Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gays want to take over the rest of Society?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

woodoo wrote: »
    No Mr Muffins i mean not fair as in you can't always get what you want in life.

BTW is there any countries that have successfully brought in Gay Marriage and Adoption. Is it working?

Spain, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, The Netherlands, South Africa, to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jesus!!

So you've been talking all this rubbish without having a clue what you're on about? Why am I not surprised?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_adoption#Legal_status_around_the_world

I'm not particularly interested in the subject other than i would vote against it in a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Banned for this post??? I can't see anything in this post that breaks the AH charter.

Just proves that if you are on the wrong side of the argument your finished. Nice health debate :rolleyes:

he was warned a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not particularly interested in the subject other than i would vote against it in a referendum.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Amazing, you would base your vote on absolutely no reasoning, no research, no thinking, you just would?

Some people are undeserving of democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Banned for this post??? I can't see anything in this post that breaks the AH charter.

Just proves that if you are on the wrong side of the argument your finished. Nice health debate :rolleyes:

He was banned for ignoring a moderator warning.

If you wish to discuss it further then pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

If you don't believe children with gay parents wouldn't get bullied you would be wrong. I've had to correct my son from homophobic remarks he picked up at school. He is 12 and is repulsed by homosexuals and his friends are too. I remember the same at school. You can't wish that away. The world is not as you wish it to be.

It's been around 8 years since I was twelve but I wasn't homophobic then and I'm still not (homophobic children are in the minority). Kids get bullied for any old thing. You know there was a period in time not so long ago when black children were bullied for being black (Granted it still happens but not to the same scale). So by this logic, no black people should have children. And it'd also go against cross-racial marriage. Actually for that matter, children get bullied over being adopted too.....
    By allowing same sex adoption, you'd most likely get a small bit of bullying. But children tend to be better at adapting than their parents and would quickly get used to it.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Amazing, you would base your vote on absolutely no reasoning, no research, no thinking, you just would?

No i base it on my strong belief in the ideal family unit. Man Woman and Child. Its simply that.

I seen the photo of Elton John and his man with their baby. It just looked odd to me i'm afraid. When you look at them you just know they didn't create that child they got help and plenty of it. Not particularly natural.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Feck sake :rolleyes:

I don't know what his problem is, I take people as they come ... ahem ... as I find them I meant to say.

As long as people don't try to impose their religion / sexuality etc. there's no big deal.

At the end of the day, for example, I don't go around looking at hetero couples and wonder what they'll get up to between the sheets later! *

* Well not most of the time anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nobody deserves democracy. It's a ridiculous setup when 49.99% of people can be dictated to by the rest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You know what the mad thing is about this debate? It's totally beside the point.

Why? Gay couples can already raise children together. They can adopt children as individuals, just not as couples. They can opt for donor sperm or eggs.

The argument really is why are we preventing one member of a couple from being legally recognised as being a child's parent?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its an article written in the Irish Independent, it is aimed at Fianna Fail slack jawed yokels who like to attend mass and have a feed of spuds whilst hating them "English Protestants".

Who cares? is what I say; If a child is brought up in a stable and loving home by two men or women then it is all good, the child is nearly always better off and I don't think anyone whether they be homo or hetero wakes up one morning and decides lets adopt a child in the same whimsical way one might get a puppy for christmas.

When these debates come up people always try to make the arguments that gay men would not make good parents and almost go to the point of suggesting that gays who adopt children are some sort of pedophiles; which I may add is quite a low thing to say.

Once the child is happy and in a safe and loving environment then the gender of the parents should not matter. Many many people have been brought up in single sex parent households by their father and mother, quite often maybe with mother and grandmother and they have turned out just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

I agree with woodoo that the "ideal" situation would be for a child to be brought up by its natural mother and father as long as they provide a loving caring home.

However, I dont see that this precludes children being provided a loving, caring home by a same sex couple.

There are so many children in ireland and around the world who could benefit from a stable loving home, why should anyone deny this from them because the people willing to provide it are the same sex.

No i base it on my strong belief in the ideal family unit. Man Woman and Child. Its simply that.

Exactly. A "belief" which you've put no thought into. No critical thinking. No research, sought no evidence of the effects, just because you believe something for no reason. Something that the only opinion you've expressed you've expressed so far is because you thought Elton John looked odd with a baby.

Again, democracy deserves better than this and people like this NO NOT deserve democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gorteenman

I seen the photo of Elton John and his man with their baby. It just looked odd to me i'm afraid. When you look at them you just know they didn't create that child they got help and plenty of it. Not particularly natural.

Oh God ...Sad to see such views and ignorance,,,So Man Woman Child is the ideal family...Man beats woman....ideal family...Woman drinks a few vodkas during lunch and sleeps through afternoon...ideal family...man shags secretary and does heroin...ideal family...Is it all about gender?? Glad my dogs a boy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You know what the mad thing is about this debate? It's totally beside the point.

Why? Gay couples can already raise children together. They can adopt children as individuals, just not as couples. They can opt for donor sperm or eggs.

The argument really is why are we preventing one member of a couple from being legally recognised as being a child's parent?
    Thats the whole point dude. There are gay parents out there already but their children dont enjoy the same rights under the law as children of hetrosexual parents.

Da_Doc wrote: »
    There are so many children in ireland and around the world who could benefit from a stable loving home, why should anyone deny this from them because the people willing to provide it are the same sex.

Good question.

I'm afraid though that the best you'll get is "it's not natural".

We're 20 pages in and there hasn't been ONE well thought out and reasoned argument against gay couples adopting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

Jaysus,

That article should have been titled "Mein Camp"

Good question.

I'm afraid though that the best you'll get is "it's not natural".

We're 20 pages in and there hasn't been ONE well thought out and reasoned argument against gay couples adopting.

have you forgotten the shame of Parents Evening so soon?????????

BBDBB wrote: »
    have you forgotten the shame of Parents Evening so soon?????????

LOL!!! Made me iterally laugh out loud!!! Time for bed! As Sean Gallagher should have said "I'm out!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

WTF? Daft "article" from an ever increasingly daft publication. As Mikom mentioned earlier in the thread, I've recently a new puppy and I find that this paper is very absorbent of puppy excreta.. Not surprising given the excreta it willingly absorbs from it's writers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Gorteenman wrote: »
    Oh God ...Sad to see such views and ignorance,,,So Man Woman Child is the ideal family...Man beats woman....ideal family...Woman drinks a few vodkas during lunch and sleeps through afternoon...ideal family...man shags secretary and does heroin...ideal family...Is it all about gender?? Glad my dogs a boy!!!

No they are just examples of bad families.

*ahem

natural bad families

:)

but two men or two women who love thier child completely, care for him or her totally, give the child love and a stable environment...bad family because hey have the same gender????? Missus get real!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It takes a village to raise a child, unless a child is home-schooled and completely isolated then even with having one mother and one father they will be raised with more than one male role model and one female.
    Gay couples have parents and siblings just like everyone else, and these also will be there to raise a child, as with a straight couple.

I know that I don't really want to know what anyone, gay/straight/bi gets up to in their bedroom unless I'm there enjoying the fun too.

How boring are peoples lives if they have to worry about other peoples lives? Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

He's not criticising being gay, he's criticising the modern liberal belief that the opinions of a tiny minority of people should be given equal weight to that of mainstream society.

To an extent, he's right. Anyone saying that gays don't deserve equal rights in all things is accused of being homophobic since gays rights is the cause du jour.

At the same time, if Muslim immigrants wanted all public Christmas displays in Ireland banned for not giving Islam equal standing to mainstream Christianity, they'd be told to fúck off.

Does that tiny minority not derserve equal rights in everything?
    If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

mikom wrote: »
    The black agenda.
    1. interracial marriage
    2. interracial civil union
    3. interracial adoption
    4. Anti-'Hate' laws
    5. Black friendly school programs
    See how that works.

why are posters equating it with race?

are homosexuals a different race now?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I have relations who are gay - and married. So I can speak with some degree of 'experience'. The most disturbing thing about this whole thread is the way people who disagree with any gay agenda/rights/pencil in as necessary are jumped on almost immediately and accused of being 'homophobic', 'out of touch' etc etc.

This is life people. Others are entitled to an opinion. Many people - believe it or not - are indeed shocked by the behaviour of many LGBT people. I personally think there is nothing worse than a bunch of people parading down a street protesting their 'gay pride'. FFS what is all that about. Is there a 'heterosexual pride' day? No.

Indeed many in the gay community are embarrassed - to put it mildly - by such behavior (but will not voice their opinion for fear of ridicule). Just as gays and their supporters think that same sex relationships is perfectly normal, a huge number of people think the complete opposite - and they don't post on boards.ie.

Myself? Yes, it was a bit of a shock when my relation came out first. But it did not change my relationship with - and love for - that family member. And never will.

But really, as a heterosexual person, married for many years, it almost feels nowadays that WE are the ones being viewed freaks by the gay community, simply because some of us don't agree. It is completely ridiculous.

Good Post:)

in reference to the first point
    super-rush wrote: »
    Don't post in this thread again.

and yet no warning for this...
    Real men stick their dicks in anything :P

(and I can say that)

:rolleyes:

skregs wrote: »
    At the same time, if Muslim immigrants wanted all public Christmas displays in Ireland banned for not giving Islam equal standing to mainstream Christianity, they'd be told to fúck off.

What?? Did you think about this before you typed it?

Gay people aren't saying "Let's ban all things that aren't in line with our homosexuality". They want equality.

Your comparison makes no sense. A proper analogy would be if Muslim immigrants wanted to be able to celebrate Christmas alongside everyone else. I'd happily oblige, why wouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

skregs wrote: »
    He's not criticising being gay, he's criticising the modern liberal belief that the opinions of a tiny minority of people should be given equal weight to that of mainstream society.

To an extent, he's right. Anyone saying that gays don't deserve equal rights in all things is accused of being homophobic since gays rights is the cause du jour.

Does that tiny minority not derserve equal rights in everything?
    If not, why not?
    EVERYONE no matter there race, religion, sex, sexuality etc ALL deserve the exact same rights you get.
    Muslims dont want to take away christmas.
    Gays dont want to have sex with you.
    Travellers dont want to steal the clothes of your clothes line.
    EVERYONE is the same and EVERYONE deserves the same rights.

thebullkf wrote: »
    why are posters equating it with race?

are homosexuals a different race now?

No but they are included lalongside race, gender, married people and membership of travelling community in discrimination legislation.

and yet no warning for this...

:rolleyes:

Because the :p smiley makes it quite obvious it was a Tongue-in-Cheek remark.

Welcome to the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

What?? Did you think about this before you typed it?

Gay people aren't saying "Let's ban all things that aren't in line with our homosexuality". They want equality.

Your comparison makes no sense. A proper analogy would be if Muslim immigrants wanted to be able to celebrate Christmas alongside everyone else. I'd happily oblige, why wouldn't I?

A better analogy would be if Muslims wanted as many Ashura decorations going up as there are Christmas decorations, which still would never happen

Advertisement