to want to air your opinions but don't want people to know the reasons for these opinions.

I'll ask again, do you hold these opinions through actual critical thinking? I suspect that you do not. I suspect that you are a vehicle for generic opinions and listen to anything just because it's "normal".

"99.9% of the world says this, I must say it too to seem normal. No thinking for me".

Elaborate, go on. Give yourself some credibility. Because right now it seems to me that you are just a sheep who believes anything you are told and regurgitates whatever it is you think you should be seen as saying!

Much the same as 99.9% of the planet.

Not even 99.9% of my street has a family unit with a man, woman and child. You're talking nonsense. Again, just talking for the sake of it without thinking!

BBDBB wrote: »
    I think you need to take a long hard look at that figure you just plucked out of the air to give your view some credibility

Single parents would change that figure no doubt. Its still man and women creating a child. Not man and man or woman and woman.

But two gay parents wouldn't dent that figure much.

Single parents would change that figure no doubt. Its still man and women creating a child. Not man and man or woman and woman.

Hold on............ do you think that when 2 gay people adopt a child that somehow this child hasn't been created by a man and a woman?

You know the adopted child would have been conceived in the normal way right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What about couples that use sperm donation?
    Cheaters!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yes thats the literal interpretation. But when people use the term thats not whats meant, is it. Can you show me where in any of my previous comments I said that the journalist wasnt free to express himself. If you do, give me your address and I'll fcukin mail you a tenner.

I never said you did and I don't want your money. I'm asking a question.

The man is voicing an opinion which is doubtless held by a large % of the population. But you don't hear about it so often because people have become too afraid to speak out, lest they be seen as being 'un-PC'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Squall19 wrote: »
    I dont care about marriage.

But gays raising kids, adoption, that's sick:mad:

Go make children the proper way sickos.

Take your hatred elsewhere.

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

so the figure is innaccurate, Im glad you see that.

single parents - yes
    foster parents?
    adoptive parents?
    kids in care homes?
    kids on the street?
    kids who are orphaned?
    take a long hard look around the planet at the poverty and the kids in need of care, any kind of care, just someone who gives a damn if they live or die today and take your view of what constitutes "the norm" and ask if those kids wouldnt be better off with someone who loves them and takes care of them regardless of their sexual preference.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Should eh? Still don't want to tell us WHY you feel they should?

You seem to want to air your opinions but don't want people to know the reasons for these opinions.

I'll ask again, do you hold these opinions through actual critical thinking? I suspect that you do not. I suspect that you are a vehicle for generic opinions and listen to anything just because it's "normal".

"99.9% of the world says this, I must say it too to seem normal. No thinking for me".

Elaborate, go on. Give yourself some credibility. Because right now it seems to me that you are just a sheep who believes anything you are told and regurgitates whatever it is you think you should be seen as saying!

Not even 99.9% of my street has a family unit with a man, woman and child. You're talking nonsense. Again, just talking for the sake of it without thinking!

I'm talking about the ideal family unit. A blueprint that has worked down the years. Man and women create child, rare that child. Male parental influence and female parental influence. Minimal outside influence or help from sperm doners and what not. Less chance of being bullied. Other families may work practically but they are not what i'd call ideal.

If you don't believe children with gay parents wouldn't get bullied you would be wrong. I've had to correct my son from homophobic remarks he picked up at school. He is 12 and is repulsed by homosexuals and his friends are too. I remember the same at school. You can't wish that away. The world is not as you wish it to be.

I don't ever see a time where gay marriage and adoption are accepted around the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Okay.

"seems like the most intelligent thing to do would be to ignore it and not dignify it with a response "

err...............taking one half-sentence out a post does not necessarily equate to illustrating the point of it, however we are in danger of getting into a pedantic tit for tat here

you think my post was a giant contradiction, that's fair enough, I understand why some would see elements of hypocrasy there

however I would argue the point of my post was, as I previously stated, that a true liberal should strive always to be more tolerant of others views no matter how bigoted and to register their dissatisfaction in more effective and intelligent ways than writing an angry post on an internet forum

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A man can never have maternal qualities that only a Mother has.Any Widower left with young children knows that fact very well.The Brazen arrogance of people to argue the contrary is to spit and insult the wisdom of many generations gone by.Women have a natural style with making a house a home and men can never do that no matter how good as fathers they are.It's something intrinsic in a woman's spirit.I have seen homes become like mausoleums after the Women died but it survives the demise of the man and there is no easy explanation for it.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hold on............ do you think that when 2 gay people adopt a child that somehow this child hasn't been created by a man and a woman:

Of course they are that is perfectly natural ;)

donfers wrote: »
    that a true liberal should strive always to be more tolerant of others views no matter how bigoted and to register their dissatisfaction in more effective and intelligent ways than writing an angry post on an internet forum

I'll agree with you on that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

paddyandy wrote: »
    A man can never have maternal qualities that only a Mother has.Any Widower left with young children knows that fact very well.The Brazen arrogance of people to argue the contrary is to spit and insult the wisdom of many generations gone by.Women have a natural style with making a house a home and men can never do that no matter how good as fathers they are.It's something intrinsic in a woman's spirit.I have seen homes become like mausoleums after the Women died but it survives the demise of the man and there is no easy explanation for it.

Too right! We should take widowers' children into care and give them to lesbian couples for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gorteenman

I just read the article about an hour ago before logging on or seeing this thread, I was really shocked to read such a negative article in a national newspaper. I have no idea who the journalist is or what his issues are but I have learnt (as a homosexual of a certain age!!) that people who use the phrase "some of my best friends are gay" usually follow it with some vicious attack! What amazed me was his attitude to gay marriage and adoption. I have no wish to adopt a child but if I was a single gay man I could at least apply to do so, as half of a gay couple thats not an option....And as one half of a gay couple I have no interest in civil partnership...if we are not allowed to get married then every other thing offered by civil partnership we can arrange in a solicitors office...Any straight man ever feel moved to get down on one knee to ask someone to become their civil parter?? Not exactly romantic!!! His whole gay press argument simply highlights the diversity of gay life ...or indeed life in general..in my naievity I had hoped those days were over but indeed they are not...wonder if a gay president would have changed that or was ever a real possibility!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I never said you did and I don't want your money. I'm asking a question.

The man is voicing an opinion which is doubtless held by a large % of the population. But you don't hear about it so often because people have become too afraid to speak out, lest they be seen as being 'un-PC'.

Yet that article got printed in the best selling newspaper in the country, the same one Myers writes for and there are plenty of threads on here dissenting with "liberal" topics.

Personally I think hetrosexual society is too sexualised and free today. Loads of people disagree with that but I don't think they are "pc, liberals" or I think it's an "un-PC" thought.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Of course they are that is perfectly natural ;)

What makes something unnatural?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm talking about the ideal family unit. A blueprint that has worked down the years. Man and women create child, rare that child. Male parental influence and female parental influence. Minimal outside influence or help from sperm doners and what not. Less chance of being bullied. Other families may work practically but they are not what i'd call ideal.

If you don't believe children with gay parents wouldn't get bullied you would be wrong. I've had to correct my son from homophobic remarks he picked up at school. He is 12 and is repulsed by homosexuals and his friends are too. I remember the same at school. You can't wish that away. The world is not as you wish it to be.

I don't ever see a time where gay marriage and adoption are accepted around the world.

My nephew is 12. He doesnt have any problems with gay people and certainly never said he was repulsed by a gay person or any other human for that matter. Maybe its the way he was raised.

People didnt see a time when women could vote, when people of different races could marry or when homosexuality could be decriminalised, but the world changes all the time. It was a very different world 20 years ago and it'll be a very different world 20 years from now.

Not being natural.

Some people don't seem to realise that gay people were created inside nature the same way they were.

But seriously, this guy has put absolutely no thinking into his views and opinions. He just thinks this way because he always has. he has at no point given any reason as to why he believes what he does.

I seriously think there's no point addressing him anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

paddyandy wrote: »

As someone who was raised by a widower, I can safely say you're talking out your ass. Nothing more than out-dated gender stereotyping crap.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement